FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

If the game sliders are anything like the camera adjust sliders then most of them are broken. I'll look to download the trial later but the game has a cartoon look which has never settled with me.

Every "new" feature EA brings to FIFA is a failure.
Hypermotion 2 is a joke. Players are now literally sliding all over the place, no physics are applied when it comes to stop and turn, passing is ridiculous in terms of speed, angle and accuracy (regarding body posture). Really, every year this game strays away from reminding of the real sport.
Kudos for net physics though, and that's all.

This game is not the worst game as some you are claiming. I am actually enjoying it atm. I am playing on Series X and this is definitely better than Fifa 22 in many aspects. I played a lot of Fifa 22 and i enjoyed it even though it has same major flaws like defending a.i. etc. But 23 improved upon 22 in many areas imo. Better defensive A.I., better psyhicality, better shooting, better crossing and heading, many more animations and other minor details make it better than 22. If you are expecting this game to be completely different than previous ones, i understand the disappointment but if you like Fifa 22, this is definitely better than 22.

Guys like I said above try out Old-gen, I was quite surprised how good the ai was defensively. Tracking my strikers, Cb's stepping up..they were compact. Lost both games, and keepers saving several shots inside the box even one on one 😄haven't played fifa in a while but this was on WC which was easy last time I played Fifa 22..
So far it's like I was assuming, the next gen seems to have bigger issues in that regard, I mean this was nothing like I've seen where defensive line is non existent etc. Much harder here to break them down, so far from what I've experienced
You did the test on both consoles?

This game is not the worst game as some you are claiming. I am actually enjoying it atm. I am playing on Series X and this is definitely better than Fifa 22 in many aspects. I played a lot of Fifa 22 and i enjoyed it even though it has same major flaws like defending a.i. etc. But 23 improved upon 22 in many areas imo. Better defensive A.I., better psyhicality, better shooting, better crossing and heading, many more animations and other minor details make it better than 22. If you are expecting this game to be completely different than previous ones, i understand the disappointment but if you like Fifa 22, this is definitely better than 22.
Wait until the inevitable patch though.

Seeing TheTrueBrits videos, it seems the high scorelines/lack of defence are because of a bug with slow game speed. Hopefully patched by EA at some point, but default speed with some sliders might be the way to go for some.

Still excited to play it in a couple weeks though 😁

I tried on Normal and had my first low score line but the game is far too fast at that speed.

Also, I remember a similar bug a couple of years ago on release, maybe Fifa 21?

The stuff I was reading the other about bugs never really getting fixed etc. year after year is probably true. The game is a mess at this point.

The stuff I was reading the other about bugs never really getting fixed
Yep. I also have vague recollection of a bug on slow speed in either F21 or F22 and it never got fixed.
They very rarely even attempt to fix things like this, coz you cant use slow speed online anyways.
They only tackle major eyesore bugs from online matches.
Acceleration slider affecting stamina has been there for years.

You did the test on both consoles?
No only Ps4. But I've seen so many comments everywhere and some impression videos from "Spoony Pizzas and TTB etc." and from the little I've played it wasn't that at all on Old-gen version. When I played vs Tottenham their midfielders even pressed me and played physical..wasn't easy to score. I'll play more today, test out more things
and see how it goes to confirm everything..

I think the old gen version is better than new gen. Especially it doesnt have the "Hypermotion" hectic movement - or at least not as much. But both games are not great -for me mainly because of bad ball physics. I really thought they wre on to something in the last years but this year its balloon ball fifa again.

If anyone has trouble getting onto the trial version on Xbox (there is a bug where the Xbox says "problem validating EA Play")...

This is the workaround:

Do we have a third user base for FIFA now? I see on Reddit a lot of people complaining about the ‘Pros’ calling the game too slow and that the game is fine as it is.

I could definitely see how this game would be playable as casual multiplayer.

Do we essentially now have an offline user base (most of us), online casuals and then the ‘pros’? It seems like it’s going to be an impossible task to produce a game that works for all, and the state of the game feels like one that is trying to do just that and fails at all.

Thinking about it’s been that way for a while but I guess the contrast in expectations is getting more evident.

Unfortunately the offline player base will be all but gone soon.

Do we essentially now have an offline user base (most of us), online casuals and then the ‘pros’? It seems like it’s going to be an impossible task to produce a game that works for all, and the state of the game feels like one that is trying to do just that and fails at all.

The problem is that only online matters because that's where the microtransactions are and you can't have people playing online with different options/gameplay. It has to be the same game. Online you can't even choose a different speed, use sliders, defending other than tactical, etc.

Stuff like scoring crazy power-shots from distance this year, or crazy bicycle kicks in Fifa 19 are things that EA includes for casuals. Pros hate them. So it depends what type of casual players are we talking about here. Are they casuals who want to play a football game like we do offline? I don't know. I'd like to see them complain about the non existent defending AI. I'm not sure at all they are casual like us just because they want a slower game, some of the dumbed down mechanics, like ping pong passing are designed for "casuals".

Last edited:
Awful game.

Playing on Legendary. The defending is useless. The bug that prevents defenders being able to catch attackers on the ball (on slow speed) is a bad joke. The midfield is completely abandoned. Again. You can literally get from goalkeeper to a shot on goal within 4 passes forward. So can the CPU. My last game ended up 6-6.

Glad I did not take the plunge early and buy it this year. No more money from me EA. End of.

I think the old gen version is better than new gen. Especially it doesnt have the "Hypermotion" hectic movement - or at least not as much. But both games are not great -for me mainly because of bad ball physics. I really thought they wre on to something in the last years but this year its balloon ball fifa again.
Seems it's much better, like I said, the ai is much better and more challenging. And as you pointed out, there's less sliding and twitchy movement, was thinking of that aswell. Also I didn't have any issues from the 2 games I played with the goalkeepers..

The ng version is far better than the old one. I've got the ultimate so i could switch between the two versions.

Hypermotion 2 is not bullshit when you can play slowly. When the game accelerates it doesn't use all the intermediate animations and you see this horrible sliding.

Last edited:
Seriously i have no issues playing on PS5 its far less twitchy than 22. The pace is nice, i am not seeing loads of goals, i am seeing quite a few fouls and the new partial press is working like a charm so defenders do track back and pretty effectively. I genuinely dont get the hate for it. I am waiting for a video against man utd to upload to youtube and ill post it. The game is solid

Yes, I was using that since my 1st game in the trial. The problem is not the user defending which can be solved either with partial press call or by switching to legacy defending. The major issue is that the cpu won't use it in any situation.
In the video you can see the incident where Messi is inside the box, user calls for partial press and the cpu Messi does a brain dead pass instead of shooting. This is the issue, incapable devs to code simple AI lines.
Cpu AI even slide dribbles when their marker is 5m away. It's unacceptable to release a football game with such huge fundamental issues. On Legendary (Normal speed) I can sprint from the midfield, changing slightly directions and the cpu just stops trying to switch players resulting to comedy gold situations. It's like thousands of AI code lines are missing from the game. It would be perfectly fine if the asking price for this game was £19.99 but at £69.99 it's just criminal.

Seriously i have no issues playing on PS5 its far less twitchy than 22. The pace is nice, i am not seeing loads of goals, i am seeing quite a few fouls and the new partial press is working like a charm so defenders do track back and pretty effectively. I genuinely dont get the hate for it. I am waiting for a video against man utd to upload to youtube and ill post it. The game is solid
I'll wait for your video. If I remember well you're also a veteran football gamer and I'm curious about your findings and impressions.

I'll wait for your video. If I remember well you're also a veteran football gamer and I'm curious about your findings and impressions.
the thing ill say is turn all assists off

Ive used same sliders as 22
AI pasing error 68
AI shot error 68

FT for both user and AI 70

And i increase my power bar to 55 but i think this needs lowering a touch

Now as a personal preference i play 4-3-3 and i always have both full backs set to stay back when attacking the same for my CDM as EA love to have players bombing forward and leaving gaps. They will still support but be in position more when needed :)

Last edited:

AI pasing error 68
AI shot error 68

Now as a personal preference i play 4-3-3 and i always have both full backs set to stay back when attacking the same for my CDM as EA love to have players bombing forward and leaving gaps. They will still support but be in position more when needed :)

The amount of floating, skating and general weird shit happening in your footage just hammers home how bad this game is (no offence intended I’m glad guy enjoy it).

it just doesn’t flow or resemble football in any way.

The amount of floating, skating and general weird shit happening in your footage just hammers home how bad this game is (no offence intended I’m glad guy enjoy it).

it just doesn’t flow or resemble football in any way.
doesn't look like floating when im playing it - who knows. but like you say im happy with it and it resembles football to me

Had my first go.

AI pasing error 68
AI shot error 68

I have to say the AI ping it around faster than a particle in the Hadron Collider in that video.

Do we have a third user base for FIFA now? I see on Reddit a lot of people complaining about the ‘Pros’ calling the game too slow and that the game is fine as it is.

I could definitely see how this game would be playable as casual multiplayer.

Thinking about it’s been that way for a while but I guess the contrast in expectations is getting more evident.

Unfortunately the offline player base will be all but gone soon.
Absolutely 100%.

I've made the point before, here and on the beta feedback forum. You simply cannot bridge the gaps between what each side needs (particularly the "pros" and the "Career Mode players"), with one gameplay model. In most cases, they need the exact opposite of each other.

I say need, because - if AI defenders do nothing until they're controlled for online play (1v1), how can you play a Career Mode and improve your defence? Buy 4 £100m defenders and they'll do pretty much the exact same thing every other defender does (i.e. stare at the sky) until you control them. So why not just buy one, and do all your defending with him? It destroys the entire point of the mode.

But yeah, you've got two sides that need:

• Zero AI interference vs AI players who play with full intent (so it's worth working on your team)
  • 1v1 gameplay vs team-play (i.e. pitting midfield v midfield, not just player v player)
  • Total "fairness" vs randomness (i.e. rebounds that go to your opponent shouldn't be banned from the game, physics should never be faked!!!)
  • No error in passes/shots vs error being part of the game (i.e. low xGs like real life so that you have to take your best chances)
  • Goals vs grind (i.e. the fun is getting a 0-0 when your team is bad, having to change your tactics depending on your opponent etc.)
  • Rewards for every action (i.e. if you win a tackle, you must win the ball) vs realism (sometimes the ball rolls away)...

I'd even love to see referees give incorrect (or harsh but not unrealistic) decisions. Imagine what a "pro" would do if an incorrect throw-in or corner decision was made, let alone if a player was sent off for a debatable tackle. :LOL:

The fake physics really upset me. They have such realism at their fingertips here... but you have headers from soft chips travelling 50 yards like a cannonball. It looks, and more importantly feels, like the game is treating me like a child.

Every pass has to make it. Attributes don't matter. Possession is never squandered because you tried to do something utterly stupid.

If you want a laugh, go and play an old PES after playing FIFA 23. Truly, I can't recommend it enough, but not just because "the past is better" or whatever - for a very specific reason:

I tried to play PES 2008 on PS2 last night, and even with just 8 directions of movement/passing, even with "fully assisted controls" (because that's all there was) even with how basic the engine is comparatively, I kicked the ball out of play six times!! I am so used to just pushing a vague direction where a player of mine might be, and the pass always making it, that I got my arse thoroughly kicked.

I was passing the ball straight off the pitch - straight to the opponent - even hitting passes that just didn't go anywhere (creating a loose ball), where I expected a player to be, but there was nobody... because I'm so used to FIFA, and making every pass.

Isn't it shameful that the ball is more free (when passing) in games from 20 years ago, than it is now? Where every pass, no matter the player you use, no matter the distance, no matter how stupid your decision, makes it?

The next football game that really wows me, will be the one I put on and find myself struggling to string passes together and struggling to hit the target until I get used to the game (with attributes making as much of a difference as the difficulty level does). I think the last FIFA game that had that was World Cup 2010, where (as England) I'll beat San Marino 10-0 but get beat by France 3-0 without having to alter anything...

Absolutely 100%.

I've made the point before, here and on the beta feedback forum. You simply cannot bridge the gaps between what each side needs (particularly the "pros" and the "Career Mode players"), with one gameplay model. In most cases, they need the exact opposite of each other.

I say need, because - if AI defenders do nothing until they're controlled for online play (1v1), how can you play a Career Mode and improve your defence? Buy 4 £100m defenders and they'll do pretty much the exact same thing every other defender does (i.e. stare at the sky) until you control them. So why not just buy one, and do all your defending with him? It destroys the entire point of the mode.

But yeah, you've got two sides that need:

Zero AI interference vs AI players who play with full intent (so it's worth working on your team)
1v1 gameplay vs team-play (i.e. pitting midfield v midfield, not just player v player)
Total "fairness" vs randomness (i.e. rebounds that go to your opponent shouldn't be banned from the game, physics should never be faked!!!)
No error in passes/shots vs error being part of the game (i.e. low xGs like real life so that you have to take your best chances)
Goals vs grind (i.e. the fun is getting a 0-0 when your team is bad, having to change your tactics depending on your opponent etc.)
Rewards for every action (i.e. if you win a tackle, you must win the ball) vs realism (sometimes the ball rolls away)...

I'd even love to see referees give incorrect (or harsh but not unrealistic) decisions. Imagine what a "pro" would do if an incorrect throw-in or corner decision was made, let alone if a player was sent off for a debatable tackle. :LOL:

The fake physics really upset me. They have such realism at their fingertips here... but you have headers from soft chips travelling 50 yards like a cannonball. It looks, and more importantly feels, like the game is treating me like a child.

Every pass has to make it. Attributes don't matter. Possession is never squandered because you tried to do something utterly stupid.

If you want a laugh, go and play an old PES after playing FIFA 23. Truly, I can't recommend it enough, but not just because "the past is better" or whatever - for a very specific reason:

I tried to play PES 2008 on PS2 last night, and even with just 8 directions of movement/passing, even with "fully assisted controls" (because that's all there was) even with how basic the engine is comparatively, I kicked the ball out of play six times!! I am so used to just pushing a vague direction where a player of mine might be, and the pass always making it, that I got my arse thoroughly kicked.

I was passing the ball straight off the pitch - straight to the opponent - even hitting passes that just didn't go anywhere (creating a loose ball), where I expected a player to be, but there was nobody... because I'm so used to FIFA, and making every pass.

Isn't it shameful that the ball is more free (when passing) in games from 20 years ago, than it is now? Where every pass, no matter the player you use, no matter the distance, no matter how stupid your decision, makes it?

The next football game that really wows me, will be the one I put on and find myself struggling to string passes together and struggling to hit the target until I get used to the game (with attributes making as much of a difference as the difficulty level does). I think the last FIFA game that had that was World Cup 2010, where (as England) I'll beat San Marino 10-0 but get beat by France 3-0 without having to alter anything...
Perfectly said Chris.

Has anyone played the switch versions of FIFA? I know it’s a legacy version but I might pick it up this year and see what the gameplay is like. It’s still on Ignite isn’t it?? The gameplay outdated 1v1 so curious to give it a run.

AI pasing error 68
AI shot error 68

Hum there is a lot of skating and ball physic looks off. I saw a lot of ping pong passes too. I think you have something on auto. It's legacy defense?
This is the kind of matches I like

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom