FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

When sim and arcady loving players try to discuss and agree on the game..

conte-tuchel-1.gif

By the way..can someone who has the beta confirm if there is still the shitty pitch wear forced on you in Career mode?
I thought that maybe because they're introducing this new thing where the pitch gets damaged from tackles and celebrations..maybe they'll remove the pitch wear..cause how can it be damaged from tackles if it's already shit right..?

I hope gameplay was set it at fast because I am not going to spend 1 euro for the early access for this thing.

I must be the only one not believing this. Everyone knows now that the animations in their sports games are not pure old fashioned motion capture. Now you've all heard about their algorithms and their machine learning AI manipulating the animations in real time. That's another layer that's not engine dependent. They could port their hypermotion tech to unreal and you would see the same "skating" or whatever.

The way things are going though, I fully accept that I may be vindicated posthumously. 😅

Not the only one thinking about "Frostbite responsible of".
I'm on the excact same boat (more on a pirogue type)

I would add : Frostbite "vanilla" on FIFA 17 got inertia, weight shift, some bugs everywhere (especially in ball physics) but overall the fundamentals of physics in football were respected. About the positionning : it was just converted, simple but effective.

Of course, a new engine can bring some bugs.

But, they removed/changed/fucked up everything.

>I truly believe that gameplay's choice and tendentious modification of the "core" are the responsible of all we got here, year after year they modded it too much to got a results which is resembling to nothing real.

And i add another thing i believe too, is the Frostbite Engine as you can see in some others games like UFC got more physics/realism/inertia/contacts nicely included on theirs others games, but it fitted lesser and lesser with what the devs wanted to create, change, year after year, Fifa's direction, movements etc.
That's why there's tons of stuffs not looking natural, fast-forward etc. : because it's kinda the opposite of what Frosbite settle from the start.

... So my conclusion is that Frostbite is/could be responsible to the weird motions we see on Fifa in one part because it's the opposite of what they wanted to re-create as a super reactive 1v1 game with ball and players moving high-speed and superheroes stuffs we can see all along.
But not responsible from the change of direction and gameplay change. For what they want to create Frostbite is too realistic let's say. They need a dumber engine in fact.
Fifa will still the same overall as it's not even a question to change their chosen bad arcardey e-sport FUT direction, but looking and flowing a bit more naturally.

Last edited:
Welp. Officially cancelled my pre-order today. Even if they tweak this game to improve defensive AI and introduce a functional midfield, there’s very little except for a few aesthetics that improves on FIFA 22 and a number of things are way worse.

With 22, I’ve got sliders I’m mostly happy with and the game plays far better than 23 which might be the most arcade like experience since actual arcade footy games but without the fun and nostalgia.

I don’t care where anybody stands politically but the forced progressiveness in the game is a put-off. They truly designed this game for males and females which fails because men and women want different things from a footy game (how many girls do you know who would choose a sim over arcade?) and you can feel the estrogen creeping in right from the peach and pink opening color schemes. It adds female officials to a 1/3rd of the games (because that’s realistic 🙄) and of course, the hype and focus around the game is aimed dead down the middle again ignoring that for the vast majority, males and females don’t want the same thing in games, the same features, etc. and we know with the new FUT superheroes exactly where this fucking thing is headed.

I’ll stick to FIFA 16/22 and PES 6/2021 and check out EA and Konami’s free shit but neither company will see a cent of my money on footy titles ever again.

I hope gameplay was set it at fast because I am not going to spend 1 euro for the early access for this thing.
I can Say yes the game was on fast and FUTO.
FIFA 23 beta is slower than FIFA 22 by defaut, no sliders. This gameplay looks like shit, there is no other world.

Yes the game is still bad and we fight on the bêta forum to have a far better by default.
It's not normal to have this kind of gameplay without any control.

It's the big problem since many years : if you don't touch some options, the game didn't respect physics laws. It's always faster, faster and faster.

But for now : FIFA 23 beta with sliders is better than FIFA 22 with sliders, maybe better than FIFA 22 bêta befor the patch.

I can Say yes the game was on fast and FUTO.
FIFA 23 beta is slower than FIFA 22 by defaut, no sliders. This gameplay looks like shit, there is no other world.

Yes the game is still bad and we fight on the bêta forum to have a far better by default.
It's not normal to have this kind of gameplay without any control.

It's the big problem since many years : if you don't touch some options, the game didn't respect physics laws. It's always faster, faster and faster.

But for now : FIFA 23 beta with sliders is better than FIFA 22 with sliders, maybe better than FIFA 22 bêta befor the patch.
Are defenders still just blindly following attacking runs?? I hope that is being brought up in the forums. It should be a huge focal point! The whole way the defensive line behaves is so important.

We probably won’t have many victories, if any this year but if we can get rid of some of the game breaking issues it could help..a little.

You can test it by sending your own players on runs (around the halfway line) and watch to see what the defenders do.

Even if you put sliders on the game it didn't follow the law physics @saturator
Sliders is not linked to the core engine. And sliders gives me a very weird feeling when i play + it's to become crazy with their countless sliders killing patches even if you like sliders.

If they add an Agility sliders : it won't add inertia and make harder to do a 180 degree than an 20 (so slower), so with "Agility" slider the player will move less like a fly, by a slowdown fly with super movements in every sense without speed changing. It will feel very weird.

Well to me, sliders changing is 80% a matter of feeling for each people, the rest for the balance it's not that i don't care but it's let's say a bit presumptuous to say "We makes the game balanced with that sliders". I put it on "slow" that all, too much "slidering" can drives you crazy, and i don't talk like it didn't for me lol.

About Sim and all talks around it (was just answering to sliders > correcting, realism feeling etc. etc.) i know i write big posts now i'll separate subjects... With spoilers 😅

Personally i never really wanted a total simulation. It never existed, but a good, balanced action football game : Older PES and FIFA PS360 are called "sim" but they never claimed that, it's a media stuff because you can "feel" football and play, like in a resume including midfield battle, the essence and i will avoid the term "realism", but the logic, basics, limits and possibilities about a a bunch of real people playing game called Football.

Something balanced, which got fundamental that can be play with "assist" or stats for all relative to kicking.

But i would like the choice too : if you really want something close to simulation : removing all assist (there's should be a dribbling assist with the ball rolling when you stop, 30-45 minutes for 1 match etc. etc.

IRL there's tons of human stuffs counted in the clock you can remove. But i will looks pretty slow and "annoying", but incomparable in terms or variety on the pitch. Well it's not my cup of tea like i said above what i want, but i would love to experience something like that. Dreaming 🥲

Devs are very very far from that idea and would even laugh if you told them something like this.

Last edited:
Good lord this marvel collaboration looks as horrendous as it sounds. I know fifa has been on a significant decline in recent years but has the community really invested so much money just for EA to reduce franchise to this?

Even if you put sliders on the game it didn't follow the law physics @saturator
Sliders is not linked to the core engine. And sliders gives me a very weird feeling when i play + it's to become crazy with their countless sliders killing patches even if you like sliders.

If they add an Agility sliders : it won't add inertia and make harder to do a 180 degree than an 20 (so slower), so with "Agility" slider the player will move less like a fly, by a slowdown fly with super movements in every sense without speed changing. It will feel very weird.

Well to me, sliders changing is 80% a matter of feeling for each people, the rest for the balance it's not that i don't care but it's let's say a bit presumptuous to say "We makes the game balanced with that sliders". I put it on "slow" that all, too much "slidering" can drives you crazy, and i don't talk like it didn't for me lol.

About Sim and all talks around it (was just answering to sliders > correcting, realism feeling etc. etc.) i know i write big posts now i'll separate subjects... With spoilers 😅

Personally i never really wanted a total simulation. It never existed, but a good, balanced action football game : Older PES and FIFA PS360 are called "sim" but they never claimed that, it's a media stuff because you can "feel" football and play, like in a resume including midfield battle, the essence and i will avoid the term "realism", but the logic, basics, limits and possibilities about a a bunch of real people playing game called Football.

Something balanced, which got fundamental that can be play with "assist" or stats for all relative to kicking.

But i would like the choice too : if you really want something close to simulation : removing all assist (there's should be a dribbling assist with the ball rolling when you stop, 30-45 minutes for 1 match etc. etc.

IRL there's tons of human stuffs counted in the clock you can remove. But i will looks pretty slow and "annoying", but incomparable in terms or variety on the pitch. Well it's not my cup of tea like i said above what i want, but i would love to experience something like that. Dreaming 🥲

Devs are very very far from that idea and would even laugh if you told them something like this.
Did you have access to the beta? I don't think so... So you speak without having playing the game. Seeing videos is not playing a game.

90% of FIFA videos is FUTO and speed on fast. I played FUMA and on slow. It's not sliders it's only my pad settings. It change many things in terms of speed/reactions on the pitch.

Lack of faults, midfields didn't track back, blind defenders you can correct or attenuate this with sliders or not.

I never said sliders correct inertia, because in the code there is inertia. The players made some steps to turn around, they can't flip flap like FIFA 22. It's my experience. Some Friends played some matchs with me and have the same feelings.

By default and it's the big issue, fast gameplay skipped animations. It's worst on FUTO.

I hadn’t realised how far away this game had truly gone away from football until I downloaded Fifa 19 on the PS5 and used these sliders: https://forums.operationsports.com/...s-fifa-19-professional-world-cup-sliders.html

Wow.

I then went back to Fifa 22. And I’ve put this here because Fifa 23 is obviously built on Fifa 22.

It’s night and day.

Like a lot of people here, I like to play with the latest teams. But having done this, there’s no turning back. Fifa 19 for all its faults is a game of football.

Hypermotion has obviously been designed to make animations quicker, that’s all, and therefore a whole lot more unrealistic. Add to that all the extra space for each player, this series is no longer a football game.

Are defenders still just blindly following attacking runs?? I hope that is being brought up in the forums. It should be a huge focal point! The whole way the defensive line behaves is so important.

We probably won’t have many victories, if any this year but if we can get rid of some of the game breaking issues it could help..a little.

You can test it by sending your own players on runs (around the halfway line) and watch to see what the defenders do.
I have seen a lots of videos with that. I can't say it doesn't happen but with a sliders marking beyond 65 the defender wants to tackle you or grab your shirt.
It depends of the teams top. PSG , Liverpool are agressive with a huge pressure. It's less visible with Watford

I have seen a lots of videos with that. I can't say it doesn't happen but with a sliders marking beyond 65 the defender wants to tackle you or grab your shirt.
It depends of the teams top. PSG , Liverpool are agressive with a huge pressure. It's less visible with Watford
Sorry, I meant following runs backwards. So they just break their defensive line and follow the striker all the way to the box based purely on the fact the attacker is running and ignoring all football logic.

I hadn’t realised how far away this game had truly gone away from football until I downloaded Fifa 19 on the PS5 and used these sliders: https://forums.operationsports.com/...s-fifa-19-professional-world-cup-sliders.html

Wow.

I then went back to Fifa 22. And I’ve put this here because Fifa 23 is obviously built on Fifa 22.

It’s night and day.

Like a lot of people here, I like to play with the latest teams. But having done this, there’s no turning back. Fifa 19 for all its faults is a game of football.

Hypermotion has obviously been designed to make animations quicker, that’s all, and therefore a whole lot more unrealistic. Add to that all the extra space for each player, this series is no longer a football game.
As I say, having (very) briefly spoken to a dev, and seen not only the comments on the feedback forum ("slow, PES-like dribbling" - if only), but the comments EA choose to respond to...

...it's very, very clear that they aren't interested in making a football game for us.

It's not their objective, it's not where the money is, and - most importantly - the Career Mode players who still play the game after the first week largely use Competitor Mode, buy Ronaldo when they're managing Leyton Orient, and don't have a problem with the gameplay.

There's been less and less football in every game from FIFA 16 onwards, because they found out that simplistic sells. I'll give FIFA 19 another go tonight based on this post, but I reckon I'll think 18 is better, and that 17 is better than that, and 16... Well, if the physics/animations weren't way too fast (in my opinion), I don't think I'd be on here whinging. I'd just be playing that forever and posting clips of every goal.

Sorry, I meant following runs backwards. So they just break their defensive line and follow the striker all the way to the box based purely on the fact the attacker is running and ignoring all football logic.
I'll give this a go for you tonight Anth (in about 9-10 hours) and report back.

EDIT, NOTE TO SELF: Also check to see if this is the same...

Last edited:
I saw players moving like fly, even less inertia than FIFA 22. Point.
I saw super speed pass even on Manual.

Look, it's been 20 years i watch vids of gameplay. I can tell what i like and what i don't without putting a finger on the controller.
It's different with the gamepad in hands, but what i see if what's doable, what's wrong, what's weird... No need to play for it.

Before even touching FIFA 22, i said "fuck, it's fast. And players move quickly". Then i played and it was even worste : fast-forward movement like Chris Davies called it, absolute absence of inertia when there's even inertia in Super Mario Bros 1.

I was right about what i saw was 90% of what i've saw and imagine to feel when i played : i just didn't saw the supra fly agile movement, and something i couldn't told was how hard and bad balanced it was to defend. I need to defend like a butcher in FIFA 22 vanilla...
I don't see change in the way of players defending on FIFA 23 at all, perhaps it's even more 1v1 so...

.. Well, if the physics/animations weren't way too fast (in my opinion)

I kinda hate Ignite, you don't feel weight. But i played a lot online on that game, and didn't liked PES 2016.

But i found it very overrated as for me all linked to physics and/or stats (for old PS2 era) are 60-70% to me.
My opinion too, but i scored too much goal so easily, outside the box etc. and i replayed it...

It's like PES 2013 : i can't play it any more than 2 games before getting bored and feels a repetitive stuffs because of the very poor physics.
One thing i don't have with PS2 PES or FIFA PS360...

So i play sometimes a bit of FIFA 14, and i got FIFA 08 and FIFA 11 on PS3. I don't know, but Ignite wasn't *to me" made for a football game at all. But they did a good job at the time. And on PS4-PC... I lost FIFA 17 by selling my PS4 for a PRO version (i liked that version), still got Fifa 18 but didn't retried it.
It's perhaps the only one i liked from that era. The rest was with or without.

Edit:

Fifa 16 is a good game objectively, well a bit more offensive oriented i mean less physical (FIFA 17 differently balanced, less easy to score/easier to defend physically), and it was more than playable at the time it was out. So to choose... Sad that FIFA 17 wasn't good and needs time to get debbuged or it would be probably the only one i could replay seriously.
There was years with and without, for both games, for everyone, matter of taste or interest / point of view from what area needs to be well done for the game to good.

To came back to FIFA 16 : even if the engine feelt streched in every sense to make it right, the game was overall interesting ("Streched" means like PES 2013 when you add stuff that the engine didn't support manually and you feel and see it. 2011 is the only one which everything seems to fits, also the last Seabass signing as main director)

Last edited:
Ah, i have never seen this😅. On nextgen? What a mess

Ah, i have never seen this😅. On nextgen? What a mess
Stand on the halfway line and send some players for runs. Watch the defenders just track the run all the way into the box. It’s what causes the gap. You can have lines as tight as you want, but when the defensive line can’t behave properly, it’s all for nothing. It happens on pes 2021 as well.

Did you try to fix extremly high defensive line with sliders? I can see that it's huge problem, at least in last two videos
The higher line shouldn't be too much of an issue if it behaved with a little more intelligence. They might sit high, but when the defenders just follow any run backwards then it creates space everywhere. That, combined with the fact there's no midfield pressure and it's a recipe for disaster. Argh.

The higher line shouldn't be too much of an issue if it behaved with a little more intelligence. They might sit high, but when the defenders just follow any run backwards then it creates space everywhere. That, combined with the fact there's no midfield pressure and it's a recipe for disaster. Argh.
This is some footage of FIFA 22. The game is a bit fast because I have the speed night bug.
Did you see your problem on this video?

Good lord this marvel collaboration looks as horrendous as it sounds. I know fifa has been on a significant decline in recent years but has the community really invested so much money just for EA to reduce franchise to this?

Just as drug dealers need to find new ways to fill the customer void created by ODs/prison, so do purveyors of gambling addiction in children.

I hadn’t realised how far away this game had truly gone away from football until I downloaded Fifa 19 on the PS5 and used these sliders
Yeah I think 19 was the last polished & simulative FIFA before it all resorts to the ugly, skaty blitzball we have to this day.

Time is an interesting entity. Back when 19 came out we were all scoffing about how its the same old shit, yet another reskin however in comparison to 22, it's actually pretty sophisticated.

Yeah I think 19 was the last polished & simulative FIFA before it all resorts to the ugly, skaty blitzball we have to this day.

Time is an interesting entity. Back when 19 came out we were all scoffing about how its the same old shit, yet another reskin however in comparison to 22, it's actually pretty sophisticated.

19 can certainly take credit for being the last one that tricked me into giving them money. I hated 18 and still do and 19 managed to feature the CL license, a whole new tactical system that looked interesting at the time & it even fixed the tiny ball found in 17 & 18. Compared to horse sounds & marvel superheroes it looked and sounded quite decent.

Personally I can't go back to 18 & 19, but obviously in retrospect both are miles better than anything that followed.

In 20 AI defending suddenly disappeared, and so obviously 20, 21, 22 are bottom of the barrel material and I would never waste any time trying to find out if one of them is worse or better than the other... Any game with no defending automatically joins them at the bottom of any list as far as I am concerned. Scoring or conceding goals while all players around twiddle their thumbs by design will never be "entertaining" for me.

Last edited:
A disturbing thought occurs...

With all this chat from EA about how they felt 'held back' but the Fifa licence. What if the Fifa licence was actually the one thing keeping them grounded from creating an even wackier version of this shit 'Night Fever' Football they've been degenerating towards?

A disturbing thought occurs...

With all this chat from EA about how they felt 'held back' but the Fifa licence. What if the Fifa licence was actually the one thing keeping them grounded from creating an even wackier version of this shit 'Night Fever' Football they've been degenerating towards?
Nah. Think of the "party games" they added last year, along with the "wacky" Volta outfits (astronaut suits etc.)... Plus, think of all the "kick-off rules" games, like the one with the flaming ball and the one where a player leaves the pitch every five minutes until there's only a few left.

It's wacky as fuck already. FIFA haven't restricted them in any way other than (reportedly) having to keep diving out of the game.

Back
Top Bottom