FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

I'd go so far enough to say Id actually enjoy this but the ai completely kills it. Zero offence to anyone but I'm completely baffled that any offline player can touch it it in this state.

- Any decent dribbler can cut through the defence with absolute ease - I'm scoring hattricks with players like Leao in every match
- As soon as it's the ai's turn to defend they just switch off completely, standing like they're my coach encouraging my play
- There's just no joy in scoring goals whatsoever - you feel entirely unchallenged on every single goal you score.....it's like the complete opposite of a dopamine hit.

This is on World Class btw - which is usually a sweet spot for me in terms of just having an enjoyable match where I'm not having my eyes water for having to concentrate too hard.

Thing is, I just can't see how turning it up to Legendary or ultimate enhances the ai's defensive nature. Nor am I going down the road of using the sliders to start handicapping myself, I did that throughout the lifecycle of Fifa 22 and it never truly satisfied me.

I'm going to hold on to my trial hours to see if patches address this, but until then it's a big hard nope from me.

Hum there is a lot of skating and ball physic looks off. I saw a lot of ping pong passes too. I think you have something on auto. It's legacy defense?
This is the kind of matches I like
all manual , ive slowed A! passing down to 38, that seems to have sorted the ping pong. It certainly doesn't feel skatey playing it to me. Maybe its youtube i dunno

Hum there is a lot of skating and ball physic looks off. I saw a lot of ping pong passes too. I think you have something on auto. It's legacy defense?
this actually look pretty good to me. slower pace becouse of the reduced pass speed, skating is minimised that way, also players have more time to react.
Of course EA have to fix some stuff through patches but this look much better than default sliders gameplay.
That goal from free kick reminds me of mobile game I played on first smart phones and to be honest it's best free kick game I ever played or mechanics used in any football game! I like to have option where to hit the ball a d that to determine the trajectory :)

A bit better today than yesterday, but still nowhere near the great feeling FIFA 22 was giving me a few hours into my 10-hour trial this time last year. Not ever buying FIFA 23 is like finding £60 in the street.

It seems embarrassed to be a football game at times. I noticed a Training option in the Welcome screen for 'Scrimmage Training' or something like that. Scrimmage is not a football term. My tolerance for bringing US sports terminology into football isn't great. A sequence that results in a shot or goal being called a 'play', which they often do across the pond (Jesse Marsch is always doing it) – I'll go that far, and no farther. Scrimmage? Scrimmage? I'm not wasting half a minute of the 10 hours on that garbage – I mean, rubbish –

I discovered the referee strictness setting in the settings and instantly whacked it up to Very Strict, and got all excited to play and enjoy the fouls and free kicks, but of course FIFA doesn't like football, and so the game is configured not to allow fouls. There was only 1 foul committed by either side in the whole match, by me, a full-on slide tackle that deserved the red card it got. But the AI doesn't foul so there were none committed by the AI. It seems 'referee strictness' controls how likely yellow and red cards are.

I've been playing more games, I am still having a very enjoyable time with the game. Compared to Fifa 22 latest patch it is a def improvement for me. The game still has the same FIFA issues which 99% will be there next year as well, really didnt expect them to change this year.
I'm thankfully getting low scorelines, more scrappy games with players intercepting more passes.

Played a FUT game in WC which could usually be a ping pong passing crazy thing in 22 but it was a balanced 0-0 in min 75. Scored on a counter attack.
I'm staying home today and tomorrow due to hurricane, so I just pre-ordered the game to get more games in these days.

-Does playing with a strict referee make a difference?
-Anyway to change that matrix slowmo shot animation when doing a finesse controlled shot or its a risk-reward thing?
-How to do a low power shot? Have they changed it this year? (used to be RB+LB+shot)

Anyway, anyone in Florida be safe, I think I've seen someones profile saying they are from Tampa and Orlando so best of luck today with the weather and the approaching threat.

I've been playing more games, I am still having a very enjoyable time with the game. Compared to Fifa 22 latest patch it is a def improvement for me. The game still has the same FIFA issues which 99% will be there next year as well, really didnt expect them to change this year.
I'm thankfully getting low scorelines, more scrappy games with players intercepting more passes.

Played a FUT game in WC which could usually be a ping pong passing crazy thing in 22 but it was a balanced 0-0 in min 75. Scored on a counter attack.
I'm staying home today and tomorrow due to hurricane, so I just pre-ordered the game to get more games in these days.

-Does playing with a strict referee make a difference?
-Anyway to change that matrix slowmo shot animation when doing a finesse controlled shot or its a risk-reward thing?
-How to do a low power shot? Have they changed it this year? (used to be RB+LB+shot)

Anyway, anyone in Florida be safe, I think I've seen someones profile saying they are from Tampa and Orlando so best of luck today with the weather and the approaching threat.
Let us know how the game is panning on PC, not on ps5..thanks

Has anyone played the switch versions of FIFA? I know it’s a legacy version but I might pick it up this year and see what the gameplay is like. It’s still on Ignite isn’t it?? The gameplay outdated 1v1 so curious to give it a run.
I think, yes. Also, if someone has the knowledge to port it's stadiums (like Brentford's stadium etc..), scoreboards, menu etc to Ignite FIFAs (15, 16) on PC, it would be useful since the Legacy Edition is already on Ignite, it could be compatible. It would be like FIFA 15/16 + Updated stuffs (kinda like remastering it, if possible).

PS : Even Champions League licenses and official presentation could be possible if this is the case.

I always had difficulties with defending in fifa with jockey as I am mostly pes player but this video shows in detail new techniques to defend, for me especially imortant is the option to manually select to which player I want to change the cursor, that was where I gone mad many times while trying to defend. I will leave the video here and hope it can help someone. It has a learning curve for sure.

Nice video!
Sorry if this has already been asked:
What difficulty are you playing at?
Speed normal or slow?
Thanks

It has a learning curve for sure.
Sorry, but there's "learning curve" (which we used to get each year in PES, and was great)...

...and there's "the other defenders stand watching the sky while you send one player beyond the line, to be danced around".

Yes, there are in-game strategies you can deploy e.g. "team press", but it's not just the AI teammates that are stupid - it's the AI's team as well. And they don't defend either.

Sorry, but there's "learning curve" (which we used to get each year in PES, and was great)...

...and there's "the other defenders stand watching the sky while you send one player beyond the line, to be danced around".

Yes, there are in-game strategies you can deploy e.g. "team press", but it's not just the AI teammates that are stupid - it's the AI's team as well. And they don't defend either.
yeah I agree about part for learning curve in pes. But sadly we have to accept that no one will produce football simulation in the next few years and we have choice not to play these games or accept the reality and casually play football. It's sad but true..

all manual , ive slowed A! passing down to 38, that seems to have sorted the ping pong. It certainly doesn't feel skatey playing it to me. Maybe its youtube i dunno
Yes maybe it's my work computer, sorry mate, i will look at your vidéo with my other computer or tablet. YouTube accelerate sometimes the videos.

Game looks quite good in this video, om vs lens, but is the game like this always???
Since the beta and the release date, every match i was playing look like that. Maybe night matches will have more speed but playable.

Tell me a match you want to see and I will make it mate😉

That's for those kind of tweet than i left Twitter.
The game is literally dying year after year, and all they cares is players preset faces.
Sad, sincerely.

Facial build/lookalike got his importance, but it's not with faces that you play the whole season.
Perhaps they should completely return the player, head on the ground (as logic doesn't matter) and he will play with his face. Headers will be shoot and...
Well, enough

Last edited:
Will there ever be a subdivision of FUT (or some main FIFA mode) where people who aren't obsessed with having a team of superstars can play?

When FUT started, you had a "bronze" team for a fair while... and there were bronze-only tournaments. Even me, the anti-online guy, used to really enjoy those. They were much slower, and much more skilful (not in terms of tricks, but in terms of strategy).

Now, we have this.

I find absolutely no joy playing with (or against) a team like this on NOT EVEN DAY ONE of the game being released.

Is it not boring as hell?

When FUT started, you had a "bronze" team for a fair while... and there were bronze-only tournaments. Even me, the anti-online guy, used to really enjoy those.
I can see one possibility, but you not gonna like it.
They might branch out and create Full Manual division, coz that would be something "new" and could potentially bring new players online. And guarantee that this division would be mostly filled with people who dont give two fucks about star players.

I think some people are either desperate for a new footy game to play or have lowered their expectations so low, that this is deemed as 'good' or 'solid' because I've been watching football for over 30 years now and every video I've seen in here, couldn't be further away from depicting a game of football.

This game is now clearly geared for kids who want to score rabonas and scorpion kicks, or pros who play it at 2000mph and don't care about 8-7 scorelines.

Charging £60+ is almost criminal. I'd bulk at paying 60p for it.

I think some people are either desperate for a new footy game to play or have lowered their expectations so low, that this is deemed as 'good' or 'solid' because I've been watching football for over 30 years now and every video I've seen in here, couldn't be further away from depicting a game of football.

This game is now clearly geared for kids who want to score rabonas and scorpion kicks, or pros who play it at 2000mph and don't care about 8-7 scorelines.

Charging £60+ is almost criminal. I'd bulk at paying 60p for it.
Yeah.

I buckled and downloaded the trial, to give these slider "fixes" a go (with rumours that the "slow speed" setting is the only reason the defence is broke).

Every slider set I tried, to advance up the pitch, you just pass in a straight line to the player in-front of you. 3-4 passes, shoot. Then them, you, them, you... The whole game treats you like a child.

It is the football game with the least amount of thought required to play of all-time (point forward and press pass, you'll always find a man), with the most horrendous physics - when you run with the ball it's like you're kicking along a cushion, and headers all travel directly from the head to the recipient's boot with impossible accuracy.

It shocks me every time I'm stupid enough to try it. I think "it can't be as bad as I remember it, look how pretty it is"... and then I'm just shellshocked again.

Still. At least certain community members are claiming to have fixed all the game's problems on Twitter by changing the half length to the newly-added 3 minutes... Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

I've had a pop at creating a club, with Notthill being my choice. Plenty of dosh got a load of free agents on short-term cons' using Matt10 OS sliders and I'm loving it.

I saw a doc about called Goldenera about the Golden Eye game and how they have tried through the community to re-create it with out AAA company backing and I think we are in that period now where games like PES had such a cult following that something has to be done because these companies are just not that into football.

Just a little comparison here guys - 16 vs 23. I want to show what's lacking behaviourally with the CPU - and also again illustrate why '1v1' is a huge issue.

This is 16 when I have the ball out on the wing on a bit of a counter attack.

1. You can see the two Chelsea players. They're currently out of the game but are in the process of getting into position.

11.png

2. Now look where they go and position themselves -

12.png

3. And to finish we can see they make the interception. So they're not only 'there' they are 'active'.

13.png

It's also important to note the other Chelsea players in the shots. Notice how they aren't just lined up in straight lines. They are organically positioned to cut passing lanes - based on WHERE THE BALL IS! That should always be the focus. They're still in formation but there's intelligence to their position - and this is always changing based on context.

Alright, now we move on to FIFA 23.

1. I'm starting a similar counter here -

55.jpg

2. Look at how the defender just gives up and stands there.

56.jpg

3. To top it off, I simply just run straight by the RB and I'm completely in on goal. No-one adjusting their positioning anywhere else in the team, the midfield completely out of the game. Why the midfielder who completely just stood there when the ball was close, yet now decides to make a pointless effort to run back now also frustrates me. He's never going to get there, and even if he did, he would just stand there again and let himself by run around. This is a huge issue with 1v1!

57.jpg

4. If you say ok well the ball is in a different position here, well then here's a DIFFERENT part of the game where I tested the exact same thing. This is how it looked. See the circled player makes no effort to be crowding any kind of space, he's simply just in his 'formation' and not aware of the where the ball is.

58.jpg

5. And finally you can again see the defenders are not interested where the ball is, they're just sticking to their line and waiting to be run around. 59.jpg

I'll leave you with a direct screenshot of both in the key phase to compare -

12.png
56.jpg
59.jpg

Both on default sliders. I should add 16 was actually on World Class and 23 was on Legendary - so I think that tells you something also. We want intelligent movement based on the context of each moment, positioning based around where the ball is and ACTIVELY ENGAGED defenders. We want it to be difficult!

Last edited:
Also, just to really point out 1v1 and how it works.

In this first photo Mount is the '1' defender linked. He stays 'linked' until the ball carrier goes beyond him too far and then...........1111.jpg

2. ................as soon as James takes up the role of the '1' defender that's the exact moment that Mount stops and just stands there.

22222.jpg

There's a reason for the stopping, standing and not being engaged - it all comes back to 1v1. You can draw these lines in your head as your playing and you can't unsee it.

The easiest way to test it is to run as far as you can with one player and you'll see the different targets changing as you go.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom