eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

it's 18.5% up on physical sales compared to PES 2019. when you take into account PES 2019 was 42% down on physical sales compared to PES 2018... yeah, not really that impressive to be up when compared to PES 2019.
I'd call it a start, A pretty decent one and stopping the huge downfall thats been happening each year. Onwards and upwards.

What the hell, seriously?

He quite clearly means that you had a very vocal group of people complaining about the demo - and now you have a louder group of people wanting the demo back.

So, they almost don't know what to do, and to please both, there has to be a balance.

Nothing to do with eSports. The eSports guys are complaining about a complete lack of fouls, like we are.

Jesus. Sometimes we jump on things way too quick.

With all respect Chris, the game is designed every year with eSports and online players as their man focus, hell, they even changed the name of the damn game to eFootball.

You can understand the delicacy in finding a balance between the demo which had fouls galore (including loads that weren't fouls) and 1.02 which barely has any, even when there's GBH, but every single year the retail changes drastically from the demo, and that's purely to suit the online crowd who spend money on esports and myClub.

Why else would they ignore everyone that said 'dont change the pace whatever you do' and make it faster, which it absolutely has, they've upped 'responsiveness', made it zippier, made every CPU team pressure insanely, they've done everything they always do to a decent demo - 'Onlined it' as in dumbed it down to fast frantic, simple, 'fun' football that those kids like to play.

I called it months ago, I called it when we had the demo, and everyone was raving about it saying DO NOT CHANGE IT, and here we are, a week after release and again the community is split and we have a game which does not resemble the product that was showcased in the demo.

Every. Damn. Time.

The solace to this is that PES20 is a damn fine game, and I'm still very much enjoying it, but its not the jaw-dropping, free, random, realistically paced, intelligent game that was demo'd to us.

Back to Pea19 we go, familiar ground, 'safe' settings for all. All the good elements will slowly fade away.

Unfortunately - issue started before that, when people screamed about the demo.
They should have left it as it was and in time just fix glaring bugs that would surfaced.
I was begging people to stop complaining about fouls, that could be minimised with learning how to defend.
I begged people to stop complaining about AI, that would probably act completely different with Master League Script, Team Spirit and Legend Difficulty.

Now we entered a phase where fixing one thing breaks another and fixing that thing breaks it further. Phase where everything, like ball randomness, errors, stamina and physicality is getting butchered.

Hope Im wrong but Im afraid ill be deleting the game and installing 1.0 sooner than expected.
I did just that last night. Deleted everything and installed fresh from disc (without internet connection). Played 2 matches I played in the demo a lot and compared them to 1.0! :D
I’m currently playing a cup with ManUnited and will start a ML in the Scottish league tonight.
I have to pass on the option file for now but that’s ok for me! :D

Let’s see why update 1.3 brings to the table. Is there a rough date when it will hit PS4?

Playing full manual, keepers do what I want now! The demo was broken in that regard (PA1 worked though).
So now I’m playing nice lofted balls to the left and right, hammer straight full power out of my hands into the strikers run way, and more! :)
And: Rolling the ball out or doing overhead throws do work as well.

Aren’t you playing manual as well?!

More the CPU keepers I was meaning. Some of the kicking is faaaar too precise!

Following on from my whinge as the game released, here’s where I am after a week or so. Has it been that long? Jeez..

Do I still hate it? Yes but with a huge caveat. I hate it because I’m so close to loving it.

To explain, there are a few issues that leave me frustrated and that boils up to hatred and the immortal ‘switch off and fuck this’ approach. A brilliant and timeless approach to all things.

I’m still not happy about tackling, or the AI free kick wondergoals. But not game breaking.

I still feel like lofted pass has been tinkered with since the demo, passing in general feels that way to me. Damn you pass assist levels.

The AI hurts my eyes at times, lots of standing still going on, or running straight into my path (a common issue in PES). If you fancy an extra special kind of AI torture, spend some time in the ‘crossing’ training tutorial. As you watch your teammate run outside the zone, or attempt an overhead kick for no reason.

But all of this is overshadowed by my biggest issue. Player switching. It has given me all the diseases so far. On one occasion I was under the kosh and had to resort to a sweaty goal to get back level, I know, there is no pride in that. Played it across the 6 yard box with a standard ‘x’ pass to a Captain Cheekbones himself Gabriel Jesus. Rather than letting me select him the ball bounced off his leg to safety as I’m desperately smashing the buttons to get control of him. My two midfielders on the d seemed in a better place apparently. That’s what needs tweaking for me to get into this game, other issues I can live with.

It’ll be like going to a bar and you see that Tiffany from Eastenders, she’s giving you the eye and you sidle over to her. But instead you find your conversation being directed at Robbie and Bianca (or worst of all Sonya with her bloody horn). It’s just frustrating, there’s Tiff the biff all dolled up and ready for love, but you can’t because you’re stuck talking to the Jacksons. To be fair it’s been a while since I watched Eastenders so these characters could be outdated. But that’s like player switching, it’s a game ruiner for me. If they can improve that I reckon I can love this game in time.

So right now I’m still on hate, but I’m not far away from changing it to love. There’s no middle ground with me, I’m either balls deep or thumb up the arse. Thumb status is currently not pretty.

That was my update. Tune in next time when I bang on about how Santos always have half a squad and point fingers at the sound team at Konami who are literally stealing a living.

I don't know, I already see where this is going if they try, as usual, to please everyone.

1.0 people could play that anyway, but if they screw up 1.2 for me and for others that then that's it. And this time I'll genuinely be mad.
They'd just need to make people choose between updates. Or to stick to their vision without try to find half ways.

Feedback is good in theory, but building a game off of it goes against logic and vision. If they could just Ask "Does this [occurrence] represent football?". If it does, add it, if it doesn't, don't. EA lost their vision of 20 due to too much feedback, I fear the same can happen here.

But all of this is overshadowed by my biggest issue. Player switching. It has given me all the diseases so far. On one occasion I was under the kosh and had to resort to a sweaty goal to get back level, I know, there is no pride in that. Played it across the 6 yard box with a standard ‘x’ pass to a Captain Cheekbones himself Gabriel Jesus. Rather than letting me select him the ball bounced off his leg to safety as I’m desperately smashing the buttons to get control of him. My two midfielders on the d seemed in a better place apparently. That’s what needs tweaking for me to get into this game, other issues I can live with.

I have to agree with this, I've noticed it on crosses as well to my big centre-forward. I can tell straight away that it's going over his head, but my winger from the opposite flank has come inside and in the perfect position to get on the end of the over hit cross instead. But I can't switch from the centre-forward, even with the right stick, and then the winger leaves the ball after the centre-forward can't get his head to it.

Loving the game all in all. I'm in the camp where I prefer it to the demo, lucky me. Needs some of the issues patched out though.

Facebook People!
Time to suggest we have the opportunity to chose which version we'd like to play with?

How hard can it be?
And then konami can walk away and please everyone

Do you reckon this is doable? I'm sure it is based on what I've read about other sports titles, but in 2020? Or would it have to wait until 2021?

It really would be the easiest route.

I don't know, I already see where this is going if they try, as usual, to please everyone.

1.0 people could play that anyway, but if they screw up 1.2 for me and for others that then that's it. And this time I'll genuinely be mad.
They'd just need to make people choose between updates. Or to stick to their vision without try to find half ways.
I always slate Konami but not on this. What are they supposed to do? They can’t please everyone and they’re trying to find some middle ground. If they go back to demo, many will complain that there is no flow to the game because it’s always stopping for the refs whistle and that it’s far too easy. They can’t win.

I do agree that people should be able to choose update version but I don’t know the difficulties behind this as I’m not a game developer.

I always slate Konami but not on this. What are they supposed to do? They can’t please everyone and they’re trying to find some middle ground. I do agree that people should be able to choose update version but I don’t know the difficulties behind this as I’m not a game developer.

Other sport games do it. I'm not a developer as well but I'm sure it isn't anything ground breaking.

Perhaps imo as Matt himself said above it would be better if they choose a distinct path and refine it around their own vision of how the game should be rather than listen to everyone. I get that on paper try to find middle ground is good and noble, but what do you do when a controversial choice where no half measure is possible arises? Who do you choose to listen to and why? And what about the other group? It's a double edged sword. I'd rather trust them to present the game as they tought it and consider feedback for blatant bugs and stuff like that at this point.

Do you reckon this is doable? I'm sure it is based on what I've read about other sports titles, but in 2020? Or would it have to wait until 2021?

It really would be the easiest route.
of course it is doable, it's called "sliders" and EA has it, or you could have something like Madden has where you can choose between "Simulation" and "Arcade".
They can do something like this for 2021 if they want.

Feedback is good in theory, but building a game off of it goes against logic and vision. If they could just Ask "Does this [occurrence] represent football?". If it does, add it, if it doesn't, don't. EA lost their vision of 20 due to too much feedback, I fear the same can happen here.

"Have utmost concern for what's right rather than who's right."

Plenty of times in a professional capacity have I had to take action on wildly differing opinion. You'll rarely get consensus or even a clear majority but you still have to make a call at the end of the day. In that respect I empathise with the development team.

But you're right - if the point of reference is real football they should be fine.

Perhaps imo as Matt himself said above it would be better if they choose a distinct path and refine it around their own vision of how the game should be rather than listen to everyone. I get that on paper try to find middle ground is good and noble,
The least they should do is to say - we will be gathering and taking all the gameplay related feedback from October, to give people time to adjust, learn and see if their issues are really issues. Play the game, learn the game and come back to us in October.
Until then we will be looking only at fixing bugs, so please send any clips with bugs to us.

(Following that logic - they should have fixed only Stamina Issue from the Demo and similar things to it. Obvious bugs. Not trying to change the game coz Jimmy cant tackle, Bob finds it too easy and Harry cant score headers)

of course it is doable, it's called "sliders" and EA has it, or you could have something like Madden has where you can choose between "Simulation" and "Arcade".
They can do something like this for 2021 if they want.

It wouldn't be that, though. It'd be choosing from the patch history, which I think an NHL game (could be wrong, it's been known) has offered in the past. But sliders and different modes would also be a sensible approach.

Your teammates not reacting when the ball is near them wants me jump out the window. I'm fighting like a complete idiot trying to become the player but its always to late. For the first time since I was a teenager I almost smashed a controller because of that! :D Annoying af.

Hello, im a FIFA player since FIFA10, this year i played PES Demo and i really like it and i consider to switch this year to PES but i read negative feedback from community, so i'm in doubt if i buy or not.
Do you think KONAMI will patch the game ? I'm afraid to play the full game and notice many differences from the demo.

One thing i like about this game, which actually was in contrast to the demo. Playing in the championship with a classic 442, it's really hard to find space out wide to get a cross in, but with the dribbling mechanics, physicality and the way the players use their burst of pace, it's very rewarding when you are able to put a good cross in. i'm not sure if the new camera angle helps, but crossing seems quite varied.

Getting on the end of the crosses however, I am terrible at. I have a 1.98m tall striker and i can't get him on the end of them all all :CRY:I will get there and perservere with my 442!

I have to say thank goodness the developers kept League mode in the game. It gives me the freedom to start a season as a third division side in either English, French, Italian or Spanish leagues without all the frustrations and trappings of Master League. Always seems less scripting as well although that may be placebo effect. Given the improvements in this years game I look forward to taking a lowly underperforming team into a season of glorious achievement or abject failure. Looks like Italy or Spain for starters.

Right now on twitter A. Bhati says that people demanded changes, so they changed the demo :)

What a parody.

Can you link to a tweet? Demo feedback has many flaws (which I listed in my first post here ever last week).

It's pretty annoying they would naively accept it as gospel.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm playing the same game as everyone else here. I see no problems with the updated game at all. AI is not as passive (except for shitty teams) and the only thing that isn't great is fouls, which are essentially the same as 2019.

I'll most likely stop visiting this site since the game is out now and I'm definitely enjoying it. Some advice for some of the people here. You will most likely never get what you're looking for from Konami. There's too much conflicting feedback from both sides of the spectrum and Konami isn't sophisticated enough to implement exactly what you want. You can keep trying if you want though.

Its going to change anyway patch to patch. Even if they went back to it playing more like 1.0, theres no guarantee that next time they patch it changes again. One of the most annoying things about modern footy games is the continual patching through its life cycle. It kills it.

Right now on twitter A. Bhati says that people demanded changes, so they changed the demo :)

What a parody.
Please stop pretending the demo was perfect. It's not. There were also quite some issues with it (AI attacking, weird ref decisions etc.). I think it's perfectly reasonable what Adam mentions. It's hard to find a sweet spot as even within this tiny forum there are a lot of conflicting opinions.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm playing the same game as everyone else here. I see no problems with the updated game at all. AI is not as passive (except for shitty teams) and the only thing that isn't great is fouls, which are essentially the same as 2019.

I'll most likely stop visiting this site since the game is out now and I'm definitely enjoying it. Some advice for some of the people here. You will most likely never get what you're looking for from Konami. There's too much conflicting feedback from both sides of the spectrum and Konami isn't sophisticated enough to implement exactly what you want. You can keep trying if you want though.

Many of us are enjoying the updated game, don't worry.

Back
Top Bottom