eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

I give up with the Superstar AI, I want to play against a challenging AI but I'm sick of it making itself challenging by cheating. Clearly Konami aren't capable of making a challenging enough AI experience so they let it cheat to get goals.

I already posted yesterday where my keeper inexplicably ran into the net to gift the opposition a goal and now there's this great bit of goalkeeping where the keeper just stands there and watches as it goes in with zero attempt to save it. I'm not saying it should definitely be saved but some sort of attempt would be nice! Don't know why I waste my time.

Ive never seen anything like this, I have no problems with the keepers and he looks unsighted to me but not sure if the game takes that into account

I give up with the Superstar AI, I want to play against a challenging AI but I'm sick of it making itself challenging by cheating. Clearly Konami aren't capable of making a challenging enough AI experience so they let it cheat to get goals.

I already posted yesterday where my keeper inexplicably ran into the net to gift the opposition a goal and now there's this great bit of goalkeeping where the keeper just stands there and watches as it goes in with zero attempt to save it. I'm not saying it should definitely be saved but some sort of attempt would be nice! Don't know why I waste my time.

He did not see this shot, because of the defender. That happens also in real life. I mean, i have a challenging AI on SS, cause what means challenging? It means you win some matches and you lose some matches, so you always have to be concentrated, cause AI is so unpredictable on SS. Do you win every match on SS or why is this no challenge for you?

Unsighted or not, PES 2020 in Master League on Superstar is bordering on unplayable at times.

@Emroth summed it up perfectly with his post. There are moments of brilliance in this game but they are buried under so much scripting and ugliness.

I’m finding so many matches to be turgid affairs where I’m fighting against the script, against my controller. I saw someone on Reddit compare PES 2020 to Dark Souls and went on to say “at least in Dark Souls, I know WHY I kept repeatedly dying in the same place because I kept making the same mistake but in eFootball’s Master League it’s the same blatant CPU cheating”.

It’s really bad coding basically. How do we make the game hard? I know, we’ll ensure that the CPU can make the same driven long pass to the striker and he’ll perfectly finish the move every single time.

I played against Juventus in the CL with Spurs last night and that happened to me. And it happened twice, the carbon copy goal. Driven long ball to Ronaldo who just smashed it past my keeper. My defences turned into statues I literally couldn’t control them or so anything.

And the amount of times the CPU is sliding through my players, assaulting them and nothing is given by the ref is bordering farcical now.

Like someone mentioned above, it’s why so many people are trying to avoid updating the game and debating which version to stick with - because we’re forcing ourselves to like it. We know there’s a good game behind all of the weird BS, somewhere. But finding it is another matter entirely.

Oh and some Serie A kits are still wrong. In their ‘fully licensed league’. And by licensed I mean a transition between cut scenes with SERIE A TIM flashing across the screen. And some advertising boards. And that’s it. It’s all so amateur hour yet again from Crazy ol Konami.

But at least they gave us some new faces, eh?

Unsighted or not, PES 2020 in Master League on Superstar is bordering on unplayable at times.

@Emroth summed it up perfectly with his post. There are moments of brilliance in this game but they are buried under so much scripting and ugliness.

I’m finding so many matches to be turgid affairs where I’m fighting against the script, against my controller. I saw someone on Reddit compare PES 2020 to Dark Souls and went on to say “at least in Dark Souls, I know WHY I kept repeatedly dying in the same place because I kept making the same mistake but in eFootball’s Master League it’s the same blatant CPU cheating”.

It’s really bad coding basically. How do we make the game hard? I know, we’ll ensure that the CPU can make the same driven long pass to the striker and he’ll perfectly finish the move every single time.

I played against Juventus in the CL with Spurs last night and that happened to me. And it happened twice, the carbon copy goal. Driven long ball to Ronaldo who just smashed it past my keeper. My defences turned into statues I literally couldn’t control them or so anything.

And the amount of times the CPU is sliding through my players, assaulting them and nothing is given by the ref is bordering farcical now.

Like someone mentioned above, it’s why so many people are trying to avoid updating the game and debating which version to stick with - because we’re forcing ourselves to like it. We know there’s a good game behind all of the weird BS, somewhere. But finding it is another matter entirely.

Oh and some Serie A kits are still wrong. In their ‘fully licensed league’. And by licensed I mean a transition between cut scenes with SERIE A TIM flashing across the screen. And some advertising boards. And that’s it. It’s all so amateur hour yet again from Crazy ol Konami.

Tbh, I think the problem is your play style.

I think your way of playing is insufficiently scripted. Anything above top player, I ensure I've fully scripted everything I'm going to do in advance. I havent lost a game since pes 2010.

This is all in the konami manual by the way. I'm not sure what else they can be expected to do.

Tbh, I think the problem is your play style.

I think your way of playing is insufficiently scripted. Anything above top player, I ensure I've fully scripted everything I'm going to do in advance. I havent lost a game since pes 2010.

This is all in the konami manual by the way. I'm not sure what else they can be expected to do.
The scripting is my fault?

My signature couldn’t be more apt.

I jest, of course ;)

My dream would be to have it like it's on 2k (myleague)
Every difficulty has a vanilla setting with their sliders.
So the easiest difficulty is very Human friendly,then it's a scale all the way up to the toughest difficulty.

Which means you can fix every aspect of the gameplay ,even down to how the CPU players play (tendencies) and how they play as a team.

What's great with this is that you fix a strong CPU (scripting)
Or if the difficulty you play against has a great defence but shitty offense (or vice versa) easy to fine tune the balance.
Yes I know FIFA has sliders,but this is really something else,you'll be able to fine tune without dumbing down something,or making the game sluggish.
It's a utopia,never going to happen,but still,that's how I'd like it to be setup!
I've also understood why I don't enjoy any football games atm,simply described above!

Funny how AI goalkeeper is never that "realistic". Only user ones.

Nail on the head. I could accept these moments if it happened for both teams but I've got supposedly the best keeper in the league yet in just a couple of games I've had the keeper run into his own net to allow the AI to score, a keeper struck down with paralysis because he may have been slightly unsighted for a second and another long range daisy cutter that should have been a very easy save that went in because the keeper decided to delay his dive until after it had already gone by him. On the flipside you've got the AI who's keeper doesn't even clear 70 rating who's like Gordon Banks in his prime flying across the goal to tip over unstoppable top corner rockets.

In all honesty it's probably been like this all along, it's just been more obvious and annoyed me more as I've had so many examples of dodgy goalkeeping in quick succession.

I moved up in my AC MIlan ML season 2 to Top Player. It seems a good idea and i wa having good time with tough sensible matches but using tactics to get good wins and once i've started to build momentum the AI cheating starts.

This is not simple scripting, its cheating. Under no pressure, my best passers make a simple 5 yard pass to the left but the ball goes zipps fast to the complete opposite direction. It regularly takes 3 or more players to tackle skillless players in small teams. I take a shot with my best finishers under little or no pressure and they keep missing. I cant even think about how pissed off it makes me but i've angrly decided, when i play games that are scripted against me by freezing my players and jinxing my controller, i'll just switch to AMatue and beat the FUCK out of the AI. 10 nil, 20 nil, i wont care.

I didn't spend my money to buy frustration.

I don't want to win easy, i don't need to win every single game. I want a challenge but I'll NEVER allow the AI to cheat me.

Pisses me off.

Make the AI harder, make them play smarter but stop freezing my controls, stop pre-determining the outcome.

i cant find an y free option files this year :-( any suggestions?
REALLY??? BEcause i am searching a work around to import already an other OF in my second PS profile. :BLINK:
Where do you search and you cannot find free?? :SHOCK: pesfutebol, pesgaming, 'Emerson Pereira' on Youtube, PESWORLD, the topic on evoweb @PRO_TOO posted.
There are already dozens for free OFs.

OFFTOPIC: IMHO only FREE option files do exist. The paid ones i pretend do not exist, i ignore them as much sa i can.

Started new season and had some very enjoyable matches again last night. I take them as they go, dont replay any (and never did). Thats the only way to stay sane in ML. Just hit Next and carry on - whatever happens.

Interesting bit - I was winning 3:0 against Luton (last place) early on. For the first time since last year I changed to PA1 out of curiosity. Just to see how accurate it is. I played Pes20 on PA1 online this year, but never against AI.
Apart from the fact that it was way too accurate for me (coming from playing manual for so long it felt like PA3) there was another, unexpected weirdness.

Instantly - I noticed that Luton started to ping pong the ball around, like Barcelona. Thought I was going mad, so I switched it back to PA0 (match was 20mins so I had time to play around). Back to normal. Played a while and switched to PA1. Ping pong. It was so evident! (And thats on Professional)
Could be pure coincidence, but it really looked like AI was playing very differently depending on my settings.
@PRO_TOO - can you test it? Not that it makes any difference for me, but it was obvious to a point where it felt weird..

The problem is not what the user can do, its how the AI is and how that effect the user. Pes passing is great, you can score some great goals like in his videos, but its really limited most of the time because we all know, the AI is a little one dimensional in places and how Konami programme a challenge is not through AI ingenuity, its through scripting.

If you could get the AI to mimic human/user input, even at about 50% Pes would immediately be one of the best footy games ever.

It's funny you say that whilst saying you find fifa more unpredictable. The ai is fifa this year is about as scripted and robotic as anything I've seen.

Started new season and had some very enjoyable matches again last night. I take them as they go, dont replay any (and never did). Thats the only way to stay sane in ML. Just hit Next and carry on - whatever happens.

Interesting bit - I was winning 3:0 against Luton (last place) early on. For the first time since last year I changed to PA1 out of curiosity. Just to see how accurate it is. I played Pes20 on PA1 online this year, but never against AI.
Apart from the fact that it was way too accurate for me (coming from playing manual for so long it felt like PA3) there was another, unexpected weirdness.

Instantly - I noticed that Luton started to ping pong the ball around, like Barcelona. Thought I was going mad, so I switched it back to PA0 (match was 20mins so I had time to play around). Back to normal. Played a while and switched to PA1. Ping pong. It was so evident! (And thats on Professional)
Could be pure coincidence, but it really looked like AI was playing very differently depending on my settings.
@PRO_TOO - can you test it? Not that it makes any difference for me, but it was obvious to a point where it felt weird..
It is your fault mate! You are playing it wrong!!! :D :P :D :P :) (just kidding :D )

On other news i got a trophy yesterday for saving a penalty. It is called "GOALMOUTH GUARDIAN". The weird part is, i did not remember that i had not saved any penalty since the beginning!! The fun part is that , i did not had control neither of the defender? that made the foul resulting to penalty, nor the goalkeeper as that time i thought i push PAUSE and was fixing something on my laptop close to me, i was listening some radio on my PC, so i had let my controller down. Next moment i turn my head, ready to press start again to un-pause, i see my defender with the ball auto-shielding and the trophy notification up at screen. It needed to press the PS button and go to the outer menu to read what's this trophy about!!!! :)

Last edited:
You are playing it wrong!!!
:LOL:
I was just thinking that I should have tagged @Chris Davies in the previous post. He used to love when I was saying AI plays differently when you are on manual.. :LOL:
But it was really fecking weird.. could not be more obvious..

Lately Im getting quite a few fouls I have to say. My matches are more physical.
But I also have to say - even tho the whole ball awareness improved with last patch - its not really fixed. Im still getting a lot of moments where my players are very... shall we say - undecided.

It would be perfectly fine if AI was also undecided at times. Especially in the defense, when you do some tricks. A bit of hesitation every now and again would make the gameplay much closer to real thing.

Also - recently im using super cancel most of the time, in both defense and offense. Im winning the ball much more often this way. All the pre-determined paths are most of the time working against us. Im able to beat defenders, have better first touches, more 1-1's, taking the ball off AI attackers just before they shoot. But its all super cancel.. without it my players are all sleeping beauties.
Ps. Thats where my physicality and fouls might be coming from. Coz im unpredictable with Super Cancel

:LOL:
I was just thinking that I should have tagged @Chris Davies in the previous post. He used to love when I was saying AI plays differently when you are on manual.. :LOL:
But it was really fecking weird.. could not be more obvious..

Lately Im getting quite a few fouls I have to say. My matches are more physical.
But I also have to say - even tho the whole ball awareness improved with last patch - its not really fixed. Im still getting a lot of moments where my players are very... shall we say - undecided.

It would be perfectly fine if AI was also undecided at times. Especially in the defense, when you do some tricks. A bit of hesitation every now and again would make the gameplay much closer to real thing.

Also - recently im using super cancel most of the time, in both defense and offense. Im winning the ball much more often this way. All the pre-determined paths are most of the time working against us. Im able to beat defenders, have better first touches, more 1-1's, taking the ball off AI attackers just before they shoot. But its all super cancel.. without it my players are all sleeping beauties.
Ps. Thats where my physicality and fouls might be coming from. Coz im unpredictable with Super Cancel
To be honest, the latest patch had some effects, but not even close to be a "monster-patch" or a "hotfix". Every problem in the notes is just a little bit tweaked.
Also still searching for the gap between MIDFIELD and DEFENSE, that would become much smaller and the two lines would be tighter. I play with defence conservative on centre and with the most tight possible option, from map and instructions, BUT my midfield in front of my defence line is still always as empty , as a dessert on planet Mars.

COM kicks off, pass around and then sends this 100mph GROUND pass that goes from their half to my penalty area, their CF takes the ball... 2-2.

This happened to me the other day against Villa. Glad it's happened to someone else as I could scarcely believe my eyes.

For many years though the AI is most potent and lethal when kicking off after a goal. Cartoonish and archaic

This happened to me the other day against Villa. Glad it's happened to someone else as I could scarcely believe my eyes.

For many years though the AI is most potent and lethal when kicking off after a goal. Cartoonish and archaic
See I wouldnt mind as much, if it "just" happened, as a quick counter, on same settings (when I still had a very attack-orientated team)
But I fucking knew they will go all "scripty" on me, so straight after the goal I went and changed everything to defensive. Also dropped bar to the very bottom to park the bus. All my players were around my penalty box and then this ground pass comes in and manages to go by every single one of them, through my whole half.. with such precision - this bloke should be a surgeon, not a footballer. :LOL:
Anyway, bygones be bygones. Whatevs. New season now. ;)

Also still searching for the gap between MIDFIELD and DEFENSE, that would become much smaller and the two lines would be tighter. I play with defence conservative on centre and with the most tight possible option, from map and instructions, BUT my midfield in front of my defence line is still always as empty , as a dessert on planet Mars.

It's funny you should say that 'cause I was just about to write the opposite. I'm getting much more midfield battles than before. I feel like my DMFs and CMFs are suddenly a much more integral part of the game.

I'am slowly getting used to the adv through ball- system (you know with that new animationen where the player takes forever to pass the ball).

I have found I can do some fantastic through balls (both high and low) when I use it as a direct pass. For example; say that you have Papu Gomez (I love Papu btw) with some space on the wing and before he receives the pass you start to power up :triangle: and then aim where you want it when the ball comes to his feet. You can really open up great spaces by doing that, especially with the high ones in to the spacve between the keeper and the defensive line.

But I fucking knew they will go all "scripty" on me, so straight after the goal I went and changed everything to defensive. Also dropped bar to the very bottom to park the bus. All my players were around my penalty box and then this ground pass comes in and manages to go by every single one of them, through my whole half.. with such precision - this bloke should be a surgeon, not a footballer. :LOL:
Anyway, bygones be bygones. Whatevs. New season now. ;)
How you can carry on at that point I don't know. How anyone can shrug and go "it's just a game" I don't know (because there are other games to play, that don't take your input and make it worthless - if you're playing a game, surely that's the point of it).

When it's that stacked against you - and I've seen it too, you know if you're winning when you're not supposed to be then an insta-goal is coming and you are powerless to stop it (and I don't care what anyone says, you are) - what's the point. Save me some time and simulate that match for me, and let me play one I might win.

How you can carry on at that point I don't know. How anyone can shrug and go "it's just a game" I don't know (because there are other games to play, that don't take your input and make it worthless - if you're playing a game, surely that's the point of it).

When it's that stacked against you - and I've seen it too, you know if you're winning when you're not supposed to be then an insta-goal is coming and you are powerless to stop it (and I don't care what anyone says, you are) - what's the point. Save me some time and simulate that match for me, and let me play one I might win.
I dont know Chris.. i suppose im just trying to focus on the beautiful moments that are there (and we cant deny that there are).
Takes a lot of patience at times.. when they scored that goal I just paused the game and was staring at the telly for ages. Couldnt even scream coz wife was sleeping beside me.. :LOL:
Thank fuck we grew up on the old games, where you had to jump from one mushroom to another and had literally a millimetre to hold on to, or you fell off the cliff. Those games crafted some tough skin on us, haha!

But thats exactly the reason I never repeat any matches, or watch any replays from AI. This would just annoy me more.

Pause the game, count to 10, sip of whisky and off we go again.. :LOL:

I accept the crap that the game gives you because the good things are great and ultimately as the other game does absolutely nothing for me, it's either play PES with its faults or don't play a football game. Faced with that situation I'll choose PES every time.

It is such an erratic game though, especially in Master League. One session you feel like you're running through treacle and everything is against you then you go back to it hours later and you're smashing teams 3-0, 4-0 with the same settings. I've honestly never known a game like it for it feeling different session by session.

I accept the crap that the game gives you because the good things are great and ultimately as the other game does absolutely nothing for me, it's either play PES with its faults or don't play a football game. Faced with that situation I'll choose PES every time.

It is such an erratic game though, especially in Master League. One session you feel like you're running through treacle and everything is against you then you go back to it hours later and you're smashing teams 3-0, 4-0 with the same settings. I've honestly never known a game like it for it feeling different session by session.

I never remember scripting in the golden generation PES's (5/6) being as bad as this

Back
Top Bottom