eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

20190912_232849.jpg
1/ Fouls & physicality. In the demo, pressuring by holding Square or X was punished heavily. If skilful enough, players could anticipate the tackle and shift bodyweight to evade it. We know that some foul decisions were wrong in the demo, but in the Day 1 patch, players now tackle through the back or side, often knocking over the ball carrier, without any fouls being given. The demo’s physicality gave players more time on the ball, allowing them to use the wonderful new finesse system. Unfortunately, on the latest build, finesse touches are punished by opponents who quickly press, without fear of giving away fouls.

Attachments

• IMG_20190912_233432.jpg
    IMG_20190912_233432.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 71
@OBH Any idea what LS/RS combos do what skills with Autofeint ON ?
Always found it a bit random, you never know what stick combos to do for what skill?
The skills list menu is pretty poor at explaining things isn't it (shock! :D)

Auto-feint appears to work like this -
* makes basic skills all the same input and picks one at random.
* locks you out of the advanced skills completely
* BUT it makes intermediate skills much easier to do - because these are the ones that are most effective anyway that is why I believe most people will be perfectly fine keeping auto-feint on.

So, I'm sure you already know that the skills list changes depending on whether auto feint is on or off:

Auto-feint off
20190913111519_1.jpg
Auto-feint on
20190913111538_1.jpg

The only skills this causes a problem with is basic step-overs because for some reason they're all the same input!
20190913111538_2.jpg

As far as I can work out all 3 of these are done completely at random with auto feint on, unless a player has a specific trait such as 'multiple step-overs', in which case they'll always do that.

When you get to the intermediate skills however this is where auto-feint is really useful.

Take the 'Marseille Turn' as an example, instead of having to spin the right stick around, with auto feint on it's nothing more complicated than right.png on the right stick and arrows, up, arrow, navigation, direction, upload, top icon icon.png on the left stick.

All the other intermediate skills work in the same way; point the left stick one way, point the right stick another, and each combination will do a different skill. Simple. To learn which direction does what it's best to just work them out yourself with a bit of trial and error, and the skills list is horrible at explaining it.

In case you're worried on missing out on something by turning auto-feint on; the only skills you'll be locked out of are ones like the '3 touch roulette' like this:
ezgif-3-5a8e4fade674.gif

It looks cool, but the animation is so long, and pressure is so powerful that it makes skills like this totally uneffective in 99% of situations anyway, so you're really not missing out on them.

Looking at some of the movies of @xPJRx on his website, I suddenly realize the commentator now actually mentions your default ML players. Never heard that in 2019 or before...

Yes, brand new for this year, and they didnt even mention it during press releases or anything, nice addition.

In other news.

This guy's bottom of Serie B and gets offered the England manager's job.

Okay, that's hilarious. But seriously - crap to see this kind of thing. I've left it in the "bugs" thread on the PES dev Facebook page...

I always noticed that the National teams mode in ML was bugged. In fact, it´s not a bug, it´s just a part that Konami still hasn´t worked properly. I always get invitations from several top nations despite my success on the league I am at the moment.

Please do, you've definitely got a knack for this stuff!

But remember, keep it simple - otherwise guys like me who try to use the left stick for everything won't be able to grasp it (I'm being serious, it scares me to touch the right stick and lock the player into an animation that runs them straight into the defender)...

I'm honestly so baffled by the change of jinking run/finesse dribble to the right stick. Seriously, can somebody tell me how it's different from holding R2 (special controls) and using left stick from last year?!

The worst bit, as you allude to Chris, is that now that RS does the new dribble, it can mess with doing certain skills. I was just having at OBH's double-touch skill from his tutorial post and quite a few times my player went into finesse dribble rather than do the skill. This wouldn't have happened last year, the worst that could have happened was that you'd do a body swerve instead of the skill. Talking of body swerves - last year was so much more intuitive - running along, flick the RS up or down and you'd drop a shoulder. Now you have to hold R2 then flick the RS and it takes away massively from the immediacy of doing a quick feint.

Maybe I need more practise but it seems a pretty pointless change, unless I'm completely missing something.

Coming home to finally play Pes (and going out again in a 2 hours something)= subway closed and gotta wait for the bus. I love my country :LOL:

See mate this seems completely disingenuous. The examples i showed are me just deciding to randomly record when I was playing not creating any ideal situations or me spending the whole time dribbling to make the point. The reason I did the double tap a bit further away was nothing to do with safety zones it was because there was space behind him and I knew iwobi was faster than the defender and would make it to the ball before him. If there was no space behind him I would have had to get closer to him but it's organic. He goes with the wrong foot because he expected me to go the other way. Yes anticipation is part of football and you would expect any professional defender footballer to have an aspect of anticipation about their play. Which is why you see good dribblers able to put defenders on the floor because they anticipated wrong completely and try to move the other way too quickly.

I see you also ignored my physical battle with the defender where I beat him easily in the battle.

So I'm sure you can explain then, why I find it so difficult to dribble with, for example, Mane against Sheff Utds full back? Or is it because I need to learn the game?

Because the experience I'm having is that you just get swamped by aggressive closing down and barged off the ball with no foul. Happens quite a lot. It was a lot more balanced on pre patched not to mention there was a little time to take stock of the field.

View attachment 19686
1/ Fouls & physicality. In the demo, pressuring by holding Square or X was punished heavily. If skilful enough, players could anticipate the tackle and shift bodyweight to evade it. We know that some foul decisions were wrong in the demo, but in the Day 1 patch, players now tackle through the back or side, often knocking over the ball carrier, without any fouls being given. The demo’s physicality gave players more time on the ball, allowing them to use the wonderful new finesse system. Unfortunately, on the latest build, finesse touches are punished by opponents who quickly press, without fear of giving away fouls.

spot on!

You can dribble past players really effectively especially with quick players.. Use close control then sprint double tap sprint to create the space once clear they won't catch you... Also using super cancel when in control of the ball to quickly change direction is a good tool

You can dribble past players really effectively especially with quick players.. Use close control then sprint double tap sprint to create the space once clear they won't catch you... Also using super cancel when in control of the ball to quickly change direction is a good tool

What's Close control?

First advice is get off myclub if you want to actually learn how to play the game and enjoy it first. There is alot of various factors involved in myclub.

1. You start off with horrible players with terrible stats so they have poor defensive and attacking stats you can't expect them to be any good as they aren't they are pure crap as you can tell from playing with them.
2 There is the team spirit and manager relate ability stats. These are huge factors on how the team performs in myclub. You could have a team of superstars but if the TS is low then the play and positioning will be out of sync, players won't make runs properly etc. The manager relate-ability stat is important again because if you bring in a new manager, the first 10 games or so the players get used to the style and eventually learn and then everything flows well.
3. The last thing is myclub is a win at all costs mode so at the beginning its a real grind as you have people playing on PA2/3 just to cheat the game into a win and try to exploit any game weakness so you need to make sure you are up to scratch on techniques like advanced super cancel and physicality/shielding.

My advice is play offline and learn the game a bit with decent players where you can take your time and not worry about things like team spirit and team compatibility and you can set the difficulty low and gradually go up.

If you really can't stand playing the AI then jump into online divisions where you have full teams with no team spirit issues and will play and jell properly.

Thanks for your advice, makes sense. My biggest gripe is the players response and their inability to attempt to go for the ball when it's stopped a yard away from them. Does this not happen in any other modes, is it just a myclub thing or something fundamental with the game mechanics? It's the only thing in the game which stops it behaving like proper football

I get that a lot, it's to do with the hard drive. I replaced the stock PS4 HDD with a bigger one, but there are times when it can't access data as quickly as it should be able to. With some games that means a longer loading time. With PES, it just gives up...

I can confirm this also happens on PC, even for exhibition matches. Once in every 4 or 5 times the kits fail to appear, I have to go back to the main menu and into a match again to get them to display. I have the PESit option file loaded.

Currently holding my finger above the button to buy the game... Trying to resist though. It might take a couple hours lol.
Just go with the flow. Or pretend you sneezed and pressed the button by accident.
These little annoyances will be patched with a bit of luck. There is huge amount of feedback there and they seems to be responding accordingly. Feedback is also very mature and aimed at the right things.
..and even with all the 'issues' - its still a very solid game now.

The skills list menu is pretty poor at explaining things isn't it (shock! :D)

Auto-feint appears to work like this -
* makes basic skills all the same input and picks one at random.
* locks you out of the advanced skills completely
* BUT it makes intermediate skills much easier to do - because these are the ones that are most effective anyway that is why I believe most people will be perfectly fine keeping auto-feint on.

So, I'm sure you already know that the skills list changes depending on whether auto feint is on or off:

Auto-feint off Auto-feint on
The only skills this causes a problem with is basic step-overs because for some reason they're all the same input!

As far as I can work out all 3 of these are done completely at random with auto feint on, unless a player has a specific trait such as 'multiple step-overs', in which case they'll always do that.

When you get to the intermediate skills however this is where auto-feint is really useful.

Take the 'Marseille Turn' as an example, instead of having to spin the right stick around, with auto feint on it's nothing more complicated than View attachment 19685 on the right stick and View attachment 19688 on the left stick.

All the other intermediate skills work in the same way; point the left stick one way, point the right stick another, and each combination will do a different skill. Simple. To learn which direction does what it's best to just work them out yourself with a bit of trial and error, and the skills list is horrible at explaining it.

In case you're worried on missing out on something by turning auto-feint on; the only skills you'll be locked out of are ones like the '3 touch roulette' like this:
ezgif-3-5a8e4fade674.gif

It looks cool, but the animation is so long, and pressure is so powerful that it makes skills like this totally uneffective in 99% of situations anyway, so you're really not missing out on them.

So people have it ON?

Its way better than 19, better than 18 and still trying to make my mind up about 17. Id say when fouls get sorted this will be best Pes we had in the last decade.
hated 19, 18 was ok but had zero fouls, 17 was my favourite footy game for a long time and only just stopped playing it. I think this is way better. Obviously down to opinion but 17 was very end to end. As I'm getting used to it i'd say I'm getting as many fouls now Celtic V Rangers 2nd time round i had 6, other games I've had 4 or 5 especially championship teams. I'm not saying there couldn't be more as there could especially pens (had 1 so far) but even in pes 17 there were games i only had 2 or 3 fouls but mostly it was between 5 and 7. Didn't get many penalties at all in 17.
What would be good is if they made dive work more effectively - in 2018 there was a period after following a Youtube tutorial you could dive on contact and win a pen. I remember getting 2 in one game - but then it stopped working i assume patched out. Same now, i have dived during an advantage and got booked...?!!?

So I'm sure you can explain then, why I find it so difficult to dribble with, for example, Mane against Sheff Utds full back? Or is it because I need to learn the game?

Because the experience I'm having is that you just get swamped by aggressive closing down and barged off the ball with no foul. Happens quite a lot. It was a lot more balanced on pre patched not to mention there was a little time to take stock of the field.

Maybe drop the difficulty down mate then build up again. Look at posts from @OBH who has shown a skill which is perfect to use against the AI. Then work on combining skill moves, double tap, left stick feints with RS moves. I showed a video on the previous page of me using Iwobi (not exactly the best dribbler but has decent ball control) as you can see I didnt have any trouble on superstar tearing up Watford's defence. Obviously if I was trying that against liverpool's defence I would expect a different outcome.

What's Close control?
in my set up L2 but i switch it from R1 so i assume for you holding R1... So i face up hold L2 to bring in close control then double tap R2 to sprint away. Also look at the defenders position and the way they are leaning to wrong foot them, its deeper than it looks but once you get it you can go past people but not just by sprinting with fast players

Back
Top Bottom