FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

I see it a bit different. For me Fifa has always been the Arcade, Highlights driven version of football. PES always more the rainy Sunday game with a draw in the end while Fifa for me at least always was by cycle kicks andway more goals. At least I remember in Fifa 99 for example winning matches high and scoring spectacular goals just for fun. I actually think they have improved but I never expect Fifa to be a complete realistic simulation. This is what PES was. And I think the frustration of PES Player swhho.lost that, is now driven at players of a game which never really was a sim to begin with. I do understand the frustration that people who want a complete simulation, feel they.don't have that now. But to me it still feels strange taking that frustration out on other players and also think the culprit is way more Konami who gave up the sim part, then the game which in its history never really was a Sim. I also remember goals from the middle of the pitch in 09 for exame. So Fifa always has been more the shiny highlights instead of the simulation.

I suppose I'll repeat myself. A game can not be fun for everyone without the right options which is 100% EA's fault but you'd rather blame the users.

You just can't get away with a sports game with no fucking AI because that's what the "pros" want for their e-sport and then serve that to everyone else on all your offline modes. It's madness. But apparently the users are to blame.

So yeah, the stupid competitive scene has ruined football games.

You do realize that you say "you'd rather blame the users" which by the way I don't do and actually agree there should be different slider settings or Sim or arcade settings, but then you blame a group of users in this case the competitive scene.

I never said the users are to blame, what I say is: it is not the right approach to blame and attack each other, it would be way better if all groups demand for example different settings in Fifa. I guess that won't happen and it will still be both sides blaming each other, but that is exactly what I am critiqueing.

Maybe because if language barrier I am not expressing myself right. But I am not saying it is the users fault how the game is. All I am saying is that all sides should stop.attacking and blaming each other and focus the energy on feedback and working together.

I see it a bit different. For me Fifa has always been the Arcade, Highlights driven version of football. PES always more the rainy Sunday game with a draw in the end while Fifa for me at least always was by cycle kicks andway more goals. At least I remember in Fifa 99 for example winning matches high and scoring spectacular goals just for fun. I actually think they have improved but I never expect Fifa to be a complete realistic simulation. This is what PES was. And I think the frustration of PES Player swhho.lost that, is now driven at players of a game which never really was a sim to begin with. I do understand the frustration that people who want a complete simulation, feel they.don't have that now. But to me it still feels strange taking that frustration out on other players and also think the culprit is way more Konami who gave up the sim part, then the game which in its history never really was a Sim. I also remember goals from the middle of the pitch in 09 for exame. So Fifa always has been more the shiny highlights instead of the simulation.

I think it's more your impression honestly. From Ps3 era onwards to just a bunch of years ago the focus was as "simulative" as Pes, possibly in some editions even more so. Heck I remember in those years the idea was complete opposite, that Fifa was becoming the simulation with the rise of full manual, realistic animations and tighter games and Pes the "lighter" one.

You do realize that you say "I blame the users" which by the way I don't do and actually agree there should be different slider settings or Sim or arcade settings, but then you blame a group of users in this case the competitive scene.

Jesus. Once more: No one would give a fuck or say anything about the competitive scene if there was different gameplay.

There is not. WE ARE PLAYING THE GAME MEANT FOR THEM. Therefore I will say that the competitive scene is a fucking joke that no one takes seriously. I wouldn't be happier to not mention them ever. They design the game we play with their suggestions so yes they are to blame for the gameplay, or take credit if you love it.

Who demanded no defensive AI? Please answer that. The competitive scene.

Therefore they are to blame for this gameplay. It makes sense, no?

Jesus. Once more: No one would give a fuck or say anything about the competitive scene if there was different gameplay.

There is not. WE ARE PLAYING THE GAME MEANT FOR THEM. Therefore I will say that the competitive scene is a fucking joke that no one takes seriously. I wouldn't be happier to not mention them ever. They design the game we play with their suggestions.
And still there is no reason to blame them. You are missing my point.

The problem is there are no different settings. But that is not the competitive scene or casual users fault etc. So antagonising them does really bring nothing. Saying it is you guys fault or you guys are not football fans might help you vent but it literally changes nothing. They are having fun and as much as you deserve to have fun with a football game, the same goes for them, so you shouldn't blame them for that this is fun for them

The problem is not having different settings and for that it would be way better if the whole football gaming community would get a little bit of their high horses on both sides and instead starts working together more and says: hey EA we as FUT players want settings for the SIM fans and hey EA we as Sim fans want that FUT players still have their settings. The end goal should be that whatever you fancy you will find it as gameplay options in the game.

I have a code. Played one game, 20 minute halves. Legendary.

God. That was pretty bad. And I say that while acknowledging that a lot has improved. The lack of anybody that doesn't have the ball (offensively or defensively) doing anything at all is so laughably frustrating I honestly started falling asleep during the game (also didn't sleep well last night, but besides the point).

Defenders so clearly part the red sea for goal scoring opportunities. I stopped the game in the second minute to make the following changes:

Marking 100/100
Line height 100/100
Width 42/42
Length 20/20

It helped a lot and it was still so bad. I actually think the footplanting, dribbling, touches, and animations are really improved. Which I expected. Still wasn't enough. The dribbling is PES-like in a way. But you can't enjoy with how bad defenders are. You can just waltz past people with ease. I felt like I was actively trying not to score on numerous occasions. I play on semi everything aside from manual through balls.

We need to make some real noise to get this to change, because this is simply unacceptable. Like always bells and whistles, check. Once the ball starts moving...

Edit: Also, strange occurrence. I had a player offside by maybe 3 yards, scored and it wasn't called. Watched the replay 5/6 times, clearly off. Not called. Possible early bug

Last edited:
And still there is no reason to blame them. You are missing my point.

The problem is there are no different settings. But that is not the competitive scene or casual users fault etc. So antagonising them does really bring nothing.

Yes, I think I've said a million times that it's EAs fault.

But I have no idea why you obsess when someone blames them for the gameplay. This gameplay is the result of their feedback. I don't care if saying that "brings nothing" because like I said it's on EA to do something, not them. I don't have to convince the "pros" that EA needs more offline options. They don't care.

So you see I blame them for the gameplay and we're all blaming each other, and you're blaming us for blaming each other when <drumroll> it's EA to blame! This will continue until the end of time until there's different gameplay.

Last edited:
Yes, I think I've said a million times that it's EAs fault.

But I have no idea why you obsess when someone blames them for the gameplay. This gameplay is the result of their feedback. I don't care if saying that "brings nothing" because like I said it's on EA to do something, not them. I don't have to convince the "pros" that EA needs more offline options. They don't care.
It is not obsessing. I just think it is sad that something that should be fun which football gaming is and which should be something everyone shares now has lead to name calling in both sides, blame game and attacks.

I saw it in this thread what happened when I mentioned I like the ideas for Player Career Mode. I never said they shouldn't improve gameplay or anything and still everything was there from not being a "football fan" to why don't you play Sims etc. I do understand the frustrations but again what does letting your frustrations lose on a user who enjoys the idea for player career mode achieve?

And that is what I mean. Why attack a user if he enjoys the game or parts of it. I think a lot of the communication is way too much in extremes.

I am here like others to talk football games and what I like and don't like about them since this is a part of what I enjoy about football games. But I do think it would help a lot of discussions and also feedback if it wouldn't go into extremes.

I think it's more your impression honestly. From Ps3 era onwards to just a bunch of years ago the focus was as "simulative" as Pes, possibly in some editions even more so. Heck I remember in those years the idea was complete opposite, that Fifa was becoming the simulation with the rise of full manual, realistic animations and tighter games and Pes the "lighter" one.
Well said. Prior to the 1v1 feature of FIFA 20, the base positioning/behaviour on fifa was far more realistic than the rigid, wide open space, 1 dimensional Fox engine PES of the same time period. It’s a misconception that in all gameplay ways fifa was always pure arcade.

We just want options to have a functional, challenging offline experience and that’s all. They have 8 million on and off toggles now, how about just giving us a couple. As I’ve said a number of times before, call it ‘ASSISTED DEFENDING’ if they need to and just let us have it!

It is not obsessing. I just think it is sad that something that should be fun which football gaming is and which should be something everyone shares now has lead to name calling in both sides, blame game and attacks.

It is a sad thing that will probably never end until EA -I hope we're finally in agreement that it's on them- do something. Also like I said when a group of people basically design the gameplay for you, and they're just users like you, they will get criticism. What I mean is that they don't get my criticism because we are in a simple disagreement. They get it because they are practically responsible for the gameplay. At this point are they really just fellow users? EA basically design the gameplay based on what they say!

And that is what I mean. Why attack a user if he enjoys the game or parts of it. I think a lot of the communication is way too much in extremes.

Yeah this is another matter though, I don't think anyone should attack anyone for enjoying the game or parts of the game. (or for hating the same things, works both ways).

I shared these regarding early access 21 v 16 to see how 1v1 negatively impacts the game. Based on what I’ve seen of 23 gameplay, it’s looking disgustingly bad and similar (if not worse) to the unplayable 21.

When you see how it should be done right next to it, it really stands out even more..

2132179B39-051D-462D-842A-1775D3F42F1D.jpeg
4CDD35B3-0D37-4843-A041-95C76146BEB1.jpeg

Video comparison:

Which is exactly what I meant. You have two sides shouting at each other. One extreme side shouting "you guys ruined everything and are not football fans" and the other shouting "you and your realism, this is not fun".
This is, probably, your first post which I can take as an actual discussion and respond in serious manner.

The difference between "us" (offline/career mode players) and FUT crowd is that we dont want the whole game to change to make us happy.
Let them have their rainbow flicks and missile shots - we do not care how they play.
What we dont want is to have FUT features affecting our career mode.
We dont want special boosts, sharpness, timed shots, arcade dribbling. We just want to have AN OPTION to go to our dark, lonely corner and play a fair and challenging match against the AI.
Not ending with 8:3, or 9:4... we want to feel rewarded when we score a goal. We dont mind 0:0. Quite often - scoreless result can be more thrilling than 8:3.
What EA doesnt seems to understand is that a lot of people just want to play a football match.
And even with that - I know there might be people who also want these features in their career mode. And thats fine. Just give us a god damn option.
You will say - there are options to switch it all off. And maybe there are. But it honestly doesnt make much of a difference. Sliders dont work. Slowest match speed still plays like ping pong.
Errors are almost non existent. AI aggressiveness- non existent. Core gameplay is rotten and no settings can fix it.

Split the gameplay. Dont let your patches to dumb down AI affect our career mode. We need AI. Without AI there is no football. Its 11v11 sport, not 1v1.

People in here really dont expect miracles. We just want a decent football game with settings that actually work.

And dont give me this "Fifa was never a sim". Neither was PES. It was a fun mix of arcade/sim, where sim was mainly driven by AI and attributes.
And FIFA also had that. It even had option to choose Arcade or Sim in the past.
From 2010 onwards, for a few years - FIFA was actually closer to SIM than PES was.
FIFA 14 and 16 are still considered one of the best football games (ironically - crowned "most boring ones" by FUT players)

Thats why we will never ever get a good football game. Because EA can get into their heads that you cant please everyone with one gameplay. That online and offline and two vastly different worlds with vastly different expectations.

And until the gameplay is split and there are two separate teams working on offline and online gameplay - we will always end up clashing.

Sadly looks like the same old stuff to me. The core of Fifa is something I don’t think I’ll ever get to love. There would need to be a fundamental change at its core. This last year was the least I’ve ever played a footy game. I’ve only got it because it was free on PS plus.

There’s so many issues I can see in 23 already that would drive me round the bend. I can see that ball still feels completely disconnected from the players. It’s like the ball moves because of the input rather than the input causing an interaction from the player with ball, leaving a disconnected experience. Also Foden, 6 yards out with a free shot, doing the dad dance at a wedding instead. Mental.

I think what I loved from other games in the past is that it would reward you for great vision and your learned finesse for timing your input along with the longevity of your press etc. so maybe even a difficult pass would mostly come off if you had the skill, leaving with a sense of satisfaction. Fifa is the opposite, it has a pre designed logic built into its fundamental system and has already ordained which passes are poor or good on a consistent basis, leaving the feeling that you can’t affect the game with skill but only play within a pre existing framework. Yet you can soullessly smash them in from 25 yards without much thought or dribble with it, bouncing the ball off opponents tackles until it falls into the path of another attacker or back to the dribbler, who then does a Super Mario Striker flick to finish it off.

There’s plenty of the younger generation that know their “football” but I think it’s a case of the Jam “ the public wants what the public gets “ and I’ve now reached the age of “ they don’t make them like they used too”.

Hoping it will come one day when there’s a game again that offer that satisfaction and challenge.

After about 10 hours I can tell you honestly, even at the beta stage, I don’t know if this game is redeemable. The defending is the fucking worst I’ve ever seen on any football title, even on World Class level and marking set to 100. You can pick whether to dribble up the field unopposed (even with agile dribbling off) or pass up the field unopposed (on semi assist passing.)

Got the Beta code. On my XboxX,

I have been playing modded Pes2021 for the past 6 months. Went back to Fifa 22 on XBOXX from beginning August. To get ready for FIFA23 and to see the differences.

The fact that I'm saying the best thing about FIFA 23 is the geometrical goal nets and degrading pitch should say it all.

These games don’t change at all. Gameplay is almost identical to 22. Some new animations and a futuristic graphic overlay when hitting a hard shot. That’s all. There is no AI improvement. Or any meaningful gameplay innovation.

I’m told there is a new dribbling mechanic. I don’t see it. If anyone can tell me how to utilize it?

I saw in a trailer that the one on on defending side improved. I don’t see how. You can’t get close to any player to even jockey him. Or maybe I can’t defend.

When you accept the new training tutorial. Even during normal marches. It gives you hints that pop up. So I ran to a player to cover him and ran past him. Then a block popped up saying. “Don’t ran so much when defending” But how do you get close to a player then?!?

The players weight and the weight of the ball felt nice. But it did in the FIFA22 beta also. Before final release.

I can only play Career mode and the new training right now Nothing else. Nice touch that we can choose real managers from any League to manage our team.

New corners, PK’s and free kicks are interesting. You choose where to kick the ball. You can chip a corner in. If you put the curser right under the ball. Chip corners look very cool. I must say.

I didn’t miss a penalty. If you time it right you can’t miss. I don’t think direction plays any factor now. Just timing of when you press shoot.

Ummm. I don’t know what else to say right now. I need to play more. But I don’t see dramatic differences yet. And only playing career mode is stifling me. I like to play a lot of friendlies when getting a new game to try get a feel of things.

one last thing. I love nets. Loved them since football kingdom. So I must give the credit where it’s due. The nets in this game are amazing. Players run into the nets. They actually touch the nets in the right places for collisions and fall and stumble. It was so realistic to see. EA do some things amazingly well.

It’s a mess from what I’ve seen. An unbearable, disgusting mess! And I actually got some enjoyment from 22 NG. They had some building blocks there to bring it back to life, but from the clips I’ve seen, they’ve gone backwards. Very far backwards.

I can’t see a way back this year at this point. So disappointing.

I’ve been playing with extreme settings on the sliders to see exactly how much difference they’re making in this game.

So far, this has created less frequent attacks while forcing the midfield to get more involved. It’s amazing how much of a knock-on effect 100 for first touch error has on a lot of things. They need tweaking (probably a lot) but I wanted to try and tackle the biggest problem first, giving defensive players a leg up by increasing the number of bad touches, loose balls and bad passes by the offense.

(Xbox Series X, World Class, Slow, All FUMA except semi for passing and crossing, Agile Dribbling off)

FIFA 23 SLIDERS
Sprint Speed 20/20
Acceleration 45/45
Shot Error 75/75
Pass Error 75/75
Shot Speed 50/50
Pass Speed 40/40
Injury Frequency 50/50
Injury Severity 50/50
Goalkeeper 100/100
Marking 100/100
Run Frequency 30/30
Line Height 50/50
Line Length 50/50
Line Width 50/50
Fullback Positioning 50/50
Power Bar 55
First Touch Error 100/100

Last edited:
I’ve been playing with extreme settings on the sliders to see exactly how much difference they’re making in this game.

So far, this has created less frequent attacks while forcing the midfield to get more involved. It’s amazing how much of a knock-on effect 100 for first touch error has on a lot of things. They need tweaking (probably a lot) but I wanted to try and tackle the biggest problem first, giving defensive players a leg up by increasing the number of bad touches, loose balls and bad passes by the offense.

(Xbox Series X, World Class, Slow, All FUMA except semi for passing and crossing, Agile Dribbling off)

FIFA 23 SLIDERS
Sprint Speed 15/15
Acceleration 45/45
Shot Error 75/75
Pass Error 75/75
Shot Speed 50/50
Pass Speed 40/40
Injury Frequency 50/50
Injury Severity 50/50
Goalkeeper 100/100
Marking 100/100
Run Frequency 30/30
Line Height 50/50
Line Length 50/50
Line Width 50/50
Fullback Positioning 50/50
Power Bar 55
First Touch Error 100/100
Are you finding sliders aren’t as impactful as they used to be? I found that on 22 NG, especially certain values. Height for example.

Attackers seem to be dictating the defensive line even worse in 23, and it was one of the biggest issues of 22 as well. To create a gap, you just send a player on a run and the whole line will just drop off for you. Argh argh argh.

Are you finding sliders aren’t as impactful as they used to be? I found that on 22 NG, especially certain values. Height for example.

Attackers seem to be dictating the defensive line even worse in 23, and it was one of the biggest issues of 22 as well. To create a gap, you just send a player on a run and the whole line will just drop off for you. Argh argh argh.
Yep, exactly mate, it seems you can’t see a minimal difference even in jumps of 5 sometimes on the slider hence having to go to extremes on everything to make big changes.

I do have some hope in that the time we have for feedback for the beta is decent and there’s going to be a lot of it.

I have found this vidéo : United vs City
It looks decent. Not marvellous but playable

What do you think?

I think it looks terrible. Just watch the feet. They don't look connected to the ground in any way. And that's not a mistake by EA, it's baked in by design. It looks like 22 players all doing Michael Jackson dance routines.

This is why it's so insulting for EA to sound the trumpets about their new technological advances. Ha ha ha!

I think it looks terrible. Just watch the feet. They don't look connected to the ground in any way. And that's not a mistake by EA, it's baked in by design. It looks like 22 players all doing Michael Jackson dance routines.

This is why it's so insulting for EA to sound the trumpets about their new technological advances. Ha ha ha!
From reading the comments it's last gen gameplay so hopefully it's better on next gen gameplay. Same warm up, walkout graphics etc disappointing though.

I'm not going to get into the gubbins of it because it's a beta version, but I'm loving the ferocity of the tackles and the sheer bully boy tactics of the AI. I had 9 free kicks awarded and had the shit kicked out of me, that to me is good football, I'm British and I do love a good old battle. But obviously, this will be toned down which is a shame. If they are going to put hospital visits into the story then let's see some blood and broken bones, please. I don't want to see an injured player running off the field. But so far I'm loving it.

I have found this vidéo : United vs City
It looks decent. Not marvellous but playable

What do you think?
I liked the keeper saves at the end and advantage given to AI during the last counter attack.
KDB going through 2 defenders for the first goal looked sneaky. 👍 Still AI is way to hectic in passing and turning.
Looks a tad better than 22 though, imo.

Back
Top Bottom