FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

I think we need a lot more random goals. Something like this by Reims.
Also better cross, and more headers but yo have proper air duel with defenders.

I did see a few people mention it at reveal. That free kick system was pretty notorious, and not for being good! A similar system was also in Football Kingdom and I'm sure another game around that time, maybe even earlier.
Happy to see it back tbh. As long as it works. I kind of got the idea of the 22 system, but it was perhaps a bit too random. Hopefully this will allow players to do what they want, but it's not PES levels of easy

Just watched that matchday experience trailer. Wow.

I know the game's not made for 36 year-old me, but when I see things like that I wonder: who is it for? What data does EA have that screams 'horse noises'? Indeed, 5:46 to 6:02 is horrifying, a snippet of how bad the game moves on the field and how absurd the features are becoming.

If the (again, not new) features of pitch wear and tear and pre-match build-up are worth singing about in 2022 we're in trouble. Don't get me wrong, they are nice things to have but the cut scenes will get old, fast.

I think it's fascinating the effort they'll go to get a few wows from young 'uns and brown-nosers, when the game will undoubtedly be released with major glitches as per the last few years.

FIFA 2003 had the free kicks, many FIFAs the pre-match scenes, 98 the referee strictness. Yet none of them had flying players. Sweet, sweet progress.

What in God's name are they doing.

Even Clubs is all about the individuals now, not the team... and it's presented like the end of an Apex Legends game. God it's frustrating to see them making FIFA clone as many other games as they can, no matter the genre, without evolving their own. Next you'll be able to drive between matches and run over all the opposition fans.

Even Clubs is all about the individuals now, not the team...
Any time I played Clubs, it was already about individuals. That was maybe 3-4 years ago, and I still remember people showing off their skills repertoire, whilst trying to imitate Messi or R9 running through the defence. At least I was the king of the set piece, until they changed it

What in God's name are they doing.

Even Clubs is all about the individuals now, not the team... and it's presented like the end of an Apex Legends game. God it's frustrating to see them making FIFA clone as many other games as they can, no matter the genre, without evolving their own. Next you'll be able to drive between matches and run over all the opposition fans.
Again let me give a counterpoint to this. I mean I know you like to be negative about everything on Fifa, but for me depending on the stats this can be a good thing. One problem that occured in Pro clubs was people just using skill moves even as defenders and trying to be the most spectacular. If you now have "most interceptions", "best tackle" and so on it could lead to people playing their position better. And that would definitely help the overall team performance.

Again let me give a counterpoint to this. I mean I know you like to be negative about everything on Fifa, but for me depending on the stats this can be a good thing. One problem that occured in Pro clubs was people just using skill moves even as defenders and trying to be the most spectacular. If you now have "most interceptions", "best tackle" and so on it could lead to people playing their position better. And that would definitely help the overall team performance.

What you're saying is that having more stats will make the game somehow more realistic? I have no idea how that would work. Ultimately the game can only be played the way it's designed to be played. People play matches to win them not to get realistic looking stat screens after the match. Now if a group of 10 people get together and decide to play it as if it's real football with house rules, maybe. But it's never going to be played that way just because there are more stat screens.

More likely, the stats will just expose the game for what it is. I mean in this particular screenshot the Striker won "top tackler", "most interceptions" & "top passer", and the "Aerial battle winner" was the RCM.

Last edited:
What you're saying is that having more stats will make the game somehow more realistic? I have no idea how that would work. Ultimately the game can only be played the way it's designed to be played. If a group of 10 people get together and decide to play it as if it's real football with house rules, maybe it will look better, but it's never going to be played that way just because there are more stat screens. People will use all the exploits & meta in order to win, not restrain themselves to get better stats.

More likely, the stats will just expose the game for what it is. I mean in this particular screenshot the Striker won "top tackler", "most interceptions" & "top passer", and the "Aerial battle winner" was the RCM.
I didn't say it WILL make it more realistic, I said it COULD. It still depends on the people playing, but if I as a defender can get rewards or recognition for my tackles and so on, then yes I personally am more inclined to play my position well. Will you have players who want to win all the stats? Yes. But does it open up recognition for playing your position well? Also yes. It always will depend on players in the end, but not every feature is black and white like some try to paint them.

It is the same with playable highlights. Some want to only see the negative about it, while others see it as Quality of Life improvement to play career mode, for people with not much time. I think sometimes it is important to look at features from more than one angle. Which doesn't mean not to critique, but to also remember that not every person who plays football games expects the same.

Last edited:
This look like maybe last FIFA to at least somehow (with sliders, and slow difficulty, and full manual) looks like game we call football.

I would guess next one (whatever its called) will be more like Call of Duty or something.

We already lost PES which is card game now

If I as a defender can get rewards or recognition for my tackles and so on, then yes I personally am more inclined to play my position well.

Playing your position well depends on how the game is balanced is my point. If tackles are not balanced correctly vs dribbling, maybe tackling is not playing your position well. You'll tackle if it's an effective mechanic in the right situation, not because there's a stat for it. In any case the game is the game & the stats can only reflect the action, not dictate it.

It is the same with playable highlights. Some want to only see the negative about it, while others see it as Quality of Life improvement to play career mode, for people with not much time.

I don't mind playable highlights or any option I'm not forced to use. Only thing I do mind is the complete lack of options when it comes to turning this basketball game into a football one. As it stands, I actually agree with you, skipping playing full matches in CM, is a huge QoL improvement.

Last edited:
Some want to only see the negative about it, while others see it as Quality of Life improvement to play career mode, for people with not much time.
No, we don't WANT to see the negative. It just IS negative to us, and we explain why there is nothing in this game for us (which is clearer with each passing trailer). When there's a feature all about the realism, that isn't just repeating the world "realism" over the top of a video that doesn't look realistic, I won't see the negative.

You're welcome to your counterpoints, but you're just as right in your positivity as I am in watching a football game become less about football (and more about features you can find in Call of Duty right now).

And as for making a football game for "people with not much time"... It's another feature, alongside this end-of-game awards screen and the "horse neighing goal sound", which just shows who they're focusing on - if you can't see the focus being dragged away from football fans and towards mobile gamers and, frankly, children with lots of pocket money for FUT, then I personally don't think you're seeing the bigger picture and you're being unrealistically optimistic. There's tons of new features for that audience, and nothing for "us". But you're entitled to your opinion.

I've bought every FIFA for years on end, and I was excited for the first proper "next-gen" football game (and "Hypermotion") last year. Now, I feel like a total sucker, and I truly think 22 is an absolutely garbage football game (because the fundamentals are poor, and they're clearly poor again).

It's the only football game in town now that eFootball is all about their version of FUT - and I fear EAFC will be too - but I hope I can resist throwing my money at EA this time.

No, we don't WANT to see the negative. It just IS negative to us, and we explain why there is nothing in this game for us (which is clearer with each passing trailer). When there's a feature all about the realism, that isn't just repeating the world "realism" over the top of a video that doesn't look realistic, I won't see the negative.

You're welcome to your counterpoint and I won't challenge it, but you're just as right in your positivity as I am in watching a football game become less about football (and more about features you can find in Call of Duty right now) all the time.

And as for making a football game for "people with not much time"... It's another feature, alongside this end-of-game awards screen and the "horse neighing goal sound", which just shows who they're focusing on - if you can't see the focus being dragged away from football fans and towards mobile gamers and, frankly, children with lots of pocket money for FUT, then I personally don't think you're seeing the bigger picture and you're being unrealistically optimistic. There's tons of new features for that audience, and nothing for "us". But you're entitled to your opinion.
Nothing for "us: I am a passionate football and football gamer. Own basically every football game back to the SNES days, even Japanese imports like J-League Excite Stage.
So no it is not "us" It is nothing for you. Don't try to speak for every football fan and football gaming fan.

And yes for me, someone with family and co, who still loves football and football games, the feature is something, so I am an audience for it. To me this gatekeeping is the same problem as the gatekeeping of some FUT players. In the middle is the normal football and football gaming fan, who wants to have fun. Somehow I sometimes feel this is more and more forgotten and you only have extremes in both sides.

Nothing for "us: I am a passionate football and football gamer. Own basically every football game back to the SNES days, even Japanese imports.
So no it is not "us" It is nothing for you. Don't try to speak for every football fan and football gaming fan.

And yes for me, someone with family and co, who still loves football and football games, the feature is something, so I am an audience for it.
Maybe that's where the confusion lies; by "us" I'm referring to football fans who've been on Evo-Web since the days of the PS1 games and every year ask where the realism has gone, and why the casual gamer has to ruin everything approaching a "sim" that exists. (The answer, of course, is FUT revenue.)

I'm not including you in that "us" because you're clearly happy with where it's going. That's fair enough. But try to see, please, it's not negativity for negativity's sake. It's bad news for "us" with every trailer. I try to explain why, so that it's not seen as baseless, but it's like you're not interested in trying to see "our" point of view.

Maybe that's where the confusion lies; by "us" I'm referring to football fans who've been on Evo-Web since the days of the PS1 games and every year ask where the realism has gone, and why the casual gamer has to ruin everything approaching a "sim" that exists. (The answer, of course, is FUT revenue.)

I'm not including you in that "us" because you're clearly happy with where it's going. That's fair enough. But try to see, please, it's not negativity for negativity's sake. It's bad news for "us" with every trailer.
I didn't say i am happy with where it is going. I for example want better scouting and youth system in Career mode. What I am saying is: sometimes maybe, try to think about that there can be more reasosn for a feature or even different audiences. Maybe a feature you think is just for the FUT audience is for someone with Kids and less time, who is a football fan and loves football games. Just try to see less Black and White and more the middle on some things. That is my feedback.

Because these players might be the ones who also want more features in career mode and in this way could be on your side if you don't push them away.

The trailers and the gameplay showed are pretty rough, imo. I remember playing older FIFA games with more depth and care for football. I can't say anything about the ambiance and atmosphere because I think they really nailed that part but everything else is a copy/paste from the previous years. They keep recycling features for the trailers like someone mentioned (player marks staying on the grass), that shows the target audience for this game, that probably weren't even born to remember those trailers. This is not for the football enthusiastic, this is for the younger audience to spend money to get 7 cards of the same player in some online mode. No football fan asked for horse noises, dumb celebrations and legends with stats based on YouTube highlights videos. Just my opinion but to each their own.

P.s: players still skate around the pitch.

Last edited:
I didn't say i am happy with where it is going. I for example want better scouting and youth system in Career mode. What I am saying is: sometimes maybe, try to think about that there can be more reasosn for a feature or even different audiences. Maybe a feature you think is just for the FUT audience is for someone with Kids and less time, who is a football fan and loves football games. Just try to see less Black and White and more the middle on some things. That is my feedback.

Because these players might be the ones who also want more features in career mode and in this way could be on your side if you don't push them away.
I don’t want to come across like rude or bashing you…!! That’s not my intention.
When you love football and the football games (I guess you know the rules and basics), are you seeing the fundamental flaws here!? The ones that are with us for years?!

To me it’s a bit like a racing game but the cars wheels don’t spin… that’s basic, fundamental. When I steer to the left, the car moves like a tank or a go kart, but not like a race car… just 2 examples. 🤷‍♂️

If a tennis game played like table tennis (animations, speed, scores) I would not be happy. If a golf game like the Tiger Woods series for example would play like Everybody’s Golf , I would not be happy.

i hope you get me here. And it’s not that you are wrong with enjoying the game for what you like it for. It’s just my opinion, that football (the real game) is less and less represented/replicated accurately these days. The fundamentals again…

Last edited:
I don’t want to come across like rude or bashing you…!! That’s not my intention.
When you love football and the football games, are you seeing the fundamental flaws here!? The ones that are with us for years?!

To me it’s a bit like a racing game but the cars wheels don’t spin… that’s basic, fundamental. When I steer to the left, the car moves like a tank or a go kart, but not like a race car… just 2 examples. 🤷‍♂️

If a tennis game played like table tennis (animations, speed, scores) I would not be happy. If a golf game like the Tiger Woods series for example would play like Everybody’s Golf , I would not be happy.

i hope you get me here. And it’s not that you are wrong with enjoying the game for what you like it for. It’s just my opinion, that football (the real game) is less and less represented/replicated accurately these days. The fundamentals again…
I wish for improvements in gameplay, yes. But most trailers usually are done by marketing teams who use cheats or low level difficulties to have more spectacular action on screen. That is why I will wait with gameplay judgement until I get my hands on it. Also usually with sliders by the Operation Sports community there is enough to enjoy the game for me, while there are still flaws. During the week I have time for only a couple of matches in career mode and for that it is fine for me.

Just for me in general in football communities too much is black and white in opinions. I somehow miss the middle ground.

To give you an example: I hope gameplay has improvements I don't know yet. I am disappointed that there is no improvements to scouting and youth academy in Career Mode, but at the same time Player Career has more RPG elements that are interesting to me and I like the playable highlights since I finally might be able to play more seasons and develop my team further. So for me there is good and bad. But not just good or just bad.

And I feel that sometimes when people are passionate about football games they can become very one sided on it and in my opinion it doesn't always help the case. Because then it becomes: "real football fans want this and not this..." where you start speaking for people who might be real football fans but actually have a more diverse view on it and then get annoyed that you try to speak for them. In the end I for example want a football game that everyone can enjoy from the purists, to the casual players to the Ultimate Team fans. But yes I try to see also the positives, because not every feature announced is just one sided and I think sometimes it helps trying to see things from a different view.

I wish for improvements in gameplay, yes. But most trailers usually are done by marketing teams who use cheats or low level difficulties to have more spectacular action on screen. That is why I will wait with gameplay judgement until I get my hands on it. Also usually with sliders by the Operation Sports community there is enough to enjoy the game for me, while there are still flaws. During the week I have time for only a couple of matches in career mode and for that it is fine for me.

Just for me in general in football communities too much is black and white in opinions. I somehow miss the middle ground.

To give you an example: I hope gameplay has improvements I don't know yet. I am disappointed that there is no improvements to scouting and youth academy in Career Mode, but at the same time Player Career has more RPG elements that are interesting to me and I like the playable highlights since I finally might be able to play more seasons and develop my team further. So for me there is good and bad. But not just good or just bad.

And I feel that sometimes when people are passionate about football games they can become very one sided on it and in my opinion it doesn't always help the case. Because then it becomes: "real football fans want this and not this..." where you start speaking for people who might be real football fans but actually have a more diverse view on it and then get annoyed that you try to speak for them. In the end I for example want a football game that everyone can enjoy from the purists, to the casual players to the Ultimate Team fans. But yes I try to see also the positives, because not every feature announced is just one sided and I think sometimes it helps trying to see things from a different view.
10 hour trail demo can’t come soon enough, so we can get our hands on it!
but then again… the live updates and such… ^^

Before I am interested in or talking about features (again), I want to see the gameplay fixed/getting more towards the real thing!
If the bike ain’t rolling straight, I’m not interested in fancy side mirrors!

yes, the debate can get difficult if we start saying stuff like “you are not a fan of the sport if you don’t…”! That’s why I was a bit cautious when I wrote to you about “when you are a football fan…”. I don’t want to stomp on anyones feet; the same time I can’t think of football fans not seeing the flaws. 🤷‍♂️ It’s so obvious to me, so wrong to a degree.
But hey, when I watch football on tv with friends at home, we do watch it differently and I don’t mind. For example, a friend of mine is only following the ball or nearby players as I watch the whole field, how players move without the ball, how they prepare runs and such. When there is a foul, I’m most of the time screaming the (believed) appropriate ref action int the room, before the foul is even done. 😂 followed by some facts to underline my opinion. my friend just watches the scene and waits for the ref to act.
i cant say he’s not a real football fan… we are just different kind of “real“ football fans. 😊

man, this is the stuff for hour long personal debates (beverages in hands). 😂

fifa 22 already has a similar post-match stat-look for the man of the match. 23 is just letting a few more players get that same spotlight for different/specific accomplisments.

and the best pes games allowed you to put cat and dog heads on your players. that didnt stop those games from being amazing.

theres a lot wrong with fifa but i feel like people who don't like the game will carry that attitude into the fairly inconsequential features of the game and make them seem a bigger problem/road-to-destruction for the game than they are.

also i just want to say, i agree with a lot of criticisms fifa gets. but i also have so much fun playing pro clubs in this game. i feel like pro clubs mode outweighs so many of fifas problems and i wish others who are down on the game could experience the joy i have with this game many nights

if pro clubs wasn't in fifa then i wouldn't buy the game at all. At least not anymore (I feel like 1v1 modes became poorer to play ever since Fifa 17/Frostbite)

and why the casual gamer has to ruin everything approaching a "sim" that exists.

This is by the way an example of what I mean. Anatagonising the casual gamer is the wrong approach since if you want to have a more sim like experience you have to get him on board.
And there are a lot of casual gamers out there who for sure would welcome other changes to career mode or would have no problem with different gameplay settings (sim, arcade etc).

So I think sentences like: it is the fault of the casual gamer, lead nowhere. We are football fans and football gaming fans and yes that also includes casual and FUT gamers. So if you want changes it needs to be one community instead of a split. Because in the end all want the same: a football game they can enjoy.

While I do understand the frustration that you don't have the football game you wish for, I still think it is the wrong approach.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom