FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

Do you have any video ? Maybe it is your play style , I'm the same I still really enjoy 22 even default although I've set up formations . But I naturally play build up and don't naturally look for exploits and easy goals. Maybe it's why I don't see them
Can't take a video of the beta. but yes I also don't use exploits. I usually try to play the playstyle of the team I play and have a nice build up and all. I still want to win. I mean I had in 22 also games that were way to high scoring but in this beta for me the Player Based difficulty which apparently also boosts some defenders and World Class so far have been the sweetspot for nice matches.

Can't take a video of the beta. but yes I also don't use exploits. I usually try to play the playstyle of the team I play and have a nice build up and all. I still want to win. I mean I had in 22 also games that were way to high scoring but in this beta for me the Player Based difficulty which apparently also boosts some defenders and World Class so far have been the sweetspot for nice matches.
Question - did you play F22 Beta?
Coz you are more or less describing exactly what we had back then, before it was all flushed down the drain with patches.
Which, even if F23 Beta is an improvement over F22 - there is very little hope it will stay like this. Coz we have been there before many times.
Developers release a new game that has their vision of football --> FUT players say its too slow and shots and passes are not accurate ---> patch 1,2,3 ---> we have a completely different game where the initial vision is gone and forgotten.
Problem is - these changes affect the entire game, including our offline career modes, coz we cant choose the version we want to play (even offline)

Ps. And for those who dont remember - This is my post from Fifa forum when the game was released. It was titled:
"EA - please dont break this with patches"
Screenshot_20220812-205953_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

I'll say that it's great that it works for you and you enjoy it, there is no wrong way for anyone to play a game if they enjoy it! But I'm curious, if someone asked you, "is there a midfield in this game" what would your answer be?

After about 10 hours I can tell you honestly, even at the beta stage, I don’t know if this game is redeemable. The defending is the fucking worst I’ve ever seen on any football title, even on World Class level and marking set to 100. You can pick whether to dribble up the field unopposed (even with agile dribbling off) or pass up the field unopposed (on semi assist passing.)
AceleRate= Broken

The acceleration of the defense players is very slow, in fact there must be some error in the acceleration of the players.

Last edited:
Semi-interesting thing to add:
I actually remembered it wrong. I read my whole post from back then when I was cropping it to paste it above.
Post was about initial full release and I did say at the start - "Beta did not show much of a promise".
So they took the initial feedback on board and fixed all the issues. Vanilla release was a solid game. The sad thing is - everything was later on destroyed with patches.
So, basically, we are back to square one. Year, after year, after year.

Semi-interesting thing to add:
I actually remembered it wrong. I read my whole post from back then when I was cropping it to paste it above.
Post was about initial full release and I did say at the start - "Beta did not show much of a promise".
So they took the initial feedback on board and fixed all the issues. Vanilla release was a solid game. The sad thing is - everything was later on destroyed with patches.
So, basically, we are back to square one. Year, after year, after year.
To clarify - first 22 beta release was excellent IMO. The first and second updates removed a lot of the organic feeling, which was clearly a response to FUT complaints on the feedback forums that A) the AI still did too much (hard disagree) and B) the goalkeepers didn't save enough shots (possibly true, but to fix this they turned them into supermen).

Then, day one release... To my surprise, it was better again. Not as organic, because animations etc. had been tweaked and sped-up. But better. And then, the first update... Well. @Emroth and I went from playing together every free moment (we had a pen-and-paper Europa League going), to "what the hell is this, all teams feel the same and it's all 100mph 100% pass accuracy constant-skatey rubbish".

By the way, I saw this has been posted in the feedback forum, and I give up. Seriously, I've given up trying. I disagree with every element of this. But of course, the FUT players don't. Just a huge fucking LOL at the first sentence alone (toxic statement but I'm sorry, it's very clearly nonsense if we're comparing to the sport this game is supposed to represent - otherwise, don't call it a football game, seriously just make it Marvel Sports 2023).

DRIBBLING is so slow, the turn of the player is slow worst than last year. PASSING is bad, the power of the pass compared to last year is bad seems like the players have no more stamina to pass the ball, the pass goes slow seems like they have no power (when I try to press shoot,pass it takes the player so long to make the pass,shoot or even dribble).

PRESSING seems overpowered, the AI jumps out right away from the defence and we have no space to try and build up and especially when the gameplay feels slow is even more harder!

THE BUILD UP PLAY when I try and build from the back to attack my opponent is so slow, player movement,dribbling, passing all slow make it faster!

PLAYER RUNS seem weak again, the player sometimes there is space for him to explore and sometimes score a goal but he stays still, the AI needs to be more intelligent in the attacking phase.

1V1 DEFENDING is overpowered and the AI helps a lot, for example when the players goes to tackle and he fails the AI auto-corrects for him. Also the recovery time from the defender when he fails to tackle the ball is way too fast slow it down.

DROP BACK again same as last year overpowered and counter attack overpowered, if I try to play offensive I just face a park the bus team where the AI helps them defending and if per example they're team is open the AI immediately puts them in their right position and in park the bus and the COUNTER ATTACK aspect is for me is I'm over my opponent and still I can have more shots dominating the game but if he goes forward on the counter attack he always scores.

In short; "make it even faster", "make it even easier to score", "make defenders even more braindead so that it's even easier to score", "make attacking player runs better so that it's even easier to score", "stop letting my opponent stop me from scoring" and "stop letting my opponent score".

To clarify - first 22 beta release was excellent IMO. The first and second updates removed a lot of the organic feeling, which was clearly a response to FUT complaints on the feedback forums that A) the AI still did too much (hard disagree) and B) the goalkeepers didn't save enough shots (possibly true, but to fix this they turned them into supermen).

Then, day one release... To my surprise, it was better again. Not as organic, because animations etc. had been tweaked and sped-up. But better. And then, the first update... Well. @Emroth and I went from playing together every free moment (we had a pen-and-paper Europa League going), to "what the hell is this, all teams feel the same and it's all 100mph 100% pass accuracy constant-skatey rubbish".
Yes exactly. FIFA 22 bêta 1.0 was really great. FUT fans want to speeds up and make GK less stronger. FIFA 22 bêta 2.0 was quicker and bad.
I have my FIFA 22 bêta 1.00 movies and sometimes I watched 2 or 3 games. Damned it was brillant, with a PES feeling, hard to describe, organic.

FIFA 22 release : EA made some changes and (re)introduced long shoot for AI. Patch 1 kills everything of Hypermotion. Only team moves are a bit there.

That the story of FIFA 22, a game made for offline gamers but killed by FUT fans.
I will played FIFA 23 bêta tomorrow. I hope I will be a different story about the game. Maybe not...

Last edited:
By the way, I saw this has been posted in the feedback forum, and I give up. Seriously, I've given up trying. I disagree with every element of this. But of course, the FUT players don't. Just a huge fucking LOL at the first sentence alone (toxic statement but I'm sorry, it's very clearly nonsense if we're comparing to the sport this game is supposed to represent - otherwise, don't call it a football game, seriously just make it Marvel Sports 2023).

DRIBBLING is so slow, the turn of the player is slow worst than last year. PASSING is bad, the power of the pass compared to last year is bad seems like the players have no more stamina to pass the ball, the pass goes slow seems like they have no power (when I try to press shoot,pass it takes the player so long to make the pass,shoot or even dribble).

PRESSING seems overpowered, the AI jumps out right away from the defence and we have no space to try and build up and especially when the gameplay feels slow is even more harder!

THE BUILD UP PLAY when I try and build from the back to attack my opponent is so slow, player movement,dribbling, passing all slow make it faster!

PLAYER RUNS seem weak again, the player sometimes there is space for him to explore and sometimes score a goal but he stays still, the AI needs to be more intelligent in the attacking phase.

1V1 DEFENDING is overpowered and the AI helps a lot, for example when the players goes to tackle and he fails the AI auto-corrects for him. Also the recovery time from the defender when he fails to tackle the ball is way too fast slow it down.

DROP BACK again same as last year overpowered and counter attack overpowered, if I try to play offensive I just face a park the bus team where the AI helps them defending and if per example they're team is open the AI immediately puts them in their right position and in park the bus and the COUNTER ATTACK aspect is for me is I'm over my opponent and still I can have more shots dominating the game but if he goes forward on the counter attack he always scores.

In short; "make it even faster", "make it even easier to score", "make defenders even more braindead so that it's even easier to score", "make attacking player runs better so that it's even easier to score", "stop letting my opponent stop me from scoring" and "stop letting my opponent score".
I don't know how much easier they can make it. With default sliders on World Class, you're in for a nice 17-14 victory with 8-minute halves and the two Messi's they have in the squad can score a double hat-trick each.

I have a code. Played one game, 20 minute halves. Legendary.

God. That was pretty bad. And I say that while acknowledging that a lot has improved. The lack of anybody that doesn't have the ball (offensively or defensively) doing anything at all is so laughably frustrating I honestly started falling asleep during the game (also didn't sleep well last night, but besides the point).

Defenders so clearly part the red sea for goal scoring opportunities. I stopped the game in the second minute to make the following changes:

Marking 100/100
Line height 100/100
Width 42/42
Length 20/20

It helped a lot and it was still so bad. I actually think the footplanting, dribbling, touches, and animations are really improved. Which I expected. Still wasn't enough. The dribbling is PES-like in a way. But you can't enjoy with how bad defenders are. You can just waltz past people with ease. I felt like I was actively trying not to score on numerous occasions. I play on semi everything aside from manual through balls.

We need to make some real noise to get this to change, because this is simply unacceptable. Like always bells and whistles, check. Once the ball starts moving...

Edit: Also, strange occurrence. I had a player offside by maybe 3 yards, scored and it wasn't called. Watched the replay 5/6 times, clearly off. Not called. Possible early bug
Soooo....I don't know what happened, but this game almost did a full 180 on me.

Play now and the other game modes unlocked, so I tried a quick game.

20 minute halves, legendary, Barca vs Valencia:

-Edited both teams tactics to what I would last year.
-Game played ALOT closer to 22. In a good way. Game finished with 8 shots (CPU) 5 shots (me). 2-0. Lewandowski had two incredible goals. A low hard shot and a wonder chip. I actually yelled. I felt like a really achieved both goals. Instinctually tried to save both, then realized I couldnt
-Edited FT error to 100/100. Upped acceleration 52/52. Pass speed 40/40. Pass error 70/70. Maybe this did it?
-Maybe it's in the tactics? Maybe the slider adjustments, maybe the fact that I can play quick match rather than training center games. Whatever it was, that was MUCH more enjoyable. It was like I was playing on Amateur before, but so was my backline...Going to try a few more matches then report back...

This is working for me ok at the moment. Lower scoring games, more midfield and scrappier.

Sprint Speed 15/15
Acceleration 40/40
Shot Error 68/68
Pass Error 68/68
Shot Speed 50/50
Pass Speed 43/43
Injury Frequency 65/65
Injury Severity 25/25
Goalkeeper 45/45
Marking 70/70
Run Frequency 30/30
Line Height 52/52
Line Length 45/45
Line Width 55/55
Fullback Positioning 48/48
Power Bar 65
First Touch Error 95/95

Last edited:
Didn't know why EA even keep sliders in the game at all. If we change some slider we screw up other element of the game, not improving anything in reality. If core of the game is screwed we can't "fix" anything with sliders. I am sure anyone who buy fifa this year and plan to play offline is starting searching for sliders even now which is pointless...

Im with peace in my mind now, to 99%.
I keep on believing towards the “broken codes for years” story and can’t wait for a new contender or the game that comes after FIFA. 🤷‍♂️
23 won’t be a huge difference, if at all…
Pretty sure I’m gonna get that one anyway. And be it just for the vanilla. 😊

So, Hogwarts Legacy… Roll on! 😂

edit: maybe I just should put in the 16 disc like Marty said.
You guys have a great weekend! 👋

Vanilla to me was ultra fast-agile zero inertia / ball super fast. On slow.
Perhaps solid from some people vision but not from my "keep the physics acceptable" one.

It was just the agressive AI that keept me some game, otherwhise all was messed up. Sorry, don't want to contradict, but just my through.

If you mean solid for a Fifa, Yes the defense was a bit more effective. But nothing regarding fundamental was logic to me, which made a break.
I brough the 20 but couldn't play more than 10 games as it found that version too easy to create superhuman stuff. Scoring in the level above legend with Libertadores teams vs CPU even if i lost my way to defend then a bit more balanced with Legend.

So let's say 2.5 years without and a "try" with Fifa 20 (i sold FIFA 19 quickly to a Fifa lover neighbour as i didn't played at all : too focus on another game(s), i remember by far less how does it play than FIFA 20)

I play semi through. Not the same vision as you. I don't search freedom and completely understand that vision but mine is more stats impact in terms of precision and all.

Perhaps FIFA 22 was balanced on Vanilla, scores and all, we don't get the time to play enough to judge, but still very attack/defence oriented and inertia missing from all i remember from the beginning to the end. But not everything was fucked up in terms of logic, for that i suppose you're right.
Edit: i remember that keepers were super strong. I defended really bad at the start but he saved everything, and i could counter attack.

Last edited:
Terrible. I remember FIFA 22 looked bad on gameplay vids so i hesitated to buy it (took if from the feedbacks here, probably doomed by the novelty, no one responsible)
But nothing make sense in that vids. Assisted or not.
From a sport or any other game including human being on. Sad how it has become, no idea if it's hypermotion but players moving seems extra-terrestial

Well i'm done here. Back again to Retro...

It's worse than i expected. AI Leicester and Southampton plays like typical FUT guys- forward,forward,forward. I think i will stick with football manager 23 this year.

Vanilla to me was ultra fast-agile zero inertia / ball super fast. On slow.
Perhaps solid from some people vision but not from my "keep the physics acceptable" one.

It was just the agressive AI that keept me some game, otherwhise all was messed up. Sorry, don't want to contradict, but just my through.

If you mean solid for a Fifa, Yes the defense was a bit more effective. But nothing regarding fundamental was logic to me, which made a break.
I brough the 20 but couldn't play more than 10 games as it found that version too easy to create superhuman stuff. Scoring in the level above legend with Libertadores teams vs CPU even if i lost my way to defend then a bit more balanced with Legend.

So let's say 2.5 years without and a "try" with Fifa 20 (i sold FIFA 19 quickly to a Fifa lover neighbour as i didn't played at all : too focus on another game(s), i remember by far less how does it play than FIFA 20)

I play semi through. Not the same vision as you. I don't search freedom and completely understand that vision but mine is more stats impact in terms of precision and all.

Perhaps FIFA 22 was balanced on Vanilla, scores and all, we don't get the time to play enough to judge, but still very attack/defence oriented and inertia missing from all i remember from the beginning to the end. But not everything was fucked up in terms of logic, for that i suppose you're right.
Edit: i remember that keepers were super strong. I defended really bad at the start but he saved everything, and i could counter attack.
And if i tell you, i would not mind your way of achieving a more life like video game!?
I like stats to be playing a lager role, even better when in combination with fuma.

This looks disturbing.
What it looks like is what it is, and unfortunately our opinion doesn't mean anything. The loudest voices are the ones who want it to be even more extreme in this direction, and without making it a five a side game (on a full size pitch) and removing the goalkeepers, I don't know how much more extreme it can get.

One huge win with this game that I've been waiting for years since they introduced this broken tactics system...

You can edit the oppositions tactics and they actually stick. Tactics aren't hardcoded anymore. They also really do a lot and seem to really work this year.

I think the teams your seeing with no defending are on drop back with low line lengths. I've edited Valencia and Rayo so far to high lines and they've been honoring my adjustments. The most realistic defending style has been "press on heavy touch." The worst obviously being "drop back."

The tactics might be even more important than the difficulty level. Sliders are also working as intended.

Lastly, you HAVE to change your controller settings before every match, because they're not sticking. There's an acceleration controller setting in there that might explain why defenders don't accelerate right away. Once you change that setting to "off" I've had no problem with defending. It's either that, my tactics, or that I've upped acceleration to 51/51. Still testing...

No sliders are saving this, nor editing every team's tactics (and even if it did, there is so much else that's horrible with the game - from the skating to the freakish responsiveness to the twitchy players to the physics - that it wouldn't be worth it, to me). In my opinion, of course.

It's the fastest, most open, most "basketball" game of FIFA I've ever played, with the least AI (who are more traffic-coney than ever), and the most goals (3-4 before half-time is common).

This is why. Legendary difficulty, Competitor Mode off (because it makes the AI spam dragbacks, tricks, flicks and ping-pong passing with all players):

fUXpWBu.png

Here I am in my own defensive third, FACING THE GOALKEEPER - when there should be no danger to the opposition whatsoever - I have six open pass targets.

Think #4 is behind two CMs? Guess what. My pass is bullet-fast, laser-accurate and requires no ball-trapping whatsoever, so it flies right between them (as they stand and stare). On semi-passing. He hits a through-ball to #5 and it's a one-on-one. Goal.

It's just that, back and forth, until you can't take any more, in my experience (and thankfully, others have already said the same in their feedback, but EA didn't care last year and I don't know why they'd care now).

On top of that, it's crazy-fast (and "slow" speed feels identical to me), feels completely unnatural, and... Somehow, the fundamentals are even worse.

In a nutshell; everything that we could already see in the trailers (that they were perfectly happy to release).

Damned i have played some games. Only high scores, Chris was right.

GK made saves, but in one game Athetico Madrid shoot 36 Times with a final score of 0-6 for AI! I never seen that in a game!

Marseille VS Lille : 0-7 on FUMA 8 minutes and WC, insane.

I don't know if it's a night bug but I'm afraid.
No fault too, I have many on FIFA 22.

Inertia is there and very good, animations are greats, but AI is overshited and scores top much😵‍💫

After a good night, i have made two matches : Inter vs AC Milan.
The feeling was différent. It was a real hard match. Tonali, Giroud and Tomori were incrédule, hard top defend.
But now I have understand nos to do.
Referee was on very strick, I have changed thé sliders, on vanilla, there is no milfield, it's a box to box game like said Chris.
Even with sliders, AI want to shoot from everywhere on the fidèle. I don't if it's a bug but having 26 shoots it's to high!
I won this derby with a nice header from Varela 2-1 with a golden goal.

Welcome to Portugal with Lisbonne Vs FC Porto.
5-6 faults from CPU, and not random one in the middle by a striker.
GK were really great, many physical battles on corner. I lost 0-1 with a golden goal
A very different game from Yesterday.
I will play more this afternoon

Last edited:
I honestly think EA should just start releasing a standalone "simulation" mode in FIFA / EAFC that has completely different gameplay and is designed to be more realistic than the base game. This would let them keep the FUT kids happy with basketball gameplay while still offering a simulation experience to those who want it.

They have the capacity to do this. They pretty much section of part of the dev team each year to build standalone modes (such as VOLTA, women's football, the Alex Hunter stuff). Surely one year they can give us a simulation mode?

I honestly think EA should just start releasing a standalone "simulation" mode in FIFA / EAFC that has completely different gameplay and is designed to be more realistic than the base game. This would let them keep the FUT kids happy with basketball gameplay while still offering a simulation experience to those who want it.

They have the capacity to do this. They pretty much section of part of the dev team each year to build standalone modes (such as VOLTA, women's football, the Alex Hunter stuff). Surely one year they can give us a simulation mode?
I don't think anybody, especially EA, will refuse this when Sir. Wenger himself spoke about this.

Back
Top Bottom