FIFA 15 News & Discussion Thread

I have ordered via Shopto and also got dispatch note yesterday. Need to nip home at half 2 so will report back if its landed.

The one thing Ive noticed in the demo and hopefully its not the same in the full game is that the AI just wont pass the ball backwards or play it around at the back. Really odd.

Honeymoon period over.

I still think the gameplay is a step up, but there are many flaws and still, I prefer it over Fifa 14 (which I loved). What I am not happy about is the fact that Career Mode is almost 100% untouched. I got about one season in and managed to build a team of:

----------------De Gea----------------
--Rafael -- Laporte -- Varane -- Shaw--
-------------Schneiderlin--------------
-----------Pogba---Ramsey------------
Di Maria-----------------------Reus----
----------------Rooney----------------

Just a few things that annoy me... transfer fees are too low. Players handing in transfer requests for the sake of it (RVP doing it led me to going full muppet in the first place... my intention was to play 'properly'). No incentive to use youth players. All that sort of stuff. Pogba cost me £13m ffs. I know most people will just say don't buy them, but I expect to be able to sign the best players in the game with United, yet I also expect it to take most of my transfer budget.

The saving grace is that the career mode patches on PC for 14 were pretty damn good, but the fact it remains the same is just annoying.

To those saying they don't get the high scorelines or anything else... Are you not seeing defending like the below? And if not, how?

I want to enjoy the game for the goalkeeping and to a lesser extent the more contextual dribbling, but this is what I saw over and over again on the early access version, and I don't understand how some people aren't seeing it (or managing to look past it).

Again, it's not really a case of "learning to defend" when the AI can't defend. The best possible scenario is that you learn to defend and beat the CPU every game because they can't "learn to defend" themselves...

It seems to me these videos are being ignored for the sake of the fancy bits (which don't get me wrong I'd love to see in FIFA 14, but not at the expense of the below).

It's not that I see no good in the game because I TOTALLY do - the ball physics results in some amazing things, they are truly next gen - but I also see this stuff, and it surely outweighs the good.

Had the exact same problem. Now i don't, i keep alot of clean sheets now. Pls do the following tell me if it works.

Difficulty: Legendary

P1/CPU
Sprint Speed 44/44
Accelration 49/48
First touch error 50/60
Passing error 50/60
Run Frequency 50/40

Now use L2/LT when jockying players and even when going in for a standing tackle. Keep on holding the jocky button. I never use X/A jockying.

i enjoyed the demo on ps4 and looking forward to the full version..however there are some mixed reviews, it would be interesting to know who enjoyed FIFA 14 on NG and who thinks this in an improvement...it appears to me but i might be wrong the majority who dont like it are PES fans

I played FIFA 14 NG more than any other football game, ever. By the final few months I was pretty sick of it, mainly because of the defensive AI, but I thought it was an exceptional first next gen effort by EA.

FIFA 15 however is shockingly poor in terms of realism and variety. Yes it looks and sounds realistic, but the football is far from realistic. Yes there's more variety within a match than ever, but all the matches are a simulation of only one type of football.

As I've played this over the last couple days I keep thinking that it reminds me of the FIFA from the PS2 days and why I chose PES back then. Unfortunately PES still reminds me why I chose FIFA last generation, so I have no idea what I'll be doing for a football game this year.

Just seen the posts about shopto above. I had my dispatch email at about 6:30pm last night and it arrived today at around 10:15. So chances are good for people getting it today.

The AI doesn't know how to handle the movement physics of its own defenders (and neither do I, really).

The default no-sprint speed is too slow to keep up with play, so the AI has to apply sprint to have a chance of getting near you. Then once they reach a full sprint with all the momentum that brings, all it takes is the slightest change of direction and - using zee's description - the defender goes careening past on roller skates.

In most of those examples, I think it's less that the AI is choosing not to make a challenge, more that it is just not able to manoeuvre into position to do so.

This also screws them over with regards to tracking runs and one-twos. You release the pass and easily sprint forward. They need half an hour to turn around and get going, by which point you're already in space running onto the return pass, and nobody else has covered.

People on this forum have been boring on about momentum and in****a for literally years, and now this is EA's implementation. Heh.

Maybe you're right, but I'm not sure that's the problem. Or I should say, what you describe is a problem, but I'm not sure it's the main issue with the CPU's defensive problems that are seen in those videos.

For me, the AI is simply really really poor with its defensive decision making. It is now clear as day that when they upgraded the attacking AI two years ago, they've not done enough to ensure the defensive AI is at the same level, leading to a very imbalanced game.

One HUGE issue is the AI sucks at tracking runners. Then even when they do track, for some odd reason they often track them late or too loosely.

Then there's the issue with basic decision making in one-on-one situations. In the video which Kuba has a wide open shot that hits the bar, the Spurs defender does fine maneuvering into position, he just for some reason doesn't attempt to close me down. This is unusual for FIfA and a change from how the AI typically has operated - defenders in FIFA have traditionally been very aggressive in their closing down of us.

The other major issue I see is a total lack of tactical discipline. This is most obvious in the example in which I clear the ball into a wide-open midfield and initiate an easy counter-attack because the entire Spurs midfield committed to the attack and was uninterested in getting back. You also see this all the time with fullbacks getting into attack, but the AI doesn't properly adjust to deal with it's now wide open flanks.

I agree about the problems with User defending having a lot to do with player movement issues, but my interpretation of the terrible CPU defending - again, even on the highest difficulty settings - has to do more with simple AI than anything else.

Got 15 today on XBox1.

Halfway through career mode first season with West Ham and currently…bottom. 2 wins from 17 games and only a couple of draws i think (I have stopped looking at the league table to see how few points i have). Amazingly i haven't been given the sack yet. Playing World class and manual.

I just can't work out defending at all. How the feck do you get the ball off the AI? They just seem to slalom through me. I have defenders going off in all directions for no goddam reason. If it wasn't for the fact that the AI seems to need 4 shots to every goal they score i'd be losing every game by 5 goals. I've copped three 5 goal games and just got reamed by Arsenal 6-3. I'm trying to just shut them out by covering and cutting off passing lanes rather than jumping into tackles but as the AI only seems to want to dribble through me when it gets to the box this doesn't seem to do any good. They just manage to dribble through me. Or i give a fecking penalty tie away. Honestly i have had about 7 given against me. The ai has stupidly missed 4 of them though.

Anyone know how to get defenders to man mark in this game or has that been taken out of the game? In 14 we could assign defenders to mark specific players but i can't work out how to do it with the new menu options in 15.

I have the game on slow speed but there seems to be a real jarring effect between the sharpness of movement of the players and the slowness of the general game. Could just be my eyes playing tricks on me but it seems a bit unbalanced.

Half loving the game and hating it at the moment. Bloody hell!

Last edited:
To those saying they don't get the high scorelines or anything else... Are you not seeing defending like the below? And if not, how?

I want to enjoy the game for the goalkeeping and to a lesser extent the more contextual dribbling, but this is what I saw over and over again on the early access version, and I don't understand how some people aren't seeing it (or managing to look past it).

Again, it's not really a case of "learning to defend" when the AI can't defend. The best possible scenario is that you learn to defend and beat the CPU every game because they can't "learn to defend" themselves...

It seems to me these videos are being ignored for the sake of the fancy bits (which don't get me wrong I'd love to see in FIFA 14, but not at the expense of the below).

It's not that I see no good in the game because I TOTALLY do - the ball physics results in some amazing things, they are truly next gen - but I also see this stuff, and it surely outweighs the good.

To be fair, I'm actually not seeing all high-scoring matches. That's not the issue - it's the amount and ease of chance creation, and the type of matches being played.

What they've done is rather than fix all the defensive AI issues - and they did improve some things - is they took shortcuts and applied a bandaid approach to keep the scorelines realistic. Most notable of all is the increased shot error. And it's not about just us and assisted settings - the CPU misses absolute sitters, wildly at times, for no apparent reason.

The difference between this and 14, again on default settings without sliders, is that while it's easier to create chances, it's more difficult to capitalize on them (for both us and the cpu). So I'm actually seeing lower scorelines and keeping more clean sheets than in 14, despite the poor defending.

So the patch isnt out on XB1 yet, can anyone on the ps4 and with the patch applied tell me if the GKs are less superhuman on medium range shots and if they positioning themselves closer to the goal line so they dont let in shots from midfield?

Defending in this game is broken, even the CPU is shit at it. It is so floaty and weird. How are you supposed to be able to defend against quick turns, I don't get it. Like I'm trying to control an oil tanker at sea.

FIFA 08 had the absolute best off the ball controls in any FIFA game. Really snappy and realistic movement. If they could just go back and play that game and analyse the off the ball movement they would surely realize how much better it was than now.

Played a bit more, thoughts:

- I don't see high scorelines either, playing full manual on Legendary.
- I can kind of stop the CPU from scoring, but it's so unrealistic. Basically I stand off them blocking lanes until they go towards the corner flag, and their crossing is generally poor. Rinse repeat.
- The way they occasionally get out of it is this absurd ability to pass in the opposite direction to where they're going. It drives me bonkers. So, for example, I'll shepherd a winger towards halfway, and facing his own goal he'll ping a perfect, firm pass behind him to his striker, who is of course free on the edge of my box because my CPU teammate is smoking a bowl or whatever.

It's a pity, cause I really like most of the attacking aspects of the game.

My personal belief is that EA don't want us to play CM, or really single player that isn't FUT. They make money off advertising and from Sony/MS if they get us online, and they make money from FUT. And that company is run to make money (obviously all companies are, but you know what I mean).

So why bother investing in CPU AI?

Back
Top Bottom