eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

I moved away from my ML save for now and started both a European competition with Iceland and a league with Liverpool. Iceland on Pro difficulty felt easy but Í still lost my first match 2-0. Then Liverpool on top player, started with the Super Cup or whatever it's called, against Chelsea and there I really felt differences from pre patch. Kind of felt like anything could happen.

What is a judder setting?

In the motion settings on a samsung tv, normally within the game mode.

I've just upgraded to a ps4 pro which has got rid of the stutter I was having (crazy that a base ps4 couldn't tolerate in game editing via a 4k tv) and I was getting these weird moments of delayed controlled or frame rate disruptions and made the game feel like it was moving through treacle and the ball subject to too much gravity.

Normally, using judder or anti-blur causes more problems with games and especially pes. For instance on my base ps4, I got loads of stuttering and frame rate drops if I turned motion blur or judder on. But on ps4 pro, I need judder turned up to max ie 10 to get a smooth experience.

Why cant we just plug in the damn thing and play like in the old days...?

So I've patched it. It's a definite improvement over the last patch but... Sigh I just don't know I don't get any satisfaction out of scoring.

There's something still not right. There's still a rigidness that wasn't there in vanilla, there's still a lack of random situations.

With fifa it has problems but one thing it doesn't have problems with is that feeling of randomness that's key to real life footy. You hardly see the same goal twice or animation for that matter (its beautifully programmed in such a way)

The other thing I've noticed is the keepers saves on the patch, almost unbeatable from range in most circumstances and they don't tend to fumble it, it's all hard palms away, pushing it about 20 yards away from goal. Fifa keepers were doing that in 1993! I haven't seen a keeper tip it over yet, in vanilla they do it when it's right. Patched they don't.

I dunno they need to rip this fox engine up it just lacks something...

I moved away from my ML save for now and started both a European competition with Iceland and a league with Liverpool. Iceland on Pro difficulty felt easy but Í still lost my first match 2-0. Then Liverpool on top player, started with the Super Cup or whatever it's called, against Chelsea and there I really felt differences from pre patch. Kind of felt like anything could happen.

What is a judder setting?
Just tonight, while I was playing my Las Palmas ML, I got unhappy with how one opponent team played. So clean, so hectic, my players somehow sluggish, a lot of stuff in their favor.
I ended that match and recreated it in exhibition mode. Total different story imo.
Got a penalty from a standing tackle in that game, plus more randomness, fouls, better responsiveness and more humanized AI.
Then I created a European Cup and set it all up to have the same team again. Played fine as well.
I will give the whole scenario another try tomorrow. Will start a new ML, so it’s based on the same stats.

TS seems to be a mighty beast. Or something else...

Last edited:
Just the general substitution and awerness from the cpu of the result and whats going on. It still feels very much like a robot.

ps Just booted up the demo after playing the latest patch, everything is much more smoother, organic, life like (fouls, dribbling, passing, ai build up) . Its like now we are playing a beta of some sort. Sad story what happened here.

5 minute matches again?

So I've patched it. It's a definite improvement over the last patch but... Sigh I just don't know I don't get any satisfaction out of scoring.

There's something still not right. There's still a rigidness that wasn't there in vanilla, there's still a lack of random situations.

With fifa it has problems but one thing it doesn't have problems with is that feeling of randomness that's key to real life footy. You hardly see the same goal twice or animation for that matter (its beautifully programmed in such a way)

The other thing I've noticed is the keepers saves on the patch, almost unbeatable from range in most circumstances and they don't tend to fumble it, it's all hard palms away, pushing it about 20 yards away from goal. Fifa keepers were doing that in 1993! I haven't seen a keeper tip it over yet, in vanilla they do it when it's right. Patched they don't.

ill just play 1.0 than lol

Felt the CPU was getting through my midfield way too easily. Very direct. Absorbed 12 shots in quick inside 15 minutes. My defenders were literally running backwards as the ball came to the forward.

So, I used what I learned in PES 15, where I'd set the settings to Offside Trap > Auto.

Instantly, the CPU started playing the ball around much more. They also played passes into space on the ground and not perfect on the head (where it becomes 1v1 contested headers constantly) long balls. My defensive line is staying intact as well, and no longer following attackers deep. So my defensive line height is playing true to value.

Really enjoying it now.
This!
Matt! You're some god damn magician!
Re-posting it in case people missed it.
I didnt even know about this option!
Never changed anything in support menu. But I thought to myself - what the hell! Matt usually knows what he's talking about...
I really really enjoyed last patch - pace, flow, player reactions, more human AI..
But this option is like somebody toned the script down! Played 5 games and im not getting anymore any of those "laser-guided-out-of-nowhere-impossible-to-stop AI through balls. Everything became more fair, more human..
I absolutely love this game right now..
Anyhow, back to it.

Felt the CPU was getting through my midfield way too easily. Very direct. Absorbed 12 shots in quick inside 15 minutes. My defenders were literally running backwards as the ball came to the forward.

So, I used what I learned in PES 15, where I'd set the settings to Offside Trap > Auto.

Instantly, the CPU started playing the ball around much more. They also played passes into space on the ground and not perfect on the head (where it becomes 1v1 contested headers constantly) long balls. My defensive line is staying intact as well, and no longer following attackers deep. So my defensive line height is playing true to value.

Really enjoying it now.
Yo! I'm glad this is working! I literally just sent that to Facebook Konami devs a couple days ago talking about fixing exactly that; the defensive line and defender always running back with an opposition player. Oh man I really hope this really does work and not a fluke! I always use that offside option btw, but it never worked. Will test it :D. Thanks for letting us know.

In the motion settings on a samsung tv, normally within the game mode.

I've just upgraded to a ps4 pro which has got rid of the stutter I was having (crazy that a base ps4 couldn't tolerate in game editing via a 4k tv) and I was getting these weird moments of delayed controlled or frame rate disruptions and made the game feel like it was moving through treacle and the ball subject to too much gravity.

Normally, using judder or anti-blur causes more problems with games and especially pes. For instance on my base ps4, I got loads of stuttering and frame rate drops if I turned motion blur or judder on. But on ps4 pro, I need judder turned up to max ie 10 to get a smooth experience.

Why cant we just plug in the damn thing and play like in the old days...?
I had similar problems when I first got the Pro, I had to set up the hdmi port to properly display the 4k signal.

It’s funny because it’s true!

Haha!! Th

The structure of the game is so so good now and so many things are better than v1.00. But yeah, it somehow feels clamped down in some way, like there are either fewer possibilities or that those possibilities are less likely to unfold in the way they do with v1.00.

This reminds of fifa 09 in some ways. Where real patience and probing was required to experience what was on offer...whereas v1.00 throws it all at you and says here, have the lot, make it all happen, enjoy. And we'll still shut you out now and again.

If the next patch found the balance...wow, especially with Klashman's tactics which I've not implemented on patch yet. They may do the trick for this...

Just tonight, while I was playing my Las Palmas ML, I got unhappy with how one opponent team played. So clean, so hectic, my players somehow sluggish, a lot of stuff in their favor.
I ended that match and recreated it in exhibition mode. Total different story imo.
Got a penalty from a standing tackle in that game, plus more randomness, fouls, better responsiveness and more humanized AI.
Then I created a European Cup and set it all up to have the same team again. Played fine as well.
I will give the whole scenario another try tomorrow. Will start a new ML, so it’s based on the same stats.

TS seems a mighty beast. Or something else...

Yes, mindboggling somehow, how different the same match up plays in ML vs exhibition. Is imo also the reason, why we love the demo so much (no ML or TS in there).

I am not liking it at the moment (in ML on TP). It’s so hectic, you have no space, no options, that invisible wall feeling is back, like a transparent rubber hull around their box. The AI is too clinical again, playing everything at the same exact speed, no variation, no change of pace like in the demo. No randomness anymore.

I especially hate how they have these phases in which they casually pass the ball around in their half, feels like hours until you get the ball back even when you turn on Gegenpress. Let‘s say it‘s probably realistic at full length (though they also tend to do it when they are behind) but if you have to sit through this in a 10 minute encounter and you want to score a second goal it is grinding.

Maybe I am in one of these ‚ML chapters’ @Emroth was talking about earlier, but I fear the love affair (it really was) could be over again.

What did you do specifically if you dont mind me asking?
It has been a while, but my Sony Tv has a setting called external outputs, where I can change the hdmi signal format. It is set to enhance 4k so it is probably that. But it is likely called something diffrent on a Samsung set. Just check your settings and check if you can change anything for hdmi.

Maybe I am in one of these ‚ML chapters’ @Emroth was talking about earlier, but I fear the love affair (it really was) could be over again
If thats the case - I must be in some hot-sweet-chocolate chapter.
My experience is exactly the opposite to your one.. i have randomness, deflection goals, players managing to stay on their feet with the ball after barging through defense (to my surprise), balanced fouls, ok dribbling.. I cant fault this game right now, I honestly cant..
Currently mid table, wining some, losing some. But it feels...fair.
Even AI goals are varied, creative and I dont feel robbed.
If you hit the wall - maybe drop it to professional for a while?
Im on professional. To balance the challenge I switched everything off - power gauge, names, radar (altho not having radar is a bit frustrating when camera doesnt keep up with the game)
And obviously - full manual.
Try it. Not saying try all my settings, but try Professional. That might give you some breathing space and a bit of relief until it gets back on track.

Yes, mindboggling somehow, how different the same match up plays in ML vs exhibition. Is imo also the reason, why we love the demo so much (no ML or TS in there).

I am not liking it at the moment (in ML on TP). It’s so hectic, you have no space, no options, that invisible wall feeling is back, like a transparent rubber hull around their box. The AI is too clinical again, playing everything at the same exact speed, no variation, no change of pace like in the demo. No randomness anymore.

I especially hate how they have these phases in which they casually pass the ball around in their half, feels like hours until you get the ball back even when you turn on Gegenpress. Let‘s say it‘s probably realistic at full length (though they also tend to do it when they are behind) but if you have to sit through this in a 10 minute encounter and you want to score a second goal it is grinding.

Maybe I am in one of these ‚ML chapters’ @Emroth was talking about earlier, but I fear the love affair (it really was) could be over again.
It's sounds counter productive, but if the AI is holding on to the ball too long just messing about at the back, don't press them. Stay back and just Mark a man and close off options, but don't chase the ball. They very quickly start coming up the pitch and taking more chances. Pressing really high up only works well against the AI if your on an attacking mentality or higher. Otherwise they will just keep the ball for long periods. I think there's something slightly off with their urgency in some match situations. But standing off them breaks that nicely.

Agreed Rodders. Feels like it's a game of counter attacks and I have to make the most of it by pinging the ball around at blistering pace or I won't see it again for 10 minutes. Can't dictate the game or vary attack modes at all like I could on previous versions. Hoping I get used to it and something changes but I doubt it because I got the exact same feeling with '19.

Lol, right, it's definitely a bit worthless for offsides sake. I thought it would trigger the animation where the defenders would step forward and raise their hands, but it's not the case. A bit relieved too because what it does is makes the defenders play more Zonal vs Man, especially the outside backs. Quite happy with that subtle change.

Just to be sure, in the game plan , turn auto offside trap ON, correct? And make sure the deep defensive line is off as well?

Also, Im finding the game a bit too hectic and fast... Maybe its because its ML Top Player. The AI is all over the place.

Is anyone else hitting the goal posts way too much?

So, is it possible to score long rangers...? I haven't seen a single one online yet. And if it is, on manual, basic or advanced?

There is player rating update, I saw it on few players.. Sensi was 77 and now 79(on pesmaster is 83 dunno how), Ansu Fati's rating is updated also.

Just to be sure, in the game plan , turn auto offside trap ON, correct? And make sure the deep defensive line is off as well?

Also, Im finding the game a bit too hectic and fast... Maybe its because its ML Top Player. The AI is all over the place.

Is anyone else hitting the goal posts way too much?

Yes, that's correct.

Also, I've just posted the video explanation here:

Got my first penalty with latest patch. Quick left right on finesse dribble between 2 defenders and they took me out, mane sticks it in top corner for the hattrick

Agreed Rodders. Feels like it's a game of counter attacks and I have to make the most of it by pinging the ball around at blistering pace or I won't see it again for 10 minutes. Can't dictate the game or vary attack modes at all like I could on previous versions. Hoping I get used to it and something changes but I doubt it because I got the exact same feeling with '19.

Exactly how I've been feeling after the latest patch. Yes, they've tighted up the players ignoring loose balls but:
  • the randomness is pretty much gone
  • every match starting to feel very similar
  • AI monotony
  • on-rails gameplay
  • variety and realism pretty much gone
  • scoring the same goals over and over because too many things around the box just aren't worth trying any more as they don't work
  • CPU players play way beyond what their stats say they should, ping-pong pixel-perfect boredom
  • every CPU direct free-kick is a perfect shot into the top corner, no matter what their stats are (yes, the wall can block them sometimes but that is not the point - no variety, no imperfection, boring, repetitive, scripted)
,.....increasingly feels like they're turning it back into PES19.

At least I've got the option to go back to 1.0.

I think there's something slightly off with their urgency in some match situations
I've seen few comments like this and it worries me a bit. It reminds me the foul situation from the demo.
Altho I agreed that some moments were slightly off - I didnt want them to change anything. Coz I had a feeling from the get go - their 'fix' will break it.
Same here. Im worried that if they see people complaining about AI playing the ball around - next patch will just make them crazy direct and there wont be any build up from AI.
Careful what you wish for, lads..

Exactly how I've been feeling after the latest patch. Yes, they've tighted up the players ignoring loose balls but:
  • the randomness is pretty much gone
  • every match starting to feel very similar
  • AI monotony
  • on-rails gameplay
  • variety and realism pretty much gone
  • scoring the same goals over and over because too many things around the box just aren't worth trying any more as they don't work
  • CPU players play way beyond what their stats say they should, ping-pong pixel-perfect boredom
  • every CPU direct free-kick is a perfect shot into the top corner, no matter what their stats are (yes, the wall can block them sometimes but that is not the point - no variety, no imperfection, boring, repetitive, scripted)
,.....increasingly feels like they're turning it back into PES19.

At least I've got the option to go back to 1.0.

konami need to give digital users access to 1.0 - even if its offline-only.

only played 3 exh matches but I instantly felt more freedom post-patch and also seeing less of cpu getting to the ball quicker than my player after a tackle which is good.

I don't trust that they won't break what we have at the mo so enjoy it while it lasts.

Great Vid. What camera are you using?
Sorry I get back to you so late.
I’m using a customized stadium cam. My settings: 4,0,5 instead of stadium default 2,3,6!
Sometimes I wish I could see more, my striker when counter attacking for example, but I don’t want to miss on all the lovely details neither.

Edit: auto offside trap ladies!!! ...and gentlemen!! TURN IT ON!!
Thank you @Matt10 !! :WORSHIP:
Don’t want to miss it anymore!!

Last edited:
I've seen few comments like this and it worries me a bit. It reminds me the foul situation from the demo.
Altho I agreed that some moments were slightly off - I didnt want them to change anything. Coz I had a feeling from the get go - their 'fix' will break it.
Same here. Im worried that if they see people complaining about AI playing the ball around - next patch will just make them crazy direct and there wont be any build up from AI.

I didn't say what was off or that I'm desperate for it to change. But if a team is twice as good as mine and it's 40 minutes into the match and they haven't had a single shot, then it's probably fine for they to take their time at the back (patience is often key against a stubborn defence). However, if they're 1-0/2-0 down on 80 minutes, I'm not thrashing them, so they shouldn't be playing to not make the result worse, they should be taking risks as the chance of a draw should far out-weigh their goal-difference dropping one more. It's not a 'risk' me pressing them into playing it around the back for the last ten minutes and never crossing the halfway line. They should be getting the ball forward (even at the risk of losing the ball). Even when they throw a CB up top (and go all-out attack), you often seem them try and keep it at the back with 3 rather than lump it up to use the CBs aerial prowess (although I didn't see that in the few games I managed to play yesterday with the latest update). This is what feels off to me. I sit back as it causes them to play a little more realistically.

This is NOT a plea for the CPU to be made to purely play directly.

This is NOT a plea for the CPU to be made to purely play directly.
I know. It was not aimed at you, just in general. As I've seen few comments like this without any explanation.
If people cant explain it properly and give examples - sometimes its better to say nothing.
If Konami waited few weeks and gathered proper data, along with examples of broken fouls in the demo, instead of acting upon "every touch is a foul" comments - we probably wouldnt be where we are now, foul-wise.

This!
Matt! You're some god damn magician!
Re-posting it in case people missed it.
I didnt even know about this option!
Never changed anything in support menu. But I thought to myself - what the hell! Matt usually knows what he's talking about...
I really really enjoyed last patch - pace, flow, player reactions, more human AI..
But this option is like somebody toned the script down! Played 5 games and im not getting anymore any of those "laser-guided-out-of-nowhere-impossible-to-stop AI through balls. Everything became more fair, more human..
I absolutely love this game right now..
Anyhow, back to it.
Looking forward to trying it out! If it works well could be worth as many people letting Adam n official PES knowing see if they could get a blanket update through!

Here lies the problem with programming AI, One tiny change can cause an absolute huge effect. It's why we dont see many Pens giving against us imo as that tiny change and all of a sudden we are getting 1 2 3 pens a match!

Here lies the problem with programming AI, One tiny change can cause an absolute huge effect. It's why we dont see many Pens giving against us imo as that tiny change and all of a sudden we are getting 1 2 3 pens a match!

Back
Top Bottom