FIFA 22 Discussion (Console Versions)

Interested to hear the thoughts of the Stadia guys (paging @Anth James). Especially since they've now removed the AI fouls again.

Pretty disgraceful that Career Mode players matter so fucking little, you either have no fouls or constant random fouls, as opposed to contextual fouls based on the player's attributes and where the player/ball is in relation to the opponent.

Games from 20+ years ago had that... but not a next-gen football game from 2022. That'd be too time-consuming to code. More important to spend dev time improving the range of confetti colours that burst from the sky when you score a goal in Volta Arcade.

I play the game less out of principle now, more than anything else. We matter less and less.

is that confirmed? i will be unplugging my network if it is
In the changelog they have confirmed it:
  • Reduced the frequency of CPU AI slide tackles
They've simply undone the previous change, and it's the only way you get fouled by the AI, so we're back to zero fouls.

They aren't interested in spending dev time to make it more complex than "foul nobody" or "foul everybody".

In the changelog they have confirmed it:
  • Reduced the frequency of CPU AI slide tackles
They've simply undone the previous change, and it's the only way you get fouled by the AI, so we're back to zero fouls.

They aren't interested in spending dev time to make it more complex than "foul nobody" or "foul everybody".
It's not the only way , there's shirt pulls and also standing fouls if you change direction quickly enough.

It's not the only way , there's shirt pulls and also standing fouls if you change direction quickly enough.
I pass the ball around and don't dribble a great deal, so every game I play vs the AI (without the flying sliding tackles) has no fouls.

However I play shouldn't mean the AI never makes a poorly timed sliding tackle (and now they won't, so I'll never get fouled again).

I’m going to actually defend EA on this one and I’m usually scathing when it comes to the FIFA franchise.

The AI slide tackles definitely needed calming down. I was playing yesterday and the CPU slides around like a mad man, when it’s completely unnecessary to do so. I’ve seen the CPU get so many straight red cards against me because of the amount of ridiculous slide tackles. (Example: CPU would hack me down in midfield when I’m not posing any attacking threat - and this would happen nearly every other match on PS5 version).

The rest of the patch though - meh. So much to address and all they worry about are some skinny fu**ing arms.

I pass the ball around and don't dribble a great deal, so every game I play vs the AI (without the flying sliding tackles) has no fouls.

However I play shouldn't mean the AI never makes a poorly timed sliding tackle (and now they won't, so I'll never get fouled again).
Not sure I agree with you , why would they slide tackle if you aren't running with the ball

Not sure I agree with you , why would they slide tackle if you aren't running with the ball
To win possession back when I pass it to someone who's being marked. If non-human-controlled players do any marking at some point in the near future.

Interested to hear the thoughts of the Stadia guys (paging @Anth James). Especially since they've now removed the AI fouls again.

Pretty disgraceful that Career Mode players matter so fucking little, you either have no fouls or constant random fouls, as opposed to contextual fouls based on the player's attributes and where the player/ball is in relation to the opponent.

Games from 20+ years ago had that... but not a next-gen football game from 2022. That'd be too time-consuming to code. More important to spend dev time improving the range of confetti colours that burst from the sky when you score a goal in Volta Arcade.

I play the game less out of principle now, more than anything else. We matter less and less.
Sorry Chris, I’m on Ps5, not Stadia. Very curious to hear thoughts from others though! How about @cb7 ?

Hoped to get a look at this today but ran out of time.

For what it's worth, my frustration was how badly distributed the tackles and fouls were. I'd play game after game where the ref was a spectator. And then St Johnstone would come to town.

The Super Js have clearly been given orders to make up for it. Whenever I play(ed) them they had at least one red card after scores of ridiculous, needless sliding tackles.

Great that a team is given a noticeable ID as being more physical. But when it's confined to one of 11 opponents in the league, and is so pronounced, it seems like an accident rather than by design.

Managed to squeeze in a couple of games, the first time I've played it since December 13th. Can't say I noticed any difference. Maybe the keepers looked worse again, letting shots past them while barely attempting to save.

It's still turn-based. You get your window to score as many as you can, then the AI gets theirs. Barely got a sniff against Motherwell and lost 4-1 at home, but the tables were turned next game when I won 4-1 at Hearts.

Could've maybe played more but I'd much rather play CM 01/02 on my tablet in bed.

Oh, and this happened. It was the most notable moment of the two games:

Goodnight everyone.

Sorry Chris, I’m on Ps5, not Stadia. Very curious to hear thoughts from others though! How about @cb7 ?
Checked this afternoon and did not see any patch update message. I'm not sure about this but I think they've changed the release phase to match the console NG version on the previous one. I suppose PC gets it first and both Stadia and consoles later.

Managed to squeeze in a couple of games, the first time I've played it since December 13th. Can't say I noticed any difference. Maybe the keepers looked worse again, letting shots past them while barely attempting to save.

It's still turn-based. You get your window to score as many as you can, then the AI gets theirs. Barely got a sniff against Motherwell and lost 4-1 at home, but the tables were turned next game when I won 4-1 at Hearts.

Could've maybe played more but I'd much rather play CM 01/02 on my tablet in bed.

Oh, and this happened. It was the most notable moment of the two games:

Goodnight everyone.

That's last gen?

The ball physics are horrendous this year on PC, last night I had a match where a CPU player went to chest the ball, instead it clipped through his neck about halfway then flew off his spinal column out for a throw-in...

The patch isn't out on PS or Xbox yet, so that'll be the previous patch you've played - still, puts you in a good position to notice any changes when the patch does release!

That would explain it! I wasn't paying too much attention as I'm... simply not playing the game. I'd switched on the console and left it for about 45 minutes without looking and then skipped through various screens upon launching it so just assumed that it had updated.

But yes, I feel a little more refreshed now and will be better placed to notice changes. Something needs to change - what a dull game it is.

Fortunately based on the last couple of games AI fouls are still a thing and I had something like 5 or 6 fouls against with a few yellow cards so it didn't look too much different since the last update, thankfully.

A friend of mine tested the new patch for me on PC, in particular the issue "Reduced the frequency of CPU AI slide tackles".
Here are his notes about it:
"I confirm that the new patch has halved the number of fouls ... if before the cpu closed from 2 to 7 fouls per game with warnings and expulsions ... now practically zero"
Professional Difficulty Full Manual

I wouldn't say it's as clear cut as halved, I played a game (Brentford) and there were 0 CPU fouls, then I played Stoke in the league and they were fouling loads, at least 5 or 6 fouls and I think they got 4 yellows. Then played Zenit in the Champions League and again they were very fouly with about the same amount of fouls as the Stoke match with a couple of yellow cards, quite a few times they made wild lunges that I easily evaded but could have been a yellow/red if they made contact with me. World class/Fuma/8 min halves.

Fortunately based on the last couple of games AI fouls are still a thing and I had something like 5 or 6 fouls against with a few yellow cards so it didn't look too much different since the last update, thankfully.
I think the amount of fouls depends on a few. Factors , teams, the players style of play , tactics etc . On PS5 I've had games with 2 or 3 fouls and games with as many as 9 or 10 .

I’m very curious to see how this one is implemented

- When playing matches with the Defensive Depth Custom Tactic Slider set to 7 or above, defenders could unintentionally drop too deep into their own half.

I’m hoping that it means the defensive line will hold its position more and not blindly track runs. On the other hand, if it’s implemented wrong, it may take away the contextual dropping when required. It all comes down to how EA apply it. It could really improve the midfield game, or it could break the tactical adjustment which helps to offset it...

Last edited:
It doesn't help me because the CPU simply don't score enough in World Class and below. So it's either have a challenge in Legendary but have results like 4-3 every game or play in World Class and win most matches.

It's an issue which has plagued FIFA's single player Career Mode for a long time now.

Glad you're enjoying it - there's a lot to like with FIFA 22 but I can only play one match of an evening before getting bored or annoyed with the game.
Hey man, I'm hearing what you're saying with this.

Have you given my sliders/tactical adjustment a try recently? I was refining them quite a lot at one stage but they've been settled for a while now. I know the tactical adjustment is a frustrating addition to add on, but I really recommend giving it a go as it makes a big difference (I honestly see zero tika-tika now - and I was seeing it a lot at one point).

I'm not trying to force them on you at all, but I thought I'd suggest it as I'm not having those crazy scorelines or more importantly - crazy stats with loads of shots per game, constant end to end, GKs making a million saves, etc. I'm having very interesting midfield battles with much better spacing/positioning, low shot counts (10 min halves), realistic and varied patterns, contextual errors and it’s tough on Legendary!

It's obviously not perfect and no issue if you hate it either but just a suggestion for you to hopefully improve enjoyment. I can't lie, I'm still loving this game and play it every day.

...really hoping the update only improves things, but you never know with EA!

https://evoweb.uk/threads/anths-fifa-22-next-gen-simulation-sliders-tactical-adjustment.88993/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom