FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

The really low defensive lines concern me. It's fairly consistent in these trailers now. No idea what purpose that serves, especially the FUT squad who hate that look - and the chance of their shots being blocked too realistically.

It must be to create lots of opportunity to "run at the defence" from the middle third, so the fut players feel like empowered heroes, like their masculinity has been truly embellished.

My hearts sinks at seeing deep lines, especially when they back off. Not just because its nothing like real life and opens out the midfield but...

Not being able to actually play around and behind the back line massively reduces the number of ways your attacking moves can play out. Theres no drawing defenders out, there's no meaningful hitting the byline, theres no real give and goes... in fifa, the teammate AI is never that strong, but a deep defensive line even further reduces the variety in teammate runs.

I wonder it the broken camera sliders are still going to be released this way. That's another one. How on earth is it not possible to simply customize the angles properly and why do they keep releasing the game with sliders that dont have any effect on the cameras. God.

Yeah :| With the technology available in 2022 they could simply make some photo realistic textures with high resolution like the kind of work @endo does with PES. But they don't do any of that because it all needs to fit the cartoon aesthetic of the whole package they have.

Yep. You can just imagine how boring they'd consider a realistic palette, how it might render their target audience a flight-risk.

I dont necessarily mind a more cartoonish style, to some extent. But do it with some sense of style, with feeling, with artistry...I'm thinking the old ps2 ISS games that looked like the world cups in Mexico and argentina.

These fifa saturated palettes just look badly done.
And for some reason, fifa south American pitches often look so drained of colour they're practically sepia.

I dont necessarily mind a more cartoonish style, to some extent. But do it with some sense of style, with feeling, with artistry...I'm thinking the old ps2 ISS games that looked like the world cups in Mexico and argentina.
Absolutely. This lack of sense of artistry is exactly what is missing from the game. The old pes and ISS games were mostly made with raw geometrical blocks but you could feel right away that they put some love into it, probably because the artists involved knew football and it's atmosphere to that extent.

With these recent FIFA games you can clearly see that the designers don't give a damn about this sport, they have all the resources but they don't know how to paint the picture with authenticity. I'm just so gutted with the current state of this....

That trailer is pretty much a banger, up until they ruin it with "post goal sound effects":DOH:Also looks like they are really leaning into the pitch slide thing, some of the tackles and slides seem on the long side

Just seen the trailer, wow, it's reminding me of the Michael Owen helicopter advert.

EA said that "you will able to see slide marks on the pitch", funny that, I remember watching the FIFA 15 trailers, and one feature was "being able to see slide marks on the pitch.

Also, "Pre-match hype Videos" is a "new" feature. I remember playing FIFA 07 on PS2 and there being little pre-match action scenes before the game.

It's nice that EA are trying to recycle.

As for the "goal horns", it's very lighthearted, a real rarity these days in a simulation game like FIFA, reminds me a cheat code with a specific button sequence back in the PS1 days. Of course EA won't add in the ability to import our own audio, and I can see the horse neigh being a real wind-up on Ultimate Team.

Just seen the trailer, wow, it's reminding me of the Michael Owen helicopter advert.

EA said that "you will able to see slide marks on the pitch", funny that, I remember watching the FIFA 15 trailers, and one feature was "being able to see slide marks on the pitch.

Also, "Pre-match hype Videos" is a "new" feature. I remember playing FIFA 07 on PS2 and there being little pre-match action scenes before the game.

It's nice that EA are trying to recycle.

As for the "goal horns", it's very lighthearted, a real rarity these days in a simulation game like FIFA, reminds me a cheat code with a specific button sequence back in the PS1 days. Of course EA won't add in the ability to import our own audio, and I can see the horse neigh being a real wind-up on Ultimate Team.
It reminds me of when you could import chants in PES for a bit, I downloaded a chant pack and when I played as Liverpool it was just constant "F*ck off Chelsea FC, you ain't got no history" no matter what team I was playing against. It was still pretty good!

It's the first major presentation revamp since FIFA 15 really, Frostbite wasn't really anything innovative & was more detrimental to the fundamentals of the game if anything FIFA 22 had nice hair physics and a squishy ball but this is the first major authenticity overhaul in many many years.

But is too bad the sliding and skating is as grotesque as ever before and they don't even try to hide it in that trailer.

Absolutely. This lack of sense of artistry is exactly what is missing from the game. The old pes and ISS games were mostly made with raw geometrical blocks but you could feel right away that they put some love into it, probably because the artists involved knew football and it's atmosphere to that extent.

With these recent FIFA games you can clearly see that the designers don't give a damn about this sport, they have all the resources but they don't know how to paint the picture with authenticity. I'm just so gutted with the current state of this....
I want to add, for me it’s like with the movies. There will be no new and better Goonies. The mind behind creating stuff, be it video games or movies, in this example, is differently these days. The approach is different.
And it seems to me, there isn’t much space for processes with love or art or sense… it’s just a money grab.

:CONFUSE:

Liverpool's famously deep back-line there...

Whatever else you see in this game that's good, I mean... Jesus Christ, man, how does that not ruin it all (alongside other things). That's disgusting. Human vs human as well, no "it's obviously on a low difficulty level" bullshit.

It's good that plenty of people are noticing, but will it mean anything if it's not the FUT streamers complaining about it? Of course not.

Whatever else you see in this game that's good, I mean... Jesus Christ, man, how does that not ruin it all (alongside other things). That's disgusting. Human vs human as well, no "it's obviously on a low difficulty level" bullshit.

It's good that plenty of people are noticing, but will it mean anything if it's not the FUT streamers complaining about it? Of course not.
Laughable. Embarrassing.

As a liverpool fan, our high line gives me palpitations. And fifa offer this.

I wish klopp, pep lijnders, trent, just somebody from liverpool, or any club would just publically laugh at this nonsense. Almost embarrass EA into changing it.

But I fear it's all a little cosy...

😂

Producer

I also noticed I wasn’t feeling as crowded in the box by the computer opponents. When I ask about this, Rivera attributes it to smarter AI. “With the position changes that we’re doing this year – they weren’t even mentioned in the presentation – we are making the defensive positioning a bit wider and we are creating a lot more runs in the box, because it was too crowded,” he says. “Also, we are reducing the amount of offside runs.”

What will HyperMotion2 bring to online play?

Part of the reason EA Sports invested so much in the new technology was so that players would be encouraged to continue playing the game longer after release.

When asking Rivera about this he confirmed:

“That's the goal. We’re planning to achieve [longevity] with the gameplay live team that we created for 22.

“So now we have dedicated people just looking at gameplay balance all year round.

“And that, combined with the features that we're introducing this year in HyperMotion2, is what we're thinking will cause a more refreshed experience where it's not just the same meta.”

About Lighting

2.PNG

Literally every positive change is for nothing if they can't get the defensive line position and behaviour right. It has such a big impact on gameplay. Argh!!!

😂

Producer

I also noticed I wasn’t feeling as crowded in the box by the computer opponents. When I ask about this, Rivera attributes it to smarter AI. “With the position changes that we’re doing this year – they weren’t even mentioned in the presentation – we are making the defensive positioning a bit wider and we are creating a lot more runs in the box, because it was too crowded,” he says. “Also, we are reducing the amount of offside runs.”

What will HyperMotion2 bring to online play?

Part of the reason EA Sports invested so much in the new technology was so that players would be encouraged to continue playing the game longer after release.

When asking Rivera about this he confirmed:

“That's the goal. We’re planning to achieve [longevity] with the gameplay live team that we created for 22.

“So now we have dedicated people just looking at gameplay balance all year round.

“And that, combined with the features that we're introducing this year in HyperMotion2, is what we're thinking will cause a more refreshed experience where it's not just the same meta.”

About Lighting

View attachment 172148
In regards to lighting...it's better but they could do so much better if they wanted. If I can do this on FIFA 16 in an hour or so with reshade, then surely our expectations should be higher.

3.png
2.jpg

1.png

I have the impression the FUT guys think that the d-line dropping so deep is something like parking the bus that makes attacking difficult ("I like it, you can have 5 goalies now! My defense will be rock solid", "defensive AI is far to potent") while the offline guys talk about the black hole between the lines which makes attacking easier as you'll easily pass there and there will be like 6 attackers vs 4 defenders (no mid will bother coming back).

Have I mentioned today that FUT is stupid and the FUT guys morons? I know it's not a nice thing to say about another group of people and I consciously try to avoid saying it a lot of times, but this is not one those times... they are just so fucking stupid!

There's just no other word to describe someone who sees these pictures and comments "I can't be arsed to face a wall of 10 players every time I want to attack. Gaming should be fun", not realizing this is all about scoring dumb goals.

(Also the difficulty level doesn't change positioning? Positioning is good or bad across all levels, it's just that the AI moves out of the way on something like beginner difficulty... And if you're not an octopus to control 8 players, on legendary probably too. lol.)

Last edited:
I have the impression the FUT guys think that the d-line dropping so deep is something like parking the bus that makes attacking difficult ("I like it, you can have 5 goalies now! My defense will be rock solid", "defensive AI is far to potent") while the offline guys talk about the black hole between the lines which makes attacking easier as you'll easily pass there and be like 6 attackers vs 4 defenders (cause no mid will bother coming back).

Have I mentioned today that FUT is stupid and the FUT guys morons? I know it's not a nice thing to say about another group of people and I consciously try to avoid saying it a lot of times, but this is not one those times... they are just so fucking stupid!

(Also the difficulty level doesn't change positioning? Positioning is good or crap across all levels, it's just that the AI moves out of the way on something like beginner difficulty... And if you're not an octopus to control 8 players, on legendary probably too. lol.)
Spot on.

Ultimately it’s pretty much a losing battle now, as getting good AI in a game where the developers are actually trying to have good AI is still a difficult task. We’re in situation where the developers aren’t even TRYING to get a smart AI, they’re actively trying to dumb it down. Honestly what hope do we really have :(

Good Morning Everyone !!!

I have been send a lot imagens for the developers, it looks like FIFA from the final version will be present in the beta.

They are having no peace with me this year, but I don't know if I will make it, I'm trying, but I feel alone.
You know we appreciate you and know how tricky it can be to navigate through criticism and feedback, mate. Keep up the great work - but definitely don't let them off the hook!

If they listen to feedback and reduce the gap between the lines and the defenders don't drop that much back & the midfield line is closer then the game will just be back to fifa 22 NG.

Will we get the same old crap, or the new even worse crap? Exciting times for football games! Would you buy 22 twice in a row? I think I would skip it twice. :LMAO:

I need to get it off my chest as I've seen nobody mention it anywhere. The free kick system is basically a modern day version of what they had in Fifa 2003 & 2004. I guess everyone who plays football games now were born post-2005. As for defensive line, I'll be using sliders again, so I'll see if that does anything. Good to see them defend though. As it's mental how many times you end up 1v1 against the keeper

I need to get it off my chest as I've seen nobody mention it anywhere. The free kick system is basically a modern day version of what they had in Fifa 2003 & 2004. I guess everyone who plays football games now were born post-2005. As for defensive line, I'll be using sliders again, so I'll see if that does anything. Good to see them defend though. As it's mental how many times you end up 1v1 against the keeper
I rember it ... it was on lower corner on the screen picture of the ball and you could target it like now ... difference is that now it is in real time

Besides good gameplay (which we never gonna have because of fut) i don't understand why they don't give us stadiums.

We want stadiums, is that hard to understand? Not female referees, not post-goal horse sound, not detailed scarfs, not much other unnecessary stuff but STADIUMS.

For example, Ligue 1 and Seria A are so much more priority than many other things. Also, we need 3 or 4 or 5 stadiums per league because of European competition. I would even consider paying as DLC or addon whatever, especially because that would be a game changer for me.

Also, we really need a new stadium editor and last season's stadium customizer to edit stadiums before CM for all teams, and also to be available for kick-off and tournament modes.

I did see a few people mention it at reveal. That free kick system was pretty notorious, and not for being good! A similar system was also in Football Kingdom and I'm sure another game around that time, maybe even earlier.

Back
Top Bottom