FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

I used to play with sprint speed and acceleration quite high on 22 to help with this also. It doesn't solve everything but it makes them more aggressive and a bit more alert. I'm testing some pretty extreme slider settings at the moment - all sorts of strange things to try and get some improvement defensively. I just had my first 0-0 actually, low shot count, low XG. It was a decent match - still problems of course but it's a slight step towards a better direction. This was followed by a 2-1, again decent stats and decent phases in the match.

One of the biggest issues of 22 is unfortunately back though - defenders following the attacker back. It just creates so many issues and gaps in defence and undoes a lot of positive changes with settings.

After playing some more with it, I take back my original comment this morning about it being FIFA 21 levels of bad. I think it's probably a little better than 21. A little ;)
Yeah. Unless they patch it sliders are going to look a lot different this year because fast game speed is a must.

Something I noticed is I thing the defence is tied to acceleration in the sliders and around 40 is the cut off point before the AI starts acting dumb.

Yeah. Unless they patch it sliders are going to look a lot different this year because fast game speed is a must.

Something I noticed is I thing the defence is tied to acceleration in the sliders and around 40 is the cut off point before the AI starts acting dumb.
Yeah I tend to go up instead of down often. Even though down is logical, so many of the sliders are linked to behaviour and not simply speed.

If it was like before, regarding Def Speed, with an external editor just +25 or around in all Def in speed/acceleration and it was resolved.
Even if i hate to retouch stats (on PES only) when there's no other way...

Well, i hope some patch will improve the game, i'm out. I don't want to be like some guys putting laughs and zero arguments in Efootball, just making fun of guys who likes the game.
I hope you will have fun a long time for those who like or accept it and brought it, and found a way to resolve what's bother you with sliders.
I'm sincerely happy for you guys, we're here to express ourselves but don't take our (very) negative posts killing your mood to play the game.

I satisfied my curiosity about that game, now it's more about the future of the franchise. So i'll see in some patchs what's changing (the second is giving the tone often more than the first)

Yeah I tend to go up instead of down often. Even though down is logical, so many of the sliders are linked to behaviour and not simply speed.
YES. I always felt the sliders doubled as tendancies. Lower shot accuracy and or power and the AI wont shoot outside the box.

Lower pass accuracy and speed and the AI wont pass long or cross instead they bunch up and hold on to the ball making only the shortest of passes when absolutely necessary.

Do both of the above and AI will try to tika taka/walk the ball into the net.

It's so frustrating having them tied because you can never win when it comes to finding a good set of sliders and the game never feels and or looks right no matter what.

People on Reddit seem to be getting the wild full time results which I was getting last night. (Ultimate difficulty)

How the hell did this game get past quality testing?!

Attachments

• 9BAD76DB-51E4-43C0-A292-6FA923230349.png
    9BAD76DB-51E4-43C0-A292-6FA923230349.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 58
There is an amazing argument in the comments section between people saying that "This is a simulator and should be slow" vs. "It should be fun!!1!". Both are wrong. It is not a simulator anymore and definitely not fun.

That's my take on it when I see a debate on whether a football game is arcade or sim nowadays. It's an irrelevant argument cause I don't think they're football games to begin with. An arcade game can be balanced and have defending & fouls and everything else you can expect, even without some deep physics simulation under the hood.

An unbalanced mess, like what we have today, is just something fictional, even if somehow there's some super advanced simulation going on at some level. It's not a video game based on the sport, it's a new sport about two guys competing at a video game with a gamepad, with new rules to serve that new sport and a new skillset required that doesn't involve football logic but gamepad skills.

Last edited:
I like the part where you run with the ball after kick off. Then when I have to pass it or do something else with it the whole thing just kind of falls apart. So there are about 2-3 seconds after kick off when it plays pretty well.

For Xbox Series owners, I think it was last year if you left the game in quick resume it would count toward the 10 hour trial. Was that a bug or it still applies. I have been quitting the game recently but would prefer to leave it in the memory for a quick restart.

Fifa 23 is using the same engine so no need to even download this. We already know what flaws to expect. When you have a bad engine it DOESN'T matter how many more animations or coding you add. The foundation is bad = bad game. NBA 2K was struggling the same way until they actually went back to start working on the engine itself.

Fifa 23 is using the same engine so no need to even download this. We already know what flaws to expect. When you have a bad engine it DOESN'T matter how many more animations or coding you add. The foundation is bad = bad game. NBA 2K was struggling the same way until they actually went back to start working on the engine itself.
They should make a new engine probably but I think people may be looking too much into that. Fifa 2022 did have a quite well liked period last year after all, until they decided to update it to shit. They could absolutely make a considerably better game with this engine, IMO. They just can't be arsed.
I am interested to see what the will reviews say.

They should make a new engine probably but I think people may be looking too much into that. Fifa 2022 did have a quite well liked period last year after all, until they decided to update it to shit. They could absolutely make a considerably better game with this engine, IMO. They just can't be arsed.
I am interested to see what the will reviews say.
I personally didn't like Fifa 22 day 1. It was shocking how bad the midfield and defense was. I refused to believe the developers are this bad and never noticed. Then I realized it's the engine and in some way the developers are stuck. Once I realized this it became easy not to purchase anymore as I know exactly what you expect. If you mean "professional" reviews, I use that term loosely then that is off no value to me. The users on here including you voicing your opinion holds more weight to me.

lol EA didn't even try, the problem is we as a community have constantly enabled them to release bullshit because we keep buying bullshit, year after year so why would they try, why would they spend money to try and improve a product which according to them actually works according to sales figures.
Exactly what I want to say. Anyone who spends a penny in FUT. this crap is your fault. We won’t get a good football game ever again unless people stop buying crap in FUT

I personally didn't like Fifa 22 day 1. It was shocking how bad the midfield and defense was. I refused to believe the developers are this bad and never noticed. Then I realized it's the engine and in some way the developers are stuck. Once I realized this it became easy not to purchase anymore as I know exactly what you expect. If you mean "professional" reviews, I use that term loosely then that is off no value to me. The users on here including you voicing your opinion holds more weight to me.
Not quite. EA admitted they have created zero midfield on purpose to generate more shots per game.

For Xbox Series owners, I think it was last year if you left the game in quick resume it would count toward the 10 hour trial. Was that a bug or it still applies. I have been quitting the game recently but would prefer to leave it in the memory for a quick restart.
I don’t trust the resume mode in that regard. I just end the game and start via quick launch into exhibition mode (on PS5 thats done by clicking the appropriate tile with square button) Saves „valuable„ seconds. 😊

edit: and as I type this, I have an idea to save me some more precious seconds. 😂

Well, for those who plays the game (FIFA 23) on Slow Speed, the AI doesn't even care to block/defend/mark you even on higher difficulties. Just try to play on Normal or Fast Speed.

If anyone ask me How? I don't know, heck, I don't even purchased/played the game beforehand to say this. The answer is all over the place. A British lad called TheTrueBrits on YouTube clearly shown the Slow Speed issue. It is completely broken. Higher scorelines, non existence of the AI marking/defending etc etc.. (list goes on and on). EA probably didn't even test it before releasing the game, as it seems. Anyway, even though you play at Normal speed, it doesn't seems like an enjoyable game anyway, in terms of logic (in my opinion).

Well, for those who plays the game (FIFA 23) on Slow Speed, the AI doesn't even care to block/defend/mark you even on higher difficulties. Just try to play on Normal or Fast Speed.

If anyone ask me How? I don't know, heck, I don't even purchased/played the game beforehand to say this. The answer is all over the place. A British lad called TheTrueBrits on YouTube clearly shown the Slow Speed issue. It is completely broken. Higher scorelines, non existence of the AI marking/defending etc etc.. (list goes on and on). EA probably didn't even test it before releasing the game, as it seems. Anyway, even though you play at Normal speed, it doesn't seems like an enjoyable game anyway, in terms of logic (in my opinion).
I've tested it on Normal pace (like EA says) and the improvement is minimal. Despite this, I don't know how anybody can play on "Normal" speed. EA should have been more creative and innovative for all those that play on Normal or Fast and instead of refs showing yellow cards (when a foul happens once in 100 games) they can have the refs issuing speed tickets and a point system for the players.

Not quite. EA admitted they have created zero midfield on purpose to generate more shots per game.
Oh wow if this is true then that is beyond a bizarre logic 😂. Which also shows just how bad the engine is. If this is the solution then it's clear they couldn't do much smh.

Oh wow if this is true then that is beyond a bizarre logic 😂. Which also shows just how bad the engine is. If this is the solution then it's clear they couldn't do much smh.
It's not the engine. Firstly it's about catering for online consumers and secondly there's the fact their main devs, who are right now between 20-25yrs old, don't have any knowledge about the sport.

Not actually hating the trial as I thought I would. It might be that the beta was just so bad, this seems better by comparison rather than in its own right.

The Operation Sports sliders for FIFA 22 are actually a good place to start with FIFA 23 because they seem to have the same effect of preventing so many passes easily splitting the midfield and defense and both the human and CPU break down more attacks as they come through the middle third.. By no means perfect but a good start to build on.

I’ve double checked and my first set of CM results on default settings were:

4-5
3-3
4-5
5-4
3-2
3-2
8-2

I’ve since applied the above sliders and had a 1-0 & a 1-1.

Definitely helps.

It's not the engine. Firstly it's about catering for online consumers and secondly there's the fact their main devs, who are right now between 20-25yrs old, don't have any knowledge about the sport.

It's both thr engine and catering. Can't speak on the devs as I do not know them personally or their situation.

It's both thr engine and catering. Can't speak on the devs as I do not know them personally or their situation.
Frostbite it's not good but still it's down to the devs to code proper AI regarding the fundamentals of the sport. I know personally they're incapable to do it.

Cancelled my preorder…………first time in 27 years I’ve not bothered with an annual release. Scores of 10-4, 7-6, 5-5, I’ve no idea how we have ended up at a place where the game is judged on the amount of goals to be had, rather than the mechanics of creating a goal…….it may as well be a goal scoring sim. So sad that online has effectively destroyed simulation games.

The only exception is playing Hell Let Loose, a mature ww2 simulation and it was free!. Quite depressing really

If anyone ask me How? I don't know, heck, I don't even purchased/played the game beforehand to say this. The answer is all over the place. A British lad called TheTrueBrits on YouTube clearly shown the Slow Speed issue. It is completely broken.
That's his assumption, which he has (IMO) wrongly presented as a settled fact, even baking it into the title of that video.

That's his assumption, which he has (IMO) wrongly presented as a settled fact, even baking it into the title of that video.
TTB is actually 100% on the money. The only caveat is that he didn't mention that the speed/acceleration sliders also dumb down the defense the lower you go.

I know this because I've tested it.

The instant I lowered it past the threshold of 40/39 the AI backed off, left gaps and struggled to get back.

I did this on cpu vs cpu so I wasn't influencing the AI. game speed is 100% tied to the AI's defensive tendancies.

Whether or not it's hard coded that way or a bug only the day 1 patch will tell.

I've tested it on Normal pace (like EA says) and the improvement is minimal. Despite this, I don't know how anybody can play on "Normal" speed. EA should have been more creative and innovative for all those that play on Normal or Fast and instead of refs showing yellow cards (when a foul happens once in 100 games) they can have the refs issuing speed tickets and a point system for the players.

If anyone wants to try, I would totally watch a video on fast speed with acceleration at 100 to see the best defending possible, although it will all probably be just a blur, dangerously approaching the speed of light.

I played the PS5 version. Not even waiting for half time: It plays worse than the PS4 version. I don’t know why exactly, but players move in a weird way. And it’s something also present in FIFA 22 PS5, so maybe it’s this Hypermotion gimmick.

Anyway, EA needs to rewrite the entire gameplay for the next entry, I hope they are already doing it.

Back
Top Bottom