FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

Seeing as there's no FIFA demo any more (as they can't be monetised like the "game trials" can), I think it's only fair to warn people that if they have similar feelings to me about the things that make FIFA 22 genuinely - and I sincerely mean it - unplayable (i.e. the 1v1 gameplay focus being so extreme that playing against the AI is like playing against nine traffic cones who don't understand what their job on the pitch is)... Well, prepare for FIFA 23 to be even more extreme in those areas.

Those who have no problem with standard-length games on Legendary difficulty ending with 10+ goals due to the complete and total absence of resistance from the AI midfield/defence will have no issue - and who don't care that the new "recommended" half length for offline play is just three minutes (so I'm not really sure why you'd add "playable highlights", other than to absolutely 100% guarantee that you'll skip all elements other than scoring goals), as well as injuries and bookings being off by default (because those things are just boring and detract from the fun of scoring goals at will)... Well, you'll have absolutely bags of fun winning 9-3 against the AI.

However, I strongly suspect the game wasn't made for offline play at all, and offline play has simply become a "trainer" to get people ready to play online. I'm not saying that to be a dick; I'm saying that because you can literally run from box to box with a defender on Legendary and not be stopped. Those who said we shouldn't worry because the trailers were on a low difficulty, despite players standing still and watching as you run past them on the highest difficulties of FIFA 22...

...I can only say, watch the following, and try to understand that this comes from a place of deep upset that the one football game in town that has any offline modes, plays like a 100 yard dash from box to box on repeat with nothing in-between. It is, to be sincere, upsetting.

The run where the defender runs the entire length of the pitch looks like the infamous "green zone" bug from PES something, except that was only at a particular place of the pitch (outside the opponents box on the wings) and remarkably, Konami fixed it eventually. Fifa 2022 already has a problem where defenders have little interest in stopping you but this seems like that x10 and on legendary as well 😐

Nice! Coz who gives a fuck about fundamentals of the sport that the game is supposed to represent! :LOL:
Fouls? Boring.
Injuries? Not my cup of tea!
Tactics? Meh.
Defence? Booooooring!
AI? How dare they!

Mortal Kombat combo moves and missile shots! Now thats what Im talking about! If they only added flaming balls and ability to break and burn the net!
Now that would be some next gen!
Hey M,
your comment opened my eyes… and it all makes sense now.

fundamentals, got it?! It’s only fun (for) da mentals! 😂 …guess that’s what EA is thinking. 🤷‍♂️

Thing is - they usually release Beta which is remotely close to football to attract people. Then comes patch 1, patch 2 and all the glimpses of hope are gone.
Injuries, fouls, whatever you might see as part of football - is gone. And all that's left are glitching and twitching light speed counter attacks.

Judging by what Chris says - there is even less hope of anything positive this year, as last years BETA gave us plenty of hope. F22 was actually a decent football game at the start. If F23 Beta seems to be worse than patched F22 - there is nothing to talk about really.

We were all deceived with promises that gameplay will eventually be split between offline and online and that simply will not be the case. Why? Coz its something that wont make any money for EA.
Id like to see one of their meetings where they bring those new brilliant ideas for Career Mode, that literally no one ever asked for.
Reading a book? Visiting a player in a hospital? Who is this game even designed for? Coz its sure as fuck not for anybody who is a football fan.

Any improvements to commentary? Absolutely disgusting by EA to remove Tyler/Smith without even acknowledging it after all the years Martin Tyler put into Fifa.

At the very least they could have acknowledged his "retirement" from the game, clearly a case of EA being cheap and thinking that FUT casuals don't care about commentary anyway they just listen to their shite music while practising the latest obnoxious arcady skill moves that have nothing to do with football.

Any improvements to commentary? Absolutely disgusting by EA to remove Tyler/Smith without even acknowledging it after all the years Martin Tyler put into Fifa.

At the very least they could have acknowledged his "retirement" from the game, clearly a case of EA being cheap and thinking that FUT casuals don't care about commentary anyway they just listen to their shite music while practising the latest obnoxious arcady skill moves that have nothing to do with football.
Stewart's commentary = A robot talks about football by reading the Wikipedia page
Derek's commentary = Yeah, he is there to accompany Mr. Stewart and Mr. Dixon

But the commentary's longevity (in terms of different lines, dialogues, words, sentences {you name it}) are always bigger than PES' commentaries. But Peter Drury is better, deal with it. :D

Well guess then I am not a football fan since I like the career mode ideas. Thanks for deciding for me if I am a football fan.

As usual the career mode "additions" are the most shallow, lazy, minimal effort possible, we've been crying out for proper additions to career mode for years and years, always ignored.

Where are the U23 teams? Huge part of modern football today. Why are English league 2 teams still playing pre-season tournaments in foreign countries, you claim to be a football fan, tell me the last time a League 2 team played a pre-season tournament in a foreign country?

Why is deadline day still the useless 10 hour slots where half the time it takes 4 hours to get a response on an offer for a player?

Reading a book? Visiting a player in a hospital? Who is this game even designed for? Coz its sure as fuck not for anybody who is a football fan.
They can add as much of that stuff as they like and I wouldn't ever moan about it again (I promise, EA, if you're out there :D) if I could just play offline games where your AI and the opponent AI worked as a team - NOT 1v1 only, which simply doesn't represent the sport (I get it for online, but not for offline when it breaks the game like it does in my opinion) - to stop you getting through on goal so easily.

It's so obvious when the AI just jogs on the spot next to you that they're not the designated 1v1 player, so you're "free to go". Which isn't realistic, or fun, it's just frustrating that the game "isn't trying". It's very genuinely a broken game as far as I can see (for offline purposes), and the guys I know with the 23 beta have come back to me to say "I can't stop running from box to box now like you pointed out".

They fix that (not a "quick fix" like making the AI try to break your legs with every tackle to reintroduce fouls, as happened a few FIFA 22 patches ago, but actually giving all players their AI back), and I can love the game. It's really just that. I could moan about the skating (which is very much still there) and limbs ghosting through solid objects (same), but it doesn't compare to the 1v1 issue. That simply destroys offline play irrevocably, not just in my opinion but also the likes of Matt10 of Operation Sports, and everyone I've spoken to personally who is playing the 23 beta.

Stewart's commentary = A robot talks about football by reading the Wikipedia page
Derek's commentary = Yeah, he is there to accompany Mr. Stewart and Mr. Dixon

But the commentary's longevity (in terms of different lines, dialogues, words, sentences {you name it}) are always bigger than PES' commentaries. But Peter Drury is better, deal with it. :D

Stewart Robson is the worst co-commentator in the history of the sport, terribly negative. Can only assume EA signed him up really cheaply.

So just the one commentary team still then? That sucks :(

As usual the career mode "additions" are the most shallow, lazy, minimal effort possible, we've been crying out for proper additions to career mode for years and years, always ignored.

Where are the U23 teams? Huge part of modern football today. Why are English league 2 teams still playing pre-season tournaments in foreign countries, you claim to be a football fan, tell me the last time a League 2 team played a pre-season tournament in a foreign country?

Why is deadline day still the useless 10 hour slots where half the time it takes 4 hours to get a response on an offer for a player?
And here is my point: I want a better Youth Academy and so on too. But I also like the idea of a player career with RPG elements.

What I think is a wrong attitude is constantly attacking people who like something as not footballfans etc. In the end we alle ant improvements but I don't think that antagonising each other is any help. Like I said: to get changes you will need the casual players on board. You won't achieve that by being elitists.

It's not terrible by any means and some things are definitely better but the same old problems exist in gameplay. Finally looks next-gen though throughout the game though on the Series X. Going to experiment with some sliders today.

Like I said: to get changes you will need the casual players on board. You won't achieve that by being elitists.

To my mind casual players = FUT players = gambling addicted children, the mode isn't aimed at adult gamers, the sad thing is the focus of FUT has trickled down into all other modes and filled them with its shallow, arcade stench. It's not about being elitist, it's about a lot of us being gamers for decades, buying and playing Fifa for decades (my first Fifa was Fifa International Soccer in 1993), we're the ones buying Fifa year in, year out before the cancerous FUT even existed and now we're ignored and treated with contempt. That's not us being elitist, strange response for you to have.

Didnt you watch the trailers?! 😉
new lines were added!

Didnt you watch the trailers?! 😉
new lines were added!

No I've decided I won't be watching any trailers or gameplay footage, won't read any previews/reviews etc. Doesn't seem much point, they'll churn out what FUT players want and stick two fingers up to everyone else! I have EA Play Pro so I'll try it then.

Would have been nice to try the beta but why would they send a beta code to someone who's been playing Fifa for 25 years! ;)

Like I said: to get changes you will need the casual players on board. You won't achieve that by being elitists.
I see your point but I would argue that casual players dictate the game for all players at the moment, and that what people like me (and those replying to my earlier messages/tweet) are asking for isn't the demand that casual players have to play "our" game - but rather that they keep the gameplay they like, and offline players at least have a choice of getting rid of the extreme 1v1 focus (which removes so much of the potential football experience) and giving AI-controlled players on both sides the ability to take actions for themselves, in order to halt your progression up the field, like FIFA did up until FIFA 20 or so.

I understand that a lot of posts are toxic, particularly today - but I can't help but see and feel the frustration that it comes from. It's no excuse, but you can't expect being ignored for all this time and seeing casual gamers get more and more toys to play with (with an enhanced focused on attacking play, removing whole elements of football e.g. fouls, midfield battles, finding the right pass rather than all passes providing a route to goal, stern defences to outfox) to not cause some anger. Especially not when features like "Playable Highlights" aren't just more features for the casual player, but offer concrete evidence of the type of gamer that the game is now exclusively being made for.

For myself and many others (no, I don't speak for everyone, but I speak for many people from Evo-Web and a lot who have agreed with my tweets regarding the 1v1 focus), the offline game is (without exaggeration) unplayable due to these issues, which only came into force to make FUT "more fun" (removing "AI defending").

If I buy a £100m defender on FIFA 22 (or from the looks of it, 23), even if he positions himself slightly more intelligently, unless I am in direct control of him he will just watch the ball carrier run straight past him and score. So as an offline player, is there really any point in me buying better players? The benefit is so slight.

Older games (which I don't want to hark back to, but I have to) didn't suffer with this issue. The focus on the casual gamer robbed us of this approach, and I fear it will never come back because this feedback falls on deaf ears and has for the last 6+ years, no matter how nicely we say it, or otherwise. That doesn't excuse toxic behaviour, but again, some understanding (on both sides of the table) would go a long way, surely.

To my mind casual players = FUT players = gambling addicted children, the mode isn't aimed at adult gamers, the sad thing is the focus of FUT has trickled down into all other modes and filled them with its shallow, arcade stench. It's not about being elitist, it's about a lot of us being gamers for decades, buying and playing Fifa for decades (my first Fifa was Fifa International Soccer in 1993), we're the ones buying Fifa year in, year out before the cancerous FUT even existed and now we're ignored and treated with contempt. That's not us being elitist, strange response for you to have.
Well I would call myself a casual gamer. Been buying Fifa since the 90s. But apparently not a football fan since I like the RPG part of player career

and that what people like me (and those replying to my earlier messages/tweet) are asking for isn't the demand that casual players have to play "our" game - but rather that they keep the gameplay they like, and offline players at least have a choice

Which most would support. We are speaking of a player base of over 10 million players. But do you think they still support it if all the time they are being called gamblers, not football fans etc. Why should they support your cause then?

You don't believe FUT is creating a generation of gambling addicted children then?
No I honestly don't.
But that is a different discussion and not even my point. My point is: calling people "not Football fans, not real Football gamers etc" won't help changing the game. Give me one example how this will change the game to what you like?

No I've decided I won't be watching any trailers or gameplay footage, won't read any previews/reviews etc. Doesn't seem much point, they'll churn out what FUT players want and stick two fingers up to everyone else! I have EA Play Pro so I'll try it then.

Would have been nice to try the beta but why would they send a beta code to someone who's been playing Fifa for 25 years! ;)
All good mate. Afair, it was one sentence during one of the trailers were they said that.

No I honestly don't.

You don't?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-53337020
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...bling-french-lawsuit-ea-video-game-card-packs
https://www.eurogamer.net/link-between-loot-boxes-and-problem-gambling-robustly-verified

New research has "robustly verified" a link between loot boxes and problem gambling.

Researchers at the universities of Plymouth and Wolverhampton said loot boxes "are structurally and psychologically akin to gambling".

It also found that large numbers of children are opening loot boxes.

Maybe you should read some of those articles, the evidence that it's happening is blindingly obvious.

But that is a different discussion and not even my point.

You mentioned gambling so thought it was something you were concerned about...

---

https://www.thegamer.com/fifa-21-ultimate-team-packs-gambling/

The response from the UK’s National Health Service is even bleaker. In January 2020, the NHS sounded the alarm on loot boxes, with mental health director Claire Murdoch saying they are “setting kids up for addiction.” I wanted to see if they felt anything had been done since then.

“The number of problem gamblers who are 16 and younger in the UK has quadrupled in the last few years. We’re up to 55,000 now,” RSPH’s Aaron Mansfield explains. “90 percent of young people play games on a regular basis, [and] we found that this could be a possible portal to gambling [...] Consciously, loot boxes are set up in a way that problem gamblers are attracted to them.”

Which most would support. We are speaking of a player base of over 10 million players. But do you think they still support it if all the time they are being called gamblers, not football fans etc. Why should they support your cause then?
If we need FUT players to come to our rescue and support our request for more realistic gameplay (teamplay-based and not 1v1-locked offline), does that not show who has the power in this scenario, and does that not go to show that FUT (and the money that these players invest, which accounts for roughly 75% of FIFA's profits according to the last EA general meeting where these figures were discussed) is all that really matters (and will ever matter) to EA and - by necessity, as their employers - the devs that create the game?

I agree that name-calling doesn't help anyone but I'm finding your point here a difficult one to swallow. If anything it just backs up the point that FUT and the demands of FUT players will always be the focus, and anyone looking for something else from FIFA will be out of luck for the rest of time, but we might get some scraps (like a new gameplay slider maybe?) if we ask nicely enough, one day.

Christ, if offline gameplay was monetised, I'd pour in as much money as any FUT player and I wouldn't have a complaint - if I could buy every realistic element separately to turn on/off, I would. But I don't have that option. I have to go along with what the casual gamer wants. But our frustration at this situation is seen as toxicity, without anybody listening to us.

(I was part of the FIFA 22 beta and hundreds of people "liked" and responded to my video feedback showing how open the midfield and defence was, including FUT players. So I might not represent everyone, but I'm not exactly on my own with these desires. Yet here we are with the issue even further exacerbated... I think I am entitled to feel aggrieved, and to warn those who agreed with me that we have been ignored again.)

My point is: calling people "not Football fans, not real Football gamers etc" won't help changing the game. Give me one example how this will change the game to what you like?

I doubt they would even be offended by that as I could quote them (I won't waste time searching though) saying they don't want a real football game or some variation of that statement.

Personally I think this is now a game for people who hate football.

And no, me saying that won't change the game. But it also won't change if I don't say it or if I just continue buying and playing this garbage. And we don't even want to change or ruin the game for them and I sure don't want to convince them about anything. I want an option that can turn it into a football game for people who want one. This option does not exist.

You've mentioned a game that can be enjoyed by many different people before. That's impossible without the right options. It's never going to be "let's try to convince this many millions that the game should be done our way".

That is the real madness, a perfect recipe for toxicity and why we're here.

Last edited:
Imagine pitching your tent on a forum built off the very best football games ever created to defend the FUT freakshow.

FUT has ruined football games. To idolise a bunch of FUT players who are able to dance through a defence by doing stupid skill moves actually makes you look a bit strange. Do you want to become their mascot? Maybe they can put you on a lead and you can beg them to teach you how to do the latest rainbow flick combos?

FIFA sucks because the developers are financially focused and prey on children who steal their parent's credit cards to buy GP.

I really don't know who to blame anymore for the fact that we don't have one football game that looks like a football game.

I'm tired of blaming EA. They're laughing all the way to the bank.

I now want to blame all the other gaming companies for not stepping into an obvious gap in the market.

I do admire Big Ant as a company. Even though they don't have the budget to make big games, their cricket and tennis games do a great job of trying to represent those sports.

Maybe I'm simply unlucky, but I swear that every, single interaction I saw or had on Twitter or any other form of social media/comment section with a FUT player was like.. talking with a wall of bricks. Like they just won't listen, game must be fast, game must be filled wih goals, CPU must be stupid and so on and so forth. You'll be laughed at or even just dismissed as nonsensical if you try to explain there is people wanting a football game that represents the sport. I think it was @Chris Davies ?, who once a guy on twitter said to, "Ooh it's you guys, it's you people's fault the game is slow".. something along those lines.

Yeah I don't think there is any dialogue or support or compromise of any sort to have with them.

totally agree ,FUT is to blame for football games not looking and playing like football anymore.
If you enjoy this, fine.
But it hasn't looked like football or played like football in a long time.
This is horrible (the clip on twitter from @Chris Davies ) looks absolutely garbage.
So glad I haven't bought FIFA in a few years (20) and sure as hell won't buy this crap either.

I think it was @Chris Davies ?, who once a guy on twitter said to, "Ooh it's you guys, it's you people's fault the game is slow".. something along those lines.
I'll leave it to @Flipper the Priest to wheel out his favourite response I got when trying to positively engage with the FUT players on Twitter (which is the only way I would talk to someone).

Back
Top Bottom