eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

Does this have an equivalent mode to FIFA's career mode, playing as a player and not a manager?
I like playing without worrying about formations, subs etc.

How do you expect it to be realistic if you set it as large though? For a club like Barcelona, setting it on Normal would already have a high budget, so a large budget is supposed to be huge.
Dont know how familiar you are with economics but 3 billion is over fantasy with today's terms. Barcelona roster according to transfermarkt has net worth of 1,18 billion. So even if we assume that a club like Barca has 500 million transfer budget a realistic HIGH setting would be 700milion or 1 billion at best, to the limits of fantasy mode. But 3 bilion is completely an amount a country can spend not a football club. With 3 billion you can buy 3 times the whole roster of Barcelona, it is completely off, in any setting.

Last edited:
Hey guys,
Wow what a week.. PES has once again taken over my life.. my thoughts.. my focus. Both my partner and dogs have been very accepting of my condition. Anyways, Id just like to say, to me, this PES2020 isnt just the best game since which ever version you thought was the peak for the PES series (eg pes5 or we9le or pes6/we10jl) - Its the best PES to date, period. I can honestly say i have no need to ever go back and play any previous version of PES. I dont think i ever will. Enough of the giddy crap...

Now, rather than repeating a lot of whats been said by others (ill atleast try to limit it), here are some thoughts/things ive noticed that may or may not have been mentioned (on Ps4, post patch 1.02, SUPERSTAR, Full Manual Passing and Shooting, default speed, 20min Exhibition games only at this stage):

Positives:

+ Manual Shooting has improved big time, in terms of variety, definitely more stat based and error prone. Ive made way more miss hits including over the bar that were never present in 19, eg. Volleys, as seen in video below, can now often go over the bar: In Pes2019 i went back to using 'basic' shoot, as this increased variety. Now im back to Manual due to the noticable improvement in variety/errors. Also not every shot is consistenly as powerful as in previous years.. some long rangers are weak, all seems to depend on position and even the foot you use (not 100% certain of this yet).

+ :R2 finesse shot has FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY (After being broken for 3 years, since pes15) been 'UNBROKEN'. It WORKS!!! First thing i did when i got the game was go to free-training, with Barcelona, practicing full manual r2 finesse shots with messi, using L2 aiming at the same time to guide my direction. No longer do the shots go rediculously wide of the aiming arrow(target).. no longer is the curl itself limited. Now, it practially works the same as it does with basic shooting. Its the main reason im back at Manual shooting.

+ :AI variation has improved big time, and much improved over the demo. The way they build up now is amazing.. the ai will pass back if pressured CORRECTLY.. pass around the edge of the box (final third) more patiently than ever before. Often i get to the point where the AI looses patience and then hoofs the ball upfield and then lose it due to me winning the header. You can really put pressure on the AI which affects what they do. Also, not only has the AI's approach to goal improved, but the variation in actual goal scoring has increased a great deal ... AI no longer just blasts shots in the top corner when one on one. Now, finally, we have AI placing low shots in the corner... theres also an increase in long range efforts. Ive also seen some real crazy attempts at goal which i havent seen before..including long range volleys and scissor kicks. And certain players will almost always take you on and try dribbling through the final 3rd, cut in and take a shot. That means an improvement in Player ID, which includes the variation and types of skills they use to dribble past players. Im seeing them using all sorts of faints/stepovers.. not just the generic ones used in Demo.

+ :As above, AI take you on more, dribbling wise - and with more variation.

+ :AI makes more errors during game, misplaced passing (im seeing more than what i saw in demo) and shots on goal. And im finding it easier to block shots and easier to time sliding interceptions. Feels great when you pull it off.. intercepting and knocking the ball onto the path of a teammate adds so much to this game.

+ Freekicks now seem harder (maybe vs. better keepers only) and its very possible to block the AI's freekicks via the wall jump (the timing of jump seems like a very necessary skill this year). See this video as an example of a great cpu save vs me on superstar, plus a couple of blocks i did against them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbauUm38pNU
Now some negatives:

- and + : There are a lot of negative changes to stadiums/turf i considered great in pes2019 (here im talking about sunny daytime conditions). Many of the lush dark green turf have been excessively brightened.. where the turf looks like its been dried out on a hot summers day. And.. they got rid of my all time most used stadium of Pes2019 - Estadio Nacional de Chile (anyone got info on this?? is it lost for good??).
On a positive, i
ve also seen many stadiums/turf which have improved.. eg. both Scottish stadiums. Im also
loving the increased number stadiums that now have the turf mostly covered in shade. The lighting for these are great. e.g. shalke, munich allianz stadium and the first san siro. Night games look amazing this year.

- :The pace/speed of game has inscreased compared to demo. As a work around, I started playing at -1 which was definitely closer to the demo re pace of game, but it also kinda makes things feel more sluggish. So ive found a workaround/fix so to speak: Now back to Default speed, I NOW PLAY ALL GAMES WITH 'LONG GRASS' and it seems to slow things down. I think playing with Grass Length makes a better more natural impact on gameplay than changing game speed. Things definintely feel more weightly and slower with the grass being set to long - feels very similar to the weightiness of the demo.

- : Balls seem smaller in the retail version. It could just be more or my warped perception of late, but it really seems the ball has physically gotten smaller. Im talking about in gameplay..but also at kick off, that close up of the foot on the ball, it just looks too small in ratio to the player. Still looks realistic and no where near as bad/small as Fifa's Size 3 ball issue, but i swear the ball looked bigger and more realistic in the demo. Come on guys, is this just me??? It could have something to do with a change to the lighting and shading around the ball???

- : Replays still suck!!! We need to be able to play replays in our chosen gameplay view. Also, there should be a view changer button/function available during match hightlights, being able to sort through all the possible angles while highlights are shown. We need to be able to really appreciate the beauty of this game.

- : is it just me, or can you no longer crack the ball into the open goal as a celebration. I did this in the demo, but seems i cannot do it in the retail version. I may be pressing the wrong button?? Its R2 or Square right???

- : Although i wouldnt say fouls have totally gone, i did prefer the way the demo worked in regards to having to be careful of just going in and pressing x. A simple fix to this foul situation or lack of, is having a pre match setting where you have 3 refs to choose from: lenient, normal, strict. Simple as that.

Well thats all i can think of for now. Itll be really interesting to see just how affective the new PES Developers Facebook stuff will be. Its certainly a step in the right direction.

This, this, this. Could not agree more with your observations.

Went to -1 / professional at first and it slowly allowed me to adapt and appreciate 2020. Helping me overcome the shock and horror of switching from the demo which i was so in tune with.

Every match after that confinced me more and more that the beauty of the demo is still in there, but you have to work a little harder to see it. Its simply a much more difficult game compared to the demo, because it requires more effort to keep control over the ball and your players positioning.

But after it clicked on -1, i went back to default speed with long grass and it felt just a tad slower as before, still too fast but playable. Because i felt more in control over the pace of the match now, i am finding it more enjoyable then before. Put it down to regular as well, which is perfect (hell, there is no shame in this to learn the game because i am back to square one with this one).

Still think this game is too fast on default but in the end i prefer to play the game how it is intented by the devs and without any articificial sluggishness.

By now, i kind of understand the rationale behind the choices regarding the full game. It does feel more polished, more capable of challenging us for a full year. But i still hope they can rebalance things slightly to get that 'i am playing football' feeling more pronounced again then the 'i am playing an exellent video game'.

Last edited:

EEOs-YkXoAEHlmf

Great design.
Wish the menus were that creative

Very unique trailer. It's mix between EA style and typical Japanese. I Like it!

There should be 10 000 empty slots for the "block list" online, I'm slowly using all mine on PA-2-3 users...

Someone beat me (Turkey) 5-0 with PSG last night. I then got this message telling me I'm crap (oh, how creative dude!) which of course happens from time to time but I rarely answer. I did this time though, saying; "it's fine losing since the cpu helped you, you obv where using PA3,I hope you had fun!". I love his response to that; "Yeah, I wish there was a PA4 so I could beat you 10-0!". I found that pretty funnt tbf! :)

Anyway, on PA1 you have to go through about 3-5 horrible PA-2-3 matches to find 1 PA1 match which usually are pretty great though. BUT, I Think I'll be sticking to PA0 this year, I have found it quite easy to find other PA0- people but I guess it's because the game is fresh.

Last edited:
I've had a defe.der sent off, multiple yellow cards (mostly slide tackles) had penalties against me etc.
In myclub I'm wondering if it's actually cost effective to buy a loan player for 10 games at 4000gp... it's not much more than a 10 match contract renewal and it saves a 25k gp spin to get a 78 rated player

Sad economics but true ?

Uploading now. Really interesting.

One game had many fouls, the other had some AND a penalty. And yet only one of them is the demo... No tricks. :D

I have to say... Yeah. I felt more difference than I've felt before. I won't say more until you've seen the vids, because there are interesting moments in both.

Can't import via USB because to do so, you have to be connected to Sony and to Konami's servers for it to verify you're signed in and 18 years old (a custom content legal requirement on Sony's behalf). Doesn't matter what version it's from - if you're trying to import to an earlier-than-current version, it won't work.

What a way to start this morning, thanks :D

I'm getting enough fouls per game by the way.

Yes, started to play more with L1 close dribble and RS in tight situations and seeing more free kicks against me by the CPU.
How did you shield the ball with Tevez in the middle of the pitch, let go of all buttons?
And how did you dummy ball through legs?

To dummy, simply let go of all buttons when the ball is near while only holding R2.

Shielding is just a matter of positioning your back against the opponent while not using sprint. When locked in shield u can use L1 to quickly turn away, like Tevez does.

RS is also very effective while locked in shield. I guess with a skilled player you can make a nice transition from shield + RS into a R1 + LS to dash away. Not really tried it yet.

But yeah, using L1 and or RS during shielding increases the chances of holding the ball or winning the freekick. Its really helping me take on the AI with more confidence.

I am loving this game,

Did a cup mode with random teams on Top PLayer, I was PSG;

Round of 16, I drew 2-2 with Betis, they were the better team, i was lucky to equalize and go ahead, then they pulled me back i injury time. In extra time my players were exhausted and they pushed me hard, they hit the post twice, I was lucky to go through

Q/F I beat Birmingham 6-0 (nice to see, wanted to get feel of how poorer teams played, in PES 2019 all teams were tough to beat regardless of rating) they were just bad, my players pace and power and skill were too much

Semi final against Inter was an amazing match I won 4-3 (was down 1-0, won a penalty from an elbow in the face on Neymar) Lautaro scored a hat trick, he was terrorizing my defense

Final against Arsenal, I won 3-0, they were never at the races, It felt great, like I outplayed them, i wanted it more, no scripting, no final boost for AI, it was so pleasurable (Cavani arrow was down, I started Choupa and he scored a powerful header to make it 1-0, Like my decision to start him was vindicated ,good old PES feeling)

If you enter the "manage game" menu, where you can uninstall the game or copy/move it, does it allow you there to uninstall a patch? Or is that just DLC/saved games that you can remove separately from the game install?

I believe you can only uninstall DLC that way but if I'm correct, the way PES works on XB the updates are not seen as DLC so you cannot do this. Would need confirmation though.

On the subject of fouls , it really is a matter of drawing them out. There were more in the demo, yes, but the logic behind them was deeply flawed (collision=foul, more or less). I actually prefer it this way and can get 3 or more pretty consistently.

Otherwise (on pc) I'm still not seeing these massive differences between full game and demo. I have the feeling it's going to be a good 'un this year. Master League incoming.

People loving the fouls system in the demo, how would you feel if that system was in the full game and you were in a grand final or your a struggling side on the verge of drawing a game against a big team and you cop a bullshit penalty in the final minutes which you clearly got the ball but because you touched him like a flea it’s a penalty, to me that’s a crack disk and vent in here they shouldn’t of implemented it if they hadn’t got it right. Those fouls were happening a lot in the demo, I believe they are very close, we should be good next pes for that.

@xPJRx 00:02 Pass goes through defender.. what Passing Support do you play with ?

I play on PA1 passing.

The ball didnt go through the defender, it went behind him on his blindside.

Just played the clip back frame by frame on youtube, heres a sequence of 3 pics showing the ball travelling on Luiz's Blind side, behind him, you can see him looking in the opposite direction so doesnt see the pass to cut it out.

A8zruwf.png

XRKSpAf.png

gMYxeYn.png

Back
Top Bottom