FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

3. the midfield completely out of the game. Why the midfielder who completely just stood there when the ball was close, yet now decides to make a pointless effort to run back now also frustrates me. He's never going to get there, and even if he did, he would just stand there again and let himself by run around.

That belated run made (some) people think that midfielders somehow tracked back last year in 22 which was complete BS. They are not running back to defend, they are running back because they are programmed to stand still and pick their noses at a set distance from the defending line. The defending line starts retreating as you run ahead with the ball, and this is the trigger that makes them follow, their only intention is to just keep a rigid formation doing nothing.

Anyway, you've perfectly explained why I'm just blindly skipping any game featuring this braindead design without paying any attention to anything else. It's just that big of a deal and no current option or setting will ever fix it.

Last edited:
That belated run made (some) people think that midfielders somehow tracked back last year in 22 which was complete BS. They are not running back to defend, they are running back because they are programmed to stand still and pick their noses at a set distance from the defending line. The defending line starts retreating as you run ahead with the ball, and this is the trigger that makes them follow, their only intention is to just keep a rigid formation doing nothing.

Anyway, you've perfectly explained why I'm just blindly skipping any game featuring this braindead design without paying any attention to anything else. It's just that big of a deal and no current option or setting will ever fix it.

Well, with context, most people experienced FIFA 21 that didn't even allow any trackback - not even an animation that would start it. So when FIFA 22 responded by actually showing the player(s) sprint towards their own goals, it was considered a small victory.

Hypermotion has definitely hurt more than it has helped. I think of it as static positioning. I feel like some dev paused the game and was proud of how the banks looked - and called it a day.

FIFA 16 (not to mention 15 and 14) had its issues as well. The biggest issue I ran into was a lot of positioning because of the ADD (Attention Deficit Defending as I coined it) where players would mark someone well behind what is in front of them, and end up moving out of the way. Too often this happened, in FIFA 14, 15 and 16.

That said, there was a lot of effort put into getting FIFA 16 fine-tuned, mainly because it was such a good game and we wanted to squeeze as much possible out of it. Unfortunately, it also needed a lot of attention on the minor issues that ended up pretty big.

Less than half of the content and "documentation" of my time with FIFA 16:
12QffD.png

Also, just to really point out 1v1 and how it works.

In this first photo Mount is the '1' defender linked. He stays 'linked' until the ball carrier goes beyond him too far and then...........View attachment 180006

2. ................as soon as James takes up the role of the '1' defender that's the exact moment that Mount stops and just stands there.

View attachment 180009

There's a reason for the stopping, standing and not being engaged - it all comes back to 1v1. You can draw these lines in your head as your playing and you can't unsee it.

The easiest way to test it is to run as far as you can with one player and you'll see the different targets changing as you go.
Mate I agree and it's very evident if you play the game with football in mind with tactical thinking also if you observe these issues carefully you will find much more.
But sadly EA have gone different route after Fifa 18 and they weren't trying to go into simulation instead they want a game that you can fire it up, sit on the couch and play, have fun, introduce some new stuff so the game won't be literally the same every year. Many of these new things is gimmick and we know that. Even Konami who every time produced different and opposite of everything that I wrote about EA have gone this route.
I have a dream that one day new producer will enter in the football gaming market and will have only simulation in mind, produce the game where every aspect can be changed with the patch like player movement, game speed, inject new stuff, new animations, implement different shooting mechanics, new tactics etc. something like the way Iracing works. I will gladly pay subscription every year but I want to play offline for now, if they have the sim right I will gladly play something like FUT and other stuff if the there is very long way to climb and buy maybe just 1 superstar player, no microtransactions, nothing. Only dlc other than subscription may be new stadiums and stuff like that.
That would be our wet dream I guess but untill then we should accept the reality about football games in the state they are today...

Last edited:
I think what gets to everyone most, is that EA know full well what they are doing. This is a game where goals are so easy to score and most people probably play 5mins or less half's.

They don't want 0-0 'boring' games, they want to score the most audacious goal possible, Snapchat it to their mates or socials, get the latest FUT card that will mince all comers and go about their day. This game is tailored and programmed with that in mind.

It would take a brave and very well back, by the community, company to break that trend and offer a true simulation with how gaming has headed. I'd pay, I'd back it, but then I'd be happy with a few dull games sprinkled with the occasional 'out of the seat moment' because that is football. Not every game has amazing goals, high score lines etc... but this is isn't the target market that piles the money into buying this year in year out.

They don't want 0-0 'boring' games, they want to score the most audacious goal possible, Snapchat it to their mates or socials
Thats true, but what baffles me is - how are goals like this supposed to impress anyone?
If everyone can score 7 of them per match by just running straight - hows that an awesome goal?

Its like free kick goals in Pes - its was so easy to score free kick on Pes that when I've seen people posting them on social media i was always rolling my eyes.
You literally just need to learn how much power to apply and 9/10 times its in.

When I was watching older football games compilations - some of the goals were really impressive and thats because I was aware how difficult was to score them.

Now its basically trying to impress your mates that you can press two buttons..🤷‍♂️

Ps. @Anth James - this post of yours would be great to copy to the other thread for feedback compilation.

Is it me or does it feel like they didn't bother recording new commentary this year? I've only played a few matches but the commentary seems identical to last year...

Well, with context, most people experienced FIFA 21 that didn't even allow any trackback - not even an animation that would start it. So when FIFA 22 responded by actually showing the player(s) sprint towards their own goals, it was considered a small victory.

Hypermotion has definitely hurt more than it has helped. I think of it as static positioning. I feel like some dev paused the game and was proud of how the banks looked - and called it a day.

FIFA 16 (not to mention 15 and 14) had its issues as well. The biggest issue I ran into was a lot of positioning because of the ADD (Attention Deficit Defending as I coined it) where players would mark someone well behind what is in front of them, and end up moving out of the way. Too often this happened, in FIFA 14, 15 and 16.

That said, there was a lot of effort put into getting FIFA 16 fine-tuned, mainly because it was such a good game and we wanted to squeeze as much possible out of it. Unfortunately, it also needed a lot of attention on the minor issues that ended up pretty big.

Less than half of the content and "documentation" of my time with FIFA 16:
12QffD.png
Definitely agree about the static positioning. I think whilst 16 (14) also aren't perfect, the issues that can exist within the game are minor compared to what we're currently presented with. If I turn on 16 (or 14) I can play football. The immersive experience of playing the sport isn't taken away from me because of huge positional or behavioural issues. I can play 20+ minute matches and not notice any glaring problems from a fundamental sense. Unfortunately if I play 23 those issues become apparent in the first 30 seconds. That's what screams to me that there just huge fundamental problems that can't be ignored. For the record I play 16 with the original vanilla release and pretty much default sliders (I think I play fb at 40 and powerbar at 68), so there's not a huge amount of gameplay adjusting to get a solid experience.

Last edited:
This sums up FIFA's core gameplay for me (and again, sorry, sliders can't give the AI players their AI back).

Defending-wise...

You (or the AI) picks a defender. Run them out. "Miss" (just running straight past them, which looks absolutely stupid). You pick a different player. Rinse and repeat.

Meanwhile, your midfield/defence... just does nothing. They're like biscuits in a packet. Sat there waiting for you to pull one out.

Attacking-wise...

People post clips like this and say they've scored an amazing, satisfying goal... All he's done is hit one pass, ran from defence to attack while his opponent is powerless to get near him, then used the "power shot" which is a guaranteed goal (given that it's impossible to get a defender near the striker).

"Dumbed down" is exactly what the game is. Some might enjoy that, I'm sure there's joy to be had. For me, this is, frankly, a joke of a game.

I'm having no issues with defence , the R1 button works really Well and defenders track and cover the right spot , much better than 22

This sums up FIFA's core gameplay for me (and again, sorry, sliders can't give the AI players their AI back).

Defending-wise...

You (or the AI) picks a defender. Run them out. "Miss" (just running straight past them, which looks absolutely stupid). You pick a different player. Rinse and repeat.

Meanwhile, your midfield/defence... just does nothing. They're like biscuits in a packet. Sat there waiting for you to pull one out.

Attacking-wise...

People post clips like this and say they've scored an amazing, satisfying goal... All he's done is hit one pass, ran from defence to attack while his opponent is powerless to get near him, then used the "power shot" which is a guaranteed goal (given that it's impossible to get a defender near the striker).

"Dumbed down" is exactly what the game is. Some might enjoy that, I'm sure there's joy to be had. For me, this is, frankly, a joke of a game.

thats horrible defending to be fair

if you follow the defender cursor/selected player you see theyre just overshooting and walking past their man everytime. no holding or blocking lanes. they're not even using jockey

This is my thought about the game
I know already that i will the only one here but no matter.

FIFA 23 was the worst FIFA 23 to date...vanilla!
Openbar goals, no défense, no GK, no marking, no CPU intelligence. Everything is off. I saw on the beta, the retail is the same.

But, for now, it's the better FIFA i have played since a long time ago
I have started a career with Marseille after 2 days, it never happened previously.

Thanks to the beta, i managed to "built" a nice gameplay for my opinion with the retail one.
Hypermotion 2 brings more animations, more physics to the players and to thé ball. But by default, it's off.

We can't play without a good ball physics, ball was not a glue to player's foot. We can't play offline without a good AI.

So yes FIFA 23 is a bad game. But EA have this hypermotion we've Seen shortly on FIFA 22 at the beggening.

But After 40 games on the beta, i have found a playable set than is available on the right topic.
And now on the retail version, i have so much fun with my career with olympique de Marseille.
Tottenham kicks my french butte because they have full of worldclass player. I win 3-0 against Auxerre because I play a better and seriouse game. All the resultas are logics. The stats are realistics.

I Hope everybody will find his own good formula. Matt made Always really good sliders, i could find the Graal.
I have turn off update for my Series X to enjoy this game before a breakable gameplay patch.

This is two exemple of all my matches

Nantes vs OM- WC FUMA no analog sprint-8 minutes - slow speed

Sporting Lisbonne Vs OM

Last edited:
Internet culture has ruined gaming (change my mind)
It's not only the internet culture, it's the YouTubers/Game Changers or whatever they call them. They aren't pure gamers, they're only concern and main goal is subscribers and making money. I'll never understand why other gamers just spend their time watching these guys play for hours. It's bonkers.
The most bizarre thing is that these YouTubers think we're stupid. Even Spoony Pizzas and TTB are playing this abomination of a game and they're trying to convince us there is some football game hidden there which they can fix with sliders that were coded nearly 10 years ago and EA never touched them again.

And I would even say that it looked better as well. 22 (and 23) are more compact than 21, where everything is just spaced out. But I suspect it looked better more than it played better with everyone still brainless and static and even though I've not played it and have no intention of doing so, the scorelines speak for themselves. Although a couple of goals can also be attributed to what looks like OP power-shots and OP outside of the boot shots (it wouldn't be an EA Sports game if their new features were not OP).

No game was perfect it's true. But going back and playing ... not 16 which everyone regards as the best now (me included), but even 15 which was obviously geared for counter attacks with the usual trick of having a defensive line that was a separate entity ... even that feels like a masterpiece compared to what we have now IMHO. It just never occurred to me at that time that we would hold these games in such high regard 7 or 8 years later, yet here we are, it's only now we can see that this was the peak.

Last edited:
And I would even say that it looked better as well. 22 (and 23) are more compact than 21, where everything is just spaced out. But I suspect it looked better more than it played better
I actually think it did/does play better than 21 and the idea of the compact transitioning/movement is a good one - but nowhere near good and certainly not enough to correct a fundamental flaw. If we had this 11v11 capture WITH good fundamentals then we'd be in a good place. This would be where I'd expect us to be in terms of building from 14/15/16's fundamentals.

This is my thought about the game
I know already that i will the only one here but no matter.

FIFA 23 was the worst FIFA 23 to date...vanilla!
Openbar goals, no défense, no GK, no marking, no CPU intelligence. Everything is off. I saw on the beta, the retail is the same.

But, for now, it's the better FIFA i have played since a long time ago
I have started a career with Marseille after 2 days, it never happened previously.

Thanks to the beta, i managed to "built" a nice gameplay for my opinion with the retail one.
Hypermotion 2 brings more animations, more physics to the players and to thé ball. But by default, it's off.

We can't play without a good ball physics, ball was not a glue to player's foot. We can't play offline without a good AI.

So yes FIFA 23 is a bad game. But EA have this hypermotion we've Seen shortly on FIFA 22 at the beggening.

But After 40 games on the beta, i have found a playable set than is available on the right topic.
And now on the retail version, i have so much fun with my career with olympique de Marseille.
Tottenham kicks my french butte because they have full of worldclass player. I win 3-0 against Auxerre because I play a better and seriouse game. All the resultas are logics. The stats are realistics.

I Hope everybody will find his own good formula. Matt made Always really good sliders, i could find the Graal.
I have turn off update for my Series X to enjoy this game before a breakable gameplay patch.

This is two exemple of all my matches

Nantes vs OM- WC FUMA no analog sprint-8 minutes - slow speed

Sporting Lisbonne Vs OM
It s weird that ur game seems to be working fine gameplay wise, it really looks good, very random stuff happening on the pitch

It's not only the internet culture, it's the YouTubers/Game Changers or whatever they call them. They aren't pure gamers, they're only concern and main goal is subscribers and making money. I'll never understand why other gamers just spend their time watching these guys play for hours. It's bonkers.

I've watched many of them in the past for a single reason, seeing the gameplay and someone explaining it is the best way to figure out if I'll probably like a game or not. Some of them are smart, entertaining and happen to like the same things so that's great. They are also not dedicated to a single game which is key. They can say a game is garbage and move on to the next.

Once you get to people who have a channel dedicated to a single game or game series... Yeah, let's just say they will have no audience left if they just say "game is garbage, play something else". Even if they're critical they still have to keep you interested in the same game somehow. You're not going to watch someone playing Minecraft if you have zero interest in that game.

But whatever. I don't hate them, I don't watch them, I don't envy them for having to play a game they probably no longer like themselves and I'm sure most of them are nice people. But I think most of us have played dozens of footy games by now and based on that can have our own opinions playing or watching these games anyway.

Last edited:
Here’s my two cents for what it’s worth.

I pre-ordered last week and come close to cancelling a few times based on gameplay videos and discussions on here.

It arrived this morning and I have played a handful of games, I will hopefully get a chance to play more intently tonight. For context, this is the first Fifa I have played since 20’ and I am on PS4.

Settings - Mostly semi assisted controls, legacy defending, legendary difficulty and 3 min halves (For now).

I have only played kick off games so far, but I was pleasantly surprised after assuming this game would be a stinking mess. Is it perfect? No, but to summarise here’s what I found:

- AI defenders can be sluggish in attacking the ball and closing down, however I’ve not been able to waltz through unchallenged as of yet. I don’t dribble often and try to play more realistic, so maybe that is why.

- All of my matches have been close score lines so far. No game has had over 3 goals in it and the most I have been able to score in a single game is two. This might be due to the 3 min half length though.

- The midfield battles aren’t as competitive as I would like but again I tend to pass the ball around more and I have noticed a few misplaced passes, interceptions and fouls which seemed more realistic.

- Goal variety has been good. So far, none of my goals have felt cheap or as a result of poor AI defending. Again, this may be due to the way I play.

I’m keeping an open mind for now. It may be a placebo effect since it has been a while since I played a Fifa game. Maybe my expectations have changed subconsciously too, with two young boys I no longer have the chance to invest myself into a game for hours per day and scrutinise every single issue.

I plan to start my career mode tonight, so I will update any changes I see or feel.

@saturator - I tried your exact sliders (including game speed).

Random Italian cup game. I'm Cessena, in white.

Here's World Class (your recommendation):

If I'd scored, as I should have done, it would have been 3 goals within 14 minutes (see the score/time at the end)...

Just look at the AI midfield (in red) run away as if they're being chased by murderers. It makes absolutely no sense (and is game-breaking).

Not to mention my own midfield wanders away, and gives me no support. But crucially, I don't even need them. The game is so 1v1, they might as well not exist.

And the AI defence... What's the point of it?

It works both ways though, back and forth. So by half time, it's 3-3. I quit.

I tried Legendary to see if that made a difference:

Just a chain of straightforward passes, always forwards (literally straight forwards), and I should score. In the second minute.

This is the crux of it for me - I DON'T HAVE TO THINK ABOUT A SINGLE THING I'M DOING. Look at that clip. Just point towards goal and press "pass" a few times. LITERALLY!

It's more of a "press A to continue" prompt than a football game. Isn't a game supposed to challenge you, puzzle you, give you satisfaction?

This is the crux of it for me - I DON'T HAVE TO THINK ABOUT A SINGLE THING I'M DOING. Look at that clip. Just point towards goal and press "pass" a few times. LITERALLY!

It's more of a "press A to continue" prompt than a football game. Isn't a game supposed to challenge you, puzzle you, give you satisfaction?

Yeah, this is actually not much different from the matches @saturator uploads. This is a 20 sec clip for example:

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxKEYnu5RoIjqSIQyjc6CHqGNFA_Y7m3db

It's a couple of passes to go from box to box, no midfield. Only difference is that sometimes passes are misplaced due to manual probably so not resulting in a shot, or shots are just missed, or other times it's passing the ball sideways to take a breather even though you hardly ever have to. Maybe it's enough to give the impression of a football game?

This is not a dig at you saturator by the way, it's just that defending is not actually fixed (it can't be), there's no midfield or any challenge involved, you just enjoy it regardless with some specific settings and that's perfectly fine! Maybe it shows how we can all see different things watching the same thing.

Last edited:
I gave it another go yesterday night and applied the OS sliders, Matt posted here in this thread. It looked slightly better (of course I might say) because it was slower and less frantic. Nonetheless the only match I played had way too much shots and way too much xG (Scoreline was 4:1 in the end, semi-controls, 10 minutes halves, world class). But the main thing is, AI defenders still stood like statues, stopped runs, opened spaces and enjoyed watching the strikers perform.
No sliders can solve that because EA and their online muppets just aren't interested in defending. This is a choice by design and can't be corrected.

@saturator - I tried your exact sliders (including game speed).

Random Italian cup game. I'm Cessena, in white.

Here's World Class (your recommendation):

If I'd scored, as I should have done, it would have been 3 goals within 14 minutes (see the score/time at the end)...

Just look at the AI midfield (in red) run away as if they're being chased by murderers. It makes absolutely no sense (and is game-breaking).

Not to mention my own midfield wanders away, and gives me no support. But crucially, I don't even need them. The game is so 1v1, they might as well not exist.

And the AI defence... What's the point of it?

It works both ways though, back and forth. So by half time, it's 3-3. I quit.

I tried Legendary to see if that made a difference:

Just a chain of straightforward passes, always forwards (literally straight forwards), and I should score. In the second minute.

Do you have the same pad settings? Because analogic acceleration is broken and made these strange things. Try to play FUMA too.

It will be my last post, there is no construction in the conversation. You want to find glitches and there are glitches in the game. I'm not working on EA studio. A sample of a match didn't reflect the feeling of the match. It's a global personnal feeling.

Yes there is a problem of marking and yes midfields/defenders are too lazy. It's not new.

But since FIFA 20, it's in the core of the game this 1 vs 1 and my solution is to switch manually and play FUMA. I have fun and it's only my point of view.

You want to hate the game, hate it. I can't do anything for you, maybe EA can, if they want to.

There is a topic sliders, i will post some videos to illustrate if a patch is coming soon.

I have 3 matches on Legend, I think it's playable. But i already hear it's not!

Grimsby Town Vs Newport County Legende FUMA

Athelico Madrid Vs Real Madrid Legende FUMA

France Vs Argentine Legende FUMA

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom