eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

Played 3 matches as Everton in my league and just want to share a bit more dribbling. I feel like these clips are pretty realistic and showcase a good balance I feel in the patched game.

This is superstar, master league, newest patch

Like to know what you guys think about these clips in terms of variation in dribbling. There's some raw just speed, jinking runs, subtle touches in close areas, last minute flicks etc.
The
How are feint shots useless and broken? I feel like they have become more effective against CPU.
I am talking about the shooting+pass button feint, broken and useless. 9/10 you lose possession once the animation is done

Ηi. Maybe you are familiar with the timing needed. I read many reports about this on demo. I tried in both demo and full and what i feel is you must be much faster this year to cancel a pass since the power gauge is shown. It feels different, at least for me and in comparison with previous versions.
Ah ok. I'll try it with that in mind next time. Thanks.

just tried the super cancel offline with a pass, no issues it worked
Same. First time I hear that there are some issues with cancelling your input. Id definetely noticed it by now. I had some issues with Super Cancel response, but it wasnt in regards to cancelling my input, but in regards of positioning my players using S.C.

Ok so having spent the last 4 days playing the heck out of this game, this is what I have found. To caveat that, whether you play 1.0 or 1.2 will be down to preference. The game is not terrible by any means this year and is a general improvement from last year.

I played 2 days 1.0 and 2 days 1.2. You can achieve 1.0 by buying the disc version on PS4 or Xbox and installing the game fresh with no internet connection.

I'll start with the up to date version first:

Summary:

In general and in my opinion this is an improved 2019 Pes for me. Whilst it retains some of the 'fixes' this time like dribbling and long shots, the way these are implemented by the CPU is remarkably similar to last year. The patched version allows option file updates and adds many more boots and fixed kits to the game so you can flesh out the full roster.

Gameplay:

You'll find in general when you play a patched version, how little time you will get on the ball from what you experienced on the demo. The game can be quite frantic at times and a bit like a basketball game of steal and attack. This greatly effects stamina and you'll find your players exhausted by the end.

A.I

The A.I is tighter than the demo and a little more switched on. However this has a slightly negative effect as they tend to repeat patterns of play. I saw a lot of play from the CPU that was reminiscent of last years, where the forward would recieve a laser guided ball to feet and pass it back, spin and the CPU would lob it forward. It happens less than last year but it does happen. Dribbling tends to come in the form of short bursts of speed, a stop, check back onto their other foot and cross. This can become a bit predictable. Shooting is there, although the cpu tends to get central and onto the edge of the box before letting fly.

Defensively they are a lot more switched on and tend to suffocate space which can be a little frustrating when trying to dribble. The CPU also tends to go in overly aggressively to steel the ball. Which brings me onto the next subject...

Fouls

Fouls are in there, but again similar to last year. There seems to be some bias to the user player, who 'usually' only gets the call if its obvious as in the CPU tend to get more calls for niggly contact. I haven't had one penalty on the patched version so far and yet I had a few instances where my man was taken out and play was allowed to go on.

Conclusion

This is the weakest version for me. Whilst the CPU is a lot more switched on, they tend to play it safe with their attacks. You can score some wonderful goals still and you can play some nice football, but don't expect too many penalties or freekicks in dangerous areas. Having the game patched with option files really makes it standout and having all the squads up to date is great. If you can cope with the frantic pace and the overly aggressive Ai then this could be the version for you.

Summary

This is as close as you will get to the demo gameplay. I would say its slightly better but some may disagree. You get a lot of ebb and flow to games but the CPU AI can be a little passive compared to the patched AI. I found myself enjoying these games a lot more and I seemed to have a little breathing space in games which helped the game not be constantly end to end. You cannot add option files to this version at all because the base game requires an update.

Gameplay

I found that the AI was less aggressive and a little passive at times, which some might find less of a challenge. However it's balanced off by variety in the CPU's attack. They try more risky moves, they use through ball more in instances you wouldn't expect and the dribble with more variety which keeps you guessing. Stamina is there but less of an issue as the game doesn't frenetically buzz throughout.

A.I

As i said the a.i can be a little passive. A few times I caught them in possession and they were a tad dozy, although it depends which teams you are playing. I found that because players are not constantly closing down, both yourself and the cpu put their foot on the ball more and i've seen some nice variation in passing. Fast passes, slow passes, chipped passes, switching play, it felt quite realistic. Attacking wise the CPU keeps you guessing and is not scared of hitting a real long range shot without working its way to the centre of the goal on the edge of the area. They have worked their way into my box and pulled off deft touches rather than blasting the ball. There is a lot more variety in crossing with the CPU mixing up deep crossing and early crossing, which keeps you guessing. The shots seem to be less powered and the CPU tends to put shots over the bar - i didn't see much of that in the patched versions. I also got a lot more deflections and random ball trajectories which led to some nice moments you didn't see last year.

Fouls

They are a lot more niggly but a lot more balanced for the user. You also have to time them better. And with the CPU dribbling a lot more varied it leads to some nice passages of play. Also with regards to physicality, players keep their balance better and can dribble out of tight situations. Mane for example unpatched can wriggle through a few tackles, as he tends not to on the patched version because the overly aggressive AI barges you off the ball with no consequence.

Conclusion

In my mind this was what got us all excited in the first place and it does play an extremely nice game of footy. Lots of moments of variation and randomness, dribbling and fouls are much better, CPU attack is much better and you see much more variation in shooting with knuckle, rising and dipping. Unfortunately when you don't patch the other teams with an option file it takes away the immersion and some of the kits are bloody awful. It also requires you to manually update transfers which will be too much for some.

Verdict:

Without a doubt the 1.0 version is a mini masterpiece but suffers from lack of challenge for top players and lack of realism with unpatched kits. Version 1.2 is a little more rigid and I think it suffers a little bit because of it. But it looks the bees knees with everything up to date.

THE CHOICE IS YOURS!

Last edited:
Ok so having spent the last 4 days playing the heck out of this game, this is what I have found. To caveat that, whether you play 1.0 or 1.2 will be down to preference. The game is not terrible by any means this year and is a general improvement from last year.

I played 2 days 1.0 and 2 days 1.2. You can achieve 1.0 by buying the disc version on PS4 or Xbox and installing the game fresh with no internet connection.

Summary:

In general and in my opinion this is an improved 2019 Per for me. Whilst it retains some of the 'fixes' this time like dribbling and long shots, the way these are implemented by the CPU is remarkably similar to last year. The patched version allows option file updates and adds many more boots and fixed kits to the game so you can flesh out the full roster.

Gameplay:

You'll find in general when you play a patched version, how little time you will get on the ball from what you experienced on the demo. The game can be quite frantic at times and a bit like a basketball game of steal and attack. This greatly effects stamina and you'll find your players exhausted by the end.

A.I

The A.I is tighter than the demo and a little more switched on. However this has a slightly negative effect as they tend to repeat patterns of play. I saw a lot of play from the CPU that was reminiscent of last years, where the forward would recieve a laser guided ball to feet and pass it back, spin and the CPU would lob it forward. It happens less than last year but it does happen. Dribbling tends to come in the form of short bursts of speed, a stop, check back onto their other foot and cross. This can become a bit predictable. Shooting is there, although the cpu tends to get central and onto the edge of the box before letting fly.

Defensively they are a lot more switched on and tend to suffocate space which can be a little frustrating when trying to dribble. The CPU also tends to go in overly aggressively to steel the ball. Which brings me onto the next subject...

Fouls

Fouls are in there, but again similar to last year. There seems to be some bias to the user player, who 'usually' only gets the call if its obvious as in the CPU tend to get more calls for niggly contact. I haven't had one penalty on the patched version so far and yet I had a few instances where my man was taken out and play was allowed to go on.

Conclusion

This is the weakest version for me. Whilst the CPU is a lot more switched on, they tend to play it safe with their attacks. You can score some wonderful goals still and you can play some nice football, but don't expect too many penalties or freekicks in dangerous areas. Having the game patched with option files really makes it standout and having all the squads up to date is great. If you can cope with the frantic pace and the overly aggressive Ai then this could be the version for you.

Summary

This is as close as you will get to the demo gameplay. I would say its slightly better but some may disagree. You get a lot of ebb and flow to games but the CPU AI can be a little passive compared to the patched AI. I found myself enjoying these games a lot more and I seemed to have a little breathing space in games which helped the game not be constantly end to end. You cannot add option files to this version at all because the base game requires an update.

Gameplay

I found that the AI was less aggressive and a little passive at times, which some might find less of a challenge. However it's balanced off by variety in the CPU's attack. They try more risky moves, they use through ball more in instances you wouldn't expect and the dribble with more variety which keeps you guessing. Stamina is there but less of an issue as the game doesn't frenetically buzz throughout.

A.I

As i said the a.i can be a little passive. A few times I caught them in possession and they were a tad dozy, although it depends which teams you are playing. I found that because players are not constantly closing down, both yourself and the cpu put their foot on the ball more and i've seen some nice variation in passing. Fast passes, slow passes, chipped passes, switching play, it felt quite realistic. Attacking wise the CPU keeps you guessing and is not scared of hitting a real long range shot without working its was to the centre of the goal on the edge of the area. They have worked their way into my box and pulled off deft touches rather than blasting the ball. There is a lot more variety in crossing with the CPU mixing up deep crossing and early crossing, which keeps you guessing. The shots seem to be less powered and the CPU tends to put shots over the bar - i didn't see much of that in the patched versions. I also got a lot more deflections and random ball trajectories which led to some nice moments you didn't see last year.

Fouls

They are a lot more niggly but a lot more balanced for the user. You also have to time them better. And with the CPU dribbling a lot more varied it leads to some nice passages of play. Also with regards to physicality, players keep their balance better and can dribble out of tight situations. Mane for example unpatched can wriggle through a few tackles, as he tends not to on the patched version because the overly aggressive AI barges you off the ball with no consequence.

Conclusion

In my mind this was what got us all excited in the first place and it does play an extremely nice game of footy. Lots of moments of variation and randomness, dribbling and fouls are much better, CPU attack is much better and you see much more variation in shooting with knuckle, rising and dipping. Unfortunately when you don't patch the other teams with an option file it takes away the immersion and some of the kits are bloody awful. It also requires you to manually update transfers which will be too good for some.

Verdict:

Without a doubt the 1.0 version is a mini masterpiece but suffers from lack of challenge for top players and lack of realism with unpatched kits. Version 1.2 is a little more rigid and I think it suffers a little bit because of it. But it looks the bees knees with everything up to date.

THE CHOICE IS YOURS!
Summed it up perfectly! Great post. Put this on the Facebook feedback page, they need to read this.

The

I am talking about the shooting+pass button feint, broken and useless. 9/10 you lose possession once the animation is done

I do agree the direction is a bit difficult to get right, havent got fully to grips with it myself. However, I did find that using it in combination with a tap of :r1: helps a lot to get that extra burst for getting away. Really like :square: + :triangle: as well to get a cheeky pass in when the box is swarmed. Yet, also far from second nature at this point.

Best of luck. Im on Professional, stadium cam, manual everything, power bar and radar off and so far I didnt win a single match. Team Spirit at 50. Might have similar ML to your one from last year, where you got sacked. :LOL:

I decided to add advanced through ball in there as well for my first game, it was alright, although for a quick chip you have to feather that thing for a 10th of a second. I had an OK first game on Pro and FUMA against Atalanta but they did score and that was almost that, until I scored a goal in overtime which would probably somewhere be considered a war crime. But damn, it was sweet though! Had to upload it, my first ever FUMA goal on 2020.

I don't understand when I read somebody saying dribbling is impossible or CPU too strong in that regard. Yes defense is very tight, but with good dribblers it is very possible indeed, I put togheter a small, casual clip (forgive the quality, should be clear enough tho) I did on superstar:
It's perhaps the first occasion after a lifetime I finally feel confident with a star dribbler like Manè.

Summary:

In general and in my opinion this is an improved 2019 Pes for me. Whilst it retains some of the 'fixes' this time like dribbling and long shots, the way these are implemented by the CPU is remarkably similar to last year. The patched version allows option file updates and adds many more boots and fixed kits to the game so you can flesh out the full roster.

Gameplay:

A.I

Fouls

Conclusion

Summary

Gameplay

A.I

As i said the a.i can be a little passive. A few times I caught them in possession and they were a tad dozy, although it depends which teams you are playing. I found that because players are not constantly closing down, both yourself and the cpu put their foot on the ball more and i've seen some nice variation in passing. Fast passes, slow passes, chipped passes, switching play, it felt quite realistic. Attacking wise the CPU keeps you guessing and is not scared of hitting a real long range shot without working its way to the centre of the goal on the edge of the area. They have worked their way into my box and pulled off deft touches rather than blasting the ball. There is a lot more variety in crossing with the CPU mixing up deep crossing and early crossing, which keeps you guessing. The shots seem to be less powered and the CPU tends to put shots over the bar - i didn't see much of that in the patched versions. I also got a lot more deflections and random ball trajectories which led to some nice moments you didn't see last year.

Fouls

Conclusion

In my mind this was what got us all excited in the first place and it does play an extremely nice game of footy. Lots of moments of variation and randomness, dribbling and fouls are much better, CPU attack is much better and you see much more variation in shooting with knuckle, rising and dipping. Unfortunately when you don't patch the other teams with an option file it takes away the immersion and some of the kits are bloody awful. It also requires you to manually update transfers which will be too much for some.

Verdict:

THE CHOICE IS YOURS!

Summed it up perfectly! Great post. Put this on the Facebook feedback page, they need to read this.

I second this, good summary. Very temped to get a second-hand hard copy but part of me still hopes Konami can find the best of both worlds and merge them together in 1.3.

My #1 Thorn before everything is the change of R2. I wanted to give it time first and not moan as a super conservative, but after playing more what I see is, this change has really no purpose as many others said before. It Just renders the R2 useless in player control, except for the sprint feint.
What bothers me the most is while I receive a pass or control a ball, without R2 I feel that it is all too automatized now, no need to tune the press of R2 in time you control the ball, and the skill that turns over you to face opponent goalpost is with R1 now, which is also running. It is a set of unchained actions. The old set of functions of R2 were linked better, control-close control-special modifier etc.
The most sad part is that not a new combination is occupying the button, the most time after you control the ball is sitting there useless. It could stay like old times and the finesse “Iniesta” dribbling could be executed by R2+L3.

The

I actually felt like this in the demo in the day couple of weeks. Took me many games to get used to it (feeling of touch is very important to me)

I think I ended up finding all the animations I needed. The inputs are different, but it's there

Things I noticed...

- it was harder to execute, but defense was also harder (!!!!!! Only on demo build!!!! It balanced out). This is my gripe with all the previous years of PES. They tend to balance things out, in a way that was like "something is easy, so we will make something else easy". To tell the truth, I thought both dribbling mechanics and defensive mechanics, before 20, was easy/easy balanced. Demo gave a moment for us to breathe and think about how to take a touch (simple touch, not even a feint needed, most of the time). And that was refreshing. To be aware of every touch and not needing to dance and to acrobatic moves to weave out of pressure (16 was crazy with this)

Same thing with shot feint. Nice while it worked, but it worked too well in older games. Worked so well that you'll meet guys who do nothing but shot feint, all the time. It was kinda amazing that no matter the momentum of your body, shot feint brings your body to a full stop, and the ball, also to a full stop, glued to your feet. When u see people doing this full speed, again and again, u can see the arcade element in it

I don't think the final game is well balanced, for the fact that u don't have moments to breathe (because defensive pressure can dispossess much easier coming from behind your body now). And R stick inputs don't register so well in the full game, compared to the demo. So what u have, is a more leveled playing field, and in my friend's words, the demo vs full game talk is like "a clash between players that utilize all details and corners of the game vs players who only use 60 70 percent of stuff, like running, shooting, and auto tackle (COM pressure)".

By coincidence, I scored a goal, utilizing the R stick and shot feint (both of which being discussed in the quoted posts).

It works in the full game, but it involves a lot of wrestling with pressure, a little too much maybe. In most cases I would've lost the ball in a collision. There are so many collisions in the full game, it's a very different beast from the demo.

Overall, I'd say the R stick and new shot feints, new touches, new body blocking features etc..... Worked well for the demo, in how everything was balancing out. But, definitely too much of a chore and a brawl in the full game

And it's the gripe I've with all the previous PES games. We shouldn't have to be dancing and doing large amount of feints to be able to deal with simple, one dimensional, one button pressure. And I say this as someone who use feints quite often and quite comfortably. It shouldn't be that stressful, all the time. It's not realistic

Summary:

Gameplay:

A.I

Fouls

Conclusion

Summary

Gameplay

A.I

Fouls

Conclusion

Verdict:

THE CHOICE IS YOURS!
Great review! I have two questions:
1. Did you notice the "catch up" bug in 1.0? In the demo I could run past a slow defender with a fast player and in 1.2 I can't.
2. You can't import an option file, but can you import images and edit a team yourself?

Played a lot of the game since Thursday genuinely feels like the last few years of feedback about not changing the retail version still doesn’t register with Konami.

I’m now praying the patch when it comes and knowing them will be November fixes the chance of this being the best Pes ever. Why do they tease us with the demo and it’s great gameplay and then completely change it so shit tbh.
I’ve even gone offline ML because there is a great game in there but it feels empty again.
I hope I’m proven wrong but if history has taught us the next patch will add Puma boots and Adidas tangos and no gameplay changes.

Hi Evoweb mates ,after two hours of hard work I've made a video showing what has messed after patch:

Everything it's related to offline experience. The major part of the points showed there, are AI behaviours, so maybe online players haven't noticed it at all.

Enjoy if you can, or at least share it whatever you want to make all this stuff bringed back.

Lets go Pes elitists!! Go to fight for our rights!!

And thanks :TU:

Looking at the video, the fluidity of these movesets/animation transitions in the demo, is just not available in the full game now. It's the same online/offline.

The commands are more or less there (well, sometimes the R stick inputs won't register in the full game).... But on top of that, the fluidity isn't there anymore. U get stuck between transitions a lot more often. Everything happens in a clunkier way

Great review! I have two questions:
1. Did you notice the "catch up" bug in 1.0? In the demo I could run past a slow defender with a fast player and in 1.2 I can't.
2. You can't import an option file, but can you import images and edit a team yourself?
You are right and I forgot to add that in. The cpu will cahse you down even if you have a fast player on 1.2

But if your player is faster in 1.0 you can run away from him

Anyone playing on ps4 (not pro), does your unit sound like a plane taking off when you play? The fans on mine come on every time a match starts
Ps4 Slim here (I like to keep in shape)
Very first time when installing and after installation thought the whole house is taking of, which is a bit awkward in my situation since I play only when everyone is asleep. After few games it went quiet and been quiet ever since. I get a sound of disc "coughing" inside every now and again, but nothing major. Thanks God..

Rubbish, absolute rubbish.. 1.2 I can get away from players with pace. We all get you love 1.0 thats fine, enjoy it. But dont put up crap like that.
Listen and I'm only going to say this once. It is there. Go play it for yourself.

I haven't told anyone what to do I've just laid it out what the two versions do. If you like 1.2 then fine shut the hell up and go and play it.

Back
Top Bottom