FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

Would I pay £80 for fifa 16? Probably would.
£80 for pes 3,4,5? Without hesitation.
For fifa 23? Hell no. And I am a next gen sap. I have bought every next gen console early on, often without any game to play for up to a year whilst waiting for the next football game to be released.

I just love the excitement of new worlds, new graphics, a new level of immersion, even though I rarely play any games! Yet, I still havent bought a ps5.

Efootball I can play for an hour a month, but it not really a next gen game in any way. So its fifa. And honestly, it looks rubbish. Except for some next-gen shading, the graphics look, at best, somehwere between ps4 pro and ps5. But not next gen. And the gameplay looks depressing. It looks like an arcade game, it really does. As in a game you might find in an actual amusement arcade, not just a.home console arcade football game.

Having just moved house, I unearthed me bulky, bread-bin ps3. If it still works, I'm going to power it up for some Joe Danger and a football fix...of pes 15 on ps3, which was an absolute gem...amazing AI, super smooth, creative goals...just lacked player stat ID, if not player appearance ID.

I knew there was a risk of this sort of talk on a next gen pes thread, but not a fifa thread. Even with how fifa 20 went on ps4 (never played 21 due to midfield dropping off), I never thought EA would go this far with 22 and 23.

It feels like cartoon villainy.

This beta is free and I can't stand more than 5 minutes of it, including load and exit times. I was one of the few who had some fun with FIFA 22 even though it was a demon compared to FIFA 16's angel. FIFA 23 is the devil.

I bought 16 when it first came out on the Xbox One digitally so I've always had that to fall back on but like PES 6 and Konami, the title is an immovable albatross around EA's neck. We know recent titles have had some good/great bits that FIFA 16/PES 6 would have benefitted from but as an overall package and playability, if graphics hadn't evolved, I can't see the later titles would have found a home among any true footy fan. Unless you're obssessed with the latest rosters and kits and can't find a way to edit them, titles since FIFA 16 have been the worst in footy gaming history in terms of reflecting the actual game.

I pulled the trigger and bought the PC version of FIFA 16 this week on Origin and even ordered the physical Xbox One version from Amazon just because the way things are going, it genuinely might be the last good footy game ever released. I know we've gone a few years at times with nothing good from Konami or EA but the way the titles have gone, to arcade FUT type crap, I can't see the games will ever revert to trying to capture the feel of a real game.

I don't know why we're surprised really given almost every great game franchise has come to an end in terms of quality/gameplay but just improved graphically (although FIFA 23 is like trying to play Elden Ring on a PS3 - the animations are so freaking bad, in replays you can see the player hasn't even moved his foot at times to kick the ball). FIFA died at 16 in a blaze of glory with a few threats to come back to life in elements in 17 and 19 but essentially was brain dead. PES has been a ghost since PES 6. Some great little improvements at times but then back to nothingness.

Face it, I think we're done until a revolution starts at Konami or EA or another unknown entry. Footy games are dead and we all attended the funeral back in 2016 but we never accepted one of the key parts of grief, acceptance. We went through anger and denial but we've never moved on and accepted the retro games as the only solution because we refused to accept that with all this new technology that the games AI is dumber than it was 15+ years ago. The audience has changed. Both EA/Konami titles are for the Tik-Tok generation. Short spans of entertainment with no substance or soul.

FIFA and PES are dead, long live FIFA 16 and PES 6!

Last edited:
This beta is free and I can't stand more than 5 minutes of it, including load and exit times. I was one of the few who had some fun with FIFA 22 even though it was a demon compared to FIFA 16's angel. FIFA 23 is the devil.

I bought 16 when it first came out on the Xbox One digitally so I've always had that to fall back on but like PES 6 and Konami, the title is an immovable albatross around EA's neck. We know recent titles have had some good/great bits that FIFA 16/PES 6 would have benefitted from but as an overall package and playability, if graphics hadn't evolved, I can't see the later titles would have found a home among any true footy fan. Unless you're obssessed with the latest rosters and kits and can't find a way to edit them, titles since FIFA 16 have been the worst in footy gaming history in terms of reflecting the actual game.

I pulled the trigger and bought the PC version of FIFA 16 this week on Origin and even ordered the physical Xbox One version from Amazon just because the way things are going, it genuinely might be the last good footy game ever released. I know we've gone a few years at times with nothing good from Konami or EA but the way the titles have gone, to arcade FUT type crap, I can't see the games will ever revert to trying to capture the feel of a real game.

I don't know why we're surprised really given almost every great game franchise has come to an end in terms of quality/gameplay but just improved graphically (although FIFA 23 is like trying to play Elden Ring on a PS3 - the animations are so freaking bad, in replays you can see the player hasn't even moved his foot at times to kick the ball). FIFA died at 16 in a blaze of glory with a few threats to come back to life in elements in 17 and 19 but essentially was brain dead. PES has been a ghost since PES 6. Some great little improvements at times but then back to nothingness.

Face it, I think we're done until a revolution starts at Konami or EA or another unknown entry. Footy games are dead and we all attended the funeral back in 2016 but we never accepted one of the key parts of grief, acceptance. We went through anger and denial but we've never moved on and accepted the retro games as the only solution because we refused to accept that with all this new technology that the games AI is dumber than it was 15+ years ago. The audience has changed. Both EA/Konami titles are for the Tik-Tok generation. Short spans of entertainment with no substance or soul.

Yeah, fifa is slowly moving towards becoming a social media platform that involves football.

The last game of the beta I played, I was winning 2-1 and just decided to quit out of the game and uninstalled it. Not worth the time, effort or storage space, imo.

Does anyone have the beta on ps4/xboxone? I was looking at youtube videos with gameplay and they don't seem that bad, I am curious to hear some impressions. Thanks!

Does anyone have the beta on ps4/xboxone? I was looking at youtube videos with gameplay and they don't seem that bad, I am curious to hear some impressions. Thanks!
the strategy of EA is to create a game look like this and make you buy the new gen console

FIFA has switched their focus from realism/arcade to fortnite/gaccha garbage. EA's older arcadish fifa titles were more enjoyable than what we have had for the last couple of years. Even the graphics and art style looks ugly, there is nothing redeemable about FIFA anymore in my opinion.

The cancer that is known as FUT has metastasized at this point. FIFA is dead.

Got a beta code today. I think it plays really really quick. I had slow gamespeed 1 sprint speed and 43 acceleration and still felt warp speed.

Finally got my BETA code today gave it a go on World Class..
Never in my life have I played such a pile of shite in all my life.

Admittedly I didn't give it a good go, as playing on WC Man Utd v Villa, I was 3-0 up in 18 minutes.
How easy it is to score on this game makes it an absolute shambles and a joke of a game.

I will now cancel my pre-order and cancel my EA Play Pro as well, no football game should ever be this easy.

The game is an unbalanced mess that makes it easy to score but midfield and defenders have literally zero situational awareness. Scoring goals offers no sense of accomplishment.
That is my biggest problem.

It is so easy for people to say "you're stuck in the past" if you say something used to be better than it is now. But in the likes of FIFA 16, and the old PES games, your chances had to be earned because the AI's defensive fundamentals are solid (and even the worst teams have an understanding of where the danger is, and they're "allowed" to try and snuff it out).

In those matches where you manage to create just a few shooting opportunities, scoring a goal is the best feeling outside of the bedroom.

In this beta, you get a scoring chance by pressing pass 3-4 times without even having to aim your passes properly (or by running box-to-box with your fastest player). Scoring has no feeling whatsoever.

Again, those old games - PES in-particular - had fully-assisted controls, yet you couldn't often hit a few passes and be in on goal. Any passes you tried that were too difficult for the player based on his attributes just wouldn't make it.

In that sense, it's hard to feel like the gameplay hasn't seriously regressed. Possibly for the sake of streamlining the experience and not upsetting people who say "I aimed the right way, why did my pass fail". Which is just so sad considering the technology involved.

You try to analyze how bad the game is but you forget the most basic advantage that exists within it. No video game company is going to reach the level that FUT is designed for or the content it has. They succeeded and made something addictive and they don't care about anything else. No matter how much we cry, nothing is going to change when they make billions by selling cards. The content of efootball is funny and even more so than the games that may come where they try to copy FUT like UFL.

Last edited:
That is my biggest problem.

It is so easy for people to say "you're stuck in the past" if you say something used to be better than it is now. But in the likes of FIFA 16, and the old PES games, your chances had to be earned because the AI's defensive fundamentals are solid (and even the worst teams have an understanding of where the danger is, and they're "allowed" to try and snuff it out).
This.

As I think we’ve said before, we’re not trying to stop people having FUT type gameplay. What’s frustrating is the lack of choice.

If you’re into racing games, you can choose arcade racing, like Grid, or simulation racing, like iRacing, and lots in between.

But for the world’s most popular game you’re stuck with one choice - arcade.

But for the world’s most popular game you’re stuck with one choice - arcade.

The most arcade of games tried their best to stop you from scoring and actually be a challenge to play, so I don't think this sim/arcade distinction is even relevant anymore. Similarly an arcade racing game can still be hard & fun vs the AI even if the physics are not meant to be serious - realistic.

This is worse than an arcade game, the developer implemented attacking AI only, goals mean nothing, getting to the final 3rd can be done by my cat and overall the gameplay only works as a cure for insomnia. I feel like my brain is more engaged when passively watching a movie on tv than when "actively" playing a game like this.

Last edited:
The most arcade of games tried their best to stop you from scoring and actually be a challenge to play, so I don't think this sim/arcade distinction is even relevant anymore. Similarly an arcade racing game can still be hard & fun vs the AI even if the physics are not meant to be serious - realistic.

This is worse than an arcade game, the developer implemented attacking AI only, goals mean nothing, getting to the final 3rd can be done by my cat and overall the gameplay only works as a cure for insomnia. I feel like my brain is more engaged when passively watching a movie on tv than when "actively" playing a game like this.
Good point.

You try to analyze how bad the game is but you forget the most basic advantage that exists within it. No video game company is going to reach the level that FUT is designed for or the content it has. They succeeded and made something addictive and they don't care about anything else. No matter how much we cry, nothing is going to change when they make billions by selling cards. The content of efootball is funny and even more so than the games that may come where they try to copy FUT like UFL.

Why do so many of these FUT morons use an orange ball in good weather? These people are an affront to human dignity

Its such a shame really, because I enjoyed Fifa 22 much more before all the patches, and would love if the brain dead defender would be toggled on or off, or just bundled with competitor mode.
I can live with the animations and sliding, but its frustrating to know there is potential there instead of yelling at my defenders when they keep going back back back all the way next to my goalie.

But what else is there? I'm gonna end up prob buying '23 because I am probably going to be able to have fun with it but it could be so much more if they hadnt taken that direction 2-3 years ago where they turned soccer into basketball on grass.

EA need to focus on this major problem. You can see it on every official video and most of FIFA 23 beta ones.
We hope developers can hearing and listening to us!

Its such a shame really, because I enjoyed Fifa 22 much more before all the patches, and would love if the brain dead defender would be toggled on or off, or just bundled with competitor mode.
I can live with the animations and sliding, but its frustrating to know there is potential there instead of yelling at my defenders when they keep going back back back all the way next to my goalie.

But what else is there? I'm gonna end up prob buying '23 because I am probably going to be able to have fun with it but it could be so much more if they hadnt taken that direction 2-3 years ago where they turned soccer into basketball on grass.
Hey hey don't slag off basketball buddy ,I'd say it more Fortnite on a football pitch.
I wouldn't take 23 or 22 even if given to me.

The FIFA franchise has been on a slippery slope since EA stopped using the ignite engine in favour of the Frostbite engine which feels totally unsuitable for a sports game. I'm sure hardcore FUT gamers with deep pockets will lap this game up but it's just another middle finger to everyone else.

The FIFA franchise has been on a slippery slope since EA stopped using the ignite engine in favour of the Frostbite engine which feels totally unsuitable for a sports game. I'm sure hardcore FUT gamers with deep pockets will lap this game up but it's just another middle finger to everyone else.

I dont think its the engine, although I agree it might not be suited for sports games (or they still have problems working with it).
If they had ignite engine now, I do think it would still be what it is now. A lot of those flaws are by design.

Back
Top Bottom