FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

Played FIFA 16 for a few hours today which was a bad move because now the other games feel 10x as bad.

How the heck did they mess up with 16 as a base to build on? Literally all they had to do was slowly update the graphics (even keep the same animations, we didn’t need another 20K of them because less of them are used than in 22 and 23 than in 16 🙄), update the kits and rosters and tart up the UI and I’d have paid $100 a year for it.

instead we’ve got titles now that leave you feel ripped off even if you get them for free.

Try to be possitive here. Imagine Spiderman as Goalkeeper and Superman at Striker...
Its going to be amazing!!!

Try to be possitive here. Imagine Spiderman as Goalkeeper and Superman at Striker...

Tottenham fans holding a Ljungberg banner while playing against Arsenal...Nice...
Graphics look like ps3 for some reason especially in the pre match presentation where the players line up on the pitch.
Ramsdale and Lloris are more concerned to protect their face with their gloves instead of fucking stretch a hand to block the ball.
Movement still looks cartoony and ridiculous with too fast and twitchy animations.
Most passes still look too weightless and ping pongy fast.
Only good thing is some shooting animations which look realistic enough like that finesse ones but again the keepers do fuck all to save them so the goals feel cheap.

By the way..they raised the price even more this year..The normal edition was 70 euros last year and now it's 80 on the ps5...LOL 80 FUCKING EUROS for this shit..I understand having a next gen game that has been developed for many years to have such a price..like GTA 6 or something..but for an annual game with very limited additions from the previous..? It's a fucking scam...It should cost 50-60 tops..Unless it's gonna be much improved by some miracle (won't gonna happen but just wishful thinking) and the price drops to half i'm surely not getting it...I don't know what anyone says but eFootball even in it's current state looks and feels much more like football on the pitch than this Marvel game.

I hate the jackets the players wear during match intro. They look so static compared to rest of the things. Heck, even FIFA street on ps3 had cloth simulation on them. Throughout the years, even the visual consistency has taken a massive dive.

I hate the jackets the players wear during match intro. They look so static compared to rest of the things. Heck, even FIFA street on ps3 had cloth simulation on them. Throughout the years, even the visual consistency has taken a massive dive.
Must be from the “Jacket & Hyde“ collection! 😉

I was talking to mates last night about the physics, and how truly random they feel. The "feel" of PES (not just the PS1 and PS2 days but later ones too) is a very difficult thing to describe, but your input / the length of time you held the button / the spin that was on the ball as you kicked it...

It translated so perfectly to the outcome. The flight and the weight of the shot felt right, and importantly, consistent. Here I'll receive a pass that's just begging to be hit and smashed low, but the shot will cause the ball to float through the air like a shopping bag in the wind. It just doesn't make sense.

Speaking of which. I realised something about goalkeepers. I don't think they're really part of the goalscoring equation.

Sometimes you'll hit a shot that's heading a foot wide of the keeper, and you'll see them backing away like this - they'll back away, withdraw their hands, move their arms away from the ball and let you score:

Later on, the same goalkeeper will skate across the line (like in the 23 trailer) and fly like Superman to stop a ball going into the top corner that would be physically impossible to stop.

I've also seen (and taken a clip of) a goalkeeper launching himself into a dive, then in mid-air "snapping" his legs down to the ground so that he's no longer diving but stood up ready for the deflected shot.

It's such a mess.

I was talking to mates last night about the physics, and how truly random they feel. The "feel" of PES (not just the PS1 and PS2 days but later ones too) is a very difficult thing to describe, but your input / the length of time you held the button / the spin that was on the ball as you kicked it...

It translated so perfectly to the outcome. The flight and the weight of the shot felt right, and importantly, consistent. Here I'll receive a pass that's just begging to be hit and smashed low, but the shot will cause the ball to float through the air like a shopping bag in the wind. It just doesn't make sense.

Speaking of which. I realised something about goalkeepers. I don't think they're really part of the goalscoring equation.

Sometimes you'll hit a shot that's heading a foot wide of the keeper, and you'll see them backing away like this - they'll back away, withdraw their hands, move their arms away from the ball and let you score:

Later on, the same goalkeeper will skate across the line (like in the 23 trailer) and fly like Superman to stop a ball going into the top corner that would be physically impossible to stop.

I've also seen (and taken a clip of) a goalkeeper launching himself into a dive, then in mid-air "snapping" his legs down to the ground so that he's no longer diving but stood up ready for the deflected shot.

It's such a mess.
Been saying that for some time… keeper do inappropriate moves! Out of context! Total nonsense moves not even I would attempt at Sunday leagues.

there’s this one situation, shown in your clip above. then there are multiple others like when the ball goes 10cm over his head and he just drops the body (with hands high!) or choosing the wrong hand, not doing over head stretches with the correct hand… and so on.

the animations are there, just choosing the correct one is a problem. Same stuff Matt was talking about. 1 milllion animations are worth nothing, if they don’t work together appropriately.

and when playing low level teams or second league teams and the keeper was doing such stuff, I was asking myself if this down to the animations department or is this just how the game (on purpose) handles goals scoring overall! 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
The crazy speed of the action actually kinda masks how stupid the game can be at times, as you don't have enough time to process what the heck is going on. I viewed a video at 0.75 playback speed on youtube, and oh boy, there's something looking bad with the game / AI, every few seconds.

Last edited:
That spurs arsenal video.
Something that has always plagued Fifa is the weird refereeing.
Red cards for nothing, I'm too scared to tackle playing FIFA 17/18/20 (binned 22) since you can get sent off for a tackle that should get you a yellow instead.

The video here, opening minutes and a red card in a derby.
Really poor

OMG what is that shit?
The washed colors, the speed, these animations, the rocket ball with no physic , the superglu control, it's not football.
If my beta looks like this, i will uninstall it !

The beta gameplay is so bad it makes EFootball feel like a masterpiece. The ai defenders runaround like headless chickens with lead boots and buildup play and scoring goals feels incredibly unsatisfying.

How crapy Fifa23 are but call me sadist, I think I will buy it.

But holly cow. The prices for it. NG for 80,00€. This is way to much for it. How is it possible? How can €A want that amount of cash for his piece of "hey give us your money for the game + the ca$h for the fut and we give you some beautiful cards with marvel pictures on it and you will get a former football game."

Any tips for a serius offer with cheap price. I looked on g2a they have it with something around 54€ or so. But it seems it isn't NG rather than Xbox one.

But holly cow. The prices for it. NG for 80,00€. This is way to much for it. How is it possible?

They can do it because people like you buy this crap anyway... That's the circle of stupidity, all people complain about this shit game, but on day 1 it's like "shut up and take my money"

Sad but true. 🤷🏼‍♂️

But holly cow. The prices for it. NG for 80,00€. This is way to much for it. How is it possible? How can €A want that amount of cash for his piece of "hey give us your money for the game + the ca$h for the fut and we give you some beautiful cards with marvel pictures on it and you will get a former football game."

Any tips for a serius offer with cheap price. I looked on g2a they have it with something around 54€ or so. But it seems it isn't NG rather than Xbox one.

It is pretty crazy how much prices have increased. To be honest these games drop in price pretty fast. Usually a month in you will probbably see it at the "normal" price ($59.99, I'm in the US though), usually by black friday they are down to $29.99
Don't know what platform you are looking for me the best deal is on xbox because Gamepass Ultimate has 10% off due to EA play so instead of 69.99 its 62.99. I think the 10% off might apply to PC too if you have gamepass.
But yeah.. prices are ridiculous.
My SNES games were $49.99 although money back then wasnt worth what it is now....

Honestly, I put it on once a day (I'm in the beta, I feel like it's my duty) and I swear, without exaggeration, I manage two minutes tops before I have to turn it off in absolute despair.

Tonight was less than a minute. Crystal Palace v Torino. AI kicks off, my midfielders all back off and immediately fan out to stand as far apart as possible. They do this as the Torino players absolutely pile through the gaps.

Two passes (including kick-off) and they're in on goal. I hold LT/L2 as the defender and "bash" the ball off the striker (no tackle required, just a bumper car smash).

Then I hit a through-ball to my striker, standing unmarked and onside in the final third, and now I'M in on goal. So that's three passes (including kick-off), and what would have been two shots.

Power off.

I just can't stress enough how shockingly bad it is (and I thought 22 was bad). The videos that have leaked over the last few posts fully reflect the quality of the game. Just like the trailers did.

Lots of people keep pointing out that the beta is old code, and I have to admit I briefly enjoyed the release version of 22, so there's the slightest flicker of hope. But as it stands...

IMO it's truly the worst FIFA has been since the PS2 days. I would go as far as to say "unplayable" without feeling that I'm being hysterical. I am just so shocked at just how broken the gameplay is in 50 different ways. It's reached the limit of what they can do with this engine. EAFC just HAS to be the point at which they start again.

I played the beta too and I didn't have the same feelings. I trust you Chris but I have a very different point of view.

There is the lack of crosses, Cpu prefers to make a dribble (on WC level). Other problem : the pourcentage of shoot on goal is top high. More than 50 in most of the matches. Marking is not enough strong, even with a 75 on slider. CPU will track you but i would like more contact. I have won two penalties since the beggening of the beta

I haven't seen in 30 matches a three passes goal. Never.

Scores at the moment were good : 1-0/3-1/1-2/0-0/ and when i didn't give a damned about defending, it could be 5-2 for me.

The feeling and the speed of the game were better than FIFA 22. Even on night matchs, the speed is a bit higher but playable.

I'm pleased to play it after working. Everything is not perfect, I repeat, but I enjoyed it.

Last edited:
80 euros FFS, i've just falled of my chair, i'm currently writing with my ass on the ground. I've just fall twice, once after seeing the beta vid, the second after the price (was harder to get my head straight after the second fall)

That vid is the real Fifa untouched which cost 80 euros and the one which will be played online/on competition and be sold by millions. Just can't believe it.

@saturator if your "version" (sliders + assistance removed) is feeling different and even if it's not the best game you played and just want your annual Footie game, no one will stop or blame your for buying it. You don't play for people sake. No one.

You'll just be a naughty, naughty boy, and your wallet will hate you for the rest of your life that's all 😉

No joke we all buy unuseful stuff etc., but it's not a brand new game with 3-4 years of development, artistically and with a X years longevity like an Elden Ring or whatever else.
Perhaps because it's the last EA sports football game named "FIFA" with the official licence, or just a try at launch as people wants it day one, and there's no "full game" concurrent any more.

Last edited:

I did the following:
1. I bought cheaper PSN credit due Eneba (factor 0,78)
2. I bought a one month membership of EA Play for 0,99€ to get 10% discount
3. I used FIFA 22 to get another 10% of discount

Overall I paid 64€ for the Ultimate version instead of 99€. You can use this method of course also for the Standard Edition.

I did the following:
1. I bought cheaper PSN credit due Eneba (factor 0,78)
2. I bought a one month membership of EA Play for 0,99€ to get 10% discount
3. I used FIFA 22 to get another 10% of discount

Overall I paid 64€ for the Ultimate version instead of 99€. You can use this method of course also for the Standard Edition.
I have to go disc… for the vanilla and reselling purposes.
80 bucks really is steep! 😳 maybe there is a release price drop at our local tech markets.

Last edited:
Price will drop later for sure... No i'm joking : only when there will be promotions -25% ;)

Just asking : wasn't the 22 version at lauch on digital only 10 euros cheaper like 69.99 ? I got it for less but on physical.

I remember checking not so long that FIFA 22 on Digital, Standard edition got the exact same price, i was wtf.
But cheaper when there were Easter promotions of course, don't remember about Christmas. But still expensive and not that "-%" for what an "old" game, i think it was during Easter i saw it.

The special shit edition (FUT or super special pack) was practically 99.99 euros no?

No i don't remember exactly the price but it was the same as the launch even very late, perhaps 5 bucks less.

Would I pay £80 for fifa 16? Probably would.
£80 for pes 3,4,5? Without hesitation.
For fifa 23? Hell no. And I am a next gen sap. I have bought every next gen console early on, often without any game to play for up to a year whilst waiting for the next football game to be released.

I just love the excitement of new worlds, new graphics, a new level of immersion, even though I rarely play any games! Yet, I still havent bought a ps5.

Efootball I can play for an hour a month, but it not really a next gen game in any way. So its fifa. And honestly, it looks rubbish. Except for some next-gen shading, the graphics look, at best, somehwere between ps4 pro and ps5. But not next gen. And the gameplay looks depressing. It looks like an arcade game, it really does. As in a game you might find in an actual amusement arcade, not just a.home console arcade football game.

Having just moved house, I unearthed me bulky, bread-bin ps3. If it still works, I'm going to power it up for some Joe Danger and a football fix...of pes 15 on ps3, which was an absolute gem...amazing AI, super smooth, creative goals...just lacked player stat ID, if not player appearance ID.

I knew there was a risk of this sort of talk on a next gen pes thread, but not a fifa thread. Even with how fifa 20 went on ps4 (never played 21 due to midfield dropping off), I never thought EA would go this far with 22 and 23.

It feels like cartoon villainy.

Back
Top Bottom