eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

Played 3 matches as Everton in my league and just want to share a bit more dribbling. I feel like these clips are pretty realistic and showcase a good balance I feel in the patched game.

This is superstar, master league, newest patch

Like to know what you guys think about these clips in terms of variation in dribbling. There's some raw just speed, jinking runs, subtle touches in close areas, last minute flicks etc.

That right stick dribble feature is lost on me. Watched video tutorials and the lot but as soon as i try it someone waltzes up and takes the ball with ease
Don’t give up buddy! It’s such fun when you get the hang...
Guys, if your first few matches are evening games does it turn out all of them will be for the season? I’ve just started a new ML save and I don’t want evening games all season.
Nope. Had mixed times. All good here.
I decided to buy it, thinking maybe people were exaggerating with the lack of fouls... First half of my first match in Exhibition mode (vs Superstar) this happens...

ezgif-4-1ec034ae7f4b.gif
Gifs are worth XXXX. You need to feel it! :LOL:
Love it, man!!

There’s plenty of fouls in the game post and pre patch....

Easy to win free kicks round the box and draw fouls..Having plenty...Bare in mind I’m playing pre patch though so the nature of player control and physicality makes it slightly easier..

I still think a lot of people jumped the gun on this game..The demo needed the rough edges of the foul system ironed out..that’s it..A little more variety from the A1 and a real sense(healthy fear)that the bigger teams are dangerous and lethal to play against.Out of the box the vanilla version is exactly that.

By version 1.0 or when the game went gold this had been done so the demo feedback probably hadn’t even been taken into account.

I can’t gauge precisely how many fouls are in the game post patch but I would wager over time it’s less noticeable post patch because of how the dribbling/player movement system was slightly altered along with physicality to reduce the amount of time play is stopped or collisions pulled up.

Imo they’re got it bang on in version 1.O and should of communicated this better and let people play that version first before jumping quickly in with a day one patch.The AI both interms of variety and how it plays is the same pre and post patch.Its a big step up from the demo.

I think you're right about fouls already being fixed by the time of 1.00, very few of those phantom fouls that the demo had in my experience.

The problem is let's say they do revert tackling/ physicality back to 1.00 all those sprint + X whores are going to keep playing the same as they do now and...

TOOMANY FOULS... THIS GAME IS BROKE... TOO MANY FOULS

Round and round we go!

I decided to buy it, thinking maybe people were exaggerating with the lack of fouls... First half of my first match in Exhibition mode (vs Superstar) this happens...

ezgif-4-1ec034ae7f4b.gif
Jesus Christ, that's the best example I've seen yet!

I really don't think it's scripting, I think it's just terrible coding / detection. It feels to me that the AI doesn't intentionally foul, and because that intent is "known", it's just never even considered for refereeing. Whereas the human player doing it is different. The end result is... Ridiculous moments like this...

I don't completely agree that they've never implemented presentation. In older games the UEFA license was fine, everything was taken care of imo. Same for the Libertadores license when they had it. It's funny because the AFC Champions League does actually have the full presentation package in PES 2020. Try an exhibition match between two AFC teams and the difference is so evident. Scoreboard, nameplates etc. all are exactly the same as a proper TV presentation. So there is evidence that they can do this sort of thing right. I do agree that presentation in general is shocking now.

Also, considering leagues in real life now actively try to brand themselves I imagine it would be no bother at all to ask for all the graphic textures directly from the leagues they have licenses for. The Eredivisie presentation package in real life for example is universal, meaning everywhere Eredivisie matches are shown the same scoreboard, replay graphic etc. are used. This means that they could probably get easy access to everything they'd need to implement it into the game as they wouldn't have to approach TV channels but just the leagues they already have licenses for.

It really is bizarre. They're actually paying for these licences so why wouldn't you get full use out of them? It makes no sense at all.

If I was working on PES I'd be of the thought, we can't compete with FIFA in league numbers but what we can do is make the leagues we've got as authentic as possible. Celtic Park and Ibrox are always requested heavily for FIFA every year, so if PES put both stadiums in the game and make a really decent Scottish League with the proper presentation and other bits and pieces you might just convince all those Celtic, Rangers and other fans to buy PES as well as their usual FIFA purchase.

Same with Belgian, Danish, Turkish, Swiss, Russian etc. These leagues are piss poor on FIFA and you could be playing anywhere when you use them. Give people the full works for these leagues in PES and they might just buy PES as well as FIFA so they can have a proper master league with the team they support.

This fucking game again.

Railed some decent time on it and fuck me its frustrating as fuck.

Firstly it has some great touches. At time i think this is the best pes ever. Then swiftly, like a kick in the balls, something happens to completely fuck me off.

Annoyances at this stage in no particular order:

• Lack of atmosphere (Played an old firm game and it could have been to under 8 teams).
  • Commentary again.
  • Use of licenses - Serie A license and not a single nod to it. Same adboards every game for example.
  • Players at times having no awareness of the ball and where it is
  • Distinct lack of AI awareness in forward runs. This is truly god awful.
  • Physicality is completely bolloxed. AI gets away with murder.
  • The fucking transfer deadline day and its stupid hour blocks.
  • Transfers and you still cant select the fee just scales of it.
  • Players on the transfer list that their clubs arent willing to sell?????
  • These fucking pointless cutscenes in ML that are on many occasions wrong (said lost last two in question and i hadnt).
But its still fun. Just! Every fucking year the game does this to me. These will wear me down and i will hate it eventually. But just now. Its fun

I don't completely agree that they've never implemented presentation. In older games the UEFA license was fine, everything was taken care of imo. Same for the Libertadores license when they had it. It's funny because the AFC Champions League does actually have the full presentation package in PES 2020. Try an exhibition match between two AFC teams and the difference is so evident. Scoreboard, nameplates etc. all are exactly the same as a proper TV presentation. So there is evidence that they can do this sort of thing right. I do agree that presentation in general is shocking now.

Also, considering leagues in real life now actively try to brand themselves I imagine it would be no bother at all to ask for all the graphic textures directly from the leagues they have licenses for. The Eredivisie presentation package in real life for example is universal, meaning everywhere Eredivisie matches are shown the same scoreboard, replay graphic etc. are used. This means that they could probably get easy access to everything they'd need to implement it into the game as they wouldn't have to approach TV channels but just the leagues they already have licenses for.

It really is bizarre. They're actually paying for these licences so why wouldn't you get full use out of them? It makes no sense at all.

If I was working on PES I'd be of the thought, we can't compete with FIFA in league numbers but what we can do is make the leagues we've got as authentic as possible. Celtic Park and Ibrox are always requested heavily for FIFA every year, so if PES put both stadiums in the game and make a really decent Scottish League with the proper presentation and other bits and pieces you might just convince all those Celtic, Rangers and other fans to buy PES as well as their usual FIFA purchase.

Same with Belgian, Danish, Turkish, Swiss, Russian etc. These leagues are piss poor on FIFA and you could be playing anywhere when you use them. Give people the full works for these leagues in PES and they might just buy PES as well as FIFA so they can have a proper master league with the team they support.
After trying the FIFA demo, PES could really make use of great atmosphere. It really is lacking there. The games feel more alive in the FIFA demo. Gave me chills. The last time I felt that way was with PS2 games patched with FIFA atmosphere and commentary. Why do they ignore it?

The more I think about the presentation (well lack of) the more it frustrates me. They've done the hardest/most expensive bit which is acquiring the licences. Every league in the game bar English, Spanish and Serie B is licensed. English and Spanish they'll never wrestle away from EA and Serie B we'll see if it's going to be licensed down the line.

It would take a team of 2 or 3 people probably about a day to create the graphics for proper presentation, modders on PC can do it in no time so professionals should be able to do it pretty quickly.

Get all the commentators in for 2 days of recording. First few hours can be them recording team names and player names that aren't in the game yet, the vast majority are already there so it shouldn't take more than a few hours to reel them all off. In the remaining time you could massively expand the commentary with loads of extra lines. All it would cost is 2 days of fees for the commentators and you've massively improved your commentary.

Chants is even easier, they could even record some at the stadiums while they're there taking all the millions of pictures that they take for the (admittedly very good) stadiums.

They should also build more stadiums like De Kuip, Alvalade etc. These stadiums aren't the perfect replica down to the last fire extinguisher being in the right place like some of the others but they're able to be built much quicker and still look very good as far as I'm concerned. This would allow stadiums to be built quicker taking up less resources meaning we could have more of them and the really detailed stadiums which are exact replicas down to every last detail can just be for the premium partner teams.

After trying the FIFA demo, PES could really make use of great atmosphere. It really is lacking there. The games feel more alive in the FIFA demo. Gave me chills. The last time I felt that way was with PS2 games patched with FIFA atmosphere and commentary. Why do they ignore it?

Even if they gave us the tools to import chants and music for team intros it would be a start. I know on the PC it can but for consoles we are stuck with nothing

Some nice stuff there @PRO_TOO!

It sounds like you've got a handle on the right stick stuff, can you explain how it's different from last year's R2+Left stick.
I’m not nearly as gifted as some users with the sticks but I’m confident I have enough passion to get the grips!
I’m still adapting/learning and while I’m doing I’m having a lot of fun. :D

Wish I could share/interact more. Wish you’d be all in my apartment and we’d play some matches!!
:LOVE:

Edit: I’m planning on going to London. And when I hit british ground I don’t wanna hear no excuses!! We’ll meet!! :D

Last edited:
Fouls and penalties are absolutely bs.i got taken out by the defender and the keeper neither of which touched the ball yet somehow I lost possession and didn't get a clear cut penalty. Absolute rubbish.

For those who only play master league the game is totally different to the online (myclub) experience of what bs can and does happen.

just had a thought while watching SHU:SOU.
what is an essential thing in football? pressure!
as I play myself as an amateur I know a little bit of what that means. pressure is so important and a strong feature of the game (today more than before!).
and here we go! maybe thats part of why i'm sticking with manual. full manual that is!
image you've been dragged to the corner flag (if you let the game flow they'll do) and all you had to do is press a button and watch the outcome animation the computer decides.
OR: play manual and watch the outcome you decided and the computer had to animate!
;)

again, just a thought.

edit: to me, it doesn't matter if I hit the corner flag, the ranks or make late attempt pass to my teammate... as long as I did it (aka the computer gave me the illusion (but now we're going the wrong way... ;) ))! :)

Physicality is completely bolloxed. AI gets away with murder
Jesus Christ people... dont you say things like this in public! Someone might read it! Physicality is not bolloxed! Physicality is best that any Pes ever had! Its referee decisions that are bolloxed! Barges, punches, throws and digs should be called!

Tell you one thing - if their "fix" will be to nerf physicality, instead of increasing amount of fouls and bringing back risk/reward defending - im out. Back to 1.0 and staying offline.

Ps. Just had possibly best matches in my life, with all the flaws, thanks to that physicality.
Full manual, 20mins, -1 speed, professional. Im yet to win a single game. Firmly on last place with 2 point after 6 games and kicked out from the Cup. But the matches im having, the tempo, the build up (mine and AI) - just amazeballs.. cant aim to save my life under this pressure on stadium Cam, but I feel like I was transfered back to the beginning of Pes, where I had to work my absolute bollox of to learn and earn my first win.
Bring me back those god damn impact fouls, leave this beautiful physicality and I'll never say a bad word about Konami ever again. :LOL:

I agree. Keep the physicality or improve it even. I love how the shielding works. Sure, the player kinda leans automatically into the enemy, but the jostling to keep posession is simply amazing.

From reading the Eurogamer review, I think they are spot on . There is a great game there but the issues cloud over it. The issues the review mentions are very clear in particular online.

I play online co op/my club co op a lot and it’s just bizarre at times. The ball pinballs, rebounds a lot and 90% of the time it’s favouring the opposing team in reclaiming possession. Fouls too, I can’t quite grasp defending , it’s like the interception/dispossessing doesn’t work, defenders are letting players pass them too easy. It’s weird. It’s got a rigid structure/feeling to it. Shooting too, I can’t quite grasp it or feel it’s going the direction I want.

I’ve never been a great PES player, ok at best, maybe it’s a steep learning curve I need or there are issues. Don’t think I’ve felt this puzzled about a PES game before, if not for a long time.

Man this is the most frustrating game ever. I just cannot get this at all. Dribbling is just beyond me.

I guess i have been institutionalised by FIFA and it is very hard to get used to different controls. I have to unlearn this i think and it will be a steep unlearning curve...

Master League with Celtic. Top Player. Losing most games despite dominating possession. It seems to me that without being able to get finesse dribbling right you cannot create enough chances in this game. At least that's how it feels.

I'm loving the slowed down pace of the game and the increased difficulty. FIFA is just too damned easy even on the top level. However, my players seem very sluggish and the amount of times they don't stretch out a leg to try to intercept a ball running alongside them is having me tear my hair out. I'm also finding that highlighted players are not responding to loose balls when i input making defending or getting myself out of trouble difficult and adding to the frustration of defending. I am atrocious at defending crosses and have conceded goals where my defender should be favourite to get the ball but does not make a challenge. Not sure what this is about, but i suspect my reconfiguration of the controls may mean the players are not responding in some way. I have taken to just clearing the ball by pressing shoot which is dangerous when i play with manual shooting!

On the attacking side i am still getting used to shooting. Manual still seems to default to a shot down the middle which is a bit annoying but again could be me getting used to timing and using the stringer foot, etc. Crossing is meh, no whip to the ball. Heading is...best left unsaid. All of this could be down to me so don't want to get too uppity with the game just yet.

I'll give it more time as i am only 15 games into the first season but the jury is still out for me. At the very least the game is a challenge and after several years of FIFA is a welcome change.

Now lets hope i can actually score...

for people that havent played this game for a long while, arrow direction is hardcoded into each player which is obviously their player style, we all have our favourite players hoping they make those runs unfortunately thats not the case with pes, if you can disconnect from your fav players and focus on those player types regardless who it is, you can create an amazing picture of movement in play and this years game has gone up another level for that, despite the issues am still playing this alot and dribbling definitely has a steep learning curve, physicality between players has been the most impressive part of the game for me, fingers crossed next patch doesnt stuff all this up and just enhances the fouling

I know its possible to play Patch version 1.00 on disk version but is it really the same as the demo? Can someone confirm this for me please.

Back
Top Bottom