Votes: 53 25.2%
  • I have already pre-ordered it

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • I'll wait for the sales to get it cheaper

Votes: 30 14.3%
  • I'm still not sure

Votes: 53 25.2%

• Total voters
In FIFA 19, there is still a sense of give up by the AI, but not to the point in which you can easily burst like you could in FIFA 16.

I guess that's the balance between Sim and Fun which developers have to pay attention to too. In real life a defender wouldn't just go from sprinting to jogging when a player just dribbled past him, but in the virtual world, it would be kind of a joy killer not being able to getting rid of an opponent.

I just recently played FIFA 16 and Hazard actually plays like Hazard. FIFA 16 had the best dribbling any footie game could come up with honestly. It felt natural, contextual and player individuality showed up a lot. You didn't had to spam right stick skill moves and you could use left stick to time moves and it took account of dribbling stats. FIFA 19 is still a fun game and better than FIFA 18 but the dribbling is not as rewarding as FIFA 16.

Also in FIFA16 the R2 + L2 (Sprint + Jockey) close dribble technique allowed you stay at a relative high pace and burst from it, and this was nerfed in the Frostbite games. That's another aspect of dribbling that is now lacking in my opinion.

I just recently played FIFA 16 and Hazard actually plays like Hazard. FIFA 16 had the best dribbling any footie game could come up with honestly. It felt natural, contextual and player individuality showed up a lot. You didn't had to spam right stick skill moves and you could use left stick to time moves and it took account of dribbling stats. FIFA 19 is still a fun game and better than FIFA 18 but the dribbling is not as rewarding as FIFA 16.

Hazard dribbling in FIFA 16:

Haven’t played fifa16 that much but by the looks of the dribbling moves there is to much space left between hazard and defenders, imo. In 19 it looks better to me.

@ the topic:I try to use the sprint button not to much. RS i barely use. My dribbling in 19 became a combination of L1 (stop facing goal) and R1 (my sprint button) plus LS.

Weird I've definitely tried to do that and got the message I've used all my subs on PC.

Hmm. Maybe it was a one-off? I'll try again later.

Not using any sliders. CPU has punished any mistake I make.

Saying that, I am only a few games in but hopefully it stays tough for me. Everyone on Reddit also saying it's hard this year and they are halfway through their seasons. You must be extremely good!

I think it depends a lot on who you play with. Playing with Spurs I've certainly found it a bit too easy to outplay teams that should be better defensively, but I've started a career mode with Wimbledon, and I'm really struggling to even get shots on goal.

Hmm. Maybe it was a one-off? I'll try again later.

I think it depends a lot on who you play with. Playing with Spurs I've certainly found it a bit too easy to outplay teams that should be better defensively, but I've started a career mode with Wimbledon, and I'm really struggling to even get shots on goal.
When you say 'too easy', were you running away with the league? I ask this because I will want to play a second save with a big team at some point. I'm not going to bother if it's way too easy.

I really am seeing mixed opinions all over the internet re: Ultimate difficulty. One or two on here saying it's really easy, plenty of others saying it's difficulty. With and without sliders.

When you say 'too easy', were you running away with the league? I ask this because I will want to play a second save with a big team at some point. I'm not going to bother if it's way too easy.

I really am seeing mixed opinions all over the internet re: Ultimate difficulty. One or two on here saying it's really easy, plenty of others saying it's difficulty. With and without sliders.

Just the general feel of games, where you create chance after chance easily. I won four on the trot, and were leading United 2-0 away after 20 mins. But this was with the OS sliders, which I have since dropped, as they don't feel right yet. So maybe its better on default. Hopefully it is. :)

Just the general feel of games, where you create chance after chance easily. I won four on the trot, and were leading United 2-0 away after 20 mins. But this was with the OS sliders, which I have since dropped, as they don't feel right yet. So maybe its better on default. Hopefully it is. :)

Thanks for the reply and info :)

I am still using default [untouched] sliders so maybe that's why I find it difficult? I'm not THAT good at the game either.

CPU scores so many first time shots outside the box against me in Ultimate!

Thanks for the reply and info :)

I am still using default [untouched] sliders so maybe that's why I find it difficult? I'm not THAT good at the game either.

CPU scores so many first time shots outside the box against me in Ultimate!

I went back to default yesterday, and played on semi assisted, but on professional with Wimbledon, it generally felt a lot more challenging, so I reckon you're right. Much more pressure from the CPU. I'll try again on default ultimate tonight. Sooooo many overhead kicks though, Jesus, they need to patch that out.

I went back to default yesterday, and played on semi assisted, but on professional with Wimbledon, it generally felt a lot more challenging, so I reckon you're right. Much more pressure from the CPU. I'll try again on default ultimate tonight. Sooooo many overhead kicks though, Jesus, they need to patch that out.
I am wary of sliders. My experience of them is that they always seem to break something. I don't trust this engine EA use now I still don't think it suits a football game for whatever reason.

I need to try other control types. When you say 'semi assisted', is this default? And is this for shooting, crossing, everything? I need a tutorial/advice because I've never tinkered with any control settings before :)

edit: What I will also say...try CO-OP Camera if you haven't already. It makes the game harder I think.

Last edited:
When you start adjusting sliders the game becomes twisted and warped into into something that plays nothing like football once you step back and take a look, so I keep them on the default setting.

Been playing on slow since release but it felt too clunky. Normal is too fast really but the game plays better on that setting. Looking forward to a patch as the game is a bit buggy right now.

I am wary of sliders. My experience of them is that they always seem to break something. I don't trust this engine EA use now I still don't think it suits a football game for whatever reason.

I need to try other control types. When you say 'semi assisted', is this default? And is this for shooting, crossing, everything? I need a tutorial/advice because I've never tinkered with any control settings before :)

edit: What I will also say...try CO-OP Camera if you haven't already. It makes the game harder I think.

Yeah, I've been tinkering too much with sliders in my time, but generally find that they always mess something up, so it's always best to just adjust to the default sliders one way or the other. It's also insanely time consuming to find an optimal setting that probably isn't even there.

I've set passing to semi assist, through balls to manual, crosses and lobs to manual and shots to semi. Makes the game harder and more interesting. Feels a lot more like the pes of old. Definitely worth a try. :)

So i've had a few hours on this. The variety is definitely there and theres some truly wonderful animations, they've especially reworked headers as some people leap like salmon and really thump it. Haven't got used to the timed finish yet so turned it off.

However theres a few glaring/annoying things:

The pitch:

Why does it look smudged compared to 18? it lacks some definition and is definitely noticeable

50/50 Battles:

I like this feature however the ball feels like its always going to go to the CPU, I don't know if its just me or not.

Player movement:

Its still a bit icky and stiff, I can't put my finger on it. You tend to stop noticing it after a while, I think maybe because everyone runs the same but players in real life don't, for example, Mane has larger strides and Mo Salah scampers.

Catch up bug:

Seems to be in it a little this year. I couple of times I have ran away with the ball only to be caught up by players who in real life has less speed and then physically bundled off the ball.

But the bigger gripe is...PASSING:

The ball physics are great except for ground passes. The ball starts to move naturally then starts to really slow to a stop quickly like the ball is covered in velcro strips on material, its really fucking odd. They need to introduce more roll and maybe some more bobbles and bounces.

But I am enjoying it.

Catch up bug:

Seems to be in it a little this year. I couple of times I have ran away with the ball only to be caught up by players who in real life has less speed and then physically bundled off the ball.
I've found playing on slow and increasing sprint speed to 58+ and (if you can bear it) acceleration to 51 helps (give yourself a 1 acceleration advantage over the AI to *really* fix it).

But the bigger gripe is...PASSING:

The ball physics are great except for ground passes. The ball starts to move naturally then starts to really slow to a stop quickly like the ball is covered in velcro strips on material, its really fucking odd. They need to introduce more roll and maybe some more bobbles and bounces.
The ball rarely leaves the ground, presumably to encourage slick passing online, but I found playing on slow and boosting pass speed to 57-58 helps remove that velcro feel.

Not making excuses, it's a shame it's like this, and playing online you can't use sliders obviously. But as with everything, sliders can change the game. (I probably wouldn't be playing any football games this year if not for FIFA's sliders - and certainly not in any of the previous 4-5 years.)

I've found playing on slow and increasing sprint speed to 58+ and (if you can bear it) acceleration to 51 helps (give yourself a 1 acceleration advantage over the AI to *really* fix it).

The ball rarely leaves the ground, presumably to encourage slick passing online, but I found playing on slow and boosting pass speed to 57-58 helps remove that velcro feel.

Not making excuses, it's a shame it's like this, and playing online you can't use sliders obviously. But as with everything, sliders can change the game. (I probably wouldn't be playing any football games this year if not for FIFA's sliders - and certainly not in any of the previous 4-5 years.)

Cheers Chris, yeah I've boosted the pass speed a bit. I find playing on light or heavy pitches introduces more bobble too. Its funny because the ball last year was perfect really not sure why they changed it!

Finally worked out how to muscle the CPU off the ball.

R1 is the trap button, so you can knock it up to your striker and play with his back to goal, but it also jostles in 50/50's with the ball to stop you getting shrugged off.

Everyone else probably knew this, but for me it makes Kane have another layer of individuality now.

Seriously i mean, it doesn t make any sense in ultimate to spend 100 hrs playing and making coins if someone will spend 2000 pounds and get the best players already from day one, whats the purpose of playing and immersing yourself in ultimate team to make coins and get the players and build a great team.....seriously EA? Pay to win????!!!

Seriously i mean, it doesn t make any sense in ultimate to spend 100 hrs playing and making coins if someone will spend 2000 pounds and get the best players already from day one, whats the purpose of playing and immersing yourself in ultimate team to make coins and get the players and build a great team.....seriously EA? Pay to win????!!!

That's what it's been about since day one, and one of the reasons why I don't get why people even bother with ultimate team. It's just a sort of gambling scheme made to milk users for money, and I'm sure they're raking in from it.

The lack of fouls in this is ridiculous really. Lucky to get one a game. Also, this new bugged Kick Off take your stats anywhere horse shizzle is a pain in the arse. What was wrong with the way it was. I don't play anywhere other than in my house, FFS.:LOL:

Yeah, I've been tinkering too much with sliders in my time, but generally find that they always mess something up, so it's always best to just adjust to the default sliders one way or the other. It's also insanely time consuming to find an optimal setting that probably isn't even there.

I've set passing to semi assist, through balls to manual, crosses and lobs to manual and shots to semi. Makes the game harder and more interesting. Feels a lot more like the pes of old. Definitely worth a try. :)

I have to agree with the controls. It’s strange because i was playing full manual and finding a few games a struggle to enjoy in lower leagues. Finishing with normally 60% passing.

But i just switched to semi assisted and now the game feels better. I can’t put my finger on it. I thought semi assisted would make it easier but i still get passes going astray and shooting into the stands. In fact one game i finished with about 50% passing.

I actually wonder if the stats at the end are correct. One game i lost 2-1 and it said the cpu had one shot on target. I checked the replays and both were direct goals no deflections or anything. But one of them the cpu curled it in so it was going wide to begin with. Maybe that was not registered as a shot on goal. Makes me think about the passing %.

The lack of fouls in this is ridiculous really. Lucky to get one a game. Also, this new bugged Kick Off take your stats anywhere horse shizzle is a pain in the arse. What was wrong with the way it was. I don't play anywhere other than in my house, FFS.:LOL:

I agree completly re: fouls and Kick Off Mode.

FUT is a strange beast. Like you say, I don't know what the point is in spending a fortune in real cash on a game to win. But that's it...FIFA players are just about winning, whatever it takes.

Saying all that. This game is immense. The more I play, the more in love with it I feel. There are so many different ways of playing, so many cool little touches that EA have added this year.

I want to say it but I don't want to jinx it. But yeah, I'll say it. This could be one of the best football games I have played in decades. I'm hooked.

But the novelty factor could wear off by next week/month so we'll see.

I actually wonder if the stats at the end are correct. One game i lost 2-1 and it said the cpu had one shot on target. I checked the replays and both were direct goals no deflections or anything..

I've definitely seen some passing % bugs, sometimes you get an ingame overlay coming up saying both teams have 100% passing accuracy, I pause and check and the stats screen shows very different %.

One of a long list of bugs in the early access code, we'll see what the "retail" code brings next week I guess...

We've since updated the sliders as of yesterday, so give em another shot. They are more closer to default than ever, so there really isn't any reasoning if comparing to default.

Back
Top Bottom