eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

I was at such a crucial point in my ML campaign that I didn't want to install the patch until I finished the season. Now that I have, I am kind of sick of Pes for now, I did play a couple of ML game after tge patch but saw no real difference, I'll have to test it more later.

Played one game this afternoon, 20 min. Really satisfied so far. My expectations where low and my hopes where high. I got way more then i expected and just slightly less then i hoped for.

Pro:
+ Slower pace
+ Heavier passing (also, do to this it is now easier again to do a short pass which is especially important because it reduces the chance to pass the ball to the second man when you intented to pass it to the reciever near you, something that happened to me a lot since they sped up the passing)
+ Dribbling feels more natural, AI is fooled easier without removing risk.
+ CPU shows more variation
+ CPU dribbles a lot more
+ Holding X is punished a lot more! Awesome!

Cons:
- 1 on 1's are still a bit stiff at times. The 'force field' and animation sequences that need to enfold still leaves you guessing sometimes on what happens next, as opposed to being able to clearly predict outcomes on the basis of visual cues that are in line with physics and logic. However, the glue is nerfed down a good bunch. Ball is more loose on the feet and i feel more in control and out of control at the right moments.
- AI can be a bit tame, saw them ignore the ball two times this match. I do like how the midfield takes a step back and instead closes down passing lanes. Hope to see some variation there depending on the team and scoreline, have to play more.
- CPU fouls could be more it seems, have to play more.

Last edited:
Played one game this afternoon, 20 min. Really satisfied so far. My expectations where low and my hopes where high. I got way more then i expected and just slightly less then i hoped for.

Pro:
+ Slower pace
+ Heavier passing (also, do to this it is now easier again to do a short pass which is especially important because it reduces the chance to pass the ball to the second man when you intented to pass it to the reciever near you, something that happened to me a lot since they sped up the passing)
+ Dribbling feels more natural, AI is fooled easier without removing risk.
+ CPU shows more variation
+ CPU dribbles a lot more
+ Holding X is punished a lot more! Awesome!

Cons:
- 1 on 1's are still a bit stiff at times. The 'force field' and animation sequences that need to enfold still leaves you guessing sometimes on what happens next, as opposed to being able to clearly predict outcomes on the basis of visual cues that are in line with physics and logic. However, the glue is nerfed down a good bunch. Ball is more loose on the feet and i feel more in control and out of control at the right moments.
- AI can be a bit tame, saw them ignore the ball two times this match. I do like how the midfield takes a step back and instead closes down passing lanes. Hope to see some variation there depending on the team and scoreline, have to play more.
- CPU fouls could be more it seems, have to play more.

Yeah mate!

Passing game, team shape, player positioning, ball physics, off-ball runs are great now. Almost perfect.

However everything related to 1vs1 it's just a mess if you comare it to demo/1.0. Tackling, dribbling, player weight, inertia, colissions, animations physicality.

So the question is, If this stuff aren't directly related or connected, why they can't just bring it back?

Well... It was a mistake actually. All this time my PS4 was offline and whenever I played it was always 1.0. One day I went online to try PS Now. I saw the patch downloading and I paused it. Forgetting to turn off online, I switched off the console in rest mode, and next time I turned it on the patch was automatically downloaded and installed :CONF:

But now I see a lot of fixes and Serie B. So I'm glad this fluke happened :)
Yeah that almost happened to me before... it's best to just not connect to network, else it tries to force you.

Btw, whoever is interested, on pesteam someone told me that the reason Serie B kits are fucked up and many others is sometimes the club's marketing department sends Konami examples of kits that they have for sale, not the actual ones used in matches. And the kits for sale are apparently sometimes without sponsor :? . And it takes time for Konami to get the proper kit and communicate with the clubs and sometimes it won't happen at all. I don't understand why not just find pictures on the internet or use good kits that are already made by patchmakers.

Anyway, that's how we get those bootleg sponsorless kits :CENSOR:

@Filippo-Inzaghi EditemosPES is probably the best one right now. I would wait a few days for everything to be corrected after the update.

Played some more with the new patch and i think this game is very, very good with weaker Teams like 2-Stars Teams. With this Teams the pace is very nice and you will see a lot of errors in passing and first touch from the AI. Dribbling is nice too against "weaker" defenders.

Unfortunately if you play this game with Top Teams like Bayern, 3-4-5 Stars Teams, it plays very different. It's to fast, to perfect and not half as good as it is with "bad" teams.

Overall i think it is a good patch. But i'm not sure if i like the new animation speed. It's more responsive now but the movement of the player is a little bit to fast imo.

So I started playing online few days ago, here are my conclusions after today's patch mixed up added together please help me!

PES side of things

I am actually impressed. After 50+ games I have only had one disconnect. Some matches are definitely impacted by connection quality, some sort of input lag kicks in, but all things considered it is nothing I cannot deal with. I remember way, way, WAAAAAAAAAY worse online days. Surprisingly not a lot of lag-cheating as well. Searching for players takes time but no longer than 10 minutes, I got kicked out with "no players found" message maybe twice, which - by PES standards - is a triple-A quality. At least on PS4.

I am genuinely impressed Konami.

Other players
I don't really feel much of a difference when it comes to the opposition with regards to pass assistance or play style. There are some insufferable cunts just long-balling it all day long, there are PA3 people as well although honestly I cannot tell who's playing what settings. Haven't got much in terms of those crazy 5-0-5 formations either. All in all, they are all relatively normal, surprisingly enough.

On the other hand I have a whole different approach to PES, I recognize its just a video game and I'm not looking for a football simulation. PES 5/6, often hailed as the closest thing to football ever were arcade as a holy fuck, but they were incredibly well balanced thus creating illusion of the real thing. People will want to win, some at all cost. Some will be looking to emulate a style of football they enjoy like me. The rest doesn't matter. I have had all sorts of matches and in quite a few occasions had no problem stopping infamous long-ball spam.

I also tried myClub but its a different beast. I don't care enough to grind for a super team with max team spirit so at this point it's impossible to get in. Superleveled top players are simply too much for PES gameplay, now that is a horrible speedfest no one can stop. That's the sort of game I don't want to play. I will stick to Online Divisions and National Teams.

I am a realist and I don't mind the community.

My fortunes

I wasn't expecting a lot but upon seeing - for the first time in history - a functional online PES game - I dived in. Because of EURO license I decided to play with national teams. At first it was Poland, then I went on to try bigger teams and seem to feel the best with Spain and Germany. Especially Spanish midfield is quite intense. Quality players really shine through. Thiago Alcantara is my new PES waifu lol!

I experimented, A LOT, with tactics. So many formations and settings were tested, and I can see the difference. Especially after today though I struggle with crafting the perfect one for me. I like possession and quick passing, but I might try and go for a counter short-passing tiki taka team. I have many ideas, they all okay but not okay enough :D There is plenty of space for development right here and I will keep experimenting.

I have a feeling 3-5-2 formation would be ideal for me, I tried 3 at the back one but went against 4-3-3 longball madrid white and it was a nightmare. If you have any tactical tips or any cool tictacs drop'em! I like passing, skinning fools with right stick (see below) and #slickplays.

Early on I was doing great. No joke. At best I had 50%+ win ratio, and around 0.7 goal conceded a match. Games against me were a tough affair, with crowded midfield and my PES specialty which is desperate defending, I would ruin some people's day :D I got into Division 8 with ease and almost got out of it twice after getting around 1700 out of 2000 points required. My absolute best run was 5 straight wins in a row with Spain. Almost got to 600 player rating as well. Never, ever have I achieved anything like this online.

But something happened yesterday, fuck if I know what. My own teams started turning against me. It was a very furious session. 75% of goals conceded were due to total defender retardation or famous awareness issues, player paralysis and straight fucking stupidity. Man I was screaming, and just falling off my chair at some point. Almost every goal conceded was good enough to be a meme. Stumbling and paralytic defenders ruined my day. With 1/6/3 record I barely, barely avoided relegation.

Today, after a patch I had a few games again and we are in the relegation zone again. I have absolutely no clue what's happening to me or my players. I lose three, four goals a game. The last game for today, that made me quit, was against some total noob, with a win ratio of 10%, smashing me as if it was me being total shit. Lost 0-4. It was an agony, literally. I felt like I was dying. What the fuck was going on!!! I understand that I score very little goals since my play in the last third, and especially shooting is lacking - sometimes I'd have games with 15 shots on goal and maybe one goal scored. But at the back I was doing very well so basically wtf pes. Until yesterday, and most of the time I literally can't even do anything.

I will keep trying however, I choose to believe that there is a skill in this game and you can learn and you can improve and get better and I wish to give it a few more days, especially since it actually runs so smoothly this year.

A word on a new patch
The biggest plus for me is dribbling. Had a total blast right-sticking fools into kingdom fuck with the likes of Thiago and Azpilicueta. Very smooth! Reminds me of PES6 R2 dribbling, ah! Otherwise I don't feel much of a difference, it seems more difficult to crowd the defensive line to me as well which, given that I liked to do it every now and then, isn't very nice.

Doesn't feel like a massive patch to be honest, but I've had what, four games online today I think, so no idea on offline as well, and to be honest dribbling alone makes me happy. I can finally do the thing with the finesse and go past the man!

I still despise shooting. I keep going back and forth between basic and manual. I dislike both. The first will fuck you up in the worst moment (oh look you missed that super important shot by five milimeters how close how exciting!!!!), the latter simply lacks variety and only works from certain angles for me. Satisfying but only sometimes. By far the worst problem with this game for me right now. But maybe I'll figure out basic. If I was to convert 10% more chances I'd be in Division 6 now I think :BRMM:

Final words
If you wanna play am on PS4 Let me know!!! I would also love to organize a cup, or a mini-league, or something. Like say we play Danish league, you get a team, I get a team, everyone gets a team and we just do league with table and goalscorers etc. Would be fun. Talk to @Saint Angelo this guy right here if you wanna do it! I am always here bro whats the story man!

Regardless of the recent infuriating games and shortcomings, I am willing to keep trying. At least for some time. Not gonna touch ML for a while :D

Thank u for ur time!!

I don’t get this PES. I have been loyal to PES since the early games but the last couple of years moved to FIFA. I’ve spent the last month trying to get back into PES but have the following issues:

• From playing at the highest level I’ve found myself having to play at Top Player at times
  • Passes don’t connect at all, I try and play straight forward balls but somehow the player chooses another person or it’s slightly off
  • If you lose the ball in midfield you concede a goal
  • If you concede a freekick outside of the area, even within 35m, you concede a goal
  • Teams play a direct ball to one of their front two and are in immediately, it’s like my three man midfield aren’t there.
I put some of this down to starting with the original ML team (I just stayed up in the second division first season!). I then was promoted via playoffs and now 6th in the prem. But the game is so inconsistent, I don’t enjoy it because patterns of play seem so random and there are far more mistakes than seem warranted for how I play the game. It used to be second nature for me but now I’m scratching my head?

Any advice or feedback?? I play on normal speed but basic controls and pass assist level 3 (if I move to 1 or 2 it takes an age for the ball to be released?).

Ok.
Here's my two cents. Played two games
- one exhibition, one in my ML.

Little side note before I get to the most important thing, which is obviously whats on the pitch (like faces)

Fair play for finally fixing kits. Fiorentina has a sponsor (thank you, Ribery) and serie A finally has serie A logo flashing during replays.

Now! F̶a̶c̶e̶s̶ Gameplay!

Definetely more breathing space on the pitch. Matches were very enjoyable. For someone who was holding supercancel in every game in my ML last week - I barely had to hold it anymore.
I used it the way its meant to be used - only when I wanted to create different run path, or position myself. Mostly used it in defense to cover opposition runs. In offense - didnt really feel the need to do so.

Breathing space doesnt equal more stupid, or stand-offish AI. I felt like AI played smarter, more human like. They were marking players and covering possible passing lanes. Same way as we would defend.

Attack wise - AI was also more creative. Didnt have the feeling of - 'oh, its this attacking pattern. I know this one'.
Also - few lovely AI shots from distance and - what made me smile - couple of lovely skill moves by AI players, that left me to dust.
Few turn and shoot attempts, but looking at the replay - hard to blame them. Fella was in position and it was best possible choice. And they didnt score. I was able to defend each time.

Dribbling tiny bit more responsive, altho this part is hard to judge considering my best dribbler has OVR 67.. but I could do few simple tricks and I could pass the defenders. And thats the main thing. Playing in ML with crappy teams you dont want to be forced to forget about dribbling for few seasons. It should be fun from the start. Not easy, but fun.

Couple of lovely mean sliding tackles from AI in my ML. 3 yellows for the bastards. Lovely to see.

Overall - very happy with the patch. I enjoyed the game before, altho I felt like I was battling the controller most of the time. Now it just flows, naturally. And I have time to think what to do next, instead of looking around to quickly get rid of the ball or be violated by AI.

And most important thing - they didn't seem to fuck anything up. Randomness is still there, errors are still there, physicality is still there.

Well done, Arigato!
I don't understand why some people say dribbling doesn't work in this patch. I"ve got Under, Hudson-Odoi and Ismaila Sarr in my MIlan ML and they are amazing dribblers. With them since the update, i beat most defenders with finesse dribbling 8 out of 10 times. I've even taken on 3 players successfully before with Hudson-Odoi before being fouled.

AI is definitely smarter. Now you have to take your chances because they are precious. The game can change with AI tactics but unlike before i've lost matches now without ever feeling cheated.

I don't understand why some people say dribbling doesn't work in this patch. I"ve got Under, Hudson-Odoi and Ismaila Sarr in my MIlan ML and they are amazing dribblers. With them since the update, i beat most defenders with finesse dribbling 8 out of 10 times. I've even taken on 3 players successfully before with Hudson-Odoi before being fouled.

AI is definitely smarter. Now you have to take your chances because they are precious. The game can change with AI tactics but unlike before i've lost matches now without ever feeling cheated.

Finesse Dribbling is not normal dribbling. That's why most of us don't talk about FD when we talk about the impossibility to beat defenders 1on1 trying to dribble past them.

Finesse Dribbling is about magic moves, tricks, and all that paraphernalia.

Did they change turf a bit?
Stadiums look nicer, more... real?
Im far from a turf guy, so if I noticed some difference - something must have been changed, no?
Saw Chunys post and it came back to me now.

Fouls have disappeared for me in this patch. Averaged around 3 game before which while not great was something. Not a single foul in the last 3 games, or advantage...

Konami claimed the following was fixed: "An issue that prevented obvious fouls from being flagged as fouls by the ref"

Have to say I think that is a straight up lie. Last game I got three bad tackles, two of my players needed treatment. But no foul, advantage... nada. :D

Finesse Dribbling is not normal dribbling. That's why most of us don't talk about FD when we talk about the impossibility to beat defenders 1on1 trying to dribble past them.

I get you.

Fouls have disappeared for me in this patch. Averaged around 3 game before which while not great was something. Not a single foul in the last 3 games, or advantage...

Konami claimed the following was fixed: "An issue that prevented obvious fouls from being flagged as fouls by the ref"

Have to say I think that is a straight up lie. Last game I got three bad tackles, two of my players needed treatment. But no foul, advantage... nada. :D
I'm still getting 4 or 5 a game not including 2 or 3 advantages

I don’t get this PES. I have been loyal to PES since the early games but the last couple of years moved to FIFA. I’ve spent the last month trying to get back into PES but have the following issues:

• Passes don’t connect at all, I try and play straight forward balls but somehow the player chooses another person or it’s slightly off
How long were you away from PES for?

I’m only asking because I had this exact problem when I came back to PES a few years ago. I was passing to the wrong player constantly.

When passing always, always aim for the player you want to to pass to. Now that might sound obvious, but in ’that other game’ you can aim passes for the space and the game will pick the appropriate player. PES doesn’t really do that.

At the risk of sounding massively pedantic; finesse dribbling is simply close control. You can’t do a single skill move using the right stick on its own. There’s nothing magic about it.

This might sound harsh, but if people are struggling with the dribbling but aren’t even using all the dribbling tools they’ve been given......

Last edited:
This might sound harsh, but if people are struggling with the dribbling but aren’t even using all the dribbling tools they’ve been given......
@Chuny
In fact, just to explain myself a little better:

If I was trying to chop up some veg for dinner, but instead of using a knife I was trying to use my finger you’d be like “You idiot!! Use the knife!! That’s what it’s for!!” :FAIL: :DD

Finesse dribbling is no different.

At the risk of sounding massively pedantic; finesse dribbling is simply close control. You can’t do a single skill move using the right stick on its own. There’s nothing magic about it.

Yes, spot on I was about to say this. FD is just the new name for the old R2 close control dribble, the problem with it being on right stick is that people are confusing it with the skills that you can do by combining Right stick+Left stick.

Tested a new ML save. Game is more fun for sure. Still hardly any fouls but I’ve just got to accept it now. Game isn’t nowhere near as frustrating in Superstar IN Master League now which is a big deal for me as Top Player is too easy.

Now I need an option file which gives me all the Serie B stadia names and rivalries!
I just installed the update. Looking at it now I thought we had the Serie b already licenced with the V1 option file PesUniv..but seems that it wasn't the case and the stadium and managers names aren't there. Same for Series A actually, some teams have it(just manager names) but stadiums aren't there..wasnt it implemented in the option file we got ? Can't remember now..but stadiums and rivals are missing.

Last edited:
How long were you away from PES for?

I’m only asking because I had this exact problem when I came back to PES a few years ago. I was passing to the wrong player constantly.

When passing always, always aim for the player you want to to pass to. Now that might sound obvious, but in ’that other game’ you can aim passes for the space and the game will pick the appropriate player. PES doesn’t really do that.

Idk why people complain about dribbling. It's so responsive and intuitive in this game. You don't even have to use RS. I have auto feint on and even on SS it's quite easy to dribble past the defender with players like Madisson, Vardy, Gray etc. by only using the LS. And these are just Leicester players with normal ratings. I'm getting from 7-10 fouls per game committed by the cpu and these numbers are without a large portion of advantage played by the ref.
Imagine if I decide to use a really top team. Tbh I never used these extraordinary skill moves since I remember myself playing football videogames for nearly 25 years now. I keep it simple all the time, focusing on tactics and such. Maybe it helps that I was always a big offline user.

I just installed the update. Looking at it now I thought we had the Serie b already licenced with the V1 option file PesUniv..but seems that it wasn't the case and the stadium and managers names aren't there. Same for Series A actually, some teams have it(just manager names) but stadiums aren't there..wasnt it implemented in the option file we got ? Can't remember now..but stadiums and rivals are missing.
We did have stadium names and rivalries on Serie A and B (or at least I did as I used a PESTeam.it option file) but today’s data pack has overwritten Serie A and B for me. So annoying!

Game is sooo easy now on superstar its a bit of a joke even in master league. Everyone turns soo quickly like everyone is Messi.

Back
Top Bottom