FIFA 10

Yeah Agree with Gab, the way Chris explains it now seems to imply that when sprinting you still have the set angles, however they are based on your initial "360" direction. However it isnt 22,5 angles (as what we have now) but a range within 22,5 angles. To me that sounds perfect. So in theory you can go from 0 (so straight) to 12 to 15 to 22,5 to 33 to 55,5 (the maximum 22,5 angles). Or any other variant within a range of 22,5degrees.

The current movement (FIFA09) is 0 - 22,5 - 45 - 67,5 - ect, with nothing in between. They have now added per degree freedom for the inbetween movements. The limitation is that you can't sprint in a sharper angle then what was in 09, but to me you shouldnt be able to when sprinting at max speed.

However I can understand why you guys didn't notice it because if you were sprinting and wanted the maximum angle (which most of the time you do to line up as quickly as possible) you would have seen the same angles as 09.

OK, I am very happy again. If this is how it works then I think they've done alot of justice to the 360 dribbling concept.

Also I haven't played much Fifa09 but I felt it lacked goalmouth scrammbles and deflections. Did you have many of these when you did your playtest? Sorry to sound so noobish.
I saw a few - I mentioned one in the podcast, where I did a cross and it came off the back of the head of one of Tim7's players and nearly went in (the goalkeeper performed an amazing reflex save). And there was one where it took a deflection off feet and was heading for the corner, the keeper just managed to get a finger to it. (I'm making the keepers sound superhuman but honestly, they're not!)

One other unique aspect of PES that made me absolutely love the game was the goalmouth scrambles- always so frantic and closing down space was such a chaotic task.
I was looking out for goalmouth scrambles - I did see one during the day, where two or three players were trying to bash the ball in and someone managed to punt it clear.

BTW, excuse my noobishness but what is a daisy-cutter?
A daisy-cutter is a powerful low shot that doesn't lift off the floor (well not more than an inch at least) at any point.

@ The guys regarding the low shots;

How do you determine them? Is it as in 09 and a short tap will give a "low" shot? Is the powerbar more stretched do to it? I found that just giving a tap when wanting a low but powerfull shot felt odd as it was the same for a soft tap into the corner when the goalie came out.
Good question. The split shooting bar model seems to be in place; some guys were hitting some great long-range efforts with dip, but I've been missing Gerrard-style shots so much that they were all I was ever hitting...

I wouldn't say the power bar was stretched, I'd say it just lets you have more power early on. Even when only tapping the button I felt like the low shots had enough power to go in. The only time where a shot felt weak was when I used the finesse shot - they've definitely reduced its effectiveness (which is a great thing obviously). I hit the post with one (the only time I hit the woodwork all day), but the others were a bit rubbish.

Chris the raining weather in FIFA 10 is similar to Euro 2008?
The NDA prevents me from answering that until Wednesday!

Oh I just remember something that I was about to ask you guys from the beginning!

Rutter has said that the AI for the CPU and your own players has been tweaked so that they position themselves better to the ball. For example, instead of position themselves to get the ball as early as possible, they might, if they have space enough, to position so they get as much control of it as possible. Did you notice this?
I did notice this but not every single time. There were times where a midfielder making a forward run would take the ball superbly rather than standing still and waiting for it to reach him, however in the builds we played I did have an instance where the player stood still and was "tiptoeing" waiting for the ball to come down out of the air and bounce (in real-life I'd chest it forward without letting it bounce and run like hell rather than stand there and let the opposition defenders gather round).

Overall it was an improvement though.

Oh and Chris, maybe it's just me, but I think your explanation of how the movement works in sprinting can confuse people (the one that is one the FSB front page). Because it doesn't look like you can change the direction by only 10 degrees when reading that, and Gary said that you can turn any degree between -22½ and +22½ after every touch (making it 45 possible degrees each time).
I've removed my explanation from the site now - this was the explanation I was given by one of the EA people who attended the event though (after Gary's explanation). I'm so confused now so I've left Gary's explanation on the site and left it at that!

However I can understand why you guys didn't notice it because if you were sprinting and wanted the maximum angle (which most of the time you do to line up as quickly as possible) you would have seen the same angles as 09.
It seems really weird to think that that's what must have happened, but... That really is what must have happened.

I really wish we could get another go on it to test it - anybody got free tickets to Gamescom? ;)

How about shots with outside of the foot ? I've heard/read that they were diminished in terms of recurrence but do they have the same animation as I felt on 09 the movement was unrealistic.

Thanks for answering my question Chris :TU:

I'm so hyped about FIFA 10 now. Really great that you guys from here went and played it, because we all seem to want pretty much the same things from the game.

How about shots with outside of the foot ? I've heard/read that they were diminished in terms of recurrence but do they have the same animation as I felt on 09 the movement was unrealistic.

Yeah, they are in but a lot less frequent. IIRC I only saw one all day when Tim was slightly off balance, pressed shoot and scored a nice low powerful shot with the outside of the boot. It looked fantastic in the game. If it wasn't for him being off balance I'm sure his player would have hit the ball full on rather than with the outside of the boot.

How about the players running constantly offside in 2009, are they more alert in 2010 ?

They do seem a lot better in terms of awareness and do run back onside if they are out of position. I didn't see many offsides at all in the 20-25 games played on the day.

I think it was MJ or Tim who noticed a few outside of the foot shots in the earliest build we played, but in the newer build I don't remember seeing any - they might be able to answer you in a bit more depth, I wasn't looking out for it to be honest!

EDIT: MJ has commented above, cheers! :TU:

How about the players running constantly offside in 2009, are they more alert in 2010 ?
I only remember seeing a couple of offsides but again I wasn't specifically looking out for it. It must have been toned down though because the sheer volume of them in 09 pisses me off (and positioning as a whole, especially when it came to regaining the ball, was so much better).

I can't actually think of a single area of the game that hasn't been tweaked and tweaked again - it reminds me of Placebo's question where he asked "what percentage better would you say it is than FIFA 09?" I would say 90%-95% minimum because every single area has had so much work done to it (with 5% left over for the few little niggles we did notice in these early builds such as the "tiptoeing" thing I mentioned).

It really does remind me of the progression of one of the old PES games, times two.

Did we mention the new free kick taker function? When in a set play free kick situation if you press and hold RB/R1 you can quickly select who you want to take the free kick. A small change, but made such a difference.

Did you guys try to move the wall? Would be nice to see what happens if you move the wall so that the keeper can't see the ball. I wonder if his reaction time will be delayed or if it isn't that dynamic in how the keepers work.

Edit: Also if you did move the wall, did the keeper also move to cover new open space? For example, the game always cover the nearest post, but if you moved the wall to cover the other post, do the keeper switch side?

Another thing that would be cool is if you could add/remove players from the wall, so if you remove he run away to cover a player or when you add someone runs to the wall. This won't be in but it would be pretty sweet.

Last edited:
Cheers mj, if I were you guys I'd be fed up with all the questions now but you keep going and this is really appreciated

RT and LT moves the wall, yes :)).

There were a lot more goalmouth scrambles I noticed, and with defenders being so desperate to get anything in the way to block the ball they were just so realistic and exciting!

Yeah, they are in but a lot less frequent. IIRC I only saw one all day when Tim was slightly off balance, pressed shoot and scored a nice low powerful shot with the outside of the boot. It looked fantastic in the game. If it wasn't for him being off balance I'm sure his player would have hit the ball full on rather than with the outside of the boot.

Good stuff. I got sick of every other shot being hit with the "outside" of the boot as It doesn't happen that often in real life.

Question: When you mistime a slide-tackle by a couple seconds on 09, the ref brandished red card - despite your opponent actually staying on his feet (he just takes a little stumble).

The ref usually played advantage, and then you got shown a red card when the ball went out of play. Your reaction was always "WTF!? When did this happen?... red card?!"

Did we mention the new free kick taker function? When in a set play free kick situation if you press and hold RB/R1 you can quickly select who you want to take the free kick. A small change, but made such a difference.
A small but very useful change. :APPLAUD:

Can you change throw-in takers or corner takers as well?

@mjsmith2k and Chris Davies

thanks for the very fast answer !

Question about the custom tactics: is it still possible to play with 7-8 defenders ? Because I found that very lame. I liked the Idea in Ultimate Team where you could chose only from the standard tactics.

Last edited:
A small but very useful change. :APPLAUD:

Can you change throw-in takers or corner takers as well?
I think you can use it to change corner takers, not sure about throw ins though.

Question about the custom tactics: is it still possible to play with 7-8 defenders ? Because i found that very lame. I liked the Idea in Ultimate Team where you could chose only from the standard tactics.
We didn't experiment at all with custom tactics unfortunately.

I think you can use it to change corner takers, not sure about throw ins though.

I'd be surprised if you can't, because it'd be pointless that they've implemented giant throw trait (a la Delap and a few others) and then not let you use them when you want them.....

With corners and free kicks you could definitely change who you wanted to take it, by holding RB/R1. I don't think you can with throw-ins though.

Question: When you mistime a slide-tackle by a couple seconds on 09, the ref brandished red card - despite your opponent actually staying on his feet (he just takes a little stumble).

The ref usually played advantage, and then you got shown a red card when the ball went out of play. Your reaction was always "WTF!? When did this happen?... red card?!"

There were definitely less of these types of situations happening. The ref seemed to be a little more forgiving for clips and bumps and the advantage rule was used a lot better. Also, in terms of collision detection, players didn't seem to be put off in the same way as 09, e.g. a late tackle that just clips the heels, or a soft tackle that puts your player off balance didn't drastically have an effect on the game. For example, it seemed more realistic when someone was to clip Rooney's heels and he would just shrug it off and carry on running. Of course it was a late tackle and a foul, but Rooney kept possession and carried on so the ref allowed for that. I think also the AI were more responsive in that they would jump over or avoid mistimed tackles a lot more, so the only time you would get booked would be if it was a really poor tackle and a blatant swipe at a player. There appeared to be no more situations like this where you would be carded 5 mins later once the ball was out of play, if it was worthy of a card you would get it there and then.

Was playing 09 last night and, not sure if this has been covered already by Chris (too much to read to keep up), but does FIFA10 still remember what key you pressed for a couple of seconds after you pressed it.

For example, you press shoot to boot the ball clear, but nothing happens, play moves for a couple of seconds and you now see a good opportunity to pass, so press pass, but it still remembers you presseed shoot, so boots the ball clear, leaving you looking like an arse and your team-mates moaning "wtf are you doing!?".

Was playing 09 last night and, not sure if this has been covered already by Chris (too much to read to keep up), but does FIFA10 still remember what key you pressed for a couple of seconds after you pressed it.

For example, you press shoot to boot the ball clear, but nothing happens, play moves for a couple of seconds and you now see a good opportunity to pass, so press pass, but it still remembers you presseed shoot, so boots the ball clear, leaving you looking like an arse and your team-mates moaning "wtf are you doing!?".

Not been mentioned...but...this is why super cancel is here. That clears the last command.

Not been mentioned...but...this is why super cancel is here. That clears the last command.

That is supposed to clear the last command. It's about as reliable as a Fiat.

I'm sure there was talk of PES09 having introduced something that quickly forgot your last command as soon a play moved on. Not sure if it ever transpired and how well it worked. Anyone here actually bother buying PES09 who can report?

Don't know if you also noticed this but for instance when a player makes a foul and the referee lets plays on in order to book him later, if we get by half time or full time the player is never booked.
Has any of guys who played FIFA10 noticed something like that by chance ?

With corners and free kicks you could definitely change who you wanted to take it, by holding RB/R1. I don't think you can with throw-ins though.

Then hopefully only the full backs would take the throw ins as it does pain to see in 09 attacking players making throws when the full back should do it.

Thanks all for the great efforts! I have another important question:

In Fifa 09, everytime you cross or have a corner, your team is so vulnerable to counterattacks. As I've fonud in the game, your midfielders will be too offensive or too deffensive, but there's always a great hole in the middle of the pitch when you are attacking and a clearance si done.

Besides, and that is one of the things that break the game in my oppinion, your opponent's striker, while you attack is always completely unmarked. I mean, when your opponent gains possession, and it doesn't matter the conditions, they can always do a long low pass to the striker that always happen to be alone and receive the ball in the midfield. It doens't matter if you have 3 defenders, they are going to be some meters away so the striker always receives the ball comfortably. I've tried man marking, custom tactics, etc... but this always happens.

Did you find a more realistic positioning about this? I mean, if there's one striker and 3 defenders, he shouldn't receive at all the ball comfrotable, let alone be unmarked. In Fifa 09 everytime I cross and don't end the play in a goal or corner or goal kick, I fear the opponent simply pass to the striker (even from within the area and surrounded by other players), thus making counters so easy. That's why most of the time it doesn't pay to build up play.

And this leads me to another question: are defenders able to do clinical precise passes even in difficult situations? I mean, insider the own area, surrounded by opponents, can they still do 20 meters long passes effortlessly? Does "urgency" or "opponent pressure" affect precision?

I know the answers may come by playing the game to death, but maybe you found some hints about it in your playtime.

Thanks in advance!

There were definitely less of these types of situations happening. The ref seemed to be a little more forgiving for clips and bumps and the advantage rule was used a lot better. Also, in terms of collision detection, players didn't seem to be put off in the same way as 09, e.g. a late tackle that just clips the heels, or a soft tackle that puts your player off balance didn't drastically have an effect on the game. For example, it seemed more realistic when someone was to clip Rooney's heels and he would just shrug it off and carry on running. Of course it was a late tackle and a foul, but Rooney kept possession and carried on so the ref allowed for that. I think also the AI were more responsive in that they would jump over or avoid mistimed tackles a lot more, so the only time you would get booked would be if it was a really poor tackle and a blatant swipe at a player. There appeared to be no more situations like this where you would be carded 5 mins later once the ball was out of play, if it was worthy of a card you would get it there and then.
Oh right, that clears things up. Thanks.

The response times were so good that there was never an opportunity for this to happen. You press the button and the player does it, end of story (unless you're sprinting, in which case he'll do it when he catches up with the ball obviously).

So the circumstances that would allow this to happen didn't exist in the builds we played (or at least it didn't happen to any of us throughout the event that I was aware of).

Don't know if you also noticed this but for instance when a player makes a foul and the referee lets plays on in order to book him later, if we get by half time or full time the player is never booked.
Has any of guys who played FIFA10 noticed something like that by chance ?
I might be wrong but I'm sure this happened during the event. I remember Tim saying "did he book him, did he book him" and then it was half time.

Could be wrong though, Tim will have to confirm!

In Fifa 09, everytime you cross or have a corner, your team is so vulnerable to counterattacks. As I've fonud in the game, your midfielders will be too offensive or too deffensive, but there's always a great hole in the middle of the pitch when you are attacking and a clearance si done.

Did you find a more realistic positioning about this?
Player positioning all over the pitch seems much more realistic. I can remember one counter-attack from a corner, which seemed realistic (I've seen it happen in real football several times), but that was it.

There was certainly no end-to-end "oh look all the players have gone, that was kind of them" style of play. You only had the opportunity to counter when you would in reality.

And this leads me to another question: are defenders able to do clinical precise passes even in difficult situations? I mean, insider the own area, surrounded by opponents, can they still do 20 meters long passes effortlessly? Does "urgency" or "opponent pressure" affect precision?
Not 100% sure, like you said I think you'd need more time playing the game to give a real answer. But I did notice clearances seemed to be more like a clearance and less like a long-range pass, if you know what I mean.

Any long throws,Delap style?
Yes, people have mentioned it since, but I didn't experiment with it - completely forgot. :DOH:

What about when the opposition gets a freek kick 40-50 yards out? Does the game still give you a two man wall of your centre halves? Leaving you exposed at the back.

When playing against the computer, how as the AI? I'll be playing the majority of next year offline unfortuntately, so I'm praying its a million times better than last years.

What about when the opposition gets a freek kick 40-50 yards out? Does the game still give you a two man wall of your centre halves? Leaving you exposed at the back.
I didn't look out for it but I remember someone winning a free-kick against me that far away and I didn't notice a two-man wall. Don't take that as a definite though because as I say I wasn't looking out for it.

When playing against the computer, how as the AI? I'll be playing the majority of next year offline unfortuntately, so I'm praying its a million times better than last years.
We all played against the AI, in-fact we even did 2 v AI at one point. It was much more enjoyable - playing FIFA 09 now (I had to, I couldn't resist) I'm getting so pissed off.

I'm noticing so much that I haven't mentioned in the podcast (I'll have to do a follow-up soon with an interview from one of the other guys who went to the Emirates that day).

This is just a sample of what's happening to me in FIFA 09 that wasn't happening in the FIFA 10 builds we played...

A) Every pass that goes within so many feet of the CPU is automatically picked up, you can't skim a pass past them - they're like a machine. Wasn't happening in FIFA 10.

B) Go near the CPU player and you get bumped off the ball, you just can't fucking touch them. You have to stay in space for 90 minutes, try going near them with the ball and the response times restrict you from doing anything but let them barge into you and run off with the ball. Doesn't happen like that in FIFA 10.

C) Every shot is going over the bar, and when you do manage to score one (even if it's a "cracker") you watch the replay and the ball hangs in the air all of the time which makes it so much less realistic and so much less satisfying. Shooting is so much better in FIFA 10 - you're not scoring belters every game but you can actually hit a shot and believe the path it takes.

D) Manual has definitely changed, especially the passing. I don't know what they've done with it but in 09 I'm getting really, really pissed off. I'm hitting a lot of passes straight out of play whereas in the builds of FIFA 10 we played it felt so much less frustrating (not that it was "easier" as in the game is going easy on you, more that it is easier to control if you see what I mean, keeping it realistic).

(Incidentally, B is pissing me off the most, and I'm so relieved I don't have to put up with this kind of shit any more.)

Back
Top Bottom