eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

So you sold your soul to the updates because of Serie B?
Well... It was a mistake actually. All this time my PS4 was offline and whenever I played it was always 1.0. One day I went online to try PS Now. I saw the patch downloading and I paused it. Forgetting to turn off online, I switched off the console in rest mode, and next time I turned it on the patch was automatically downloaded and installed :CONF:

But now I see a lot of fixes and Serie B. So I'm glad this fluke happened :)

One bad moment and a good one from my Feyenoord ML.

The bad one, which to me is quite the highlight of the "passingitis" of this game:

The Vitesse guy pierced my midfield, did a wonderful run and even dribble my last defender to my surprise.. to do what? Pass to the marked guy. Even if I still see the odd dribbling here and there, it's like it's ingrained in their DNA that passing is the absolute priority over almost anything. Meh.

Now for the good one, I faced Man U, in EL, lost 2-1 and scored this outside goal:

I was (positively) surprised as well. Low, not perfectly angled.. I hope it's not just a case and I'll be able to see more like this. Berghuis is also quite a good shooter so it felt pretty realistic. Don't ask me why but Man U bought Donnarumma.. lol.

By the way, all in all, to me from these first games behind all the flaws it still makes for a wonderful game of football, but I was of the same opinion even before, so take it for what it is. I'm not sure how can you truly love the game after today's patch if you completely hated it before.
He should really go on for the one-on-one in the first video. It is from these AI stupid moments. The second goal was pretty touching! :)

Im still wondering about tattoo licenses. Why do they have to be removed if the player is not playing for the premium partner anymore and only to have the real face. Just to differentiate the partners?

Im still wondering about tattoo licenses. Why do they have to be removed if the player is not playing for the premium partner anymore and only to have the real face. Just to differentiate the partners?

It's a kind of "extra content" and part of players' licensing. Players own those tattoos and it's treated as something you need to have rights to present, use commercially. Premium means more, better, extra,. If it is only a basic license (real name, in-game face) - then they cannot publish anything else.

It's weird, quite difficult to understand why it works like that, but nowadays in "copyright issues" era you need to pay for any content you wish to sell and that's why players' tattoos is treated by KONAMI on same level as adding new stadiums or teams into the game

Ok.
Here's my two cents. Played two games
- one exhibition, one in my ML.

Little side note before I get to the most important thing, which is obviously whats on the pitch (like faces)

Fair play for finally fixing kits. Fiorentina has a sponsor (thank you, Ribery) and serie A finally has serie A logo flashing during replays.

Now! F̶a̶c̶e̶s̶ Gameplay!

Definetely more breathing space on the pitch. Matches were very enjoyable. For someone who was holding supercancel in every game in my ML last week - I barely had to hold it anymore.
I used it the way its meant to be used - only when I wanted to create different run path, or position myself. Mostly used it in defense to cover opposition runs. In offense - didnt really feel the need to do so.

Breathing space doesnt equal more stupid, or stand-offish AI. I felt like AI played smarter, more human like. They were marking players and covering possible passing lanes. Same way as we would defend.

Attack wise - AI was also more creative. Didnt have the feeling of - 'oh, its this attacking pattern. I know this one'.
Also - few lovely AI shots from distance and - what made me smile - couple of lovely skill moves by AI players, that left me to dust.
Few turn and shoot attempts, but looking at the replay - hard to blame them. Fella was in position and it was best possible choice. And they didnt score. I was able to defend each time.

Dribbling tiny bit more responsive, altho this part is hard to judge considering my best dribbler has OVR 67.. but I could do few simple tricks and I could pass the defenders. And thats the main thing. Playing in ML with crappy teams you dont want to be forced to forget about dribbling for few seasons. It should be fun from the start. Not easy, but fun.

Couple of lovely mean sliding tackles from AI in my ML. 3 yellows for the bastards. Lovely to see.

Overall - very happy with the patch. I enjoyed the game before, altho I felt like I was battling the controller most of the time. Now it just flows, naturally. And I have time to think what to do next, instead of looking around to quickly get rid of the ball or be violated by AI.

And most important thing - they didnt seem to fuck anything up. Randomness is still there, errors are still there, physicality is still there.

Well done, Arigato!

Best PES ever after playing a few games post the update. Playing South American Master League, lots of different tactics, AI is better,players running in behind, slower pace, ball feels heavier but in a good way. Had three games so far and loving it, its night and day compared to last patch for me. .WOW! NICE ONE KONAMI!!

Every game has had variation so far,not been frustrating and most of all the enjoyment is back! Playing with a big grin!

So having a few games in different stadiums with different teams as they all play differently...

Its definitely slower.
The shooting is tighter.
The game shape is better, a bit more resistance in midfield.

However...

Its is NOT a return to the demo or even vanilla. Not by a long shot.
The game somehow feels quite heavier and more rigid and weighed down with gravity. Somebody earlier wrote there was no creativity and excitement with this patch which I thought was strange at the time, but I think I get what they mean. It's a little one-paced and attacks dont seem to have sweep and explosive ness to them.

The.ball in particular feels a little dead to pass around. The passing feels rigid, the trajectories, particularly in terms of curve on passes are far more uniform.

I've also noticed the colour balance is better on pitches but graphics now look darker compared to v 1.00.

To be clear guys, I've mainly played 1.00 since release and I have to say, this isnt up to that.
V1.00 feels alive, it has a bounce in its legs, a sweep and rhythm that has been progressively lost in patches in my experience.

This now, although a good game (and had I never played v1.00 or demo, I'd think it was very good) has the hallmarks of later-patch konami rigidness that creeps into pes games around October (we occasionally get looseness back around feb/march I suppose).

I think for those looking for a slower game, a heavier game with better game shape, yep, this delivers that, espcially if you want online and option files. And...and...over time, the game may open out and the variety of attacks may still be in there, I completely accept a few games isnt necessarily enough to be definitive about that.

But if you were looking for the freedom and sweep and randomness and that peculiar rhythm and tempo of the demo (the pes 18 onlie beta had it too if your wondering what I'm on about), then my view at the moment is that's not there.

I just think its impossible for konami to head back to that gameplay. Playing vanilla, then a fair bit of the previous patch the last few days and then this, it's so obvious how much work they've done (in the wrong direction in my opinion) to move it away from demo and v1.00. How they then dial it all back to that feel without starting again is beyond me.

If the demo was a ballerina, this latest version is a pole vaulter.

Dont hesitate the speed up your game play at +1 speed if you think it is heavy.. i start all games with 0 , some games are slow and heavy i speed up these games and it feels perfect.. try that

I saw these, i assume this is from development team's facebook page. (YES IT IS :D) It analyzes more the changes, explaining the mentality and reasoning of each change, in comparison to the rigid notes in the official page. Furthermore it has a lot of comic relief humor-comments by them!!! Good people!!! :) ;) :D

I include it in spoiler cause it is really big!!!

Details Regarding the Data Pack 2 Patch

Hello, PES Fans.

This is the PES Gameplay team, and today we are bringing you some details on the gameplay changes coming in the newest patch (DP2.00/Patch 1.02.00).

■ Gameplay Fixes:

・Fixed an issue that prevented the Super Cancel technique from working as intended.

This was an issue that a large number of fans flagged, so we took care to make sure that we got it right.

We fixed the issue where the Super Cancel would sometimes fail to work under the following circumstances:

1. When you charge up the kick gauge, triggering a long kick animation before taking a shot.

2. When the player tried to shoot/cross a ball in a direction different to the one he is facing (which can occasionally cause players to fall over).

3. When the R1 and R2 button (RB and RT buttons for Xbox One) were not released at the same time.

・Fixed an issue where goalkeeper fouls were not being called correctly.

We noticed that sometimes the referee would forget to blow the whistle when a goalkeeper committed a foul.

Examples of this included when your goalkeeper comes into contact with an opposing player, such as when attempting to tackle him, or when trying to catch/punch the ball.

Now you will no longer have to scream for a penalty shot when your opponent’s goalkeeper commits a foul.

・Fixed an issue where the 2nd kicker in a “Trick FK” would sometimes kick the ball in a different direction.

Normally, when performing a “Trick FK” you would expect that after the 1st kicker steps over the ball the 2nd kicker would prepare his shot.

Although visually it may have appeared as though you were in control of both kickers, you were not in control of the 2nd kicker at all!

Nope, it wasn’t your evil twin - it was just a problem with how controls worked.
Specifically, if you had not switched your cursor to the 2nd kicker by the time the 1st kicker had stepped over the ball, the game would automatically put the AI in control of the 2nd kicker.

To make matters worse, pressing the kick button would cause the power gauge to appear, making it look as though you were in control of how strong the shot would be, but in fact, you were not in control at all.

We fixed this issue, so now you will have complete control over the 2nd kicker and how the shot will be taken.

■ General Gameplay Changes

・Adjusted the cursor change to target the player that is closest to a loose ball.

・Adjusted the way players react to loose balls.

Regarding this issue, we want to provide some insight into how the AI works with regards to loose balls.

When there is a loose ball on the pitch, the following happens:

1. The AI judges where you closest player is in relation to the opponent's closest player.

2. If it determines that your player has a good chance to get there before the opponent, it will make your player dash towards the ball.

3. On the other hand, if it determines your player is not likely to beat the opponent to the ball, your player doesn’t make a play for the ball, and is placed under your control instead.

Originally, the AI was programmed to be extremely conservative when determining whether your player had a good chance to arrive first, meaning that more often than not, you would be put in control of the closest player instead of attacking the ball.

We have now adjusted the algorithm to increase the number of situations in which the AI makes the player run towards the ball.

The result of this is that players are more likely to attack a loose ball to try and gain possession.

・Adjusted the positioning of the defence line and midfield line

The positioning of the defence line and midfield line tended to leave a gap between the two, which allowed the attackers to pass the ball towards the frontlines with relative ease.

To fix this issue, we adjusted the midfield line to be closer to the defence line, allowing for a more solid defence.

As a result, the overall pacing of matches will slow down a little, since more emphasis will be put on the build up from the midfield.

Phew, that was quite a lot of content, but I think we covered the major points.
The full update information can be found in the in-game Information section or the official website.

As always, your feedback on the new gameplay is always welcome, and we will continue to work hard to improve the gameplay.

This is all for now.

We hope you enjoy the new patch and its new gameplay.

Last edited:
Played 3 more games on SS, 25min. Absolutely love it.
Heavy first touches, many inaccurate passes even on PA1, cpu AI is creative, on the fly tactics changes are more frequent, there is more randomness and 50-50 encounters, more fouls are called (though I had already a lot in my games).
Loose ball awareness is not fixed 100% but it is much improved.

So I initially was not very happy after a few couch play games with a buddy, I then proceeded to play 4 hours against top player full fuma and it was a joy after figuring out the slow gameplay.
Really enjoying trying to break down the tight midfield and defense so I'm hoping this experience is good when I go back to couch play.
Some big changes (coming from 1.0) I noticed playing AI was that players individual traits really stand out and fast players really burst away. Shielding the ball is feeling really effective and I think that I'm so used to the freedom of 1.0 it might have blinded me to the fact it's unrealistic that I can turn 5 times in a second and this patch really slows that down while still giving me just enough freedom to express myself.

Overall if your mostly playing AI I think the upgrade from 1.0 to this is worth it and I will update my thoughts on couch play with friends after a large playtest tonight.

MISSING

Fouls committed by the AI.

Last known whereabouts - The Demo

* please contact Konami if you have any information as they'd like to completely eradicate this annoyance asap *

But seriously I've just played 3 Argentine league games in a row, total fouls 0 (1 advantage played) and it's no wonder when there's barely a tackle going in! Not when they can rely on the trusty PES fox engine nudge + stumble combo to win possession whenever required. If anything the AI feels more passive than the demo and precisely who asked for that!?! There's just a really sterile feel about this game imo.

So this update is supposed to be 1.04, right?

I (thought I) installed it but both the homescreen and the in game menu says 1.02 and the half a game I had time for didn't feel different at all.
However if I press start button on the app-icon and choose search for updates it says I'm on the latest update...

Can someone please go to the homescreen and/or in game menu and check what it says (if you're positive yours is updated to latest version)?

So this update is supposed to be 1.04, right?

I (thought I) installed it but both the homescreen and the in game menu says 1.02 and the half a game I had time for didn't feel different at all.
However if I press start button on the app-icon and choose search for updates it says I'm on the latest update...

Can someone please go to the homescreen and/or in game menu and check what it says (if you're positive yours is updated to latest version)?
Patch version is 1.02... the Application version is 1.04....the current .EXE of PS4, i mean.

Sounds confusing but thanks for your reply @slamsoze :TU:
So your saying that I'm fine if it says 1.02 in the home screen?

I have not still played, to tell you 1.000% for sure, but since the developers say it is DP 2.0 , version 1.02, i assume you are ok.
For your confusion, an EXAMPLE:
sometimes they make an update and in-game it says 1.01. The game version is 1.01, the next time, they may go 1.01.01, but the PS4 app. of the game is updated too, so it goes 1.02. When it goes 1.01.02 in-game, it is 1.03 for PS4-app.
With current terms, if the next time it goes DLC 2.1 , ver. 1.02.01, the PS4-app will update too , to ver. 1.05.
Hope didn't confuse you more!! :)

looks like vanilla cant be beat for some
It will never be the same level of freedom there.

Question is - is it worth the trade at this point? Is it worth giving up on kits, squad updates, better AI and all the gameplay fixes? (Lets not forget - loose balls awareness was also an issue in demo/vanilla)
IMO - at this point - its not worth it.

So having a few games in different stadiums with different teams as they all play differently...

Its definitely slower.
The shooting is tighter.
The game shape is better, a bit more resistance in midfield.

However...

Its is NOT a return to the demo or even vanilla. Not by a long shot.
The game somehow feels quite heavier and more rigid and weighed down with gravity. Somebody earlier wrote there was no creativity and excitement with this patch which I thought was strange at the time, but I think I get what they mean. It's a little one-paced and attacks dont seem to have sweep and explosive ness to them.

The.ball in particular feels a little dead to pass around. The passing feels rigid, the trajectories, particularly in terms of curve on passes are far more uniform.

I've also noticed the colour balance is better on pitches but graphics now look darker compared to v 1.00.

To be clear guys, I've mainly played 1.00 since release and I have to say, this isnt up to that.
V1.00 feels alive, it has a bounce in its legs, a sweep and rhythm that has been progressively lost in patches in my experience.

This now, although a good game (and had I never played v1.00 or demo, I'd think it was very good) has the hallmarks of later-patch konami rigidness that creeps into pes games around October (we occasionally get looseness back around feb/march I suppose).

I think for those looking for a slower game, a heavier game with better game shape, yep, this delivers that, espcially if you want online and option files. And...and...over time, the game may open out and the variety of attacks may still be in there, I completely accept a few games isnt necessarily enough to be definitive about that.

But if you were looking for the freedom and sweep and randomness and that peculiar rhythm and tempo of the demo (the pes 18 onlie beta had it too if your wondering what I'm on about), then my view at the moment is that's not there.

I just think its impossible for konami to head back to that gameplay. Playing vanilla, then a fair bit of the previous patch the last few days and then this, it's so obvious how much work they've done (in the wrong direction in my opinion) to move it away from demo and v1.00. How they then dial it all back to that feel without starting again is beyond me.

If the demo was a ballerina, this latest version is a pole vaulter.
Cut the crap. The demo has its share of issue. This is miles better than the demo

Is there no other way I can control the ball, as the previous games I could use R2 for everything. I could use it to do what I want with ball basically. Please tell me there’s a button I’m missing out on here. Never feel like I’m in full control. Bare in mind I play on SS and play on legend at times.
just need some advice peeps.

Cut the crap. The demo has its share of issue. This is miles better than the demo

So you contradicted my opinion by offering your own? Good. That's what a forum is about. If only you'd managed it in a measured, respectful way.

I acknowledged there are many areas that are improved...yet I think its widely accepted certain elements of freedom and randomness were present in the demo that aren't here. Those elements created a feeling of freshness and explosive ness that havent been replicated since.
If that was important to you, this update fails to hit the spot.
That was my considered opinion.

At no point did I say the demo had no issues.
At times I thought it was too soft and even boring, lacking muscularity.
But that wasn't the point you were making, was it?

Some of you should indeed make peace with the fact the demo/1.0 (which at least to me aren't the perfect game anyway) isn't coming back.
The comparisons are interesting.

The two things I still need to see in PES 2020 are things that they've not been able to nail in a long time... Fouls (or more accurately, referees - because the demo had fouls but it still "wasn't right" IMO), and responsiveness (no more having to pass the ball away when you're within a couple of feet of an opponent, or you just automatically lose it).

Back
Top Bottom