FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

I think fouls are another thing that are gone forever (other than deliberate fouls), for the "flow of the game". Stoppages are boring to the audience they're targeting.
I mean, fouls are a part of football, & obviously a consequence of poor discipline.

However after playing PES 5 this week, I can appreciate that for the interest of a fun & enjoyable game experience ultimately its a delicate balance. PES 5 is the extreme end of hyper sensitive refereeing & it's extremely stifling & frustrating & even manifests itself in 2021, meanwhile in other football games, men marking & pressing is so sparse you can't even deliberately foul a player if you wanted to.

Graphically, looks fantastic. Apart from the skating, and apart from the defenders standing around and just watching PSG score however they like.

In all seriousness (and I was being serious), it looks gorgeous.

The "augmented reality stats" I'm a huge fan of, and it's something real broadcasters use (more so outside of the UK).

The "after goal sound effects"... Thank fuck I don't play FUT.

Graphically, looks fantastic. Apart from the skating, and apart from the defenders standing around and just watching PSG score however they like.

In all seriousness (and I was being serious), it looks gorgeous.
Yes really good looking but damned why playing on amateur level only for the trailers???

Yeah, Fifa's problem has never been presentation. Grass looks good, nets are the best they've ever been etc etc.

What's wrong with the game is the part where they talk about the satisfaction of scoring a goal. There's zero satisfaction because there's zero defending. Looks like they've addressed that with horse sound effects when you score a goal.

The prosecution rests your honor.

Last edited:
The pitch texture is looking great. 3D grass seems to be greatly improved as well. Which is good.

Lighting is hit and miss. It's looking good on night matches. But in overcast day matches, it's looking pretty bland. FIFA 12 did overcast lighting very well in my opinion. Clear day matches also looks kinda bland.

I'm however still disappointed about the cloth physics. The lower part of the shirt not bouncing ruins the immersion for me completely. This was something that even Road To World cup 2006 did back in 2005, so I don't see why it's not a thing right now. FIFA 07-08, FIFA 14, PES 14, 17-18 also did it. So this is definitely possible, especially on next gen hardwares.

Another thing that bugs me are the LODs during gameplay. I had been using maxed out LODs on pc since late ps2 gen days and it ran just fine. The most noticeable downgrade with reduced LODs during gameplay camera is the lack of dynamic cloth wrinkles. It was noticeable on 720p with zoomed in cameras back in the day and now in 4k its even noticeable on tele cam. So this is something I wish they improved upon. PES already did it since 14-21 [unfortunately not anymore with efootball 22] and it was possible on fifa pc ports via mods. So I don't see why next gen consoles can't handle high gameplay LODs.

Yeah. The nets are really stunning. The live pitch is also really great detail maybe my favourite feature this year. Presentation in FIFA is always been perfect, they need to work more on adding more chants (since they like to brag about a number of teams and leagues).
Lighting is sometimes perfect and sometimes strange. Finally better Spurs stadium shadow.

And then...there is gameplay. Oh dear, what was that about..I mean pace is really great I love it, but then players start to pass tiki-taka and wtf was that?! Ball like doesn't have physics or weight..it looks awful. The most annoying part is that the game pace will probably be messed up with updates because of the fut morons. Also defending..A lot of bad gameplay stuff in that video. Intertia?
Also, there was some nice gameplay stuff, some great goals, looked really cool and feels like a proper game. We will see.

I know procedural movement is in its early days still but it's so jarring to look at, how in the hell were those reviews talking about increased weightiness etc. It looks as skittish and skatey as I've ever seen it. The general movement both in terms of player and ball, most notably in the trainer sequences, gives me a pre-FIFA 08 vibe where they just had no clue how to translate football into a video game. Despite being next-gen on PC I wouldn't even install it based on this footage

Last edited:
Why, why are they doing this in their trailers!? Only explanation can be, that there is no way of hiding it. 🤷‍♂️🤯
…not 20 sec into the trailer… why do I have to watch skating in slomo?! 🤯 why is the keeper doing an over head save with his right hand, when even I (former (pretending) Sunday league keeper) just would have raised the left hand?! 🤯 why isn’t he tipping on his toes before the shot? WHYYYYYY….!? 🤯
😂
Will continue now watching the rest…

edit: yeah, pitch deformation and horse sounds… ^^

Last edited:
Before it was bad players model, same size when celebrating, same body build for everyone etc. but on the pitch you forgot it quickly as the game was captivating. Presentation was great in terms of details, but size and all were gross and random. And the menus were pretty great, even if not easy to navigate or build a formation/tactic.

Now graphically it's looking really Next-Gen, and it's captivating to watch trailers, you see fantastics goals too... The issue is what looks fantastic in reality is totally normal in Fifa. And setting your formations/tactics, it's easier.
That game became the opposite from what it was in his prime : weird looking and not ugly but "too muchy" presentation, now it's spot on on everything who was ugly.

From captivating by gameplay to captivating by visuals... Except when you got the controller in hands, knows a bit how football works and (again) how an human being move.

Well, i shouldn't forget it's a trailer and even when it wasn't good looking it's always been their super power. "I can fly. Ah me i got super strength. And you, what's your superpower? I'm a super trailer man"

I actually think it looks quite off visually, specially night games. The colour palette and the player model themselves remain cartoonish as well as the turfs looking like they are hand painted with gouache.

chelseafinal.JPG Capture.JPG

Why is it so hard to make a football game have true colour and aesthetic representation in 2022. Looks nothing like the real thing, it's horrible.

Things like Vlahovic scoring that power shot gol at 4:30 bothers me so much lol. He's a pure left-footed, no way he should be able to fire something like that with his right.
Attributes matter less and less each year, because of the cries of "I pressed shoot and I aimed it right, why didn't it go in".

I actually think it looks quite off visually, specially night games. The colour palette and the player model themselves remain cartoonish as well as the turfs looking like they are hand painted with gouache.

View attachment 172127 View attachment 172128

Why is it so hard to make a football game have true colour and aesthetic representation in 2022. Looks nothing like the real thing, it's horrible.
First pic! That camera! 😍👌

Well, for gameplay sequences they need Weedens...
Perhaps it's him who knows, transferred to EA FC the others looks pretty Weedensy and perhaps he don't give a damn about Vlahovic lol.
But as a Juve fan... Nice notice trough. I didn't watched entirely.

I don't have high expectations, I just want variation in AI attacking patterns, but I can't find any mention of that (or AI in general) in the trailers.

Not all turfs got the same shade of green, on the same hours or season depending the light etc.

Nothing shocking to me. Even if on that pic, Chelsea pitch color looks nothing like in game, but well.
Perhaps on anothers pics, no idea but may change grass colours from a year to another etc., then it's Chelsea lol (i like them since even before than Zola with... Vialli so)

... From what i care to be honest, in the current state of football games

Last edited:
EA really prefer showing dumb defenders and strong strikers. I think in the last 3 trailers I've seen 1 stop and 2 good tackles and ... 15 goals!

Powershot looks .. overpowered i'm afraid. Don't need that in the game for me.

I hope having a bêta Key to see what really happened on WC or Legend.

It 's hard to find a nice streamer who played a nice game on slow when the beta is out.

View attachment 172127 View attachment 172128

I agree with you. The graphics have a kind of next-gen-lots-of-filters pizzazz, but the image looks nothing like tv. It just looks a bit nauseating, almost like the pitch is made of velvet (pes 15 on ps4 had this problem, so did pes 10. Yet here we are...)

Fifa 16 pitches look so realistic. Espcially sunny, overcast, dusk. Maybe its an engine problem... I just dont get why the graphic artists cant just paint the pitch the right colour...are they using so many lighting effects that they cant get the right mix? Well if so, sack your lighting guys, because even an average lighting designer can get that right. Other sports games seem to have no problem.

I also have an issue with the new broadcast camera. It just doesnt feel like a tv camera. It feels far too side-scrolling...so the whole game feels like its boxed into an almost static frame. Again, just design a proper stadium camera going (even konami can manage this).
Though I expect the camera design is to suit fut players, though they all play with that hideous side-on camera anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: cb7
I agree with you. The graphics have a kind of next-gen-lots-of-filters pizzazz, but the image looks nothing like tv. It just looks a bit nauseating, almost like the pitch is made of velvet (pes 15 on ps4 had this problem, so did pes 10. Yet here we are...)

Fifa 16 pitches look so realistic. Espcially sunny, overcast, dusk. Maybe its an engine problem... I just dont get why the graphic artists cant just paint the pitch the right colour...are they using so many lighting effects that they cant get the right mix? Well if so, sack your lighting guys, because even an average lighting designer can get that right. Other sports games seem to have no problem.

I also have an issue with the broadcast camera. It just doesnt feel like a tv camera. It feels far too side-scrolling...so the whole game feels like its boxed into a almost static frame. Again, just get a proper stadium camera going (even konami can manage this).
Yeah :| With the technology available in 2022 they could simply make some photo realistic textures with high resolution like the kind of work @endo does with PES. But they don't do any of that because it all needs to fit the cartoon aesthetic of the whole package they have.

Back
Top Bottom