eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

That's hyperbolic nonsense/severely rose-tinted nostalgia. It certainly did not. Versions on the PS2, I'd know where the shot was going and if I'd score before I'd even released the shot button it was so on rails in comparison to this version.
It's not hyperbolic at all. Load up WE9LE/PES5 and play training mode, with the feature to press Select to retry the same shots. You get huge variation in dip/swerve on volleys especially. Without making my own video I just found this on Youtube.

This combination of dip and swerve just cannot happen in 2020. Nothing swerves in 2020 except basic R2 shots that move more like a frisbee than a football.

There were rising shots/dipping shots without artificial player traits, swerve on volleys/first time shots, many more scuffed/skied shots etc. Better free kick mechanics too (i.e. not a guaranteed goal every time).

We have nicer and more varied animations now, but the shooting mechanics are dreadful in comparison.

Last edited:
At least me personally, every time i played football and made fake-pass-shots, the kadt thing i wanted , was someone fall on me.

That's hyperbolic nonsense/severely rose-tinted nostalgia. It certainly did not. Versions on the PS2, I'd know where the shot was going and if I'd score before I'd even released the shot button it was so on rails in comparison to this version.
Nostalgia has nothing to do with it, the default setting shot of the Ps2 games had waaay more nuances than the basic one of the new era, it's a fact. In 2020 shooting it's kinda saved from the fact this year the difference from bad and good shooters is more marked than usual, but to me for a number of reasons (gk too op, less variations, less control) it is the worse fundamental by far of the game by far. Luckily most of the rest is damn good that I don't find it game breaking.

EDIT Sorry for the typos.. serious lack of quality sleep.

Last edited:
At least me personally, every time i played football and made fake-pass-shots, the kadt thing i wanted , was someone fall on me.

Did you play against decent players? Because any decent player won't react to your fake shot. As defenders your told to react to the movement of the ball.

It worked 100%. The monent you did it the opponent wss imobolised 100%. By making the opponent foul you, i wouldn't call it fake shoot , i would call it , manually trigger the malicia player skill.

Except for this , think about it with football philosophy and human reason in a real life situation. When you play football, you make tricks and feints to distract the opponent, not to make him kick your legs. It is against the human nature.

Tricks are NOT just a distraction. Tricks have one goal only; to gain an advantage. If that advantage is the space needed for a shot, to gain a foul in a dangerous position or even just to make your opponent take an extra quarter-second to commit as they aren't sure what you might do. Learning to take a kick or too is part of playing football well. You might even deliberate do it to a single defender as you think you might get him carded into being more conservative or even sent off. Human nature in any competition is all about doing what you can to win. You win by taking advantage of ever situation. This is what tricks are for.

This is why C.Ronaldo wasn't entirely successful when he first join Man Utd. He played out wide, tried too many tricks and did not get enough end product. He often wasn't doing tricks when there would be an advantage. For example he'd take on the fullback and trick past him and swing the ball in only to find that he hadn't checked to make sure he had an attacker in the box. When he learned to look around him and sometimes just wait with the ball and not do a 'trick' until he could gain a real advantage; that was when he started being very effective.

It's not hyperbolic at all. Load up WE9LE/PES5 and play training mode, with the feature to press Select to retry the same shots. You get huge variation in dip/swerve on volleys especially. Without making my own video I just found this on Youtube.

This combination of dip and swerve just cannot happen in 2020. Nothing swerves in 2020 except basic R2 shots that move more like a frisbee than a football.

There were rising shots/dipping shots without artificial player traits, swerve on volleys/first time shots, many more scuffed/skied shots etc. Better free kick mechanics too (i.e. not a guaranteed goal every time).

We have nicer and more varied animations now, but the shooting mechanics are dreadful in comparison.

I'm sorry, but I fail to understand what this video shows? I'm sorry you haven't seen the ball move like that or a player take a shot like that yet? They do happen in this version. It's just rare (how many shots like your video do you see in a season across the entire world?) I've seen volleys like that in this version. It just didn't 'work out', usually because the player wasn't good enough to have a high chance of success. I've see sliced miss-kick shots on the volley, passes where my player jumped and kicked it over his shoulder from behind with the back of his heel and I've seen player volley the ball into the floor for a weird bouncing shot that went over the bar.

In PES 6, if you re-kicked that ball ten times, your volley would ONLY vary in flight based on the skill of the player. You do that same shot with Classic Pele and he'd hit it the exact same way and end up with that same goal each time. In 2020 (and not for a fair few year) you get a lot more actual variation.

Nostalgia has nothing to do with it, the default setting shot of the Ps2 games had waaay more nuances than the basic one of the new era, it's a fact. In 2020 shooting it's kinda saved from the fact this year the difference from bad and good shooters is more marked than usual, but to me for a number of reasons (gk too op, less variations, less control) it is the worse fundamental by far of the game by far. Luckily most of the rest is damn good that I don't find it game breaking.

You have huge nuance in this version, not mentioning the fact that you have far more control over shots than before if you pick manual shooting or advanced (which I haven't used in anger yet). Even on basic, I can pick which of the four corners of the goal I want to hit and how (placed, curved, chipped, driven, on the sprint, off-balance early, standing, knocked in front for the classic run-up). There are great historic version of PES that I truly loved. But it's incredibly rare that I even want to go back even a single years version, let alone 15 and if you really did go back and play them side by side (any old version really), you'd see that the nuance you remember is either the same or likely better in the current version.

Very strange. I downloaded the update and installed it without any issue. Says data pack 1.02 in-game but I double checked and do not have any of the new content that's supposed to be in. Anyone else facing this issue?

I've seen volleys like that in this version.
giphy.gif

Video evidence please, from behind the shot so you can see the swerve.

In hundreds of matches all of my manual shots have been almost dead straight, no swerved ones. Even if they do magically exist for you, they surely don't happen often enough.

giphy.gif

In hundreds of matches all of my manual shots have been almost dead straight, no swerved ones. Even if they do magically exist for you, they surely don't happen often enough.
...asking for 'proof' again :SHAKE:. If you don't believe me, it's no skin off my nose. This is a low reward hard to pull off manoeuvre so I'm not going to spend time trying to recreate the situation just to prove you wrong. You say they don't happen often enough, but I'm sorry you're being highly unrealistic. These are a rare amazing strike. If they happen often they simply wouldn't be special and there's a reason pros don't often attempt them (as they usually end up slicing them for a throw-in and looking silly).

This combination of dip and swerve just cannot happen in 2020. Nothing swerves in 2020 except basic R2 shots that move more like a frisbee than a football..

I scored a volley not dissimilar to that last night on version 1.03 with Luke Shaw of all people, dipped and swerved viciously, keeper just watched it..

I don't think it's any different - shooting has always been poor even in the demo and what I've seen of 1.0. Never seen any laces shots with significant swerve or realistic looking scuffs. Occasionally volleys will go way over the bar from certain animations but even that can be avoided with a quick enough tap of the shoot button.

The PS2 versions had more variation almost 15 years ago.
Couldn't agree more. The old engine PES used on the PS2 had better shooting than the Fox Engine created almost a decade later... what is with that?!!

...asking for 'proof' again :SHAKE:. If you don't believe me, it's no skin off my nose. This is a low reward hard to pull off manoeuvre so I'm not going to spend time trying to recreate the situation just to prove you wrong. You say they don't happen often enough, but I'm sorry you're being highly unrealistic. These are a rare amazing strike. If they happen often they simply wouldn't be special and there's a reason pros don't often attempt them (as they usually end up slicing them for a throw-in and looking silly).
Without being able to ask for proof, anyone can spout any old nonsense without reply.

It's not that hard to set up (training mode), and neither is it rare. You see players hit across the ball to swerve it all the time in real life, especially when aiming for the far corner on easier chances than that. The point isn't about wanting GOTY incredible strikes all the time, it's that I want more variation in ball trajectory, even when they fail. 2020 has less variation than the PS2 in this regard.

Without being able to ask for proof, anyone can spout any old nonsense without reply.

It's not that hard to set up (training mode), and neither is it rare. You see players hit across the ball to swerve it all the time in real life, especially when aiming for the far corner on easier chances than that. The point isn't about wanting GOTY incredible strikes all the time, it's that I want more variation in ball trajectory, even when they fail. 2020 has less variation than the PS2 in this regard.

People don't need ANY proof to share their opinion.

You care about 'proof', I don't, so it's more effort than I care to put in. Your beliefs of my experience hold little importance to me. The fact you've not given equal 'proof' doesn't help either. If you really care about it; you go on both games do the same drill 10 times and post your results. Otherwise just accept that others believe 2020 has more variation than PS2 and move on.

I just feel sorry for you if you've not seen this variation in PES 2020 as over 5 seasons of ML I've seen plenty of variation.

Pace of the game, with the latest patch is definitely tad faster and the ball is little bit more free. Don't like that it's speed up but they will be making another change at the end of the month in any case. As for shots, they also increased power to the shots 100% as that was the first thing I noticed.

Of topic for second, but can any of you guys let me know where can I get full list of controls for new PES outside of game? Like in a PDF file or any text file. Sorry and thank you!

giphy.gif

Prove you have played hundreds of matches and never seen a goal like this?

Ok so I've played about 20 games today and all I can say is that the game still produces moments of pure joy and magical football which is superb, but on the flipside there are moments I just want to cry because it frustrates the life out of me. I've highlighted the pros and cons I've noticed after playing, some people may of noticed the same issue some might not.

Pros and cons of patch 1.03

Pros
1. Physicality evident players jostle when on the ball and push off other players
2. R3 stick works better more fluid for skill moves
3. Responsiveness of player movement seems more free
4. Ball feels a lot more looser and free
5. More fouls being given

Cons
1. Player switching is horrendous
2. CPU still guesses which way you go when trying to dribble past them
3. Shooting is just too straight always goes to the keeper
4. Manual shots feel like a balloon at time flying over the crossbar
5. Players keep colliding with each other and getting in each others way
6. Finesse shot animation is hit and miss not like previous patches
7. Game feels a bit too fast and hectic
8. Players feel to lightweight.
9. Defenders are like crazied animals and don't stop till the get the ball back
10. Animations sometimes can be jerky and dont look as realistic/smooth as other patches I've played.
11. Players dont react to loose balls
12. Player catch up still there.

Very strange. I downloaded the update and installed it without any issue. Says data pack 1.02 in-game but I double checked and do not have any of the new content that's supposed to be in. Anyone else facing this issue?

My data pack is 1.02 and version is 1.01.02 or something weird like that. The fabled number 1.03 number only exists in the install notification menu of the console. I haven't really checked for new content, is there a list of it somewhere?

Nothing swerves in 2020 except basic R2 shots that move more like a frisbee than a football.

Spot on!

Konami should aim to way way way better ball physics next year. The ball must behave more unpredictable despite who shots or his stats or cards or whatever. Any football player can kick a ball with fierce.

Goalkeepers reactions, animations and dives must be remade from the scratch too. Goal size is huge but sometimes still feels like Fifa 98 when you shot at it.

Ok so I've played about 20 games today and all I can say is that the game still produces moments of pure joy and magical football which is superb, but on the flipside there are moments I just want to cry because it frustrates the life out of me. I've highlighted the pros and cons I've noticed after playing, some people may of noticed the same issue some might not.

Pros
1. Physicality evident players jostle when on the ball and push off other players

Cons
10. Animations sometimes can be jerky and dont look as realistic/smooth as other patches I've played.

The points in bold really confuse me. In the new patch dribbling is really easy. You can go past defenders doing a basic side step and there is absolutely no catch up situation. Once I'm away I'm completely away.

Shooting is the same as its been since the demo.

The game only becomes chaotic late in the match or if one team has that stupid deep defensive line on. Make sure that is off.

If you hold r2 your player will fight for the ball and keep it even when the ai is pressuring.[/QUOTE]

My data pack is 1.02 and version is 1.01.02 or something weird like that. The fabled number 1.03 number only exists in the install notification menu of the console. I haven't really checked for new content, is there a list of it somewhere?
There are supposed to be several cosmetic changes. Some new faces, boots and updated kits. An easy way to check is to see if Vidal has tattoos on his arms, as they added those as well.

I have thought the same, I put it down to oldness and tiredness at night while being more fresh early on.

By the way i recognise your name from WENB right? You and that other guy used to terrorize that place a few years ago haha cant remember his name now? Vignal was it something like that? Used to go on about how amazing his brother was at Fifa. He was brutal.

I gave reasoned, fact-based feedback to gameplay issues, which were a lot more in the days of PES 2016/2017 than today. A little too much than some guys could take.

Ok let me explain

You can try to go past players yes but even trying to side step the CPU still knows and takes the ball.

The shooting is not the same because if you play on manual the ball does not swerve but heads straight and either goes over the bar or straight at the keeper.

Player catch up is there. When you get past a player and start to dribble they can catch you up when you are already running onto a ball they won't. Not saying you are wrong just pointing out what I've noticed in game.

If you have the ball and a defender approaches you when you shield the ball R2 he will keep pressing until you either go all the way back to your goal or until they get the ball of you.

The game to me does feel a bit hectic maybe that's because it's either speed up or due to player responsiveness I dont know.

Again just my thoughts on what I see when playing

There are supposed to be several cosmetic changes. Some new faces, boots and updated kits. An easy way to check is to see if Vidal has tattoos on his arms, as they added those as well.

Yeah no arm tatoos here either. I can play online, so the patch has to be installed. Not sure what's up.

Did you play against decent players? Because any decent player won't react to your fake shot. As defenders your told to react to the movement of the ball.
No i was amateur. I played only against amateurs and semi-pros.
But your post agrees 50% with me. The meaning of fake-trick is not to make the defender kick you or bodyslam you.
For the part about what defenders are told to do, yes i agree but between theory and execution there is often some distance. Even pro players react to "fakes"

Last edited:

Pros

Cons
Wich difficulty do you play?

Nobody knows what you're talking about, how about you try to explain rather than insulting everyone?

I guess you'll tell me I already understand, when I clearly don't...
Dude. And @PRO_TOO too!Do not engage guys.
He is just a very old-school troll back from 2001. Don't feed him.
Thought they came to extinction, but there must be a time'machine back in the 00's.

I feel like they speed up a little bit the cursor speed change. The CPU decision making is still bad when switching with L1, but i feel it passes by faster to the next player and cover the gaps.
Is this the case or i just became better in defence and it us a placebo?

Back
Top Bottom