eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

It was game over :(

I think it would exist. My reasoning is otherwise things would be unbalanced, because there is PLA and PAS leagues... plus PEU I guess is most commonly used for Bundesliga, but it's meant for any league (like Greece). Speaking of which, is there a good patch for it? PEU is the one league I don't know what to do with since I can't find any good OF other than German league... right now I still have mostly fake teams.
If you mean Greek patch :P :P :P :D , two greek patches were out this month! :D If you mean a good OF for PEU, i have not spotted anything and i think this year, since the option to choose where to apply your OF data is removed, we will not see many mix-and-match OFs. The solution i did is, import 8~10 teams of Bundesliga and create the rest by myself, thanx to KONAMI. Can't even import a single team's kits and logo without roster. :(
In PAS for example i am editing all 20 clubs manually, as i want a mix and match of Fantasy, Asian and African clubs! By the time 2021 is released i may have completed it!! :D

If you mean Greek patch :P :P :P :D , two greek patches were out this month! :D If you mean a good OF for PEU, i have not spotted anything and i think this year, since the option to choose where to apply your OF data is removed, we will not see many mix-and-match OFs. The solution i did is, import 8~10 teams of Bundesliga and create the rest by myself, thanx to KONAMI. Can't even import a single team's kits and logo without roster. :(
In PAS for example i am editing all 20 clubs manually, as i want a mix and match of Fantasy, Asian and African clubs! By the time 2021 is released i may have completed it!! :D
Yes, I meant a Greek Superleague, could you tell me where they can be found, please? It is totally annoying that the option to choose import is gone, but on the other hand it saved me time. Before i was too focused on finding the right mix of teams, base copying, etc... now I just said fuck it! I will leave it blank until I find a good patch I can just install. And if I don't, I don't no big deal :COOL:

I just wish that fake leagues could be turned off in Master League!

Yes, I meant a Greek Superleague, could you tell me where they can be found, please? It is totally annoying that the option to choose import is gone, but on the other hand it saved me time. Before i was too focused on finding the right mix of teams, base copying, etc... now I just said fuck it! I will leave it blank until I find a good patch I can just install. And if I don't, I don't no big deal :COOL:

I just wish that fake leagues could be turned off in Master League!
I'll PM you, the links.

A few new kits added to my site, all free to download.

CVi3Q6k.png

These are awesome, great work! Think I'll have to add the Marvel kit as a 4th kit to my ML fantasy team. It really doesn't go well with the rock'n'roll theme I have going for my own kits, but I'm such a big marvel fan that I don't give a ****.

Also checked out some of the other kits on your site, they really are amazing.

Perfect review.. while watching it i sometimes thought it is real football not a game.. potential of pes 2020 is limitless.. must watch take your time and watch it

Agreed, great video.

This morning I also stumbled upon this video, very cool compilation of both user and AI plays.

Perfect review.. while watching it i sometimes thought it is real football not a game.. potential of pes 2020 is limitless.. must watch take your time and watch it

BTW: Watching videos like this and the ones from @SpoonyPizzas reminds how much I still have to learn in PES, especially when it comes to dribbling and switching directions, even though I've played PES since the ISS days on PS1. I keep trying to fool defenders by changing directions while holding R2 - and it NEVER works. And this almost ALWAYS worked in the old days. And I just don't know how to do it in this new generation of PES. And I can see it beeing done all the time in these YT videos, so there IS a way. I just haven't found it yet.

This is basically the only thing preventing me from advancing from Professional - which is too easy for me - and Top Player - which is too hard, since the CPU presses so much and I have basically no weapons to defeat them with... I'm desperately waiting for it to somehow 'click' but it's not really happening.

At least I'm having tons of fun while 'waiting' :D

First season finished. 17th at the end.
This game has some really beautiful moments, but its so damn frustrating at times.. takes a lot of effort and patience to focus on the good things and be able to look pass frustration..

Out of curiosity - question for people playing ML - were you able to reach top spots in your first season? Not talking about winning the league. But were you able to get promoted in season 1 if you started in D2 for example?
Is there anyone, who can say with clear conscience that season 1 was fair?

I dont know - maybe im just shit..
But to me it felt like I had very little to say about the outcome at times. Sure, I could probably be 5 places higher if I didnt make all the mistakes, but in general, most of the times, matches just felt like I was doomed from the get go.
I never had this feeling on Pes17, which I was still playing in July..
Even last night, one of the last matches of the season, against Leeds (2nd place).
First 10mins it was 1-1. Then it was just grind for the rest of the match. I had plenty of opportunities but could not score. I was slowly but surely applying more pressure over time. Changed my attacking mentality, changed to frontline pressure, moved defensive line a bit.
Eventually, 89th min I scored! It was such well deserved, crafted with sweat and blood, lovely goal..
Instantly - I changed all tactics to park the bus.
COM kicks off, pass around and then sends this 100mph GROUND pass that goes from their half to my penalty area, their CF takes the ball... 2-2.

I mean... whats the point..? Thats the feeling Im getting quite often during my first season... "whats the point?"

Last edited:
BTW: Watching videos like this and the ones from @SpoonyPizzas reminds how much I still have to learn in PES, especially when it comes to dribbling and switching directions, even though I've played PES since the ISS days on PS1. I keep trying to fool defenders by changing directions while holding R2 - and it NEVER works. And this almost ALWAYS worked in the old days. And I just don't know how to do it in this new generation of PES. And I can see it beeing done all the time in these YT videos, so there IS a way. I just haven't found it yet.

This is basically the only thing preventing me from advancing from Professional - which is too easy for me - and Top Player - which is too hard, since the CPU presses so much and I have basically no weapons to defeat them with... I'm desperately waiting for it to somehow 'click' but it's not really happening.

At least I'm having tons of fun while 'waiting' :D

Emphasis mine.
I find this a double edged sword. On the one hand when I'm happy with part of the game, I don't really want it to change, I would rather it was fixed/improved in other areas. One the other hand, I nearly always enjoy learning the subtleties of news systems. Especially in football games.

I haven't bothered with Fifa for a few years (for more than a few matches) as not enough has changed for me. But I always track the discussions each year as if something truly interesting has changed I will try it and decide to learn (if not really master) that new thing for the challenge itself.

It's why I have played things like This is Football (with that ridiculous handball system and weird gliding, but different dribbling). Or the Michael Owen game, or even New Star Soccer. Along with some absolutely dire football MMOs.

I'm glad you're having fun 'waiting'. That is what's most fun about these games for me :)

This game really has some really beautiful moments, but its so damn frustrating at times.. takes a lot of effort and patience to focus on the good things and be able to look pass frustration..

Out of curiosity - question for people playing ML - were you able to reach top spots in your first season? Not talking about winning the league. But were you able to get promoted in season 1 if you started in D2 for example?

But to me it felt like I had very little to say about the outcome at times. Sure, I could probably be 5 places higher if I didnt make all the mistakes, but in general, most of the times, matches just felt like I was doomed from the get go.
Even last night, one of the last matches of the season, against Leeds (2nd place).
First 10mins it was 1-1. Then it was just grind for the rest of the match. I had plenty of opportunities but could not score. I was slowly but surely applying more pressure over time. Changed my attacking mentality, changed to frontline pressure, moved defensive line a bit.
Eventually, 89th min I scored! It was such well deserved, crafted with sweat and blood, lovely goal..
COM kicks off, pass around and then sends this 100mph GROUND pass that goes from their half to my penalty area, their CF takes the ball... 2-2.

I mean... whats the point..? Thats the feeling Im getting quite often during my first season... "whats the point?"

It took me 2 seasons to get promoted on my first Championship ML (with ML default players). Finished around 16th in the first and in the play-offs (5th maybe) in the second.

In my restart ML I picked the worst championship team, I scraped into the play-offs and dug out a result in the final to get promoted in the first season. However, there's a few caveats to that game.

1. It's my random DB. So the teams are of course quite different.
  2. I'd at this point played 5 seasons of a ML and so had got a lot of practice in, but my first MLI was very green. Although this time I'm playing with the lowest budget and highest transfer difficulty.
  3. I have quite strict transfer policies I impose on myself and so I can't just loan mega stars and hoover up every decent free player in order to guarantee success.
  4. Apart from 2 seasons on TP in my first ML, I'm playing on Pro. As it has the best balance between difficulty and 'slog'. In the fourth season of my first ML handicapping went into overdrive (as I was overperforming in the PL). You could still win and have great success, but it was less fun than the lower challenge of Pro, but with more varied play. I'm hoping that once the gameplay editing people on PC settle to something I like the sound of, I can go back to TP or even SS. But I don't see those levels being 'fun' for me anytime soon.
I enjoy most of all playing with crappy teams and improving them, so I don't mind at all if I exist in mid-table obscurity for a bit. However, I see far more excitement in trying to battle to avoid relegation against far better teams than I do in going for the title against similar strength teams :)

What are the transfer budgets like in the 2nd, 3rd seasons etc ? for example if you start with say Man Utd and normal you have something like 116m. What happens 2nd, 3rd season etc ?
Is it worth starting on something other than normal budget ?

This game has some really beautiful moments, but its so damn frustrating at times.. takes a lot of effort and patience to focus on the good things and be able to look pass frustration..

Yes. But I was only playing on Professional - PES United default players (pretty much the same level as the regular ML defaults, if not slightly worse) - PA1 and Basic Shooting and TB.

I didn't feel cheated at any point. And I didn't reload saves. Ok, once! But that was after I increased the level to Top Player for 3-4 games and realized I just wasn't ready for it... :BLUSH:

Not at once during my playtime on Professional have I felt that I didn't have any say in the matter.

What are the transfer budgets like in the 2nd, 3rd seasons etc ? for example if you start with say Man Utd and normal you have something like 116m. What happens 2nd, 3rd season etc ?
Is it worth starting on something other than normal budget ?

I never start with a big club, so I'm of limited help here. But depending on how you build your team, after a few seasons on normal transfer difficulty and budget, you'll be swimming in more money than you'd ever need, but likely struggling on wages for a few more seasons.

The budgets are partly affected by your performance compared to your season objective.

As I enjoy the challenge of team building so much, I go with the lowest budget and hardest transfer difficulty.

I never start with a big club, so I'm of limited help here. But depending on how you build your team, after a few seasons on normal transfer difficulty and budget, you'll be swimming in more money than you'd ever need, but likely struggling on wages for a few more seasons.

The budgets are partly affected by your performance compared to your season objective.

As I enjoy the challenge of team building so much, I go with the lowest budget and hardest transfer difficulty.

Yeah I'm new over from FIFA where I usually do one as a big side like manchester united and one as a smaller side, probably norwich or sheff utd this year.
i like it to be realistic.
Any idea what that would be ?
Just leave it at normal budget, normal transfer difficulty ?

In my 3rd ML save, i started with PARIS FC in Ligue 2, 10min, TopPlayer but PA1. I finished first, i was -8 from the first at one point in the middle of the season, after January i had a good steak and i passed 1st, went until +5.

What i saw common in all my ML saves, the beginning of the season , no matter the TS, is really painful, an uphill climb. To give you a picture around November i was 2W-6D-2L, far in the bottom of the table. I finished season with 4L. As much defeats i conceded in the first month, the same i conceded in the rest of the season!

Believing in script/handicap or not, there are matches the the CPU wont allow you to win, your players will run into mud, the controls will be 2-meter heavy touches, etc, etc... The most obvious is when you are on 4 consecutive wins and you go for the 5th. These games are the worst usually.

Now i am 3rd on Ligue 1 on December of 2020. I got destroyed by PSG and LYON in the current matches.

Yeah I'm new over from FIFA where I usually do one as a big side like manchester united and one as a smaller side, probably norwich or sheff utd this year.
i like it to be realistic.
Any idea what that would be ?
Just leave it at normal budget, normal transfer difficulty ?

I've not got enough data to know where the best level for you would be. I've only done normal/normal and small/hard. With a new game of any type I usually choose the middle difficulty for a first try and if it's far too easy abandon it later and restart higher. Having the transfer difficulty too high might mean realistic players refuse to join you, but if you start a couple of MLs as a test, with each difficult and leave the first transfer window on, you could easily experiment a little quite quickly until you discover a level you're happy with. It won't let you know how players deal with longer term contract renewals, but it's a good basis to work from.

Budget is a little harder as you won't really get an idea until you hit the next transfer window, or even end of season.

This!! So this!!
I’m not 100% with him on the free kicks and keepers though.

But the other stuff he said could also work well as a tutorial!!
And as i always said: take your time. Think football. Play football!!
And i bet: still a lot of users aren’t using the whole toolbox and/or use football-ish behavior on the pitch.
If you play it robotic it will be robotic. If you play football it will be football.

Not without flaws but so damn good!! :D

Vanilla 1.0 was the best but I've left pes behind now. Fifa it is this year. Plays really well with slider edits, the randomness is on another planet. Premiership games feel wonderful. Just playing classic matches is enough for me.

I think the fact that everyone in here is constantly questioning the gameplay, whether it's placebo, master league, my club, patches, skill levels, controls - no one is ever settled or satisfied for long. That to me suggests the game is poorly designed and tested which is a real shame.

I can no longer bring myself to engage in a game that's ultimate souless. Fifa has issues but what it doesn't lack is wow moments, that feeling of unpredictability and the unique situations created that allow for some wonderful goals, scrappy goals, own goals, mistakes and tap ins.

It was a good effort this year and I may pick it up in a few months when it's patched more but I think the beast that was once Pes needs putting out of its misery, put on paid mobile as my club and given to the coin generation.

I figured just as much is happening in the other forum.

Each to their own
Yes. But I was only playing on Professional - PES United default players (pretty much the same level as the regular ML defaults, if not slightly worse) - PA1 and Basic Shooting and TB.

I didn't feel cheated at any point. And I didn't reload saves. Ok, once! But that was after I increased the level to Top Player for 3-4 games and realized I just wasn't ready for it... :BLUSH:

Not at once during my playtime on Professional have I felt that I didn't have any say in the matter.

Is professional challenging enough when the AI attacks?

Is professional challenging enough when the AI attacks?

Yes. They just don't get enough attacks because I'm able to hold on to the ball too long. But I still lose or draw the occasional game, just because they are quite deadly when they get the chance.

But most games I'll have 2-3 times as many chances as the CPU with same or slightly better teams. That's why it's definitely too easy right now. My only problem is that I don't really find Top Player enjoyable (yet) because the CPU presses so hard and as I stated I'm not really good enough at the dribbling part of the game to actually counter act their pressing. Which just makes it all a little to frantic for me at the moment.

That being said, I actually haven't tried Top Player after the 2.0 update. Might have to give it a try.

Hmmm Knight MD. Who last year said it was the most realistic football game ever. And the year before. And the year before that.

Its all in the editing.

He's obviously a PES fan. Nothing wrong with that. But yeah, it's not an unbiased video game review from a video game journalist.

Although he did point out a lot of the same issues that have been beaten to death in this thread as well as giving clear video examples of those issues.

I enjoy most of all playing with crappy teams and improving them, so I don't mind at all if I exist in mid-table obscurity for a bit
Im the same. I still enjoyed this season. There are some proper breathtaking moments there. But things like the the match I described against Leeds are just... deflating. And really not necessary.
ML would be much more enjoyable without them. Its funny, coz if you play Pes a lot, those moments when script/boost/whatever-we-call-it kicks in - are so obvious!
I had some AI screamers from outside the box, or some really well crafted goals, where I literally clapped. And then there are those where Im just shaking my head thinking "what a bunch of cheating cocks..." :LOL:

He's obviously a PES fan. Nothing wrong with that. But yeah, it's not an unbiased video game review from a video game journalist.

Although he did point out a lot of the same issues that have been beaten to death in this thread as well as giving clear video examples of those issues.

The problem is not what the user can do, its how the AI is and how that effect the user. Pes passing is great, you can score some great goals like in his videos, but its really limited most of the time because we all know, the AI is a little one dimensional in places and how Konami programme a challenge is not through AI ingenuity, its through scripting.

If you could get the AI to mimic human/user input, even at about 50% Pes would immediately be one of the best footy games ever.

I find that every time you receive the ball with a new player, reset your mind and wait...a second or two and play that particular moment. You suddenly see all these incredibly complex teammate AI patterns unfolding and when you exploit them, it looks a lot like real football.

The problem is that instinct to chain or string moves together, or force on the game the move I already had in my mind.

I've noticed when dribbling with messi, by constantly reassessing the moment between touches, I end up reacting to defenders and momentum just like you would when dribbling in real life and you end up in the middle of these incredible seat-of-your pants dribbles and interplays with him where you have no idea what's coming next but the game seems to accelerate to this incredible intensity...like you've unlocked some kind of hidden zone within the gameplay.

If u love real football and love to think about football, being a pesfan is unescapable reality ... the other game is an arcade game imo not a simulation

If you could get the AI to mimic human/user input, even at about 50% Pes would immediately be one of the best footy games ever.
I wouldn't want that at all. I don't want the AI limited to the same controls I am. I want to play against 11 intelligent AI (well 12 including the manager) and have 9/10 AI take up the slack when I'm not in direct control of a player. Now improving all those AI, yes, I'd love that.

If u love real football and love to think about football, being a pesfan is unescapable reality ... the other game is an arcade game imo not a simulation

Sorry but thats balls. Been playing footy games since the arcades in the late 80s. Theres stuff wrong with Fifa, but its not arcade. try learning to play it without assists for example. its such a lazy, lazy argument.

I wouldn't want that at all. I don't want the AI limited to the same controls I am. I want to play against 11 intelligent AI (well 12 including the manager) and have 9/10 AI take up the slack when I'm not in direct control of a player. Now improving all those AI, yes, I'd love that.
im talking about the opposition.

I give up with the Superstar AI, I want to play against a challenging AI but I'm sick of it making itself challenging by cheating. Clearly Konami aren't capable of making a challenging enough AI experience so they let it cheat to get goals.

I already posted yesterday where my keeper inexplicably ran into the net to gift the opposition a goal and now there's this great bit of goalkeeping where the keeper just stands there and watches as it goes in with zero attempt to save it. I'm not saying it should definitely be saved but some sort of attempt would be nice! Don't know why I waste my time.

Back
Top Bottom