FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

The more I see real football compared to Fifa, I'm convinced the speed of Fifa is the sim, whilst eFootball is too slow
I'd probably agree with that when it comes to the movement speed (and the new sprint bursts they've implemented) - but not with the responsiveness speed on the ball, which is absolutely insane. That's another reason why it's so easy to blast through the empty midfield without issue - because the instant response and hyper ball control gives you a huge advantage when the other team are only allowed to defend one player at a time.

As for the speed of the defenders; under AI control they burst into their formation position like a rocket (completely disregarding their speed attributes), but when you control them, walk like pensioners, and often don't run directly to the ball carrier (like a human would) but to the side of them - like a badly aimed rocket.

The attack/defence balance gets heavier on the attack side each year.

I have two copies of 16, one that came with my Xbox back in 2015 (digitally) and then I bought a disc copy a year ago because vanilla is supposed to be "better".
Think I paid €8-9 for it.
Still don't see much difference between a fully patched and vanilla on console

I'm playing with the sliders TheWolf put up and I'mm loving this. The pitch, some great new animations, and tackles are hard and I'm getting fouled plenty.

Played a couple more games tonight.
Passing is awful on the game this year, you seem to have very little control of who the pass goes to or the power of the pass.
You tap it goes to player, hold it down again goes to closest player.

The main issue though, is the keepers are criminal.. They are so bad it game breaking.
Not just the keepers are bad I have seen the keepers dive and then instantly stand back up when a shot is blocked.

I don't know what the fuck EA are smoking over in Canada, but I really hope 2K buys the FIFA license and start making a game that resembles football.

I dont get the obession with Fifa 16. I mean the movement is cool and all but the shooting is pretty awful in my opinion. Plus, PES 5 is better than 6 ;)
The obsession with 16……an actual midfield, defensive awareness, good positioning across the pitch, good AI, organic moments which reflect the actual sport. Just to name a few of the reasons.

…I agree with you about PES 5 though haha.

I have a theory, kind of, but I have to test more. In the individual instructions, all the players have "Stick to position" by default. This makes them snap into their predetermined rectangle on the field.
If instead I set "Step up" for the back line, and "Free roam" + "Cover center" + "Aggressive interceptions" for the midfielders, it seems the movement is more organic and the teams are shorter, thus resulting in a more pronounced midfield battle. I'll have to try to edit the opposition teams, too.
I play 4-1-2-1-2 narrow, Defense: Width = 40, Height = 60, Attack: Width = 40
OS sliders with Normal speed and the following tweaks (User/CPU):
Sprint speed: 34/34
Acceleration: 45/44
GK ability: 50/50
First touch error: 85/85
It's not perfect but I had enjoyable moments.

. Decent game this with tactic edits and a few sliders. Legendary full manual . Finishes nil nil ..pens were a bit crazy
I have a theory, kind of, but I have to test more. In the individual instructions, all the players have "Stick to position" by default. This makes them snap into their predetermined rectangle on the field.
If instead I set "Step up" for the back line, and "Free roam" + "Cover center" + "Aggressive interceptions" for the midfielders, it seems the movement is more organic and the teams are shorter, thus resulting in a more pronounced midfield battle. I'll have to try to edit the opposition teams, too.
I play 4-1-2-1-2 narrow, Defense: Width = 40, Height = 60, Attack: Width = 40
OS sliders with Normal speed and the following tweaks (User/CPU):
Sprint speed: 34/34
Acceleration: 45/44
GK ability: 50/50
First touch error: 85/85
It's not perfect but I had enjoyable moments.
Already covered in FIFA 22 with videos

I have a theory[...]
That theory did not work in F22.
I was editing entire teams with new individual instructions and havent seen any differences.
AI is just hard coded to stay away from you and stick to their positions, because god forbid they get to close and online players will go mad that AI is helping too much.
They butchered the core of the AI and it overwrites any tactical instructions that you give them.
Cant see how this would be any different in F23.

Speed (or rythm, or pace or whatver you want to call it) importance is way overrated to me, but in general, not just here. The problem is with fundamentals and animations. They could go meter by meter with Premier League (I somehow doubt it anyway lol), but if you have 22 stupid robots for AI that move and use their limbs in that choppy, jerky way.. yeah, doesn't feel or look anymore realistic or even pleasaurable in any way, at least to me.

That theory did not work in F22.
I was editing entire teams with new individual instructions and havent seen any differences.
AI is just hard coded to stay away from you and stick to their positions, because god forbid they get to close and online players will go mad that AI is helping too much.
They butchered the core of the AI and it overwrites any tactical instructions that you give them.
Cant see how this would be any different in F23.
Did you happen to try it with Live Form off? Did it make any difference?
I am asking because I tried something similar in 22, and I think the Live Form reverted the changes, but I'm not sure anymore.

Did you happen to try it with Live Form off? Did it make any difference?
I am asking because I tried something similar in 22, and I think the Live Form reverted the changes, but I'm not sure anymore.
I honestly dont remember.
I tried so many different settings that it all blends into one..
Whatever I tried I still couldnt get AI to be more aggressive or "alive" on the pitch.

Recent Fifas are an awful chore to play. You have to do everything on the pitch. Switch players to position them, send them individually to make runs, call them towards you if you need support..
Along with Full Manual, which I play, its literally exhausting and not fun at all.

There is no "i" in "Ai".
Its just a chess board with pieces that you have to constantly move yourself, otherwise there is no support from any of them.

At some stage fifa devs forgot that football is a team sport and requires 11 players, not 1 with 10 traffic cones around him.

And AI plays exactly the same. Only controlled AI player is "awake". Rest is not only not getting involved, but do their best to stay away.

If you found a way to fix that in F23 - thats amazing. Although I honestly doubt that. Keep us posted how your experiment is going.

Played a couple more games tonight.
Passing is awful on the game this year, you seem to have very little control of who the pass goes to or the power of the pass.
You tap it goes to player, hold it down again goes to closest player.

The main issue though, is the keepers are criminal.. They are so bad it game breaking.
Not just the keepers are bad I have seen the keepers dive and then instantly stand back up when a shot is blocked.

I don't know what the fuck EA are smoking over in Canada, but I really hope 2K buys the FIFA license and start making a game that resembles football.

I'd love a 2K football game but I don't see it. The FIFA license is really not worth anything for them.

I believe FIFA licence is already sold ... those corrupt bastards would not leave penny for somebody else.

We just need to wait to find out which game it is

I'd love a 2K football game but I don't see it. The FIFA license is really not worth anything for them.

Maybe it would be worth it just for allowing them to drop a trailer of a new game called Fifa, using Song 2 by Blur all over again. That would be a cool way to enter the scene. Well, whoever gets the license, should give it a go. 😅

Last edited:
I believe FIFA licence is already sold ... those corrupt bastards would not leave penny for somebody else.

We just need to wait to find out which game it is

I'm not sure it is. I can't see why a 2K or any other developer would pay the amount they want. It gives you very little for the money.

Maybe it would be worth it just for allowing them to drop a trailer of a new game called Fifa, using Song 2 by Blur all over again. That would be a cool way to enter the scene. Well, whoever gets the license, should give it a go. 😅

They would be better off spending the money to get some leagues/teams. The FIFA license is overpriced for just a name and the World Cup every four years. I was hoping EA would do a compilation video of every FIFA set to Song 2 as a sort of goodbye to FIFA.

They would be better off spending the money to get some leagues/teams. The FIFA license is overpriced for just a name and the World Cup every four years. I was hoping EA would do a compilation video of every FIFA set to Song 2 as a sort of goodbye to FIFA.

Yeah, I know how EA originally got it and how useless it proved to be but they were kinda stuck with it. I suppose that's why doing this silly Fifa thing with Song 2 would be the only possible good use of it, lol.

No idea if they can get worthy leagues though or if those are mostly on an exclusive deal.

Back
Top Bottom