eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

Just had a mind blowing match. Roma vs Sporting UEFA League. Team and player individuality is just breathtaking in this game (1.2), it just all felt so.. real. You really need to make use of each of your players strong points and patiently wait for your chances. It was one of those 'click' matches where the games speaks to you "go on buddy, thats it, play it like that and you will reap the rewards".

It is all starting to make much more sense when you compare it to real matches on this level. You cant just take anyone on with anyone when you please, you cant just pass it in the final third, you have to wait for the right moment to strike. Let that ball go from feet to feet, try to build up some momentum, grow you confidence and then, when you see that little gab, or that defender thats just a tad too eager.. you go for it.

Oh... and you cant just grab the ball with X from anyone with anyone either. You can only do it with someone with defensive skills against someone with less strenth, and even then you always risk a free kick if you go overboard.
So yes, it might seem too easy at times but then again you do not have those good defenders for nothing right? Looking at it this way, i am cautiously thinking it might not be that overpowered but that just a very early observation, i actually just found out how easy it can be now because since the demo i just stopped using X.

So, about that game. 0-1 behind in the 46' minute. Pelligrini took just a bit too much risk in the midfield which led to a excellently played out counter. You could see and feel the devistation of my players after that goal. Bad season start with three 0-0 games, now this.

But i slowly get back in the game and by the time we are in the 80th minute i have more control and i sense my stamina is much better. I am getting more and more dangoures with a few shots from just outside the box. However, their keeper is determined to bring those 3 points back to Portugal.

85' minute and Sporting has the ball in defence. They actually start to pass it around between their defenders to taunt me and fill out the time. I finally manage to force a long ball which i can pick up easily as their attackers are all on their on half.

89' minute and i find some space on the right side for Cengiz Ünder who has a few meters to prepare for a 1 on 1 with their LB. Dzeko and Kluivert are asking for the ball in front of the goal. My timing is a bit too hasty but i still manage to get past the LB and dont hesitate to put a cross in which travels towards the first post where Kluivert is waiting.

Kluivert looks over his shoulder to see where the keeper is and how he is positioned in regards to the goal. At this point i am expecting Kluivert to head the ball on between the keeper and the post but instead he chests it, pulls out a perfectly hit sciccor kick(!) by which he shoots the ball past the keeper who is just a meter behind him. Everyone is in awe as we watch the ball hit the woodwork. Game over. 0-1.

Last edited:
Since I still don't want to commit to longer comps but I'm a bit tired of friendlies, I just did what I usually do on past Pes: random Konami Cup, middle of the table/low higher leagues teams.

First game was Boca-Norwich.. simply beautiful. Perfect rythm, great balance, CPU tried to beat my defense in many different ways, and they finally succeeded here.. Tevez lost a bloody ball on our defending third and..

..a deflected shot by none others than Pukki condamned me to lose. Felt so random and so reminiscent of the old school I was happy all the same.

Yeah, the game is a damn beauty.

I could have bought the game already if it wasn´t for this 1.0 vs 1.2 debate. It just makes me confuse. When I saw the first dicussions about it being patched for worse, I decided to skip the game until the next patch, but I keep reading posts from respected members loving the game, members that used to dislike it in the last years, so that must be a good thing.

Still afraid of spending 40 euros on a digital version and be disapointed after a few ML matches though.
I was in the same boat as you, and went ahead and bought the game on Friday. Boy was I disappointed. I loved the demo so much, and playing one after the other, the demo feels so much better to play for me. With that said, I'm still enjoying the full version, but not as much as I would have wanted. The full version has improved in some aspects though, but it feels more rigid, while the demo feels more organic.

Well you all must be having completely different games to me on 1.2

Just played Norwich, Professional, Manual. All the CPUs passes are laser guided and unbelievably fast. They don't try and play risky passes into the box, they don't vary their crosses.

I took the lead mid second half after having nearly all the ball (bit like last years game) but having to work like hell for an opening. Scored a header, all good. 5 minutes from the end Fabinho doesn't react to a simple ball and Norwich play a 45yrd pass ALONG THE FLOOR to Pukki who is just standing there on the edge of my box marked by no one. He runs onto the ball and in true Pes 19 style hammers it low into the corner.

Im sorry but thats not an improvement on last years. On 1.2 I don't see any of this:

Shots further than the edge of the box
Shots over the bar
Shots from an angle (minimal)
Sidefoot finishes
Chip finishes
Outside of the foot finishes

All i see is blast after blast after blast. So I'm not sure what game you lot are playing. Its not about HOW WE SCORE GOALS, its about the CPU and how it plays to make it feel like a real football match.

We can score headers and long range goals and play nice footy around the box but on 1.2 the CPU doesn't do this. Its back to risk averse attacking and predictable laser passing. What a let down.

Agree about the laser passing and boring shot style by the AI but have also seen variation in how they create chances so I don't have too much of a problem with this.

My issue is the opposite, how we score goals. 20 games in and still haven't scored a long range goal or won a single header in the box from a corner. Or a chip, or a volley, or a half volley. Or a mazing run and finish. Or had a penalty given.

I can see why people want it to be hard to score but the game will throw literally anything at you to stop you sometimes. A stupidly bad touch, a horrendous finish, a ridiculous recovery tackle, a mis-placed 5 yard pass or an offside you had nothing to do with. These things happen multiple times per match and it just doesn't feel organic or fair. At the moment the overall experience is even worse than 19 for me.

Agree about the laser passing and boring shot style by the AI but have also seen variation in how they create chances so I don't have too much of a problem with this.

My issue is the opposite, how we score goals. 20 games in and still haven't scored a long range goal or won a single header in the box from a corner. Or a chip, or a volley, or a half volley. Or a mazing run and finish. Or had a penalty given.

I can see why people want it to be hard to score but the game will throw literally anything at you to stop you sometimes. A stupidly bad touch, a horrendous finish, a ridiculous recovery tackle, a mis-placed 5 yard pass or an offside you had nothing to do with. These things happen multiple times per match and it just doesn't feel organic or fair. At the moment the overall experience is even worse than 19 for me.
I’ve had a different experience to this in regards to scoring (manual shooting). I’ve scored a couple of long range, a chip and a header. I agree AI attacking variety is good. None of these things were in 2019. Passes being laser guided can be improved. Manual passing doesn’t feel as manual as the demo. Hoping they bring that back in the next patch.

I could have bought the game already if it wasn´t for this 1.0 vs 1.2 debate. It just makes me confuse. When I saw the first dicussions about it being patched for worse, I decided to skip the game until the next patch, but I keep reading posts from respected members loving the game, members that used to dislike it in the last years, so that must be a good thing.

Still afraid of spending 40 euros on a digital version and be disapointed after a few ML matches though.
If you played the demo and enjoyed it, then just get the physical version. This way you try patched and non patched, and if you don't like the patched version, you can at least fall back to non patched which plays like the demo. So win win anyway. That's only if you liked the demo though. If you didn't like it, I don't know how you'd find it. Maybe rent it, or buy it from a place that accepts returns.

This game suffers so much from input lag online. Hopefully it will be more stable soon, usually online will be a bit better a couple of weeks after release. When they've done some maintenance...

Played a bit more this weekend and still don't really know what to make of it. I can't decide whether I'm actually having fun and I feel like I' having to convince myself to play it. Passing's great and I can draw fouls when using L2 to make sharp direction changes but the shooting still turns me off; I don't feel in control of any of it. Pressing the button is as much control as I feel I have in what happens next; plus the finesse shooting still looks utterly ridiculous with the really weird arc the shot takes; really abnormal.

I genuinely think I'm a reworked shooting system away from loving it.

Shielding is actually in the game, it is contextual. Nice. I think this is the biggest leap PES ever made from previous iteration, gameplay-wise. So many small stuffs has been tweaked and added here and there.

With all the whining about difficulty and AI passing and AI tackling and I can't dribble I can't score all the time from 45 yards Konami are going to patch it and fuck it up. It will end up too easy with zero fouls if we aren't careful. My advice if you don't already is learn the game on manual, it still uses stats and removes all the rails that are on pass assistance. Also play on superstar as this for me has more AI error and long shots etc than top player.
Also Learn how to dribble using close controls, shielding and quick sprints

Are people wanting more fouls in game because they get none, or think that 2/3 a game is too little? Or is it because there are animations that you believe that should be a foul but not given for some reason?

For me, im getting 3s, 4s, 5s in terms of fouls against on a consistent basis. Not in Master League I will add, these are all single player World Cups, Champions Leagues etc. I use 10mins, Top Player.... if you scale it and its not exact, id be looking at 27 free kicks per game just for me... when in reality isnt the average about 10 per game for a team irl?

More fouls will kill the game for me :D
IMO "is not about how many fouls per game" issue.This Weekend i switched from TP to SS for Cup modes.(Not friendly matches) because cpu behavior is different in cup modes. SS cpu physicality after update is extreme.I don’t have an issue at all with that.The issue is that you get kicked,kcnocked,pushed & you can do that too, without fouls been called!!

Real Football has FOULS & usually there are a LOT.Yes, cpu & player playing with physicality is OK but there must be fouls. Otherwise is getting unreal. I believe that things ,would be incredibly better if fouls were given like the demo BUT there was NO REPLAY after every foul.Is there anybody actually watches fouls replays? They can just add a short time window to push a button if someone wants to see a replay...I really believe foul replays are killing the game NOT the actual fouls

Sorry that's your experience mate. I'm getting alot of different types of ai goals. Headers, long rangers, deflections, turn and shot etc.

yea I have to say im seeing plenty of variety by the AI no complaints there except a few 'superstar' ML moments that usually happen vs the AI but after playing 2019 this games a god send

Seeing tons of variety in AI goals and how they play too.

Have to admit to also not experiencing any of these AI defensive bugs being posted. Been playing the game solidly since last Sunday. Can't argue that they are there, but just ain't experiencing anything like that in the reddit vid at all.

And it seems an offence to say round here, but Advanced Shooting is utterly brilliant in this. All the variety (as well as error) I want from a football game in that regard.

Ok, random thing but is this some sort of bug? When I'am the home side in Online divisions I get to choose conditions but a coupe of times it just doesn't work. I choose day but it's night anyway. I choose summer but it winter when the match starts. Weird.

think i will continue to hold out till next patch and see if that fixes the scripting elements.

has bhatti mentioned the feedback yet?

Is it me or most of the CPU goals are from turning and shooting?

On superstar that’s all they do, 25+ games in and not one single cross and headed goal from the AI?? How is that poss, it’s so bad the back to goal,turn, shoot, that I’m rage quitting, I can’t enjoy a game that’s clearly broken in certain aspects, I don’t know if playing at a different level would help, but it’s a real game breaker for me.

And if I see another cut scene of the keeper sat on the floor banging the ground I’m gonna go mad

That is the stuff that I just overlook. I know it's there, I can see it and it would frustrate the hell out of me. But since it is not possible for me to change it, I just roll with it.
It's where I am now.

We either have this scripting BS which has been in PES forever but it keeps the game challenging. Or we have it's competitor's issues where there's no challenge whatsoever and I can win the league without even trying. Right now I prefer the challenge and the scripting isn't as bad this year as it was in PES 2019. Plus, the CPU AI makes errors as well this year (see my goal in Master League Adventures thread.)

We're not allowed to have nice things though! I think programming AI in a football video game is too much for these devs. Either that or they focus far too much on the multiplayer side of things.

Back
Top Bottom