eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

@Chuny Good work! be interested to see if you can get the LUT extracted from the PC version, and load into FCPX or similar NLE video editor and use those LUT values against a high res grass pitch image and see how they affect it.
Its definitely PES at fault for translating the HDR values and not some awry TV settings.

Speaking of the colours, I didn't know this:

Has anybody out there made kits that use neon colours this year? (I'm assuming it's related to HDR.)

I'd love to see them and see if it makes a real difference!

Chris, this is my Dog & Duck Pub ML team 3rd kit, in neon anthracite yellow/green.
Looks amazing in-game, really stands out.

vXRVePfl.png

Ok, finally got to play a couple of games, fired up MyClub, did the first two introductory competition games.. First one was versus another 1 star side, turned out to be quite a battle, managed to nick a goal just before half time then defended for my life to win 1-0! Absolutely brilliant game, can't fault my opponent, I just managed to keep a bit more possession and stopped him creating too much!

Second game versus a 4 star side, thought I was going to be hammered.. Fortunately he wasn't a spammer of any sort, I managed to keep him pretty much at bay and a combination of Castledine, Falcao and Portillo finally unlocked his defense in the 83rd minute to snatch another 1-0 victory.

That's all I have had time for so far.. Won't lie, I can not see what people are complaining about pace, passing, shooting or dribbling wise. I loved the demo, this just feels like a more polished version of that. I had misplaced passes, off balance passes going astray, shots being mishit, poor first touches (my white ball cmfs need about 10 yards of space to be safe!) Reading these boards these past couple of days I thought it was going to be a shocker, as it is, its bloody brilliant in my (so far limited) opinion. I will try some offline stuff tomorrow when the live update comes out and I can start my Master League. Otherwise I am gonna get back to playing MyClub and enjoy it! Felt like I could shut opponents down, really closing down the gaps and space to prevent passes rather than pressing like sooo many others do. My defenders felt responsive, unlike last year, and at no point did a defender just stand still and not try and win a header, which as far as I am concerned now makes this game of the decade (I jest of course).

Also, one concern is how quickly players are levelling in MyClub. I have played two games and Castledine is up to level 6, Musonda is up to 15 (using a 4000xp trainer).. Seems like they are going up pretty quick, Musonda has gained +2 on most of his stats. If that is going to be standard then you won't need featured players, just play a few silver and bronze ones and reap the benefits! Could need toning down a tad!

Ah, so it's the annual demo is better than full game again. To me there's not much a distinct different between the demo and the final code. The ball is certainly not magnetized. I have seen few instances CPU completely misjudged the ball from a long cross.

Agreed. I came over from the "other game" so take this with a grain of salt BUT I feel the same way. I played the crap out of the demo, installed 1.02 patch and haven't noticed any distinguishable differences other then fouls being called less.

I don't mind this though. Playing 20 mins, professional/top player, PA1... I had a Milan V. Inter exhibition game that hand 13 total including 2 yellow cards. The shoulder bumps and 50/50 battles are what isn't being called which if fine.

I've tried but I can't with 1.02. I'love the AI but ball controll, ball freedom, randomess, physicality it's such important to me, and all of these feels and seems much worse.

Thinking seriously about purchasing physical PS4 copy.

Now, going to play a real friendly football match. I'm sure it can't be patched :LOL:

Hopefully they can reduce the motion blur in the replays and actually a height function to the 360 replay camera.
The motion blur on replays is so bad isn't it? It was in PES 2019 as well.
I agree, height function is an amazing addition for manual replays.

Most games use motion blur to hide those low framerates, specially on consoles.
Removing motion blur on those 30fps replays will make it worse, I think.
On PC, removing motion blur is not bad since you can set those 30fps replays/cutscenes to 60fps.

@Chuny
Great post (the one you sent to devs)
The only thing I would add (and whats very important IMO) is that a lot of people, who complained about fouls, now realise and admit that it had been tweaked too far.

As I dont have facebook account anymore, id ask all those with such to give them feedback on it. Especially the ones who wanted fouls to be reduced and now are in agreement that there should be more.

Its not as much about the amount of fouls. The issue is that defending has been dumbed down. You dont need to be careful, you dont need to take your foot of the gas anymore as spamming X will do the job for you. Defending in the demo was one of most rewarding defending systems we ever had. Was it a side effect of strict referees? Maybe, but thats what made it.
They should only tweak collision detection when players are having an air battle and get tangled together while landing. And also the ones where player is kicking the ball and his animation is catching incoming defender causing foul. These stupid little fouls should go away, but all the others, caused by tackles should stay.

Now I still havent play it myself and Im just relying on opinions here, but things like timed tackles, pass errors, first touch error - these are the key elements that made this demo so beautiful and as close to a real match as we could get with current gen.

So hit them up boys and let them see how many of us is in there.

Agreed. I came over from the "other game" so take this with a grain of salt BUT I feel the same way. I played the crap out of the demo, installed 1.02 patch and haven't noticed any distinguishable differences other then fouls being called less.

I don't mind this though. Playing 20 mins, professional/top player, PA1... I had a Milan V. Inter exhibition game that hand 13 total including 2 yellow cards. The shoulder bumps and 50/50 battles are what isn't being called which if fine.
The hard coded derbies are really great ,doesn't play as tough when you set rivalries your self,I had San insane game between my Genoa and Sampdoria

Give feedback guys. And please, for the love of everything lovely, don't tell them it's "too slow" ;)

Be aware that there is a suggestion thread, but also af bug thread.

Ugh.. Scrolling down these threads.... Very interesting what this would mean for us... I'm not sure when i read something like this:

1)The game feels sluggish as the players react to controller input too slowly
2)everyone seems to have the same running speed, unless it’s a CPU controlled player
3) the midfield seems to be missing as you defend or attack.
4) there is too much distance between defense and attack, similar to how Chelsea played against Manchester United but in the game, all teams have the same setup
5) there are too many misplaced passes, regardless of the players skill or rating

My Tv is professionally calibrated, by a professional, and expensive AudioVisual Company, I paid for the service, I'm a stickler for details, so quite confident its as HDR fine-tuned as can be.

I tweaked the PES brightness settings too, turned brightness down a bit and contrast down but still in the 40's, this with HDR Off, for me personally, makes turf's pop, night matches look lush and green rather than washed out yellow, Day matches show good contrast between sun soaked pitches and shade, I just much prefer it with HDR off.

I've never touched any settings for any other game, streaming service etc and these all look fantastic on my calibrated HDR TV, so I'm pretty confident that its PES that doesn't accommodate HDR very well.

Pretty interesting. Mine looks great (LG C8) HDR Game mode. Glad it looks good on SDR though.

Same TV i have well same make, Mines is the B7 and it looks great but saying that i have only played at 4 stadiums so far, Ibrox, Juve's stadium, Old Trafford & Emirates. Ibrox looks incredible both day and night pitch wise and only done the other 3 during the day but they looked very realistic. Will test out non HDR later tonight.

C8 here. I haven't tried Ibrox but the other 3 look stunning! I'll also try without HDR to compare.

Am I the only one who thinks this developers facebook page will just be another echo chamber for the "give us some faster and simpler games pllzzz" army? Sorry but I can't feel particularly optimistic..

In the meantime I hope they'll take the chance to start to be fucking clear on gameplay changes from a patch to another but, again, not particularly optimistic either..

Anyone else seeing strange colours in edit mode.

The red kit I used in previous PES games shows up as bright orange in edit mode, but red as normal on the pitch.

Pretty interesting. Mine looks great (LG C8) HDR Game mode. Glad it looks good on SDR though.
I just done a A-B test, Like i thought would happen is non HDR comes out more cartoony looking. HDR gets the kits spot on (tried with Arsenal n Man Yoo both in red kits) I think the only way you would prefer non HDR is you want that more garish over saturated in your face look.

Still not loving the pitches (official ones looks good)
Atmosphere...FFS!
It's on PES 6-13 level,even 19 were better,once again not official clubs
The Serie A licence (and others) are an absolute joke,no difference from earlier editions of "Italian league"
How can they screw things up this badly.
Gameplay (more fouls please) is still solid.
But the things mentioned above is so good damn poor

Still not loving the pitches (official ones looks good)
Atmosphere...FFS!
It's on PES 6-13 level,even 19 were better,once again not official clubs
The Serie A licence (and others) are an absolute joke,no difference from earlier editions of "Italian league"
How can they screw things up this badly.
Gameplay (more fouls please) is still solid.
But the things mentioned above is so good damn poor

They didn't screw anything up. They just decided not to do anything at all.

Just played five very different matches. And I found love. It is more responsive than the demo, which increases the individuality and the difference within the good players and the best players, in my experience. It is such a joy. It does feel different, as I'd say PES 6 and 5 felt different.

And the things you can do with that ball, god!!!

Also, found the IA playing very diverse, both between matches and between moments of the game, which is very nice.

PS: I do miss the fouls, but played PSG vs Paris and they did foul me a lot since they weren't able to take the ball away from my far more skilled players.

PS2: As far as paced, if you play with very top teams, on a short length not dry grass it does feel much more faster than the demo; but if you play with not so top teams on long and dry grass, it feels way slower than the demo. That's really good.

Last edited:
I'm not sure when i read something like this:

1)The game feels sluggish as the players react to controller input too slowly
2)everyone seems to have the same running speed, unless it’s a CPU controlled player
3) the midfield seems to be missing as you defend or attack.
4) there is too much distance between defense and attack, similar to how Chelsea played against Manchester United but in the game, all teams have the same setup
5) there are too many misplaced passes, regardless of the players skill or rating
But I would agree with all of that, except for #5, which I would vehemently disagree with.

Where the problem arises is, if Konami worked on that list, you know PES 2021 would be twice as fast, with jelly-like players insta-ping-ponging everything. Because they don't seem to make subtle changes any more (see fouls, from the ref stopping play every five minutes in the demo, to my current average of 0.8 fouls per game).

It feels like it's either, put up with the bad stuff and keep quiet, or register valid complaints and watch them break it in the opposite manner...

OK folks. My time.

First of all: You are all a bunch of over-reactors.
And I say that with L.O.V.E.

Full Game (V 1.02) isn't bad. And it isn't all that different to the demo.
I didn't feel it's been sped up AT ALL. I still got quite a few fouls in most of the games I played. and the little gem is still there.

HOWEVER - Players do seem to be less prone to error in passing and in first touch control from both human-controlled players and also CPU. Which is something I highly valued in the Demo on PA1. I had to play on manual passing after the second match because the zero error was just too much.

I felt there's less freedom and less player individuality than in the demo, which is the worst part for me. And I think this is what they've been meaning when saying that the game's been "tightened".
It's not like 60% worse or "back to 2019". But it is indeed worse. Enough to be noticed fairly quickly.

Responsiveness issues are still there, although that doesn't really bother me much because I think it forces you to stay sharp and alert.

Shooting still feels great as in the demo. If anything, it's even better.

Can I live with all this?.
Yes. Specially because I will be hoping that from this point forward, with every new official patch they give us back some of those elements from the demo. And I think they will.

But it's not a different game. It's still PES 2020 from the Demo.

Just my 50 cents...
Seems a fair enough review, even though for imo the 2 negative aspects you mentioned are really a game changer (for the worst)
What difficulty do you play? Is v1.0.2 on console the same as pc only version?

My Tv is professionally calibrated, by a professional, and expensive AudioVisual Company, I paid for the service, I'm a stickler for details, so quite confident its as HDR fine-tuned as can be.

I tweaked the PES brightness settings too, turned brightness down a bit and contrast down but still in the 40's, this with HDR Off, for me personally, makes turf's pop, night matches look lush and green rather than washed out yellow, Day matches show good contrast between sun soaked pitches and shade, I just much prefer it with HDR off.

I've never touched any settings for any other game, streaming service etc and these all look fantastic on my calibrated HDR TV, so I'm pretty confident that its PES that doesn't accommodate HDR very well.
Do you mind sharing your in-game brightness and contrast sliders mate? Can you remember what number you’ve got them both set at?

Just played five very different matches. And I found love. It is more responsive than the demo, which increases the individuality and the difference within the good players and the best players, in my experience. It is such a joy. It does feel different, as I'd say PES 6 and 5 felt different.

And the things you can do with that ball, god!!!

Also, found the IA playing very diverse, both between matches and between moments of the game, which is very nice.

PS: I do miss the fouls, but played PSG vs Paris and they did foul me a lot since they weren't able to take the ball away from my far more skilled players.

PS2: As far as paced, if you play with very top teams, on a short length not dry grass it does feel much more faster than the demo; but if you play with not so top teams on long and dry grass, it feels way slower than the demo. That's really good.

All of this is in Legendary level, by the way.

Chris, this is my Dog & Duck Pub ML team 3rd kit, in neon anthracite yellow/green.
Looks amazing in-game, really stands out.

vXRVePfl.png

That's bloody beautiful. I am no graphic designer so have just been using pes masters kit creator to make mine. Do you mind me asking what program you used to make it and how you got that screen shot of it like that?

Been playing all day & struggling to enjoy it anywhere near as much as the demo. It all feels very linear. It just doesn't excite me at all now the feeling of "anything could happen" has gone.

Probably gonna step away from it for a few days & get stuck into the modern warfare beta then come back with a clear head & try again.

Anyone else seeing strange colours in edit mode.

The red kit I used in previous PES games shows up as bright orange in edit mode, but red as normal on the pitch.
I noticed a weird colour line. If you look at the kit in the middle of the screen in edit mode it looks a different colour to when you look at it at the bottom of the screen (by moving the model using the right stick)

That's bloody beautiful. I am no graphic designer so have just been using pes masters kit creator to make mine. Do you mind me asking what program you used to make it and how you got that screen shot of it like that?
I've used PES Master for all kits this year; fantastic service and quality detailed templates.

Back
Top Bottom