Votes: 53 25.2%
  • I have already pre-ordered it

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • I'll wait for the sales to get it cheaper

Votes: 30 14.3%
  • I'm still not sure

Votes: 53 25.2%

• Total voters
Finally been to get it after work. Bit worried. Hope it’s what I think it’s going to be. The women at the till didn’t help “$90 for a game, expensive” cringed haha and thought. Yeah it is. Better be good. Just putting the kids to bed and will start it up.

A question about the new tactics. I can set them up before a game, chose formation etc for let's say ultra defensive. But when I go ultra defensive during a match I can't seem to change the players around in that formation. When I pause it still shows my default tactics formation. Is it supposed to be like this?

Are you sure? The way it works for me (PS4) is that before the match, you can use L2 to switch between the 5 mentalities (ultra defensive through to ultra attacking) and set everything for each of them. But during the match, you can only edit the settings for the mentality that you're currently set to.

So, during the match, if you're currently playing with ultra defensive mentality, you can pause and edit all its settings, but you can't press the L2 button to flick between the settings for the other mentalities. So to change the ultra attacking settings, you have to set your team to ultra-attacking in the match, then pause, then edit the settings for that current mentality. But I can definitely move my players around in that setting.

I have to say, the atmospheres and how the crowd reacts to things happening on the pitch is a thing of beauty this year. It's been very stale on this front for years, but this year its excellent. If you're the home team and get pressured, misplace passes etc the home crowd will get on your back, and vice versa if you have a sustained period of pressure. Love it.

Just want to say thanks to @Chris Davies and @goalgerd for honest opinion. Decided to buy the game and I don't regret at all. Can't stop playing it! I modified sliders a little, put all manual, proffesional difficulty and find the game very different from the demo. Just two things bother me, ball physics and first time shooting but all this fall behind when you actually see this, speechless really...
watch it till the end :)

The shooting is an absolute joy. Long shots like that give me a feeling I've not had in years playing football games. The goalkeeper not moving looks brilliant as well.

Ever since FIfa09 I have really enjoyed going to arena and practicing doing the chest flick, so that I could do it in game something silly and fun to do to let a old man knew he still had it with dexterity of the fingers and sharpeness of mind... with no assist by the way , not this year ...lol.

There are so many little "game's within the game's in this gem this year and EA has seemed to up the difficulty in all of them.

These guys made the chest flick more difficult this can not be understated. I will give it about an hour of practice tomorrow and just try to figure it out. I have looked at 3 videos so far none have helped.

The pace blew me away. So surprised EA has slowed the game down to this state very good for offline guys. For a year of development way more presentation pizzaz should have been given to both Serie A and Chinese League.

Lazy EA!!!

Are you sure? The way it works for me (PS4) is that before the match, you can use L2 to switch between the 5 mentalities (ultra defensive through to ultra attacking) and set everything for each of them. But during the match, you can only edit the settings for the mentality that you're currently set to.

So, during the match, if you're currently playing with ultra defensive mentality, you can pause and edit all its settings, but you can't press the L2 button to flick between the settings for the other mentalities. So to change the ultra attacking settings, you have to set your team to ultra-attacking in the match, then pause, then edit the settings for that current mentality. But I can definitely move my players around in that setting.
I thought the dpad left and right during a match flips through the formations that I have set up before the match in gameplan with R2 (or was it L2)?!
Plus dpad up and down gives me more standard tactical stuff like hug the touchline...

Any help is appreciated. :)

have a nice weekend, soccer lads!! :)

Weird question, are there any starhead managers in the game that looks something like Jos Luhukay:

upload_2018-9-29_9-5-16.png

Gonna use the cheat table to change my managers head as none of the generic options look anything close!

guys, why we can t pan the goalkeeper view around to make a pass to a player on the side when it is goal kick, no left and either right stick would move the keeper.... any fix?

I thought the dpad left and right during a match flips through the formations that I have set up before the match in gameplan with R2 (or was it L2)?!
Plus dpad up and down gives me more standard tactical stuff like hug the touchline...

Any help is appreciated. :)

have a nice weekend, soccer lads!! :)

Yes, D-pad left/right is how you switch from Balanced to the Defensive and Attacking mentalities during the match.

But if you want to edit one of those mentalities during the match, such a change the formation of your Ultra-Defensive mentality, you must first use D-pad to set the team to Ultra-Defensive in the match, then pause the match, go into tactics screen and you can now edit the Ultra-Defensive formation, player positions, player instructions, etc.

But you cannot use L2 to switch to the other mentalities in this tactics page during the match in the way you can before the match.

guys, why we can t pan the goalkeeper view around to make a pass to a player on the side when it is goal kick, no left and either right stick would move the keeper.... any fix?

You can do it, but the camera won't follow. Just aim for the player you want to pass to, and you'll pass. I think they did it to make it harder for an opponent player sitting next to you seeing where you'll pass.

Yes, D-pad left/right is how you switch from Balanced to the Defensive and Attacking mentalities during the match.

But if you want to edit one of those mentalities during the match, such a change the formation of your Ultra-Defensive mentality, you must first use D-pad to set the team to Ultra-Defensive in the match, then pause the match, go into tactics screen and you can now edit the Ultra-Defensive formation, player positions, player instructions, etc.

But you cannot use L2 to switch to the other mentalities in this tactics page during the match in the way you can before the match.
Aaaahhhh... now I got it. That’s good to know. Should get fixed, right?!

I’m currently testing only one offensive option as I need to get to know the whole system in detail. Baby steps...

will be keeping an eye on this thread to see if the next patch ruins the game or not. With PES bringing out a gameplay patch soon it'll be interesting to see how that pans out. i'll only buy one game this year and happy to wait another month or so

Still not getting my controller settings saved. I know i'm doing something wrong, but can't seem to figure it out.
Do i delete my profile first?

With regards to ball physics : i played the Caraboa cup final @ Wembley stadium : boy do ground passes look ugly there.
It didn't bother me at first, but in this stadium it is so much more clear, you really see the ball gliding over the pitch on ground passes, even worse than an NHL game!

Other than that still enjoying this game, especially with the lower teams.
FIFA 19 with big teams feels more like 18, it's the lower rated teams that make this game shine.

will be keeping an eye on this thread to see if the next patch ruins the game or not. With PES bringing out a gameplay patch soon it'll be interesting to see how that pans out. i'll only buy one game this year and happy to wait another month or so

Had similar thoughts but decided to buy FIFA anyway. Even if PES manages to fix the AI it will most likely be a partial fix as there are just too many big issues (AI doesn't dribble, low cross spamming, no variety, keepers stuck to the line). As an offline player that really just sticks with Career Mode / Master League that won't really affect the lack of D2. I'm looking forward to taking a 3. or 2. Bundesliga team to the top while enjoying the broadcast package - or maybe Segunda Division. Having loads of stadia and broadcast packages just makes such a huge difference as far as immersion goes. If EA use the Serie A deal to add broadcast packages (maybe as patch) and Serie A Stadia next year than that's it.

May end up getting PES 2019 at some point on the cheap if they manage to fix AI, but the lack of content, game modes, visual elements (don't get me started on the UI), sounds (remember when you could add chant-mp3 files for each team?) just doesn't make it a viable option anymore. It's game with 20 or so iterations, there's no reasonable explanations that it has less features and depth than a decade ago while the rest of the world has moved on.

However no matter who I control and who I play against, in Legendary, the CPU is always magnetically teleporting to the ball and shielding it when I am trying to dribble. So now I have stopped dribbling and just keep passing around. I had around 80% possession one game because I was passing around with Juventus who had good passing players. I just can't dribble without doing skills...

I honestly don't mean to keep singling you out, but your statements come across as if minimalistic dribbling is categorically impossible when it most certainly is not. I feel confident in making such a claim based on dozens upon dozens of hours with the full game (and the demo without sliders) coupled with my own gameplay videos. You don't need a vast array of overly complex skill moves to beat opposition defenders.

PC
This is all from one match in kickoff (Champions League)
Legendary
8 minute halves
Slow
Matt10's first set of sliders that have been slightly modified
Everything except shooting is manual:SAL:

The only RS "skill move" I used besides RS flicks was the la croqueta. Other than that, same ol' stuff that I've been bleating on about.

More to the point, no one can tell me with a straight face that every player in the game feels like Messi (or that Messi is helpless against defenders) because it's just not true. This notion that there's zero distinction between top dribblers and average/poor ones is ridiculous.

Last edited:
The quality of the players/teams seem to make a huge difference in how difficult the game is, I started off struggling in League 2 with Professional/all manual but after the first few months I'd moved to world class/CPU on low passing error/80 marking which was needed to compensate the low quality players to make it challenging. Just started a new CM with Sheffield Wednesday and in the very first pre-season match I was dominated from start to finish and could barely complete a pass or make a tackle.

Guys i m playing with people division rivals, and if they are winning midway through the first half, they can exit the game and still win the match....seriously? Wtf???

Who can provide me the standard stats for a created player in player career mode please?! I I’m currently stuck at the create free agent player screen and don’t want to do it all over again. Appreciate it!!

My plan is to start in 3. Bundesliga and level him up so he might get an offer from a better team. Then I would start a new manager career with that team where he went to. That is possible, right?! :PRAY:

Edit: when I create a player from scratch, should I set him as free agent or directly to the 3. Bundesliga Team (See my future plans above)?!

Last edited:
My plan is to start in 3. Bundesliga and level him up so he might get an offer from a better team. Then I would start a new manager career with that team where he went to. That is possible, right?! :PRAY:
I don't quite understand what you're saying - you can't start a player career and then switch to a manager career when he signs for a team you like. (You can switch from player to manager when you retire, though.)

Nor can you (easily) start managing a club where your created player plays, then switch to manage the club he's moved to - they would need to be looking for a new manager.

one FUT season completed on semi-pro
18 goals conceded, 0 scored

looks like i'll be dropping it down to amateur and work my way up from there.

Had similar thoughts but decided to buy FIFA anyway. Even if PES manages to fix the AI it will most likely be a partial fix as there are just too many big issues (AI doesn't dribble, low cross spamming, no variety, keepers stuck to the line). As an offline player that really just sticks with Career Mode / Master League that won't really affect the lack of D2. I'm looking forward to taking a 3. or 2. Bundesliga team to the top while enjoying the broadcast package - or maybe Segunda Division. Having loads of stadia and broadcast packages just makes such a huge difference as far as immersion goes. If EA use the Serie A deal to add broadcast packages (maybe as patch) and Serie A Stadia next year than that's it.

May end up getting PES 2019 at some point on the cheap if they manage to fix AI, but the lack of content, game modes, visual elements (don't get me started on the UI), sounds (remember when you could add chant-mp3 files for each team?) just doesn't make it a viable option anymore. It's game with 20 or so iterations, there's no reasonable explanations that it has less features and depth than a decade ago while the rest of the world has moved on.

yeah agree fully, iv never come across a company that is constantly regressing with features each year and charging full price at the same time, its a rip off to the extreme, ah well its finally back fired hard on them this year and serves em right no sympathy from my end.

I don't quite understand what you're saying - you can't start a player career and then switch to a manager career when he signs for a team you like. (You can switch from player to manager when you retire, though.)

Nor can you (easily) start managing a club where your created player plays, then switch to manage the club he's moved to - they would need to be looking for a new manager.
so different manager careers are not linked?!
leaving player career aside now. currently creating a new player from scratch.
i want to start a manager career. before that i move my created player to this team. the career as a manager starts.
my player gets better. i play, say, 5 seasons. my player is better now and another CPU team wants this player. me as a manager give it a thumbs up. i sell this player. i save this career and end it.

now i start a new manager career but this time with the team my created player just joined. is that working!? i think you can set the roster to be updated and not to be. so i would go for the non updated version.

i know a manager can not easily swap teams in one career.

don't know if i think to complicated here. :)

edit: if this is not possible im stuck with the combination of team and created player i started with. and that means i have to make the whole team better to play CL against the giants. i just want to use different clubs to level up my created player. climbing up the "best player in the world"-ladder on the back of different clubs to bring my player to glory! :D

Back
Top Bottom