eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

Υes i understand you. I do not know if i am too old, or i have big expectations,but i can't either go this route. Back in pre-PES 3 era, i used to fill 100 pages of notebooks, with fantasy leagues/cups/tournaments.
But now, i would prefer an in-game editable package, with this kind of stuff, 3rd divisions etc.

Wholeheartedly agree but, alas, it will probably never happen. For some strange reason we have never been allowed to link a third league into the game even as a fantasy league. To have one just makes it a more immersive experience, so we are left with a long winded botch job that only a few of us with sad lives, lol, can bother to attempt.
I have thought actually, to make it slightly less of a chore after the initial set up, to link my fantasy PES league, set up as Serie C, into an Italian Master League (with the added scripting probably) to see if that is any fun. It means achieving promotion playing a League mode season and then swapping my promoted team with a team in Serie B before starting a ML career. Am I mad to do this???

Regarding game speed, my perception of game speed is always down to the time of day. In the evening/night the game always feels lightning fast, in the morning or during day i am even tempted to put game speed up.

I did so many double checks with the demo and the experience is 1:1, so hidden updates can't be the reason. It really seems to be a constitution thing for me.

By the way, i compared post patch gameplay to the demo and the main variables (ball speed, player speed) seem to be untouched. CPU pressure seems to be the decisive factor the make things more frantic, which is clearly the better alternative to passive AI behaviour in my eyes.

My thoughts after last update for Offline.

Shots are more direct & more powerful.

So as headers.

R2 dribbling more direct.

Cpu Teams (cup modes) are slightly more difficult to beat.They are better in Offense-Defence without spam pressing

They do press but not with 2-3 players ON the ball player.They are pressing closing space & eventually giving you no space.You just have to lob the ball away now or you might end up with a wrong pass resulting an easy goal.

Cpu can make better through ball when being pressed high & the better players can now perform combo dribble moves changing directions.Overall cpu is slightly more difficult to beat.

There is less space between lines now.

The downfall is that the game became slightly faster...i may have to lower speed (again)

Seems to be a good update.
Must give it a go.

I quite like the subtle changes with responsiveness in the update but it's still not enough to pull me away from playing the vanilla version. A.i still don't dribble enough and physicality is still too weighted in their favour. Game flow still not up to vanilla standard also.

All three of these are still better, more believable & human like on 1.0 in my opinion. There's just an invisible physical wall around the A.i post patch at times and it's just pass, pass, pass.
I cannot stand the OTT A.i shielding in & around the box as well. The "back to goal ,turn & shoot" nonsense is still far too prevalent.

Here is the reason why devs no longer put out full patch notes

https://www.projectcarsgame.com/updates/project-cars-2-ps4-update-1-5-0-0/

"These notes are noticeably smaller than previous update notes. We had to refrain from listing every single fix as they were causing massive delays with certification. So keeping the notes smaller allowed us to push the update out for you all much quicker."

SMS used to put out full notes and then it would take a few weeks sometimes over a month for Sony to pass it, Making much sorter notes insanely sped up the process. The less patch notes the quicker we get it.

Here is the reason why devs no longer put out full patch notes

https://www.projectcarsgame.com/updates/project-cars-2-ps4-update-1-5-0-0/

"These notes are noticeably smaller than previous update notes. We had to refrain from listing every single fix as they were causing massive delays with certification. So keeping the notes smaller allowed us to push the update out for you all much quicker."

SMS used to put out full notes and then it would take a few weeks sometimes over a month for Sony to pass it, Making much sorter notes insanely sped up the process. The less patch notes the quicker we get it.
Huh, interesting. I used to work for Sony, doing certification, and this was never an issue. But I've not worked there for years so maybe they're more stringent now. But it doesn't really make sense.

It was never Sony's job to make sure the patch does what it says... Only that it doesn't brick your PlayStation, and that you can finish the game without issue. As far as I know, that's still the case. It's a third party's business what they do with their gameplay. Just as long as the end user can finish matches / races without any obvious glitching or crashing (well, the cars can crash).

I quite like the subtle changes with responsiveness in the update but it's still not enough to pull me away from playing the vanilla version. A.i still don't dribble enough and physicality is still too weighted in their favour. Game flow still not up to vanilla standard also.

All three of these are still better, more believable & human like on 1.0 in my opinion. There's just an invisible physical wall around the A.i post patch at times and it's just pass, pass, pass.
I cannot stand the OTT A.i shielding in & around the box as well. The "back to goal ,turn & shoot" nonsense is still far too prevalent.

You can win the ball back much easier pre patch & some would count this as a negative but I think it's far more believable because the A.i attempts many more human like dribbles.
This allows you you read the game better and it feels more natural. It's not always successful and they will often breeze past you but I know I have chance.

You can use defenders physical attributes to your advantage & positioning much better on 1.0 whereas I feel that's somewhat lost in any the updated versions because of the constant pass, pass, pass nature of their behaviour and dumbed down physicality.

The telepathic reading of your movements from the CPU is frustrating & an immersion killer. I don't find this to be a problem on 1.0, everything just still feels more natural.

I think that ball is much looser after the patch, which saves the day.
Long balls have meaning now, are risk worthy, leading to some nice goals.
Another thing i mentioned after the patch is that shooting is more direct, with less error and swerve which is not good.
Generally PES 2020 is at a very mature state, highly playable and enjoyable.
Speed, fluidity and smoothness perception is varied to stadium ligthing, shadows, grass color etc.
Stadio Olympico and Stade Louis II are my favorite in day/fine conditions.
Stadio Olympico creates an illusion that ball is sunk into pitch, feeling the thickness of the grass
Stade Louis II has angled heavy shadows, with high contrast to pitch color, which i like a lot.

I think that ball is much looser after the patch, which saves the day.
Long balls have meaning now, are risk worthy, leading to some nice goals.
Another thing i mentioned after the patch is that shooting is more direct, with less error and swerve which is not good.
Generally PES 2020 is at a very mature state, highly playable and enjoyable.
Speed, fluidity and smoothness perception is varied to stadium ligthing, shadows, grass color etc.
Stadio Olympico and Stade Louis II are my favorite in day/fine conditions.
Stadio Olympico creates an illusion that ball is sunk into pitch, feeling the thickness of the grass
Stade Louis II has angled heavy shadows, with high contrast to pitch color, which i like a lot.

If they dribbled more and fouls were sorted I would update to 1.03

Huh, interesting. I used to work for Sony, doing certification, and this was never an issue. But I've not worked there for years so maybe they're more stringent now. But it doesn't really make sense.

It was never Sony's job to make sure the patch does what it says... Only that it doesn't brick your PlayStation, and that you can finish the game without issue. As far as I know, that's still the case. It's a third party's business what they do with their gameplay. Just as long as the end user can finish matches / races without any obvious glitching or crashing (well, the cars can crash).
The less things they know about the less Sony has to check! As i say back then it went from 3-6 weeks (SMS did used to log every change and they would change alot) to about 1-2 weeks. Makes a massive difference and why you dont see devs putting out full patch notes now unless on PC.

This post was liked by 3 SMS devs at the time when some were questioning the reduction in patch notes

"It's almost certainly nothing to do with the text, but more likely that everything in the list has to be checked for certification - so a lovely long detailed list of changes/fixes for us is also a massive, time consuming list of things that have to be checked before the patch is approved..."

Last edited:
I did a European Cup trial with Belgium, at superstar..

Ball feels more free and team positioning better, although sometimes you still have mighty distances from defences and midfields.. especially late in the games where tactics needs to switch.

I had three very enjoyable games in the group, passed as the best third and beaten Portugal 4-1, where they opened themselves up for a lot of couters after I took the lead in the 2nd half.. will procede later.. also experienced a lot of small, very good football moments, but used to also happen before so whatever.

However, I'm not sure if it's all our dear friend placebo or not.. there could be some japanese guy somewhere in Konami reading all this stuff and laughing his ass off..

Flokiman said:
"Another thing i mentioned after the patch is that shooting is more direct, with less error and swerve which is not good"

Thats terrible if true. One of the most satisfying things about the demo and 1.0 was contextual shooting. I WANT my player to stumble whilst hitting a shot, I want bobble shots, slices etc, that leads to random situations.

I don't want every shot powerful and straight its boring and was rife in 19 and 18

Had a few games of 1.3 last night, feels much more fluid, less clunky. Still a few reaction issues and I gave a freekick away dribbling past someone, but it's more demo like imo. Fast players actually move again, which they weren't previous. Passing still seems to go where it wants as opposed to where you tell it at times though and the AI still manages to get into passing carousel mode in which you can't get to them before a pass to yet another player in space is made. One of the little things that bug me is that players on your team are day dreaming until you take control of them, not watching the game and the ball and doing their jobs, just spectating from roughly the area they should be positioned, always allows the AI to get the drop on you, particularly with aerial balls..

More testing to be carried out over the weekend..

I haven't done the update yet.
For now, I'm sticking to version 1.0 on another PS4.
Honestly, I'm amazed that the patch fixed all these things.
The changelog didn't mention them...
I don't think the patch 'fixed' anything
its a bold statement, the patch might improve some gameplay but far from fixed something
IMO I feel the patch changed something because I can't say they are exactly the same gameplay as 1.02
but I can't really tell what they changed since they are minor adjustments

Flokiman said:
"Another thing i mentioned after the patch is that shooting is more direct, with less error and swerve which is not good"

Thats terrible if true. One of the most satisfying things about the demo and 1.0 was contextual shooting. I WANT my player to stumble whilst hitting a shot, I want bobble shots, slices etc, that leads to random situations.

I don't want every shot powerful and straight its boring and was rife in 19 and 18

I don´t think so. Yesterday, had a friendly match on my ML, with Portugal against Uruguay. They played defensive and counter attack, and I created lots of chances. But my forwards were not in a good day, even CRonaldo. Had all types of shots missed, and on one ocasion, Ronaldo was in front of goal, but pressed with two defenders, and he he felt down as he was shooting. The shot was really weak and wide. Lost the match with lots of misses from Ronaldo and Bernardo Silva. Didn´t really feell that much of a diference to be honest. Maybe on one match in Europa League against Fenerbache, were CPU was all over the place, midfield was really really crowded, and it was very hard to pass the ball around. Really cool, but dunno if it was the patch or that match in particular.

Regarding game speed, my perception of game speed is always down to the time of day. In the evening/night the game always feels lightning fast, in the morning or during day i am even tempted to put game speed up.

I did so many double checks with the demo and the experience is 1:1, so hidden updates can't be the reason. It really seems to be a constitution thing for me.

By the way, i compared post patch gameplay to the demo and the main variables (ball speed, player speed) seem to be untouched. CPU pressure seems to be the decisive factor the make things more frantic, which is clearly the better alternative to passive AI behaviour in my eyes.

Do you meanmean real time ? yes. I feel so.. and i also think depends on the level of both team.

just discussing this at work now (similar industry, and people that used to do your job) who concurs that you're right and that's bullshit

My observations after last update:
1. Responsiveness is improved. Dribbling with skilled players is easier.
2. Lines are more compact.
3. Cpu AI shoot and turn is nerfed. They now look to pass to the wings in isolated situations which is closer to real life football.
4. AI utilizes more the wings which again represents better real life football.
5. Ball is looser leading to more random situations.
Things that MUST be fixed:
1. Loose ball awareness.
2. Cpu fouls inside the box. GK contact vs attacker is fully bugged. They forgot to add a code line. I had 3 times Vardy on 1-on-1 clattered by the GK. No penalty given.
3. GKs should go out on 1-on-1 no matter if they have the specific trait or not.

Regarding Sony patch certification: They don't test the patch notes. It's not their job. They test the patches to make sure they won't do any damage to the console.

I find exactly the same thing. Anytime I play after 9pm, the game feels so fast...I used to think it was something wrong with my ps4!

Is there anybody who think it's worse than 1.02?

Would have to play longer. But for me it makes dribbling easy again which for me makes the game on superstar too easy. So I've had to up the difficulty.

But I do like the slightly more freedom from the ball. Some mor random situations with players missing the ball etc.

A question to the PES PS4 players:
I play on PC and as far as I understand on PS4 it is possible to get back to version 1.0, right (because on PC it's not possible unfortunately!)? So how do you do that and are you still able to apply an option file after going back to 1.0? I have in mind that someone claimed that it's not possible to implemenet an option file after going back to version 1.0 but I don't get why.
Because if it's possible to revert to version 1.0 on PS4 and still be able to implement an option file I would maybe buy the game on PS4 too!:))

The first match I played with the update was fun. The other 5 were not fun (league mode). I could go into detail why that is, like others wrote this feel of invisble wall and overall dumbed down (feel) but for me it is enough to keep it at that because it is a good measure. I mean it also felt less immersive, where I was not imagening playing football which was enjoyable but instead I found myself thinking about what the game wants me to do so to speak and that's just dumb and not fun. Shots also not go where you aim too often.

The problem with these patches is that you grow accustomed to how the game behaves and all of it's intricacies, then it completely changes for better or worse when there's an update. Things you liked may be removed & things you don't like may be added.

It's very hard to get settled playing something that has its own mechanics altered on a regular basis. Things you trained your mind & muscle memory for suddenly go out of the window when the game feel & movement is altered.

I'm strongly considering just sticking to Vanilla the entire year & editing everything myself. At least I know where I stand with that version and know it can't ever be altered.

A question to the PES PS4 players:
I play on PC and as far as I understand on PS4 it is possible to get back to version 1.0, right (because on PC it's not possible unfortunately!)? So how do you do that and are you still able to apply an option file after going back to 1.0? I have in mind that someone claimed that it's not possible to implemenet an option file after going back to version 1.0 but I don't get why.
Because if it's possible to revert to version 1.0 on PS4 and still be able to implement an option file I would maybe buy the game on PS4 too!:))
I think there is a method to revert to 1.0 on pc
just try to delete dpfilelist.bin and then try to play the game
it should remove all dlc and somehow the gameplay would also be affected which I believe is the 1.0 gameplay

Back
Top Bottom