eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

Slighly off-topic post (sorry).
Had a bit of a false start with PES2020.
Turns out i must have the game for a few days, it was delivered in our garage and yesterday my wife saw that she had destroyed the game because she rode over it with the car. She immediately went after a new copy and gave that to me. This morning she confessed… i wondered because i had no download code for the My Club things, but basically i don't care because i never play My Club.

Stupid of the livery company to put the package in the garage without letting us now. My wife parked the car in there the day before yesterday round 10 PM...must have happened then.

How sweet of her...

I feel like she missed a chance if she didn't present you with the original disc and tell you that Pes is completely broken this year

Mate, please, for your own health and ours - just stop. And I mean this with kindness, and hugs.

But please - just stop :LOL: :)

I’m happy now..got it for the X..

Soz mikhail..Can’t do that patched gameplay(I tryed honest)..

I’m not saying there massively different the two versions(post/pre)..But and it’s a big but..For me the gameplay is better in version 1.0..

I’m tired of all this patching both companies do now..

Keeping it real and just how it used to be before the internet and community feedback..Let the casuals have there speed feast.Remember the days when the release version was the final version.

So the game is fine without the patch, is that it? But its possible not to installing it in PS4 version?

Good morning everyone.

The gameplay is much more random before the patch. If you buy it physical and don't apply the update its pretty close to the demo. I'll break down the pros and cons from pre patch and patch so far.

:Pre patch pros

- Very close to demo gameplay, just slightly refined
- Dribbling is much better
- CPU AI is much more varied in my opinion, various attacks and patterns of play, keeps you guessing
- CPU dribbles more
- Random deflections, mis controls and miskicks are much more present
- Passing is looser
- CPU cant barge back possession without giving a foul

Pre patch cons:

- Cant update, so you lose out to added extras
- Cant import images so you have to play with generic kits in certain leagues (i.e Liverpool)
- AI isn't as aggressive and leaves more space
- Game is more end to end (might be a pro depending!)

Patched pros:

- More aggressive AI although too aggressive for my tastes (depends on your game style)
- Better defensive A.I
- Data pack updates
- Importing of kits for all leagues
- Miskicks and stumbles and error touch are still there but watered down

Patched cons:

- Game feels faster
- Game is tighter, theres less random elements
- Passing is definitely more on rails
- CPU tend to be overly aggressive, stealing the ball back by barging not matter what player it is
- Lack of niggly free kicks overall. Challenges which are fouls are called less
- Hard to break down CPU
- CPU tend to show less variation in attack, either long direct balls or direct running
- Player switching is worse (imho)
- Dribbling is less effective
- Feels more like Pes 2019.5

I’m not saying there massively different the two versions(post/pre)..But and it’s a big but..For me the gameplay is better in version 1.0..

Keeping it real and just how it used to be before the internet and community feedback..Let the casuals have there speed feast.Remember the days when the release version was the final version.

You are correct. FIFA is the same. You get used to the game, it plays nice and then they patch it and its not the same. Sick to death of it frankly. Its like Russian roulette and when you are enjoying a game every patch can potentially break it for you.

I’ve got rid of yellow pitches guys! My game now has lush, deep greens!

On your tv, you should have a ‘Tint’ option/slider in settings.

Slide that towards G (Green). Not too much. And it gets rid of yellow pitch!

I remember in a previous PES there was a gamma option in the menus which helped correct saturated pitch colours, I'm not sure why they removed it.

I'm not a fan of changing my tv settings due to one game.

yeah guys , i think patched version makes game feels on rails again ;/ you can test it yourself by playing against teams like San Marino or Giblartaar and you will see that there is no longer many bad passes , random moments etc . eh..... :/

yeah guys , i think patched version makes game feels on rails again ;/ you can test it yourself by playing against teams like San Marino or Giblartaar and you will see that there is no longer many bad passes , random moments etc . eh..... :/
there are loads of miss placed passes, and random moments - i have just put a video up demonstrating a huge deflection followed by a goal - my early broadcasts show the same things - ive even scored goals from AI misplacing back passes - i understand this game getting a bit of stick for fouls but random moments, bad touches and mis placed passes no other football game can touch it

You are correct. FIFA is the same. You get used to the game, it plays nice and then they patch it and its not the same. Sick to death of it frankly. Its like Russian roulette and when you are enjoying a game every patch can potentially break it for you.

Same last year..Loved the vanilla version of fifa19 and never updated it.Despite the bugs and overhead kicks..Same with fifa16 and pes17(the last descent pes imo before pes2020).

Found the demo so refreshing compared to the tired samey ping pong football both companies have been churning out for years now..

It could be worse and pes2020 could of been Version 1.01.1 out of the box..I’m grateful for small mercy’s..Despite a slight kick in the nuts to fouls.

The gameplay is much more random before the patch. If you buy it physical and don't apply the update its pretty close to the demo. I'll break down the pros and cons from pre patch and patch so far.

:Pre patch pros

- Very close to demo gameplay, just slightly refined
- Dribbling is much better
- CPU AI is much more varied in my opinion, various attacks and patterns of play, keeps you guessing
- CPU dribbles more
- Random deflections, mis controls and miskicks are much more present
- Passing is looser
- CPU cant barge back possession without giving a foul

Pre patch cons:

- Cant update, so you lose out to added extras
- Cant import images so you have to play with generic kits in certain leagues (i.e Liverpool)
- AI isn't as aggressive and leaves more space
- Game is more end to end (might be a pro depending!)

Patched pros:

- More aggressive AI although too aggressive for my tastes (depends on your game style)
- Better defensive A.I
- Data pack updates
- Importing of kits for all leagues
- Miskicks and stumbles and error touch are still there but watered down

Patched cons:

- Game feels faster
- Game is tighter, theres less random elements
- Passing is definitely more on rails
- CPU tend to be overly aggressive, stealing the ball back by barging not matter what player it is
- Lack of niggly free kicks overall. Challenges which are fouls are called less
- Hard to break down CPU
- CPU tend to show less variation in attack, either long direct balls or direct running
- Player switching is worse (imho)
- Dribbling is less effective
- Feels more like Pes 2019.5

Thanks mate.

You two are breaking records in shifting opinion :D
I'm not going to deny that! But I've come to accept that PES 2020 is PES. And it's a damn good version of PES. No more, no less. I've got to stop expecting too much from both Konami and EA and just play & enjoy them for what they are.

PES 2020 is the best PES since PES 2013, I stand by that opinion.

I'm glad you've found your footballing nirvana though mate. I like PES 2020 post patch and can't be bothered to mess around with working out which is best etc. I just want to install transfers tomorrow, install the Option File and get my teeth into Master League proper.

There is no difference for me, I don't get what people are seeing, the demo and the full release are pretty similar from the experience I've had.

It almost feels like some are creating a problem that isn't there, I don't know. Yes fouls have reduced in a way but I'm still getting plenty in most matches, the physicality is superb as players really fight for the ball with their bodies.
Do you still have the demo? Try playing a game on superstar using exactly the same teams and settings, then go directly from that to the full game.

I'd be really interested to know if you still think it's the same.

I remember in a previous PES there was a gamma option in the menus which helped correct saturated pitch colours, I'm not sure why they removed it.

I'm not a fan of changing my tv settings due to one game.
In-game gamma settings won't change the colours. Loosely gamma means "adjusts the balance between bright and dark areas of the picture". You'd have to go into your tv / monitor settings to make proper colour adjustments.

I agree though that it's a bit much to change the settings for one game. If your TV allows for user presets to be saved then at least you could make one purely for PES.

Do you still have the demo? Try playing a game on superstar using exactly the same teams and settings, then go directly from that to the full game.

I'd be really interested to know if you still think it's the same.

In-game gamma settings won't change the colours. Loosely gamma means "adjusts the balance between bright and dark areas of the picture". You'd have to go into your tv / monitor settings to make proper colour adjustments.

I agree though that it's a bit much to change the settings for one game. If your TV allows for user presets to be saved then at least you could make one purely for PES.

The gamma option on that PES did help correct the pitch colour though, luckily I'm pretty good with calibrating TVs so mine looks nice still either way.

Last edited:

Disagree completely. I just played as england against kosvo and they were constantly misplacing passes and giving the ball back to me under very little pressure. They could barely make their way to my side of the pitch. This on superstar difficulty.

Someone already said something like this but the game itself might also be a bit of a schitzo. Playing Liverpool one one hand and Iceland on the other was quite different for me. Still, mad early, only managed 4 games so far.

May well be..My game against Chelsea was just insane speed wise post patch..

We haven’t got a fifa situation here post patch..Where you have games that just speed up to a insane level..

It was literally hyper football..I couldn’t keep up!

It's a weird one this year isn't it...

Yesterday i kept switching between the demo and the full game, 5 min, regular diff. on the full game and top player on the demo, as these two seemeed to be closer than top player demo and top player full game, mainly because of the agressivness.
After playing the full game for a while now i wasn't as shocked/deillusioned as i feared i might be when i started the Demo. The games do feel a bit different, but funnily enough i startet to mix them up in my head*...e.g. i would play a pass and it felt very weighty and bumby and the receiver had trouble getting it under control and i would immediately think "DEMO!!" but it was the full game (*it was late, i played the entire day and i was tired, so...)

Something weird about the final version - at least for me- is that it can feel very different at times...some matches i don't like at all because my players are sluggish and get shrugged off the ball the second they get touched, at other times i feel the freedom that i felt in the demo and i actually manage to get past players. Wonder how much of that has to do with team spirit and evenetually scripting (i'll get to my thoughts about scripting down below).

In terms of freedom and unpredictability i still believe the final game does a very good job, even though it's more rigid than the Demo. The AI in the Demo lacked overall awareness and aggressivenes which allowed for a very free and thoughtfull playstyle - i admit i loved this sense of freedom and creativity - that feeling of having time to observe and evaluate player runs...however i think i don't want a Master League where the AI never presses me and has absolute lack of awareness...
I believe that the more rigid feeling in the final game has a lot to do with the AI being a lot more agressive as well as aware and thus reacting to loose balls more...
I still see often enough very random deflections and bad touches, however the thing that bothers me about it, is that sometimes i feel like i have a disadvantage against the CPU by reacting to loose balls/win 50/50ies which destroys the freedom a bit again...honestly playing 15-20 games of Master Leauge last night - even though enjoable - made me think about scripting...I think scripting/stat boosting can be implemented in a good way, but it's the question how and to what extent...PES 19 neglected stats and just calculated a route/pass that you couldn't defend - baam low cross goal.
PES 20 imo feels like PES 17 in terms of "scripting"...At times playing Master League it seems impossible to win...i conceded 5 last minute rebound goals (meaning my goaly deflects the ball right into another strikers feet) and when playing the derby against river plate i lost 0:8...maybe it's all in my head and i still very much enjoy the gameplay but i feel disadvantaged against the CPU at times...not impossible to beat that, but it's hard, like in PES 17...i remember playing 17 and getting furious about what i suspected to be scripting, but nonetheless PES 17 was my favourite PES to this day.

We need the gameplay of version 1.0, guys let's feed this back to Adam and official pes. I Have already tweeted them about this

Someone already said something like this but the game itself might also be a bit of a schitzo. Playing Liverpool one one hand and Iceland on the other was quite different for me. Still, mad early, only managed 4 games so far.

Yeah. But if the core is right - why don't we wanna weird games? See this last Serie A round:

30.08.2019 20:45 Bologna – SPAL 1 – 0
31.08.2019 18:00 AC Milan – Brescia 1 – 0
31.08.2019 20:45 Juventus – Napoli 4 – 3
01.09.2019 18:00 Lazio – Roma 1 – 1
01.09.2019 20:45 Atalanta – Torino 2 – 3
01.09.2019 20:45 Cagliari – Inter 1 – 2
01.09.2019 20:45 Genoa – Fiorentina 2 – 1
01.09.2019 20:45 Lecce – Verona 0 – 1
01.09.2019 20:45 Sassuolo – Sampdoria 4 – 1
01.09.2019 20:45 Udinese – Parma 1 – 3

I can find a few weird games in there?

there are loads of miss placed passes, and random moments - i have just put a video up demonstrating a huge deflection followed by a goal - my early broadcasts show the same things - ive even scored goals from AI misplacing back passes - i understand this game getting a bit of stick for fouls but random moments, bad touches and mis placed passes no other football game can touch it

Show us - Post patch i guess?

SHOPTO still haven't delivered my game btw.. Do you think i'm getting frustrated?

Been reading the last few pages of comments, a mixed bag.

I will just say I'm thoroughly enjoying the game, I see lots of pass/shot error, the AI is good,fouls, whilst toned down from demo, are there, regularly get 5 or 6 per game, pace feels fine, and varies between teams, shooting is very good, context-driven, each match has an unpredictability.

This isn't me saying this as fact and disagreeing with everyone, its just my own personal view on the experience I am having.

Also for those on PS4 Pro, turn HDR off in PS4 display menu - Turfs pop, colours look much better, vibrant not washed out. HDR ruins the visual side of the game.

Fouls are easy to draw if you know how, dribbling, shielding the ball, maintaining possession, all agitate the COM into fouling, quick pass and move doesn't.

And a few goals since installing the PES Universe OF:

Disagree completely. I just played as england against kosvo and they were constantly misplacing passes and giving the ball back to me under very little pressure. They could barely make their way to my side of the pitch. This on superstar difficulty.

But the passing becomes to accurate even on pa0..When I play post patch I don’t have any fear of error or misplacing a pass..It’s all gun hoe..

I can ping pong it and everything just connects up as long as my player is facing forward or to the side..it’s only when I try to play a ball in the opposite direction to whichever I’m facing that it might be mishit..

It’s lots of little things..Touch,passing,physicality,speed that have changed.

It doesn’t make the post patch version awful(far from it)..Just to fast and much more simplified..The game loses something imo.

Another thing..I like the way the cpu is aggressive but also happy to contain when it should in the demo and version 1.0..You just have a little more space sometimes like in a real match..It’s the constant pressing in the post patch version.Always super direct which in-turn speeds the gameplay up..

Last edited:

Have to disagree with that...bad teams on
But the passing becomes to accurate even on pa0..When I play post patch I don’t have any fear of error or misplacing a pass..It’s all gun hoe..

I can ping pong it and everything just connects up as long as my player is facing forward or to the side..it’s only when I try to play a ball in the opposite direction to whichever I’m facing that it might be mishit..

It’s lots of little things..Touch,passing,physicality,speed that have changed.

It doesn’t make the post patch version awful(far from it)..Just to fast and much more simplified..The game loses something imo.

I play PA0 as well and i don't think it's really different from the demo...in both the demo and final game i could ping pong the ball if i had the space and players looked the right way...if anything i have more trouble now (which might have to do with bad player stats though)

My favourite moment in the full game (patched) so far.

Every game is a grind in my Ligue 2 ML. 1-0 away to league leaders Guingamp. Scored a goal from a punt forward to equalise, which made them start to push out more.

Then, this.

Feels good because it's the best (technically) goal I've scored - it's so rare to nail something like this, with my terrible players.

I think it's a great game, got to say, an 8/10. More fouls and it's a 9/10.

My favourite moment in the full game (patched) so far.

Every game is a grind in my Ligue 2 ML. 1-0 away to league leaders Guingamp. Scored a goal from a punt forward to equalise, which made them start to push out more.

Then, this.

Feels good because it's the best (technically) goal I've scored - it's so rare to nail something like this, with my terrible players.

I think it's a great game, got to say, an 8/10. More fouls and it's a 9/10.
Yeah it's an 8/10 for me as well. It's got issues, sure. But it plays a good game of video game footy.

maybe i am flogging a dead horse at this point but i bet this patch is just introduction of scripting. they do it every year since pes 15

barging through player to get recover ball no matter his physical stats? thats scripting. its cheating
passing on rails? easier to code interceptions-scripting

glad i didnt buy it now. will give fifa demo a go tonight but lets be honest that never does it for me

Back
Top Bottom