eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

Last night before I started ML I went through all the top european leagues and switched off all Deep Defensive Lines and Swarm The Box tactics in all teams. Not finding space in the middle. Its by far best in years this way.

I did this, it improves things a lot. What I've also done is checked every teams goalkeeper. I noticed in master league I would face teams who had their strongest keeper on the bench. Hopefully putting their best keeper in the team in the game plan with edit mode will mean they play the strongest one most often.

So many great games last night..

Nothing but love for this game..The dribbling,physicality..Moments..

Vanillla version..Will link some captures!

One game last night I had four or five players gasping and pulling up I ran them so ragged..

The lovely mazy dribbling..Konami were nuts to patch this and loose all that dribbling freedom and feel.The hit to physicality is also a game changer.

My worst fear happened..

Edit..Is there a training mode?..I thought it wasn’t in the game.

Last edited:
Right, that's it, I've spent the last two days really trying to work out the finesse dribbling. I've complained a fair bit about it, but I really wanted to dive into it properly, watch some youtube videos on it, and make absolutely sure it's not just me moaning and subconsciously not wanting to change.

My conclusion: It's a massive stinking bag of shit, and a bare-faced lie from Konami.

For anyone who's interested and still has 2019 installed, fire it up, hold R2 finesse dribble, and move around the pitch. Then fire up 2020 and move around using the right stick.

I'd love for someone to tell me just ONE thing that's different? ONE thing that makes this new 'feature' better? It is literally nothing more than a control remap and branding it as a feature.

I did this, it improves things a lot. What I've also done is checked every teams goalkeeper. I noticed in master league I would face teams who had their strongest keeper on the bench. Hopefully putting their best keeper in the team in the game plan with edit mode will mean they play the strongest one most often.
I was going to go further with all this. I was going to move their defensive lines a bit further, change All out Defense for Frontline Pressure and make all teams more opened.
But at the end I just removed these two in all the top leagues, even D2's. Reason being
1. I noticed that tactics are quite different for all the teams, so wanted to keep it varied
2. Couldnt wait to start this bleeding ML.
Also, I edited remaining 7 fake teams that were left after installing V1 option file. Nothing fancy, just names, stadiums and kits using in game editor.
Set transfer frequency to Low, disabled first transfer window and off I went.

Ps. I heard that default ML lineup names are called out by commentator now, which is a nice touch. I always play with team lineup, but for those playing with default it adds some immersion. Wonder if Default Youths are also called out..

Edit
Fun fact. Out of all the top leagues - EPL is most defensively minded on default settings. Almost all the teams had Deep Defensive Line, whereas Italian or Spanish - just selected few.

Last edited:
So, over 150 games since last weekend, zero red cards in any of them... and then this happens

Really, they should be using whatever variables they use for fouls in the derby matches and applying that in a much sophisticated way. Apply it to player ID, apply it team styles... they have the makings for it there alreadt they just need to be more intelligent about it.

I was going to go further with all this. I was going to move their defensive lines a bit further, change All out Defense for Frontline Pressure and make all teams more opened.
But at the end I just removed these two in all the top leagues, even D2's. Reason being
1. I noticed that tactics are quite different for all the teams, so wanted to keep it varied
2. Couldnt wait to start this bleeding ML.
Also, I edited remaining 7 fake teams that were left after installing V1 option file. Nothing fancy, just names, stadiums and kits using in game editor.
Set transfer frequency to Low, disabled first transfer window and off I went.

Ps. I heard that default ML lineup names are called out by commentator now, which is a nice touch. I always play with team lineup, but for those playing with default it adds some immersion. Wonder if Default Youths are also called out..

Great. Does this have to be done manually or does the option file change the tactics?

Edit
Fun fact. Out of all the top leagues - EPL is most defensively minded on default settings. Almost all the teams had Deep Defensive Line, whereas Italian or Spanish - just selected few.
Well that's dumb.
I also didn't see a single team with a fluid formation set up.

I swear, we need to release something with updated tactics for teams. It would make such a difference.

Great. Does this have to be done manually or does the option file change the tactics?
Manually.. hence I didnt go deeper into it.
But once you adjust your fingers and get into rhythm - it goes fairly fast. Took me about 20 mins to remove Deep Defensive Line and Swarm The Box from EPL, Championship, La Liga 1&2 and both Italian Leagues.

Thats a good question. I've no idea. First time I did this, coz I knew defending is very tight in pes20 and wanted more battle in the middle..
But I have an idea how you can check it. Go to your ML, check which team you are playing next, then go out, go to Edit Mode, Edit Teams, find this team and change their formation to some mad one. Go back to your ML and check are they set up like this.
If they are - then fire away.
You must start a new SAVE for tactics changes to take effect.

P.S.: Default squad have callnames. Youths don't, but you can always change their name through edit mode. I.E. i give them all a scan face by the base-copy method, plus i always rename them with names that exist in the database. The 16 portuguese LB, he was Filtaozinho, this year he is Teixeira again, i rename him Fernandinho, which is a name existing in callnames database. The only bad still remaining, they don't have any avatar picture in the gameplan screen.

Last edited:
It is overused but can be sorted via tactics at least. They only time I've seen it realistic is while simming matches like Germany/San Marino, yet almost almost every team seems to have that deep defensive line as their only defensive tactic. :D
I might have to do that. It's not even the difficulty in breaking the opponent down that bothers me. It's just the fact that you can literally walk through midfield with the ball. There's no resistance.

Right, that's it, I've spent the last two days really trying to work out the finesse dribbling. I've complained a fair bit about it, but I really wanted to dive into it properly, watch some youtube videos on it, and make absolutely sure it's not just me moaning and subconsciously not wanting to change.

My conclusion: It's a massive stinking bag of shit, and a bare-faced lie from Konami.

For anyone who's interested and still has 2019 installed, fire it up, hold R2 finesse dribble, and move around the pitch. Then fire up 2020 and move around using the right stick.

I'd love for someone to tell me just ONE thing that's different? ONE thing that makes this new 'feature' better? It is literally nothing more than a control remap and branding it as a feature.

So glad someone else is as annoyed as me, this is what I was going on about yesterday. They do this every few years with the R2 dribbling in terms of rebranding it but it hasn't changed since the ps2 days. Except, of course, that this year they've gone a step further by moving it to right stick which for me has made it less accessible and has come at the expense of short knock-on and made some skills more complicated. It's an utter shambles of a decision by konami.

Ahh man

They removed the old skool training ground.

Also what happened to the training kit and bibs your players used to wear. Hate seeing them in full kit in training mode.

(This maybe showing how long I haven't played this game for)
Yeah. Old training ground is removed but you can do training in any empty regular stadium (and I like the empty ranks). Wish the old training ground was back but same time I’m happy I have so many grounds to do my training on now.

@Jimi_Zuko where is it?! I flipped through some stadiums when I selected the ground but it looked like all the stadiums only.

Another broadcast top player this time full manual internatopnal cup and I play shocking, lose both games and miss some good chances. I've posted it to demonstrate fouls. 5 in first half against Cameroon. Won a few of these by shifting the ball quickly and direction. When in control I use supercancel for me that's r2 and l2 and change in direction

As I said fouls ars there

So many great games last night..

Nothing but love for this game..The dribbling,physicality..Moments..

Vanillla version..Will link some captures!

One game last night I had four or five players gasping and pulling up I ran them so ragged..

The lovely mazy dribbling..Konami were nuts to patch this and loose all that dribbling freedom and feel.The hit to physicality is also a game changer.

My worst fear happened..

Edit..Is there a training mode?..I thought it wasn’t in the game.

I was doing the exact same thing on the latest patch though. Jorginho went past 3 players and during that they were trying to pull him back, and he was holding his arm out to fend them off, very satisfying.

The dribbling freedom is still there.

Last edited:
guys, we need to know, is the game worth the 60 usd slapped on to it?all i hear here is people who bash the game and then there s someone, says best pes in years, you guys are making us confused, i don t wanna buy another pes 2019.5!!! i wanna know what to buy, someone respond plz, i wanna know if i buy fifa 20 or pes 2020 ?

guys, we need to know, is the game worth the 60 usd slapped on to it?all i hear here is people who bash the game and then there s someone, says best pes in years, you guys are making us confused, i don t wanna buy another pes 2019.5!!! i wanna know what to buy, someone respond plz, i wanna know if i buy fifa 20 or pes 2020 ?
Its not worth the full price...but its definitely a PES title that you might want to pick down the line on sale.

Ai players bouncing off you with their asses up,I even gegen pressed some average player last night (Poli Bologna) with 3 players ganging up on him, obviously he came out with the ball and my three players left behind.

It's like a magical magnetic shield that you can't penetrate.
Right now I'd rather play Pes 18 than this,for all its flaws,that game hasn't stacked the deck like this one have.

If Konami patch this up I'll gladly play it again (some great stuff in it) but if not,I'm done atm

The fun of my club..

Pulling players that you've never heard of, having to play them as they're a step up from what you have and finding out they're freaking amazing

Ai players bouncing off you with their asses up,I even gegen pressed some average player last night (Poli Bologna) with 3 players ganging up on him, obviously he came out with the ball and my three players left behind.

Right now I'd rather play Pes 18 than this,for all its flaws,that game hasn't stacked the deck like this one have.

If Konami patch this up I'll gladly play it again (some great stuff in it) but if not,I'm done atm
Same here. I feel disgusted to pay full price sek599 and now im stuck with it. There are moments of brilliance at time (same story last iteration as well) but nothing to warranty that you will stick to it day in day out (or look forward to to play after long days work).

Same here. I feel disgusted to pay full price sek599 and now im stuck with it. There are moments of brilliance at time (same story last iteration as well) but nothing to warranty that you will stick to it day in day out (or look forward to to play after long days work).
Nope ,I'm pretty fucking pissed off this game turned in to rubbish so quickly.

you see, i was saying yesterday that the other game does the basics better, and you started to come against me, and now you are complaining about the ai...

Another broadcast top player this time full manual internatopnal cup and I play shocking, lose both games and miss some good chances. I've posted it to demonstrate fouls. 5 in first half against Cameroon. Won a few of these by shifting the ball quickly and direction. When in control I use supercancel for me that's r2 and l2 and change in direction

As I said fouls ars there

Im not being funny here but this is the patched version right?

Look how straight and fast the passing is. 90% of the passes are at the same speed. Look how its just a steal fest at speed. That isn't how football is played, thats how basketball is played.

The unpatched version at least has pass variation in speed, spin and the cpu bend passes and through balls.

I just don't know how people don't feel its 2019 with some slight improvements here and there.

Have you tried reinstalling and playing vanilla?

Its great out of the box, really enjoyable, one of the best footy games. It sucks that i can't patch it though and have all the awful kits.

Back
Top Bottom