FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

As I say, having (very) briefly spoken to a dev, and seen not only the comments on the feedback forum ("slow, PES-like dribbling" - if only), but the comments EA choose to respond to...

...it's very, very clear that they aren't interested in making a football game for us.

It's not their objective, it's not where the money is, and - most importantly - the Career Mode players who still play the game after the first week largely use Competitor Mode, buy Ronaldo when they're managing Leyton Orient, and don't have a problem with the gameplay.

There's been less and less football in every game from FIFA 16 onwards, because they found out that simplistic sells. I'll give FIFA 19 another go tonight based on this post, but I reckon I'll think 18 is better, and that 17 is better than that, and 16... Well, if the physics/animations weren't way too fast (in my opinion), I don't think I'd be on here whinging. I'd just be playing that forever and posting clips of every goal.

I'll give this a go for you tonight Anth (in about 9-10 hours) and report back.

EDIT, NOTE TO SELF: Also check to see if this is the same...

Needless to say, I'm curious about that. Also the weird ball/net blur and the AI's lofted five yard passes. They were small things that I just couldn't fathom throughout FIFA 22's life.

Needless to say, I'm curious about that. Also the weird ball/net blur and the AI's lofted five yard passes. They were small things that I just couldn't fathom throughout FIFA 22's life.
Surprisingly, both the ball-in-snow issue and Anth's issue seem fixed (I'll let Anth answer properly later on, I'm not sure I've run the test properly). Plus no weird blurry nets when the ball goes past them, and no glitchy AI lofted passes with no power in them.

However - on the snow matches...

I've tested the snow in several stadiums, and it looks like they've ditched properly snowy pitches. (Which is probably more realistic, though I do like a snowy pitch.)

So, funnily enough, you don't actually need the ball colour to change any more (because the pitch is largely green). Nor do you need the pitch marking colour to change, which they automatically do (to orange). But... They fixed it...

TvYelft.jpg

Last edited:
Surprisingly, both the ball-in-snow issue and Anth's issue seem fixed (I'll let Anth answer properly later on, I'm not sure I've run the test properly). Plus no weird blurry nets when the ball goes past them, and no glitchy AI lofted passes with no power in them.

I've tested the snow in several stadiums, and it looks like they've ditched properly snowy pitches. (Which is probably more realistic, though I do like a snowy pitch.)

So, funnily enough, you don't actually need the ball colour to change any more (because the pitch is largely green). Nor do you need the pitch marking colour to change, which they automatically do (to orange). But... They fixed it...

TvYelft.jpg

[Pre-orders, books two weeks annual leave from September 30th]

TvYelft.jpg
Does snow hang on the nets?! Please take a picture if so!

TvYelft.jpg
Chris can you please check if there is still forced pitch wear happening in Career mode? From what i remember @Mikhail said here it starts around October-November in the calendar (correct me if i'm wrong mate) so you can sim it around that time and try some matches to see if it's there.Try league matches with a PL team by the way..In European matches it's disabled anyway.

I suspect that maybe they removed it because they're introducing pitch wear in real time from tackles etc..I hope that's the case. As minor as it may sound to others..this is one of the biggest reasons why i wouldn't play a whole Career year..It just looks pathetic playing in these shitty turfs..But if they removed it this year or at least put an option for it in the settings (which i highly doubt) then i'll seriously consider getting it and invest some more time in Career.

Does snow hang on the nets?! Please take a picture if so!
It doesn't, sorry. Snow flicks everywhere when players kick and the ball rolls, but it's constant and really excessive (considering there's barely any snow on the pitch). As is EA's way. Why add something with subtlety or realism when you can Hollywood it up, baby?

Chris can you please check if there is still forced pitch wear happening in Career mode? From what i remember @Mikhail said here it starts around October-November in the calendar (correct me if i'm wrong mate) so you can sim it around that time and try some matches to see if it's there.Try league matches with a PL team by the way..In European matches it's disabled anyway.
Simmed to December 10th as Crystal Palace. No pitch wear. Standard pitch.

But if they removed it this year or at least put an option for it in the settings (which i highly doubt) then i'll seriously consider getting it and invest some more time in Career.
Don't do it. It's appalling. Only my opinion, but people enjoying the beta are few and far between in the feedback forum. It's the most goal-to-goal, no-thought-required-to-play football game I've ever played. 2-3 passes are you're in on goal. Then they do the same back to you.

Not only that but physics are so much worse (and "gamified") that it's genuinely shocked me. Smash a pass at 100mph to your pass target and the ball hits their boot as if it's a cushion. Seriously. It stops dead, but then bounces off just the slightest bit, in the perfect place - and as you move around with it, it's glued to your foot.

The feel is just... Horrible. Really horrible. Some passes feel like you're kicking a cake. The foot smashes into it and the power transfer is minimal. Other times it's the opposite - barely touch it, and it flies off like a bullet.

The AI is the worst it's ever been too. World Class is "pass around the edge of the box, through ball, shoot" and nothing else. Legendary is "few passes, Power Shot (TM) from 30 yards out, goal right in the top corner". Every time they have the ball. No matter how good or bad the player.

Thankfully more people are noticing than ever. I saw a couple of people in the feedback area today saying "the AI have literally never hit a cross, a lofted ball, or a chip - it's just standard passes, bullet passes and power shots". The teams' attributes have absolutely no impact on the AI's play. It's an absolute mess.

Looking forward to the first update though...

It doesn't, sorry. Snow flicks everywhere when players kick and the ball rolls, but it's constant and really excessive (considering there's barely any snow on the pitch). As is EA's way. Why add something with subtlety or realism when you can Hollywood it up, baby?

Don't do it. It's appalling. Only my opinion, but people enjoying the beta are few and far between in the feedback forum. It's the most goal-to-goal, no-thought-required-to-play football game I've ever played. 2-3 passes are you're in on goal. Then they do the same back to you.

Not only that but physics are so much worse (and "gamified") that it's genuinely shocked me. Smash a pass at 100mph to your pass target and the ball hits their boot as if it's a cushion. Seriously. It stops dead, but then bounces off just the slightest bit, in the perfect place - and as you move around with it, it's glued to your foot.

The feel is just... Horrible. Really horrible. Some passes feel like you're kicking a cake. The foot smashes into it and the power transfer is minimal. Other times it's the opposite - barely touch it, and it flies off like a bullet.

The AI is the worst it's ever been too. World Class is "pass around the edge of the box, through ball, shoot" and nothing else. Legendary is "few passes, Power Shot (TM) from 30 yards out, goal right in the top corner". Every time they have the ball. No matter how good or bad the player.

Thankfully more people are noticing than ever. I saw a couple of people in the feedback area today saying "the AI have literally never hit a cross, a lofted ball, or a chip - it's just standard passes, bullet passes and power shots". The teams' attributes have absolutely no impact on the AI's play. It's an absolute mess.

Big Update !!!

I saw a post about sliders before, and it made me go and look at what sliders other EA games have.

Check out just SOME (!) of NHL's sliders, that FIFA could benefit from (replacing "skate" with "jog", "puck" with "ball", etc.):

• Fatigue Rate - how quickly fatigue accumulates
  • Fatigue Recovery Rate - how quickly fatigue recovers when the player is motionless
  • Fatigue Recovery Rate Between Days - how much fatigue is recovered between matches
  • Minimum Pass Speed - the speed of the slowest pass possible
  • Maximum Pass Speed - the speed of the fastest pass possible
  • Backwards Jogging Speed - how quickly players can sideways/backwards-walk
  • Sprint Type - "realistic" top speed increase or "arcade" top speed increase
  • Defensive Interception Rate - how likely the AI is to block pass channels
  • Player Reaction Time - how quickly players can readjust to block, intercept, control or hit the ball
  • Ball Carrier Ability - the likelihood of the player losing control of the ball when dribbling
  • Ball Carrier Jog Speed - the speed drop-off of the player when in possession of the ball
  • First-Time & Volley Accuracy - how accurate first-time passes and shots are
  • GK Reaction Time - how quick the goalie's reflexes are
  • GK Deflection Reaction Time - how quickly the goalie can react to a changed ball path
  • GK Unsighted Effect - how long it takes the goalie to track the ball after being unsighted
  • Aggression - how likely the AI is to foul you
  • Size Effect - how easy it is for strong players to hold off weaker ones
  • AI Learning Effect - how quickly the AI adapts to your playstyle
  • Strategy Adjustment - how often the AI adjusts their tactics dependent on scoreline etc.

Seeing that list makes me realise how fucked up so many of those variables are, and how much better we could make the game offline if we just had those sliders.

...if they worked. But because of all the "building on top of legacy code" stuff, I don't think they would.

(Also, before anyone says it, of course we shouldn't have to "fix" the game with sliders. But it's clear the game is made with online players in mind, and with these options... We could make it considerably more playable... Which, right now, FIFA 23 needs.)

This is some footage of FIFA 22. The game is a bit fast because I have the speed night bug.
Did you see your problem on this video?

I watched a little bit of it. It is there, but it's not always so obvious. If you just pretty much stand still you'll notice that the CPU just gives up a lot of ground for no real reason aside from the fact an opposition player wants to occupy a deeper position. There is often a 'settling point' (around the edge of the box) where they will hold their line better. It doesn't happen 100% of the time and it's worse on PES 2021 but it has a definite negative impact on midfield. You won't see this in 16. If you want to get through the midfield you need to earn it.

I couldn't think it was doable, isn't a visual effect due to some more fluidity? I mean you see even better how the hell those fly... Flies but on the ground.

FFS. In fact i'm interested of how far they're going to kill their game. Or doing all the opposite of what we want.
It's like they coming here, read and said "we need to build the opposite of what those guys wants and said" :SHOCK: It's even fearing, no joke.
But there's fixes! While they're crushing the game year after year : they put some cherry on the cake (the "cake" version isn't the yummy one you can eat)

Sad, even if some stuff annoyed me, i got fun to play Seasons in the past. Didn't took the game seriously but there's limits.
Now it's a shoot-to-goal simulation from what i see, from your feedbacks / thanks.
Frustrating and annoying to defend as it's always in front of goal, to construct and to turn with the ball as it's too fucking similar whatever the stats from the player.

Did one of you remember someone sets 0 to agility last year? I suggested to decreased also Balance. But it didn't changed anything.

I'm between furious and sad : how could some guys have fun with all that shit ? I want to punch them. Well i play retro ftm, but when i read some feedbacks : even if i made a cross on current gen footy games, what i see and read put me on my nerve as i feel it like a "fuck all of you" from companies.

Last thing : i don't want to ear about adjusting "sliders" or "assistance" etc. : a good game will be good with or without fucking assistance. Just a bit more direct, but the AI or keeper or whatever else should follow to keep the balance.

Last edited:
Having thrown my toys out of the pram and cancelling my pre-order a few days ago, I figured I’d give the game another try and play a couple of games with an open mind to see if I was just angry United got spunked over at the weekend and took it out on the beta but no, it’s honestly one of the worst footy games I’ve ever played. Take away the glitzy presentation and it’s horse shit from top to bottom. Forget the lack of a functioning midfield (not remotely fixable by any slider combo I tried) if you can, the rest of the gameplay is just as bad. If anything I see less animations than 22 and some are repeated so frequently you can wait and steal the ball from the CPU mid-sequence because it’s so predictable. It appears the majority of players can only trap the ball in a single repetitive animation and even with first touch error at 100, it’s a miracle Cambridge United aren’t 9 times in a row Champions League winners with their ability to trap a 120mph ball on their weak foot with the ball coming in the air from an angle 🙄

Saw maybe 4 different types of build up from the CPU in total. I guess it’s figured it can just spam this shit like humans and get from their GK to your goal in 3-4 passes with a perfect shot ripped into the top corner by any player you care to shoot with (even with shot error on 75).

Put marking to 100 and see if there’s any difference from 50. There’s none. I scored two goals dribbling with my keeper (agile dribbling off, used no feints) from my 6 yard box all the way up the field (didn’t even use sprint the 2nd time except to outrun Henderson who tried to slide me twice from behind at the halfway line 😂) to deliver a perfect pair of unstoppable low corner shots into the CPUs goal. On World Class playing as Cambridge United against Liverpool 🙄

I don’t care what people think of 22, compared to 23, it’s like PES 6 and FIFA 16 had a baby. Fantastic eFootball beta player movement glitches really add to the new HyperMotion 2.0 experience.

I actually re-ordered the pre-order on the Xbox Store just so I could cancel it again to make a point 😂

Last edited:

Ok thanks for checking it out. This is a big plus for me if the shitty forced pitch wear is indeed gone and if the game turns out to be at least decent at some point maybe i'll consider it..I will wait to test for 10 hours the official release and maybe get it around Black Friday if there is any good discount..We'll see what the patches will bring also..

I'm kinda surprised that you're saying that the feel is so horrible..I remember in a previous post you said that apart from the problematic AI and the space issues etc..that at least you found the movement (the feel of the player) and inertia really good..How did it changed your mind so drastically? Or you only mean the feel of the passes?

Anyway..i'll wait to test it myself when it's gonna be an updated official version. (Which is probably gonna be even worse than the beta lol)

Wow. the most new feedbacks i read the more shocked i am about what i read.
I will never ever understand E-sports players and people which asking for having that kind of thing seriously.

Thanks for your accurate descriptions, like @TheWolf (and his humor). @Chris Davies and @saturator (who was the rare here who liked FIFA 22, but got harsh words on that one... Thanks for your objectivity) A real enigma to me.
I don't care but still try to get the "why".
But if in the same time plenty of people don't like the Beta... You got a hope of some change to at least FIFA 22 level (for the fans)

Last edited:
I know I am in the minority but still enjoying the Beta. I usually only get to play one or two Kick Off matches in the evening at the moment but I am having fun.

Positives for me are: I like the difficulty more than in 22. Games on World Class with Player Bases Difficulty are harder for me than in 22.

I see fouls near the box that give me free kicks. In general have seen some nice tackles by the CPU.

I can feel the difference between certain players.

Goalkeepers had some nice amazing saves.

I love the atmosphere improvement in Bundesliga.

Negatives are:

Not enough Midfield play. Would love to have a slower build up.

Nearly no 0-0 games. Usually each team scores at least 1 goal.

Some weird Bugs.

I played a Match in La Liga Smart Bank (6 Minute halves, World Class, Player Based difficulty).

These are the stats. I think shots are way too high but otherwise game itself felt fine funnily enough.

Score: 2:3

Possession 57-43

Shots 14-15 (too high)

Expected Goals: 2.8 to 4.2

Passes 135 - 120

Tackles 12 - 18

Tackles won: 6 - 8

Pass Accuracy 87 - 93 (way too high for second Spanish league).

I see the flaws but still can enjoy myself. I don't take it too seriously and yes maybe I am the gamer who is happy with a 2-3 with some nice goals and the bells and whistles around. Would love to have more realism but I am also fine with just some relaxing on the couch action to be honest.

Last edited:
I saw a post about sliders before, and it made me go and look at what sliders other EA games have.

Check out just SOME (!) of NHL's sliders, that FIFA could benefit from (replacing "skate" with "jog", "puck" with "ball", etc.):

• Fatigue Recovery Rate - how quickly fatigue recovers when the player is motionless
  • Fatigue Recovery Rate Between Days - how much fatigue is recovered between matches
  • Backwards Jogging Speed - how quickly players can sideways/backwards-walk
  • Player Reaction Time - how quickly players can readjust to block, intercept, control or hit the ball
  • Ball Carrier Ability - the likelihood of the player losing control of the ball when dribbling
  • Ball Carrier Jog Speed - the speed drop-off of the player when in possession of the ball
  • GK Reaction Time - how quick the goalie's reflexes are
  • GK Deflection Reaction Time - how quickly the goalie can react to a changed ball path
  • GK Unsighted Effect - how long it takes the goalie to track the ball after being unsighted
  • Size Effect - how easy it is for strong players to hold off weaker ones
  • Strategy Adjustment - how often the AI adjusts their tactics dependent on scoreline etc.

Seeing that list makes me realise how fucked up so many of those variables are, and how much better we could make the game offline if we just had those sliders.

...if they worked. But because of all the "building on top of legacy code" stuff, I don't think they would.

(Also, before anyone says it, of course we shouldn't have to "fix" the game with sliders. But it's clear the game is made with online players in mind, and with these options... We could make it considerably more playable... Which, right now, FIFA 23 needs.)
How there are mocking us in 22…

yeah right, foot planting… please don’t fail me now… 🤪

we gotta start reading more between the lines. The ost is released before the game?!

• Strategy Adjustment - how often the AI adjusts their tactics dependent on scoreline etc

It's a joke how Fifa doesn't have options like these.

The point is, it doesn't freaking matter (and it shouldn't matter) that most players want goalfests, speed & use competitor mode, if you have options for everyone.

Imagine wondering every year "gee, what bs will the content creators & most users want to see in the game this time?". You just get the game & tweak it to your liking, no drama, no toxicity.

Last edited:
It's a joke how Fifa doesn't have options like these.

The point is, it doesn't freaking matter (and it shouldn't matter) that most players want goalfests, speed & use competitor mode, if you have options for everyone.
That’s it. We’re not going to get the change of direction we want at the moment, options are really our only hope now. I don’t think we should turn our noses up at sliders etc. We obviously all want the core out of the box to be right, but if it isn’t going to happen we have to look at what can help. For me too, options help.

That’s it. We’re not going to get the change of direction we want at the moment, options are really our only hope now. I don’t think we should turn our noses up at sliders etc. We obviously all want the core out of the box to be right, but if it isn’t going to happen we have to look at what can help. For me too, options help.

Of course, no doubt options are the only sane hope one can have for the future, but currently there are no options that fix AI defending. Game needs new sliders and some of the existing ones don't even work anymore & need fixing...

Last edited:
Said it a billions times.
Sliders ,if not tendencies are involved, what's the point?
That's where you change how the CPU (and your) players behave.
Now we can make the game faster/slower passing better/worse shooting better/worse and how high/wide/deep the team stands.

Wow. the most new feedbacks i read the more shocked i am about what i read.
I will never ever understand E-sports players and people which asking for having that kind of thing seriously.

Thanks for your accurate descriptions, like @TheWolf (and his humor). @Chris Davies and @saturator (who was the rare here who liked FIFA 22, but got harsh words on that one... Thanks for your objectivity) A real enigma to me.
I don't care but still try to get the "why".
But if in the same time plenty of people don't like the Beta... You got a hope of some change to at least FIFA 22 level (for the fans)
You're welcome mate.

I would like first to apologie because my worlds yesterday against you were too strong, sorry for that.

I enjoy FIFA 22, it's not my fault, i would like to hate it like the majority but i want to play game After game After game.

A good game doesn't need sliders so since FIFA 18, FIFA is a bad game.
I can't only appreciate it with playing with sliders.

I need my footy game yearly so i do my best to find the good ways to have a décent gameplay. And share what I have found

The first one was to play semi and after FUMA. It helps to kick some script out.

Midfields and tracking back were areas hard to fix.

We love football but we're not the target and it's dead for us. Konami lies and throw us with the toilet water with E football. EA with fut and all Marvel shit send us a strong message : old men, go away, we want fresh people who like cards more like football.

So i will fight against all this crap because on each FIFA code, there are some good things. We will never have a real simulation but WE deserve to have fun with a decent game who respects physic laws. It's my mission my friends. Amen😉

Of course, no doubt options are the only sane hope one can have for the future, but currently there are no options that fix AI defending. Game needs new sliders and some of the existing ones don't even work anymore & need fixing...
With our current options no. And most likely it wouldn’t be fixed in options, but they could give us an option that ‘assists’ us with defensive *help* for example. Drop in the code from 16 or 17 for defensive AI and you wouldn’t hear too much complaining from me.

Ok thanks for checking it out. This is a big plus for me if the shitty forced pitch wear is indeed gone and if the game turns out to be at least decent at some point maybe i'll consider it..I will wait to test for 10 hours the official release and maybe get it around Black Friday if there is any good discount..We'll see what the patches will bring also..

I'm kinda surprised that you're saying that the feel is so horrible..I remember in a previous post you said that apart from the problematic AI and the space issues etc..that at least you found the movement (the feel of the player) and inertia really good..How did it changed your mind so drastically? Or you only mean the feel of the passes?

Anyway..i'll wait to test it myself when it's gonna be an updated official version. (Which is probably gonna be even worse than the beta lol)
I’m glad to see someone else highlighting the god awful pitch wear in FIFA 22. I’ve not seen many comment on this at all on the FIFA Careers Sub-Reddit, or even here for that matter. Pitches should not look like that in modern football.

Thanks @Chris Davies for giving us the feedback on this.

IF we can fix the full game of FIFA 23 with sliders then it’s going to be something to consider as I’m not going near eFarceball ever again. But from what I’ve read here, it sounds like FIFA 23 is going to be pretty bad for us Career Mode players. :(

Back
Top Bottom