FIFA 17 News & Discussion Thread

After having around 10 good/great games on Fifa 16 ,I returned back to this game again.
A few deal breakers on 16 makes me really dislike it in the long run ,can't stand that 90-95% passing from the CPU in the long run.
Plus free kicks were non existing my last 4 games.
Probably EA throwing in some handicap.

Think I've always preferred 17 after its release Vs 16.
Ball size is no deal breaker.
One thing I noticed is that on Fifa 20 all balls prior looks pretty damn small , obviously more so on 17+18 but size wise Vs 16 it looks a bit smaller as well

After having around 10 good/great games on Fifa 16 ,I returned back to this game again.
A few deal breakers on 16 makes me really dislike it in the long run ,can't stand that 90-95% passing from the CPU in the long run.
Plus free kicks were non existing my last 4 games.
Probably EA throwing in some handicap.

Think I've always preferred 17 after its release Vs 16.
Ball size is no deal breaker.
One thing I noticed is that on Fifa 20 all balls prior looks pretty damn small , obviously more so on 17+18 but size wise Vs 16 it looks a bit smaller as well
19 had the correct ball size already on the release (not the demo).
I tried to import the 19 ball into 17 with frosty editor (beta) and you can see inside the editor that the ball is bigger, but the ball is invisible in game.

As for 16, did you play with the game updated?

19 had the correct ball size already on the release (not the demo).
I tried to import the 19 ball into 17 with frosty editor (beta) and you can see inside the editor that the ball is bigger, but the ball is invisible in game.

As for 16, did you play with the game updated?
Updated ,on console!
But I'm thinking about getting a disc version eventually.
Love the game ,but it's getting a bit stale after a while.
I really like 17 ,think the ai is pretty damn solid there.

Yes ,19 had the right ball size ,I went from 16->20 earlier today that's why I reflected on it

Updated ,on console!
But I'm thinking about getting a disc version eventually.
Love the game ,but it's getting a bit stale after a while.
I really like 17 ,think the ai is pretty damn solid there.

Yes ,19 had the right ball size ,I went from 16->20 earlier today that's why I reflected on it

I would not play 16 updated. They are like two different games.
In my opinion there is two ways to play 16, the extended demo (preferable if you do are able to) and the disc version. 1.01 is already hardly bearable for me.

On the topic, 17 (updated) is really a good game, particularly AI wise. Yes the ball is damn small, but the AI really overbalance this problem.

I would not play 16 updated. They are like two different games.
In my opinion there is two ways to play 16, the extended demo (preferable if you do are able to) and the disc version. 1.01 is already hardly bearable for me.

On the topic, 17 (updated) is really a good game, particularly AI wise. Yes the ball is damn small, but the AI really overbalance this problem.
Yeah it's been my "go to game" on Fifa for a while.

I think 18 is pretty underated as well ,got a lot of stick on release ,but I like it.
A bit pissed off that EA play has 15/16/17/18 removed ,can't understand stand that move ,only reason I got EA play a few years back.
But I'll be buying 16/18 on disc soon enough.

Should really go down your path Pap and get a decent gaming pc.

To be let down by ea and Konami every 4 years?!
:)

The 16 extended demo is the very reason I bought a "gaming PC" (I7 6700k, gtx 1060 3gb, 16 GB of ram) in first place. It was 4 years ago. I don't regret it.
Ha ha:)
I'm getting closer and closer to it.
Though ATM ,I'm pretty happy to be able to play a very good PES 5 on my laptop ,and PES/FIFA 17.

Has PES 18 been decently modded, or for that matter PES 16.
If it wasn't for the shitty keepers on 16 I really liked it.

I am into two modes on this now, the journey which I never in a million years think I'd like , but what do you.know it's grabbed me

A career mode with Liverpool with a challenge of winning the league on full manual quicker than Klopp did...that kind of takes away the old names issue for.me.as it's.like.re writing history in my head

Do you guys not find it far too fast? Like, ridiculously so? I couldn't get past that. I think I have sprint speed in the 20s and acceleration down too.

Also, I really struggle with the magnet-ball feeling - the AI will sometimes do a 360 spin as you press them to prevent you from getting the ball (not a skill love, just a full spin around really quickly). I really don't like that, it feels too cheaty for me.

Do you guys not find it far too fast? Like, ridiculously so? I couldn't get past that. I think I have sprint speed in the 20s and acceleration down too.

Also, I really struggle with the magnet-ball feeling - the AI will sometimes do a 360 spin as you press them to prevent you from getting the ball (not a skill love, just a full spin around really quickly). I really don't like that, it feels too cheaty for me.

The animations are quite choppy with missing frames. Maybe that's making it fast? That's the second biggest issue I have with the game together with the ball size. Apart from that I think passing speed is also a bit too fast in an updated game, maybe sprint too. The only reason to keep playing is the AI really and how ratings matter a bit more than 16.

The only positive of 18 is how they finally made all animations smoother. It was the beginning of the end though in every other department! (ping pong passing, more counter attacking, less of a midfield, nerfed AI defending for the 1st time...).

Last edited:

Too fast, not really. The AI is playing more often froward than in 16 which makes things a bit more end to end. But I find the cpu players usually are keeping a bit more the ball at their foot when there is space, rather than quickly passing the ball. I find the cpu really like minded to me in its approach.

I do hate what you described in the second part. The only way to get the ball back in those situations s to use secondary pressure, but it can look bad. That's the introduction of the sheilding by ea. The physicality in general is a bit meh, but likely the best one since the introduction of the frostshite engine.

I do hate what you described in the second part. The only way to get the ball back in those situations s to use secondary pressure, but it can look bad. That's the introduction of the sheilding by ea. The physicality in general is a bit meh, but likely the best one since the introduction of the frostshite engine
I think that cheat part started with 17 ,and exploded on 18 where the CPU just slides in in front you grabbing the ball.
Not really a deal breaker for me ,I'm more pissed off with 16s 90-94% passing ,I play 15 min qtrs ,and sometimes I can't get hold of the ball for 5-10 FIFA minutes.

Pace is pretty damn solid I think ,37-48 (sprint acc) for me but with a pass speed at 25/30 keeps it really nice.
And camera is also something to look in to ,a broadcast Vs Tele cam plays very differently pace wise.

Like Pap says ,AI being very life-like ,and to me (WC semi passing) a bit sharper when attacking.

Bumped this up to LEG difficulty ,and I think the game feels better than on WC.
My players tend to come out of dribbles winning more ,less "freezing up" when trying to go for the ball.
Only Vs lower ranked teams so far ,and pass percentage the same.
Might go for it.

I'm so used to playing 20 where you can run down the wings easily ,but not here.
Still off and on between this and 16 ,but think I'll stick to 17 for a while

Bumped this up to LEG difficulty ,and I think the game feels better than on WC.
My players tend to come out of dribbles winning more ,less "freezing up" when trying to go for the ball.
Only Vs lower ranked teams so far ,and pass percentage the same.
Might go for it.

I'm so used to playing 20 where you can run down the wings easily ,but not here.
Still off and on between this and 16 ,but think I'll stick to 17 for a while
I couldn't get the ai to play tough on wc. Legendary they do but then i see some bs tough crappy teams

The only problem for me on this game is that it feels too easy. There is too much cutback goals for me.

Funny you say that, I am really struggling on Legendary. I am playing with Liverpool and almost half way to my first season my record is W5 D6 L6.
I have been hammered by Arsenal (3-0) and Man U (4-1) but also by Tottenham and Chelsea.

Funny you say that, I am really struggling on Legendary. I am playing with Liverpool and almost half way to my first season my record is W5 D6 L6.
I have been hammered by Arsenal (3-0) and Man U (4-1) but also by Tottenham and Chelsea.

Can you give me your sliders and which version of FIFA 17 you are using? I want to get hammered by the big teams. That sounds wrong.

@papinho81 since you mess a lot with the Switch files, may i ask you, can you speculate by the db files, FIFA 20 switch edition, what FIFA uses as a base?

For example just by videos, i am pretty sure by looking at the models, that FIFA 19 Switch is based on FIFA 16.

For FIFA 20 legacy edition, i was convinced that it is based on FIFA 17, the menus and the options are pretty much the same , but:

-it keeps in player HUD the power gauge, both in name plates & player indicator (as it was in FIFA 16).
-the gameplay looks as a combination of 17 & 18.
-No 1-vs-1 issues as it is from 19 and latter.
-The ball is bigger than FIFA17 and this is obvious, cause in handheld mode, it would be impossible to see the ball with original 17's size.

Last edited:
Can you give me your sliders and which version of FIFA 17 you are using? I want to get hammered by the big teams. That sounds wrong.

I am playing with the updated version of the game (is there any other version worth of?), default sliders but with the 19in gameplay mod I shared on my thread. I use the default locale.ini but I also use your initfs with
[ADAPTIVE_DIFFICULTY]
ENABLED = 0

In game I play the Legendary difficulty with manual settings, tactical defending with the pro cam. Ah and I use a PS4 controller (you keyboard fanatic :P)

I am playing with the updated version of the game (is there any other version worth of?), default sliders but with the 19in gameplay mod I shared on my thread. I use the default locale.ini but I also use your initfs with
[ADAPTIVE_DIFFICULTY]
ENABLED = 0

In game I play the Legendary difficulty with manual settings, tactical defending with the pro cam. Ah and I use a PS4 controller (you keyboard fanatic :P)
Does the locale file make a difference? I thought in 17 and later it didn't but I'll have to give it a try

@papinho81 since you mess a lot with the Switch files, may i ask you, can you speculate by the db files, FIFA 20 switch edition, what FIFA uses as a base?

For example just by videos, i am pretty sure by looking at the models, that FIFA 19 Switch is based on FIFA 16.

For FIFA 20 legacy edition, i was convinced that it is based on FIFA 17, the menus and the options are pretty much the same , but:

-it keeps in player HUD the power gauge, both in name plates & player indicator (as it was in FIFA 16).
-the gameplay looks as a combination of 17 & 18.
-No 1-vs-1 issues as it is from 19 and latter.
-The ball is bigger than FIFA17 and this is obvious, cause in handheld mode, it would be impossible to see the ball with original 17's size.

I can't really say because I haven't access directly to switch files (I had to request the gameplay file to someone).
But since the switch are based on the ingnite engine I woud say it might be based on 16 (the last ignite game). The gameplay file I tried from the switch were the 21 ones I think, and they would crash the game, I belive because of the two cameras available during freekicks since FIFA17. So the bones are FIFA16 and the flesh is later versions?

[ADAPTIVE_DIFFICULTY]
ENABLED = 0

I have to try FUMA. What I love about this game is that it's always fair. Burnley plays the way you expect them to play. They don't go on a tiki taka Barcelona 2011 madness out of nowhere. Also playing with a smaller team is pretty hard. But anytime I get decent players, it becomes easy.

This is a stretch and a very tough one to answer @Matt10
Do you have any notes/memory how this game played during it's lifetime?
Example ,is vanilla "better" than 1.07 etc.
I'm investigating the sliders thread on OS too ,but I'd thought I'd give it shot checking with you buddy.

And obviously all other input from the community is welcomed.

Last edited:
I was playing the "Hold over" set from OS ,bits changed here and there ,but kept W-L-H/FB/Marking and run frequency as is.
This set is tough as nails ,felt impossible (almost) to break down the back four ,extremely frustrating , especially on Legendary.

So I tried out the v 1.07 set ,only used their WHL/FB/Marking/RF
What a difference , defence line much loser ,you can chip/make a through ball /hit them on a counter attack at times.(same goes for the CPU Vs you)
What a difference.
Pretty much feels like playing a hum opponent.
And keeping pass speed low at 30(ish) and first touch at 60-65 this game shines.

Having a lot of fun playing this now ,from frustration to joy.
Still tough ,but very enjoyable

What's people's opinion on the Journey on 17 , I find it impressive and really engaging if 22 single player career mode is the same I'll get 22 just for that

What's people's opinion on the Journey on 17 , I find it impressive and really engaging if 22 single player career mode is the same I'll get 22 just for that
It is, according to a few news sources (FIFA Infinity on Twitter being one).

I didn't really like it. It was so on-rails in terms of the storyline, written like the worst episode of Eastenders you've ever seen. I got half-way through a season and didn't finish it, because I wasn't invested in the story, I couldn't be "me" and it was just too repetitive.

Luckily, the stuff I did like is what's going into 22 - having a "first team / reserves" rating, having unique objectives and all that.

Is there only one way to play this and it is fully updated? Or is there something like on F16 that we have 1.00/1.01/1.07 to choose from.
These games seem to release in good shape and deteriorate as updates go by. Im talking digital as I have it on Origin
Played a game yesterday and was fun though.

Back
Top Bottom