Anth's FIFA 22 Next-Gen Simulation Sliders/Tactical Adjustment (16/05/22)

Anth James

International
22 September 2017
16/5/22 -I'm going to start over. Not enjoying the balance of gameplay anymore....

**There are 2 parts to this to get the full experience**

1. Slider set
2. Tactical adjustment

--------------------------------

-World Class/Legendary
-Slow, 10 min halves
-Classic Attributes in Kick-Off mode
-Manual/Semi (Competitor Switch off, Jockey Manual, Pass Block Assistance On, Analogue Sprint off)

Sprint Speed: 62/75
Acceleration: 47/53
Shot Error: 72/72 (Manual: 60/72)
Pass Error: 78/68 (Manual: 60/68)
Shot Speed: 49/49
Pass Speed: 36/29
Injury Frequency: 50/50
Injury Severity: 50/50
GK Ability: 50/50
Marking: 40/95
Run Frequency: 85/85
Line Height: 100/100
Line Length: 35/80
Line Width: 60/70
FB Positioning: 45/45
First Touch Error: 20/20
Power bar: 45 (for full manual I recommend 70 as it’s better for passing)

TACTICAL ADJUSTMENT

I know editing tactics isn't ideal, but it’s worth it. It only takes a minute or so per team. I did an entire league in about 15-20 minutes.

Why the change?

- When the base positioning for teams overall is higher, we get some different responses from the CPU in certain situations. This helps to create a deeper midfield and a more difficult avenue to goal - and also a reduction in similar gameplay patterns.

- We know that teams can retreat too much and follow their attacking runners a lot. This pulls the entire defensive line back too easily and too often, and we end up with lots of repetitive types of gameplay patterns (around the edge of the box).

- The way the line gets dragged back creates a gap between the midfield line and the defensive line and this allows that ball to be played through so easily which is why we keep ending up with that similar gameplay pattern.

**This tactical fix doesn't mean every team plays the same or look the same, I look at it as a correction of base positioning**

There are steps:

Go into Team Sheet

2. Raise the Defensive Depth tactic -

Go into Tactics, and raise your Defensive Depth. The lowest depth you want to select is 75 and the highest as 100. So Burnley for example I would select as 75 and Man City, Liverpool, Man Utd, etc 100. I use values of 75, 80, 85, 90, 95 or 100.

3. Select the 'Step-Up' Instruction for ALL defenders.
...and repeat for each team you want to make the adjustment to! All other tactics remain exactly the way they were, it's just 'correcting' this position.

4. Save your squads as ‘Tactical Adjustment’.

Notes:

• This helps, but doesn't completely solve the tracking issue (you will still see it more than you want to), but the correction of base position definitely improves the overall positioning and midfield game.
  • As the defenders step up now (and are higher), we decrease the space between the midfield and defensive line more often - instead of increasing it with those tracking runners. This leads to more interceptions and more defensive resistance.
  • I haven't found the space in behind to be exploitable in my games, but I like how you have to be more aware of your positioning now. Hypermotion works well with the adjustment as teams do still organically drop and shuffle based on context, but it doesn't just constantly drop off all the time now.
  • It helps with ping pong passing around the box - purely as we aren't constantly presented with gameplay patterns around this position.
I've had some great and varied matches with this adjustment, significantly less end-to-end patterns and realistic shot counts.

Last edited:
I've been playing around with various widths and I have two observations. When playing out from the back I feel that my back 4 bunch too narrow, I like my full backs to be giving that wide option and also some sort of split between the the CB's. The other thing is it feels to me that it stops the CPU from spreading the ball as much, the long diagonals. It's hard to tell cause the CPU is quite good at exploiting dynamic situations, so a lot of the time it could just be them attacking a space I've left in behind.

I also find that with the pass error and speed too low for the CPU they start knocking it around in my penalty box too much, which does my head in as attackers can make turns defenders cant.

I ended up lowering the shot error for the CPU down to about 56 as I felt they were missing way too many chances. When I was looking at the stats for all the game, their accuracy was like 10%, and also upped their goal keeper to 70, but it hasn't seemed to make much difference.

Agree about the full backs, helps them to come out of the situation where a counter attack happens and the CPU back for is perfectly in line, I guess having overlap on would help.

High sprint speed cause some major random issues , since upping this I've seen some really unbalanced goalkeepers and soft goals , does it affect shot speed

Thanks for the feedback guys. @fernadez do you see a difference on different widths with how you can play out from the back? I feel like that pretty much comes down to how EA position us from goal kicks etc. Did you find a value which works for you? I’ll give shot error on 56 a go too.

In terms of CPU playing long diagonals, I’ve actually seen quite a few of them in my games. I’ve seen quite a few long balls over the top, as well as splitting through balls into space. You’re right about the CPU using the space that’s available to it. I find they’ll punish you for your gaps.

@hitmanuk That’s strange, I haven’t noticed any of that so far in my games. What kind of goals? It shouldn’t impact shot speed.

Just playing around now, because the custom tactics works my issues can be offset. For example City's Width is 70 and Depth is 80. If you compare that too most teams it's much higher and stops them dropping off. I've set my Depth high now and my team don't drop to the penalty spot, and with a wider with keep the width even with the slider low.

Update is out. Haven’t had long with it, but I’m resetting marking back to 50/50. Seems they’re getting a little too close and easy to turn on 60/60. Default marking is much better so far.

Just playing around now, because the custom tactics works my issues can be offset. For example City's Width is 70 and Depth is 80. If you compare that too most teams it's much higher and stops them dropping off. I've set my Depth high now and my team don't drop to the penalty spot, and with a wider with keep the width even with the slider low.
Nice man. That’s good tactics are still having a good impact. How do you find the overall gameplay at 75/75 and 49/49?

Nice man. That’s good tactics are still having a good impact. How do you find the overall gameplay at 75/75 and 49/49?

Haven't tried that yet, I'm scared............

In previous years I think it was Krebstar on operation sports brought out a Custom Tactic Thread for all the teams, it's probably what's needed again now that everything works.

Haven't tried that yet, I'm scared............
Hahaha, I hear you. It won’t be for everyone, but if you do try it, give it some time. First few mins will feel a little odd. See if it grows on you. I find it brings more positives than I thought and doesn’t feel particularly fast after a little while. Obviously some negatives, but they’re more cosmetic than anything else and it settles down after the first little bit too as stamina goes if you’re sprinting everywhere all the time.

I like how it makes the CPU play with more purpose. If there’s space, they’re running into it, if they’re chasing you, they’re going after you.

First few mins will feel a little odd. See if it grows on you. I find it brings more positives than I thought and doesn’t feel particularly fast after a little while. Obviously some negatives, but they’re more cosmetic than anything else and it settles down after the first little bit too as stamina goes if you’re sprinting everywhere all the time.

I like how it makes the CPU play with more purpose. If there’s space, they’re running into it, if they’re chasing you, they’re going after you.
After playing a considerable amount of games with default values, I can contribute by saying the positioning is much better as opposed to the 10/10 sprint for example.

One of the things that bothered me the most before was how easy it was to just run up the wing and double tap the cross button for the striker to tap it in, completely at easy and with the opposite team CB's paralysed and clueless somewhere behind. After raising it from 10/10 to default I haven't see any of these things happening at all, and when it happens, the box is usually already covered by the CB's as it should be really.

I will try your slider values at some point, I'm quite curious to see how it works at 75/75 with your set.

One other thing that is working for me is to set the "pass block assistance" on. I'm not completely sure about it yet but after 4 or 5 games testing it, I felt the defenders controlled by the AI are more aware and active and do step in more often to intercept passes, which I like.

Thanks for the feedback guys. @fernadez do you see a difference on different widths with how you can play out from the back? I feel like that pretty much comes down to how EA position us from goal kicks etc. Did you find a value which works for you? I’ll give shot error on 56 a go too.

In terms of CPU playing long diagonals, I’ve actually seen quite a few of them in my games. I’ve seen quite a few long balls over the top, as well as splitting through balls into space. You’re right about the CPU using the space that’s available to it. I find they’ll punish you for your gaps.

@hitmanuk That’s strange, I haven’t noticed any of that so far in my games. What kind of goals? It shouldn’t impact shot speed.
a shot right next to the GK just raised his hands and went past him - never seen it before or since

After playing a considerable amount of games with default values, I can contribute by saying the positioning is much better as opposed to the 10/10 sprint for example.

One of the things that bothered me the most before was how easy it was to just run up the wing and double tap the cross button for the striker to tap it in, completely at easy and with the opposite team CB's paralysed and clueless somewhere behind. After raising it from 10/10 to default I haven't see any of these things happening at all, and when it happens, the box is usually already covered by the CB's as it should be really.

I will try your slider values at some point, I'm quite curious to see how it works at 75/75 with your set.

One other thing that is working for me is to set the "pass block assistance" on. I'm not completely sure about it yet but after 4 or 5 games testing it, I felt the defenders controlled by the AI are more aware and active and do step in more often to intercept passes, which I like.
I definitely agree in regards to the low sprint speed. I found it wasn't much of an issue on default. I saw it happening occasionally where the midfielder would give up the run with no other marker to take over, but it wasn't gamebreaking.

Yeah give it a go but when you're ready (49/49 acceleration too)- but as I said before, stick with it for a while before throwing it out. There will probably be an early temptation to say this feels terrible. But it really does settle and bring some nice positives. Also feel free to hate it too haha - it won't be everyone's go-to. I still can't believe I like it, I would have thought no way when seeing it too haha.

I'll turn pass block assistance back on, thanks for the tip.

Reactions: cb7
Sprint Speed: 50/50
Acceleration: 48/48
Shot Error: 55/56
Pass Error: 50/70
Shot Speed: 45/45
Pass Speed: 40/20
Injury Frequency: 75/75
Injury Severity: 25/25
GK Ability: 50/70
Marking: 60/60
Run Frequency: 50/50
Line Height: 65/50
Line Length: 50/50
Line Width: 30/30
FB Positioning: 55/68
First Touch Error: 95/95

I've turned analgoue sprint off and like I said, adjusting the line in Custom Tactics has helped my team not back off.

Sprint Speed: 50/50
Acceleration: 48/48
Shot Error: 55/56
Pass Error: 50/70
Shot Speed: 45/45
Pass Speed: 40/20
Injury Frequency: 75/75
Injury Severity: 25/25
GK Ability: 50/70
Marking: 60/60
Run Frequency: 50/50
Line Height: 65/50
Line Length: 50/50
Line Width: 30/30
FB Positioning: 55/68
First Touch Error: 95/95

I've turned analgoue sprint off and like I said, adjusting the line in Custom Tactics has helped my team not back off.
I think a reason you might not be seeing those long passes etc is your pass error at 70. It seems to stunt their pass risk.

I've made just a couple of small balancing adjustments to the set. Having some great matches with these post patch.

@fernadez I tried your pass error suggestion of 56 and I think it's definitely showing less silly misses from the CPU. I've upped it just slightly to 58/58.

Shot Error: 58/58
Marking: 55/55
Width: 30/30
FB: 52/52

I’m noticing a consistently lower shot count with these sliders compared to default. Not boringly low and still with plenty of freedom to play, but just some more midfield and interceptions etc. The last match I played was one of the best I’ve had on 22. 10 min halves, 1-1, 8 shots from me, 11 from cpu.

One thing regarding the FB runs. Do you think that having them set low then makes the back 4 to uniform. I mean in the sense that when you or the CPU counter attack the back 4 will be in a perfect line as the FB haven't pushed up at all.

I'd rather see them higher and the CM sitting than attack on the counter and see them in a George Graham line at the back.

One thing regarding the FB runs. Do you think that having them set low then makes the back 4 to uniform. I mean in the sense that when you or the CPU counter attack the back 4 will be in a perfect line as the FB haven't pushed up at all.

I'd rather see them higher and the CM sitting than attack on the counter and see them in a George Graham line at the back.
Yeah I find it’s a balance to get them high enough to not be always in the four, but not too high that they’re too easy to bypass and never a defensive option for counters. Makes counters too easy. I felt like 52 with 55 marking is a fairly good balance for now. You could try bumping full backs right up and see how you find it.

Yeah I find it’s a balance to get them high enough to not be always in the four, but not too high that they’re too easy to bypass and never a defensive option for counters. Makes counters too easy. I felt like 52 with 55 marking is a fairly good balance for now. You could try bumping full backs right up and see how you find it.

Just switched on the PS5, will have a few games now with 52 and 55. One thing I have noticed is that CIty are incredibly easy to break against because of the custom tactics I was mentioning before, so again there is a fine line between not having you team drop off and having them too far up. I would break and just 1-2 it with my winger and have a clear run on goal from the halfway line. Their 80 depth is way to high. I've got mine on 70 right now and that feels pretty decent.

Man, just wanted to say I'm REALLY enjoying your sliders at the moment. They are the ones, out of all I tried, in which I feel there is more defensive awareness and midfield play - haven't seen jockeys or big sleeps, except for something here and there. Feels like in return I can also contain CPU better too without it being too easy anyway. Plus I find the general rythm and momentum very nice, coupled with the cpu aggression we are lately experiencing thanks to the patch it all feels very good.
Just switched on the PS5, will have a few games now with 52 and 55. One thing I have noticed is that CIty are incredibly easy to break against because of the custom tactics I was mentioning before, so again there is a fine line between not having you team drop off and having them too far up. I would break and just 1-2 it with my winger and have a clear run on goal from the halfway line. Their 80 depth is way to high. I've got mine on 70 right now and that feels pretty decent.
Yeah, agree. I'm playing in la Liga and Betis is also the posterchild of this. Haven't looked at how tactics are set, but they must have some ridiculous depth/pressing setting by default as well as in both my matches, with different sliders indeed, they were so incredibly high there was an exploit available in every other play. Feels like tactics do make an enormous difference, it's such a shame we live in an age in which seriously, globally mod it all is probably off limits, as it would make a world of difference.

Man, just wanted to say I'm REALLY enjoying your sliders at the moment. They are the ones, out of all I tried, in which I feel there is more defensive awareness and midfield play - haven't seen jockeys or big sleeps, except for something here and there. Feels like in return I can also contain CPU better too without it being too easy anyway. Plus I find the general rythm and momentum very nice, coupled with the cpu aggression we are lately experiencing thanks to the patch it all feels very good.

Yeah, agree. I'm playing in la Liga and Betis is also the posterchild of this. Haven't looked at how tactics are set, but they must have some ridiculous depth/pressing setting by default as well as in both my matches, with different sliders indeed, they were so incredibly high there was an exploit available in every other play. Feels like tactics do make an enormous difference, it's such a shame we live in an age in which seriously, globally mod it all is probably off limits, as it would make a world of difference.
Thanks for the great feedback man. Glad you’re enjoying it too!

I also agree with you guys about Man City type tactics being too easy to exploit. Ahh global edits would be amazing. I wonder if it’s worth tinkering with tactics just for teams who play like this and see if we can find a way to still keep overall their style but also make them defensively solid. They commit so many players forward so quickly that they just become wide open.

I think some of the problem lies in the way they press too. Sometimes the CPU just kind of charges at you and they become very easy to bypass. If they pressed but then also contained realistically it would help a lot I think.

I’m testing 35/35 width and 65/65 marking to see if it helps the wings be covered a little better but still hopefully keeps things quite congested. It seems to be helping the FB positioning a little bit and everything seems fairly tight. If anyone wants to test, let me know how you find it.

EDIT: I’ve tried to test the hell out of these wings with this adjustment, as before I was able to break past the FB too easily. Something about the distances were wrong. I’m happy with the results so far, it’s a definite improvement. The marking, positioning and covering seems much better.

EDIT 2: I played some more test games and for me it confirmed the balance is right now.

Last edited:
Just had a great game with a really good flow to it. Lots of different types of chances, good midfield battle, lots of fouls. Man Utd v RB Leipzig. 10 min halves. Lost 1-0 due to a great long range strike from the CPU. Caught me off guard. 51-49% possession, 12-17 shots. They fouled me 7 times and 85% pass accuracy for both teams.

Hey! I thought I would leave some feedback after playing around 20 games with your sliders.

Please feel free to disregard it as I'm playing on legendary and slow.

I'm enjoying them much more than the OS sliders. I was finding them far too easy and too many 3 on 2 counter attacks, wish I'm guessing is down to the sprint speed?

These are much more of a challenge. However, the superman, ping pong passing has returned around the edge of the box which wasn't there with the OS sliders. I'm also finding some of the animations and movement of the players a bit glitchy at times.

Really enjoying them overall though, thanks mate!

Hey! I thought I would leave some feedback after playing around 20 games with your sliders.

Please feel free to disregard it as I'm playing on legendary and slow.

I'm enjoying them much more than the OS sliders. I was finding them far too easy and too many 3 on 2 counter attacks, wish I'm guessing is down to the sprint speed?

These are much more of a challenge. However, the superman, ping pong passing has returned around the edge of the box which wasn't there with the OS sliders. I'm also finding some of the animations and movement of the players a bit glitchy at times.

Really enjoying them overall though, thanks mate!
Thanks for the feedback and happy to hear you’re liking the set. I play on slow too, but I haven’t tried on legendary before so good to know.

I’d say the ping pong element is down to difficulty level primarily, combined with default pass speed (probably error also). I’d say the first place to start is to probably try slowing pass speed a little and see if that helps. Pass speed adjustments will have less of an impact in terms of overall variety than pass error.

Yeah animations and movement can suffer at times on the faster speeds. For me, I find it isn’t a world away from how it looks on default and the benefits in awareness, mentality and behaviour outweigh the animations/glitches but I certainly know what you mean.

Have you guys been playing with a Default or Classic Attributes? I had been on Default this whole time. I just saw the link posted on the main thread, I had no idea default bumps up acceleration and other stats to be more like FUT (+6 acceleration for example).

After switching to Classic the gameplay feels slower and more measured. It seems to have helped animations as well. I’m also finding it much more difficult to just turn and run by defenders - a good thing!

I’m not sure yet, but I’m wondering if Acceleration might be better at 50 with Classic. I haven’t had much time with it though and I’m away for a few days so I’ll have to test when I’m back. I’m not sure if there’s negative impacts on gameplay on Classic but we’ll have to see! So far it certainly seems like a positive.

Oh and is Classic automatically applied on Career mode??? All so confusing haha.

Last edited:
Oh and is Classic automatically applied on Career mode??? All so confusing haha.
Is it? I think it is. It has been i default everywhere I look but good to know what it is. I'll have to check tomorrow.

I'll give your sliders a whirl tomorrow. Trying to see what I settle on for a career while I take a break from online. Been having great games but also some frustrating ping pong crap on WC ( maybe your line settings help with this). I'm just tired of seeing the ai dance all over my box and do side steps until they get a shot.

I wish I could make professional more challenging as the ai acts more natural.

Quick question do you play with competitor mode on or off. Off just seems to be more assisted and seeing how everyone here is of the fuma crowd i wonder if this affects anything else besides the assists to the gameplay

Have you guys been playing with a Default or Classic Attributes? I had been on Default this whole time. I just saw the link posted on the main thread, I had no idea default bumps up acceleration and other stats to be more like FUT (+6 acceleration for example).

After switching to Classic the gameplay feels slower and more measured. It seems to have helped animations as well. I’m also finding it much more difficult to just turn and run by defenders - a good thing!

I’m not sure yet, but I’m wondering if Acceleration might be better at 50 with Classic. I haven’t had much time with it though and I’m away for a few days so I’ll have to test when I’m back. I’m not sure if there’s negative impacts on gameplay on Classic but we’ll have to see! So far it certainly seems like a positive.

I've always had classic on. Might go some way to the slight differences we've been having.

See this post below from the FIFA 22 console thread:

(In short, Career Mode has its own attributes system where they are boosted by training, morale etc. - all of which are visible in the player's profiles, with the pluses next to each affected line. You can skip training etc. but the AI will get the boosts, so for balance, you need them too.)

In exhibition games you can change FIFA attribute style from "default" (which boosts all relevant attributes, like you've got 100 chemistry on Ultimate Team), or "classic" (which turns all that shit off).

Now, I didn't think this could be turned off for Career Mode, but looking at the wording of the gameplay deep dive from July, it looks like it actually doesn't impact Career Mode:

Ce42ENN.png

But, your players get +5 boosts for managing to put their boots on the right feet for training, and +5 boosts every time you don't slag them off in a press conference.

That's my (other) long-term worry - Career Mode will be unplayable after a few games, because of all the boosts.

Back
Top Bottom