eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

The demo is the actual answer surely?
For sales in general, yes.
But whats easier? Buy it digital or physical?
20% was specific raise in physical copies, not sales in general. Part if it must be obviously the demo itself, but there is a chunk of people who went to buy the disc after they heard that disc version is better than both demo and patched game
(Myself included)

Thing is though, you can only go so far with the power before the game turns it into a high shot, you can't max out the power bar and hit a low shot.

They'd have to move sprint to a trigger to do that though, which I think is unlikely.

Which is absolutely true of most footballers as well. You need pretty small feet to hit the ball with full power and not have it rise. Powerful low shots are essentially the hardest to save in most circumstances for a keeper and so they should be the most difficult to pull off well (good timing and power judgement).

For sales in general, yes.
But whats easier? Buy it digital or physical?
20% was specific raise in physical copies, not sales in general. Part if it must be obviously the demo itself, but there is a chunk of people who went to buy the disc after they heard that disc version is better than both demo and patched game
(Myself included)
Or maybe because physical copy can be sold as second hand if it fails completely

They'd have to move sprint to a trigger to do that though, which I think is unlikely.

Yeah. Sad, though. Move "sprint" to a trigger and remove the manual direction button to give another modifier. Problem solved.

Or maybe because physical copy can be sold as second hand if it fails completely
...which was the case in all previous years also. Yet the jump is significant this year.
Im not trying to argue here and pretend I know more than I do, but I bought it on the disc for exact reason to have a failsafe to go back to, after I heard disc version is so good
And I cant be the only one who did this.

PS4 standard, digital version, patch 1.2 and pes universe OF
View attachment 20027
League mode, first old firm derby, notice the fouls, particularly Rangers playing as AI. One of those fouls was out on the wing, subsequent free kick lobbed in for Edouard to head the equaliser. Very tight game as you can see, but full of action as Rangers went all out attack the whole game.

View attachment 20029

Champions league match day 3, the first of the ‘double header’. Eden Hazard, gets a straight red card, first time I have seen that in pes since about 2013, where an AI player gets his marching orders. It was a forward’s foul too and 10 mins later the player he tackled sat down on the pitch and had to be subbed, wow!

View attachment 20028
The final score after another rip roaring game. Hazard banned for the return match, I hope to at least draw again, or even sneak wee 1-0 home win and qualify out of the group that has these five star lot, a four stars benfica and 3 star trabzanspor in it.

As you can see from the stats and results, the standard digital version with patch 1.2 really does have hidden depths once you get into it.

So far I am loving it, and for the first time in a decade I bought on day one, and so far not regretted it.

Update:- Playing at professional level with a mix of assisted and manual shooting, not quite made my mind up about that yet.

Just a wee update for anyone who may have read this and are curious to know the outcome of the next few games.

Well I managed to get another 2-2 draw at home with Real Madrid, giving us identical head-2-head records vs each other, meaning we get separated on goal difference only. I lost the next game away to Benfica, but what a game, don't mind that I lost it really, because I had a great match.

I battered them, their goalie was superb and their counter attacking was sublime too. Eventually they got their single winning goal then shut up shop that's why I was able to batter the door in all the rest of the game and the physics and contact football in that game was a joy.

Oh well, I have finished 3rd in the group, 5 points above the 4th place team with one game left against said bottom team, so it's Europa League knockout after Christmas, just need to play the next dozen or so matches in the league before that and see how they go.

Total joy for me this game is, I never thought I would ever like or praise a PES game again.

...which was the case in all previous years also. Yet the jump is significant this year.
Im not trying to argue here and pretend I know more than I do, but I bought it on the disc for exact reason to have a failsafe to go back to, after I heard disc version is so good
Yeah. I don’t contradict your thought, I just add an extra motive. ;)

That's something, at least. Midway through my season and the Scottish Premiership table is realistic-ish so far.

But worrying about the gameplay. I haven't experienced it yet but will keep a close eye. What has me concerned is the sheer disparity in some results on Top Player. I've been having some great matches against the better sides in the league and Europa League matches, but I'm blowing away some of the fodder in the league. Like, absolutely battering them. 6-0 and the like. It's an unrealistic swing.
It's where I am. I just dropped it to Top Player, thinking I'll try and enjoy it. I can't. Like you say, I just won 5-1 against Burnley without even trying. And that's just as frustrating to me as the script in Super Star.

There needs to be a difficulty between Top Player and Super Star for Master League. The sciprting is INSANE this year, absolutely unbearable.

I'm going to keep the game this year rather than trade it and see what updates happen at some point down the line, and also I'll wait for a full option file to happen.

I was in the same boat as you EmEs, to buy a physical copy and backroll to 1.0, but I live with a 2-years old bulldozer monster and anything with physical form is in great danger!! :P

I didn't mate, think that's worth a try then?
Never tried it on 20, since on new cam, full manual, no radar or power ball - i find Professional/Top Player being challenging enough.
But I played some matches on 19 back in the day and I thought Legend was nicer to play than Superstar. I stopped eventually, coz of the insane AI pressure on Legend, which together with my PA0 was way too stressfull an exhausting.. but it wasnt as frustrating as SS and there still was some AI error there.

Yes he is. Please don’t start the last year thriller again (Gervinho).
ahhahahaah you remembered!

yes that was crazy, finnaly found him at a fake team,god knows how that happened!

no i only ask about sancho as would prefer him in fake dortmund team as a legit player rather than user created

I keep reading comments about tactics being 'wrong' etc. I haven't got an issue with CPU tactics this year, they're absolutely fine. The issues are elsewhere. In my ML save, Everton came to Old Trafford to defend. They sat in a low block and wanted to counter attack me which is realistic I guess. The issue is with the actual coding - when Everton are in that low block, it's IMPOSSIBLE for me to score if the CPU has pre-determined that the outcome is for me to NOT score and essentially struggle & lose. One instance: I had Rashford ready to tap into empty net and for NO reason at all, he goes with his wrong foot and decides to pass it to Pickford. That's not a tactics issue, that's just the game saying "You're playing on Super Star, you WILL NOT SCORE regardless of what you try."

ahhahahaah you remembered!

yes that was crazy, finnaly found him at a fake team,god knows how that happened!

no i only ask about sancho as would prefer him in fake dortmund team as a legit player rather than user created
I imported BvB from pesworld and in the starting XI the 10 we’re legit players with mini face. Almost more than 50% of bvb are official players.

I keep reading comments about tactics being 'wrong' etc. I haven't got an issue with CPU tactics this year, they're absolutely fine. The issues are elsewhere. In my ML save, Everton came to Old Trafford to defend. They sat in a low block and wanted to counter attack me which is realistic I guess. The issue is with the actual coding - when Everton are in that low block, it's IMPOSSIBLE for me to score if the CPU has pre-determined that the outcome is for me to NOT score and essentially struggle & lose. One instance: I had Rashford ready to tap into empty net and for NO reason at all, he goes with his wrong foot and decides to pass it to Pickford. That's not a tactics issue, that's just the game saying "You're playing on Super Star, you WILL NOT SCORE regardless of what you try."

Oh perhaps just the new miss-kick system, combined with how much power you chose and the angle you aimed at, meant he/you just bottled the shot?

Oh perhaps just the new miss-kick system, combined with how much power you chose and the angle you aimed at, meant he/you just bottled the shot?
I can accept that, sure.

But what about every other match I'm playing where Martial and Rashford turn into League One players? They can't run all of a sudden, they misplace every single pass etc. It just gets farcical. I want the challenge, don't get me wrong. But the scripting when playing on SS in ML this year is simply making the game a chore rather than a pleasurable experience.

Again, I play matches in exhibition and they're wonderful experiences, exactly how a football video game should play. As soon as I fire up my ML save - the game just gets ridiculous.

correct!
the whole system is not perfect. and yes, i think a dedicated button input after you powered up the bar would work fine!

think i just make the best out of what is offered. thats my nature i guess. :D

@fefepes i saw him in a video one users posted today! so i guess he's in!
edit: yes, @hitmanuk did: https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/e...hread-ps4-xbox-one.80779/page-94#post-3435021
at min. 31 you can have a look at "cutting edge/in" Sancho!

[USER=21611]@Matt10
man, glad you own the game now. gotta keep an eye on your twitter and evo comments! let us know!![/USER]

Oh yeah I get that, just talking ideal scenarios :))

Which is absolutely true of most footballers as well. You need pretty small feet to hit the ball with full power and not have it rise. Powerful low shots are essentially the hardest to save in most circumstances for a keeper and so they should be the most difficult to pull off well (good timing and power judgement).

Oh yeah absolutely, but I want the option to try it and if the timing and judgement is off then I want that reflected in how the shot plays out. Again, not to start a comparison, the other game replicates this well with its dedicated shot modifier. Shots often skew wide when you use it but you have the control that you know you decided on that direction and power rather than the game trying to assume what my intention is. It limits control and over-simplifies the shooting system.

It's where I am. I just dropped it to Top Player, thinking I'll try and enjoy it. I can't. Like you say, I just won 5-1 against Burnley without even trying. And that's just as frustrating to me as the script in Super Star.

There needs to be a difficulty between Top Player and Super Star for Master League. The sciprting is INSANE this year, absolutely unbearable.

I'm going to keep the game this year rather than trade it and see what updates happen at some point down the line, and also I'll wait for a full option file to happen.

As silly as it may sound, playing with crap teams is the answer. I'm in my second ML season and have assembled a pretty strong team, winning every match more or less in the second season. The first season with the default guys and some youngsters was great though. Top player.

I don´t know why people praise the possibility of sliders. To be honest, though it is a great idea and great adiction, it was one of the things that i hated about the other game. The option to change gameplay was awesome, but when I realised, forums and youtube etc were filled with slider versions, and instead of playing a straight career mode and having fun with it, I was constantly spinning my head looking for the perfect set. It´s literally a rabit hole, and even when you have a very good set, there´s always a specific match were things fall apart because of scripting.

You might say of course, "if you don´t like it, don´t use them", wich is true. But trust me, this leads to a community issue as well, because soon or later, people will be playing diferent "versions" of the game. And you may bet also, as soon as sliders come, Konami will stop listening to the offline comunity. After all, if you want a better experience, you can do it yourself with your beloved sliders.

Honestly, I hope Konami will never go that route. It leads to a total loss of identity, specially from now on, when it looks like konami have moved on the right direction.

I don´t know why people praise the possibility of sliders. To be honest, though it is a great idea and great adiction, it was one of the things that i hated about the other game. The option to change gameplay was awesome, but when I realised, forums and youtube etc were filled with slider versions, and instead of playing a straight career mode and having fun with it, I was constantly spinning my head looking for the perfect set. It´s literally a rabit hole, and even when you have a very good set, there´s always a specific match were things fall apart because of scripting.

You might say of course, "if you don´t like it, don´t use them", wich is true. But trust me, this leads to a community issue as well, because soon or later, people will be playing diferent "versions" of the game. And you may bet also, as soon as sliders come, Konami will stop listening to the offline comunity. After all, if you want a better experience, you can do it yourself with your beloved sliders.

Honestly, I hope Konami will never go that route. It leads to a total loss of identity, specially from now on, when it looks like konami have moved on the right direction.
I'm with you here. Sliders aren't the answer. They don't fix the key issues, they paper over the cracks.

I can accept that, sure.

But what about every other match I'm playing where Martial and Rashford turn into League One players? They can't run all of a sudden, they misplace every single pass etc. It just gets farcical. I want the challenge, don't get me wrong. But the scripting when playing on SS in ML this year is simply making the game a chore rather than a pleasurable experience.

Again, I play matches in exhibition and they're wonderful experiences, exactly how a football video game should play. As soon as I fire up my ML save - the game just gets ridiculous.

Well, again, I've not needed to try SS so I can't comment directly on it, but these sound more like tired/low morale/low familiarity with tactics and team effects you get in the Master League on other levels. What control settings do you use? I, for a long time ignored manual passing and took the challenge from the game, but when it got too easy/predictable, I moved to full manual passing and started from scratch. I've not needed to move past Professional yet (this year or last) using the crappy Master League default team and it's been a joy to play.

If you want the challenge it might be that you can find it elsewhere in the game rather than just from the AI itself?

I can accept that, sure.

This in a nut shell is my experience. I am sick of my players turning to slow running in treacle weak shite when the CPU decides that I will lose a match. If my players are off form and I am also playing shite then that I 100% accept. BUT.... when my players are in good form, we have won the last few games (a miracle I know) and suddenly I dominate the ball but lose 3-0 because the AI decided to? Yeah that is where I draw the line.

Me and @fefepes are on about the functionality allowing you to fake passes/shots with it, not the movement of players off the ball... This is objectively broken compared to 2019 and previous iterations. Same as L2+L1+Double tap O now not doing a manual low cross - no idea how they've managed to break stuff that worked fine last year.

And MyClub a great mode?... lol
I already have almost an entire 90+ rated team having never played one match of it. No sense of progression and every match online would be the cheesiest PA3 100mph joke football imaginable with all the most overpowered players. Pretty much the antithesis to what I'd consider a "great mode". Whatever floats your boat I suppose...

Never seen any acknowledgment of it, and yes I think it works fine offline.

There's issues with the game in general, like there is every single year and like there is with Fifa too and so when yu enter the online world you'll find plenty of people exploiting any little hole. The thing for me is that I've been playing PES online since around 2011 and offline just doesn't provide the same buzz anymore as what online or playing with real people does.

We could sit and go into the issues of myClub. I don't disagree that top teams are quite easy to build. I think they need to find a bit of a balance of somewhere in the middle, not scaling it back too much either. And like I said before, 90+% of games online have players that exploit any holes or weaknesses or cheap stuff that the game have in it. They drive me up the wall to be honest but that doesn't mean that there aren't genuine players out there too. Quite a few people would drop down to lower level teams over the last few years to avoid the 5* spamming teams that would play sweaty for 90 minutes. I spend most of my time around the 2 and 3* rated levels.

myClub needs plenty more additions IMO, far from a perfect mode but it's the go to mode for me personally. There's good stuff in there such as scouts, building up players, building team chemistry etc. I think they need to introduce more little things and continue to grow on what's fundamentally a very good mode. Obviously if it's not for you then that's completely up to you, it all comes down to personal preference but as somebody that has played it consistently for years I know for a fact that's a good amount of good, fair players in myClub among the dreadful sweaty ones.

Well, again, I've not needed to try SS so I can't comment directly on it, but these sound more like tired/low morale/low familiarity with tactics and team effects you get in the Master League on other levels. What control settings do you use? I, for a long time ignored manual passing and took the challenge from the game, but when it got too easy/predictable, I moved to full manual passing and started from scratch. I've not needed to move past Professional yet (this year or last) using the crappy Master League default team and it's been a joy to play.

If you want the challenge it might be that you can find it elsewhere in the game rather than just from the AI itself?
It's just bad coding IMO. It's a lazy way of ramping up the difficulty.

If I go out to the park to play football this evening with low morale and I'm tired, I still tap the ball into an empty net with ease. It's typical Konami BS when it comes to ML.

Back
Top Bottom