eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

The more I play this the more I enjoy. To reiterate what I said before, it really makes you get out of the habit of working yourself into the perfect position to score before taking a shot. I think we have been conditioned by previous versions, and Fifa, to always try and get our players into a position where we know we are most likely to score.

Now, you have to think a hell of a lot more about what you do next - keep taking those extra touches to get into that perfect position and you'll lose the ball.

I'm also learning how to draw a lot more fouls. 6 conceded by the AI in my last game, as well as two yellow cards - acceptable for a 15 minute game in my opinion.

The biggest issue is not the number of fouls itself, it's those ones that should be a clear foul but are not given (usually physical contact that isn't directly a tackle).

Have not seen one single red card yet, and only three penalties in two ML seasons - not acceptable and needs looking at.

Free kicks too easy to score as well. Learnt how to stop conceding by taking control of the keeper, but scoring is still a problem. If you're not scoring them you're hitting the bar.

I’m poor...so I rely on judgements here for the purchase decision. It’s 5 hours worth of money in a game I’m not sure I’ll enjoy. 5 long hard hours of work.

I have seen some here hating demo, nitpicking to absolutely enjoying the full games while some (eg obh) loving it and not enjoying the current product. I don’t want you all to feel guilty in any way or form in swaying my decision, the choice is ultimately mine. I have stepped in and out of my apartment 10 time already only to read another trusted member change my mind. It’s a hurricane out there, and enjoying the experience.

the right stick is confusing. How do you do stepovers at pace? Every time I use the stick I slow down and cant sprint. Players can still do moves at speed they don't always need to slow to a stop to dribble.

You have to let go the sprint button but if you time it correctly you certainly do not have to come to a stop. Just let go of R1 after you kicked the ball, then hold R2 and choose a direction for the feint, and then when you close to the ball press R1 + LS in the direction you want to burst into. This is just a simple stepover, i havent tried doing multiple scissors (same but now when you hold R2 move RS up and down).

If they bring sliders it can be fixed i guess...
But we will have it in 2030

Well, if the Devs are really going to open an account on social media, and if it's really read and run by them, I think asking for Sliders will be a priority for most of us.

I'd love some Tranmere kits - my 74-year-old dad and I are Tranmere fans, and we play a Master League every year - I was thinking of doing a Tranmere ML with default ML players, for a change, now that lower league football feels so good! :D

LOVE This Chris. My dad and I used to play footy manager on the Spectrum + 2 when I was a kid growing up, I recently bought a Spectrum +2 with a ton of games off ebay, for memories sake, his face when I showed him.

Feel free to PM me Chris, I'll do some Tranmere kits for you, do you want the real life kits? if so no probs, if you wnat something bespoke/fantasy, let me know what you have in mind.

I was worried after I'd posted this @Chuny that it would be taken the wrong way.
Wasn't said with any hostility at all, I purely meant PES is a 'feel game, look at how many placebos, and differences of opinion about things exist within the community, its no good asking people whether he should buy or not as every persons idea of a good game, great game, crap game, things that annoy them, things they enjoy etc will all be different.

I simply meant best way to see is to go play it, and see if he enjoys it.

This is my post on the new Devs Team page:

PES 2020
Platform: Steam (PC)

I bought, downloaded and installed PES 2020. The Version that comes from Steam on Day One is 1.02. And the gameplay isn't the same as in the Demo. Demo was much much better because these elements have been altered:

-Feeling of Freedom.
-Players Individuality
-Passing Error for both Human and AI controlled players (on PA1)
-First Touch Control Error for both Human and AI controlled players
-Fouls

All these elements have been REDUCED in the final version of the game. There's less freedom, the game feels more on rails (like PES 2019). This also affects players individuality. Dribbling has been made less likely and effective which was one of the best things in the demo.

Passing and first touch on the ball now is always almost perfect every time. Playing on default settings (PA1) feels like players are always super-human. Never misplacing a pass. Never failing to control the ball. And this happens for both, the CPU and the human player. Football is full of errors and mistakes. It's a shame to have this reverted back to PES 2019 and 2018.

Fouls have also been reduced considerably.
I know a lot of people complained that the demo had too many fouls, but now there are just very few. I think finding the right balance from the CPU aggressiveness and misplaced tackles will be very important. We still want to get 5-6 fouls in a 10 minutes match. Not 1. Not 20.

Me and almost all the community hope you'll revert back the gameplay to PES 2020 Demo in the next update. Please run an official poll if you'd like to know for sure!

Also, from this point forward, moving on to a new engine for PES 2021 (as most of us hope), I'd like to stress the necessity of implementing Gameplay Sliders for PES. Giving the end-user the ability to tweak and adjust many, many gameplay elements for the offline player will be the best thing that could happen to the saga. A game-changer. Just like FIFA have had for the past 8 versions of the game. This is A MUST, in this time and era. Most other sports game have Sliders.

Thank you very much for your attention.

Keep up the good work!

Chuny (from Evo-Web).

The full version isn't terrible, but it's just not as good as the demo. More on rails, much faster, less randomness, AI pressuring like crazy. I played as Spurs vs Barnsley on top player, and Barnsley were pressuring me like crazy, leaving a lot of space for me to just pass and run into. Won it 6-0. I basically just walked over them. In real life, they would sit deep deep and hit Spurs on the counter, obviously. I saw that in the demo, teams sitting back against better opposition, trying to counter attack, making them a pain in the ass to break down and hard to defend against. Haven't seen it in the full game yet.

I reckon there's an enjoyable game in there though, just disappointed yet again that the demo is so much better than the full version. Every god damned year.

The worst part of yearly releases is the feeling of being a guinea pig in a sense; we're constantly having to play an ever changing product as the developer tries to find the right balance for them and for the playerbase.

It's always fun to watch the reactions of everyone who buys stuff on release. Honestly, I feel like we'll never know what a yearly sports game is really going to be like until at least a few months after release because the early patches are usually the most dramatic ones as they try to find their balance.

So I think I'll be holding off until at least the end of January unless it's really cheap on black Friday.

I think this game is at its best is when it plays loose; imperfect touches, imperfect shots. That's what the demo did well imo. There realism in that. Problem is, in the digital realm, realism = rng and rng takes away from skill in player vs player. Konami obviously cares a great deal about online play these days.

So it's tough. Where do they find the right balance because it doesn't appear that they'll implement 2 separate styles of gameplay for offline and online.

I've moved away from the stadium cam ,and gone back to the cam I've used since PES 15
Stadium cam,looks good etc,but crossing/heading is not powerful enough on it,plus shooting,through balls are weird as hell
Even if you take away the angle of the cam,it just gets weird.
Happy with my old cam,maybe return back to stadium once I'm ready for it.

Atmosphere!
Remember the older Pes games where you could set your stadium atmosphere?
Italian
South American
British
That's exactly how the atmosphere in this game is,very very poor and generic (licenced teams no clue though)

Still liking the core gameplay though,best in a long time IMO

Well I can happily report the Xbox one version is version 1.0 out of the box..

So despite which version you choose you have the option of the demo build albeit less fouls..If you don’t update..

Plays real nice on the X..Lovely slow speed..

Version 1.0 for me is brilliant this year on both platforms..Stats definitely matter more and I just thinks it’s a more hardcore version all round..

Whatever version you choose enjoy!

I want to reiterate what @xPJRx said earlier. The game looks SO much better when HDR is turned OFF on PS4 Pro. (I don't know about Xbox, sorry.)

Can anyone who is technically minded explain why this looks weird in HDR? I just searched on Google and there's a Reddit thread in WEPES sub and others say exactly the same thing. It's weird because my other games look fantastic in HDR.

So I looked at that bookface thing and there are reasonable comments, but also a lot of nonsense. So far, the highlights for me are:

1. "bring back spinning ball animation to myclub"
2. "does pes2020 work for ps2?"
3. "add face for Ze Luis"

I think it's a great game, got to say, an 8/10. More fouls and it's a 9/10.
An 8.5 for me the now. I seem to be getting plenty of fouls (ai slide tackles alot) but its the keepers stopping it from a 9 or 9.5 they just seem to robotic /too clinical not human enough and especially on Superstar and even Top player.

Ball Psysics are next level i dont think any game produced so far comes close.

I want to reiterate what @xPJRx said earlier. The game looks SO much better when HDR is turned OFF on PS4 Pro. (I don't know about Xbox, sorry.)

Can anyone who is technically minded explain why this looks weird in HDR? I just searched on Google and there's a Reddit thread in WEPES sub and others say exactly the same thing. It's weird because my other games look fantastic in HDR.
Looks glourious in HDR on my TV. Saying that i have not tried to turn it off. Will give it a bash tonight. Usually turning off HDR will make your games look more cartoony as HDR is able to reproduce more colours/realistic colours. The Arsenal strip will be a good test as with HDR on it will get the right colour of red rather than a garish red.

Nxt-Gen when we move away from HDR and into Dolby Vision games are gonnae look so life like colour wise.

I'll take the keepers as they are if it means I don't have to see that matrix mid air floating saves ever again.

One of the reasons this is the first year I've bought the games in ages is cause they dive properly.

7 games without a win on my Genoa ML,finally had one Vs Sampdoria,3-2
Being a derby it was plenty enough of roughness.
6-9 in freekicks
4-4 in yellow cards
Two injuries for me,the last one after I'd made all my subs,saw the game out with 10 men
View attachment 19477
I now have a 1 month and a 3 month injury,only had two shorter before

One thing I've done is changing the cam,still stadium but without the angle.
Suddenly I can cross and head again
I've moved away from the stadium cam ,and gone back to the cam I've used since PES 15
Stadium cam,looks good etc,but crossing/heading is not powerful enough on it,plus shooting,through balls are weird as hell
Even if you take away the angle of the cam,it just gets weird.
Happy with my old cam,maybe return back to stadium once I'm ready for it.

Atmosphere!
Remember the older Pes games where you could set your stadium atmosphere?
Italian
South American
British
That's exactly how the atmosphere in this game is,very very poor and generic (licenced teams no clue though)

Still liking the core gameplay though,best in a long time IMO

Whats your camera settings? Struggling to find something that feels right.

Its purely down to how Konami accommodate HDR in PES, their use, or rather misuse/poor use of Luxe colour pallettes and shading, because of this your TV's HDR mode is unable to interpret the HDR signals sent to it by PES, via the PS4, so tries to compensate and the result is a washed out, saturated picture.

With that being said, PES 20 in 4k HDR looks very nice, but when you play summer day games with bright patches and shadows, alot of detail is lost in the overcompensation, and resulting oversaturation and overexposure of the picture, and when you upload to YT, it looks horrible.

Most other games look glorious in 4K HDR so its definitely a PES thing, same thing when I play PES on my 100" Cinema screen via a projector, I have to bump the in-game brightness/contrast down to silly numbers, like 4 for brightness, and 12 contrast, otherwise it looks abysmal, unwatchable, saturated bright mess, whereas every other game looks amazing, and colours are on point, Detroit Become Human being a prime example.

Back
Top Bottom