eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

Screen-Shot-2016-12-12-at-07.07.58-550x238.png

Regarding game speed, my perception of game speed is always down to the time of day. In the evening/night the game always feels lightning fast, in the morning or during day i am even tempted to put game speed up.

I did so many double checks with the demo and the experience is 1:1, so hidden updates can't be the reason. It really seems to be a constitution thing for me.

By the way, i compared post patch gameplay to the demo and the main variables (ball speed, player speed) seem to be untouched. CPU pressure seems to be the decisive factor the make things more frantic, which is clearly the better alternative to passive AI behaviour in my eyes.

I have thought the same, I put it down to oldness and tiredness at night while being more fresh early on.

By the way i recognise your name from WENB right? You and that other guy used to terrorize that place a few years ago haha cant remember his name now? Vignal was it something like that? Used to go on about how amazing his brother was at Fifa. He was brutal.

I did a European Cup trial with Belgium, at superstar..

Ball feels more free and team positioning better, although sometimes you still have mighty distances from defences and midfields.. especially late in the games where tactics needs to switch.

I had three very enjoyable games in the group, passed as the best third and beaten Portugal 4-1, where they opened themselves up for a lot of couters after I took the lead in the 2nd half.. will procede later.. also experienced a lot of small, very good football moments, but used to also happen before so whatever.

However, I'm not sure if it's all our dear friend placebo or not.. there could be some japanese guy somewhere in Konami reading all this stuff and laughing his ass off..

I am liking the patch very much myself and I corroborate your observations. Also as others have said, the cpu will carry more the ball at their foot like a human would do, resulting in less pass pass play by the cpu and realistic passes numbers (at least on par with the user). I would be curious to see others poeple passing numbers stats and their cpu dribbling distance stats. It is also easier to press the cpu and it now results in contextual errors of the where before they would simply escape your trap with few one touches passes. It is easier but not OP since the cpu can escape traps with smart moves so there is a risk/reward element to that. Sometime the shielding animation for the cpu seems OP and unrealistic (can see why some say it is wwe) but if you come with a second player you have higher chance to get the ball back.
Closing the cpu down before a shot also results in contextual errors, I have seen a cpu player urging is shot because I was coming to close him down and he slided while taking his shot, resulting in a very powerless shot and an easy cach for my keaper.
On the cons I would say that fouls number can be inconsistent (referee specific?) and GK sometime feels more glued to their lines on through balls (including over the top).

It can't be placebo really, just the cpu passing stats speaks for it.

So far I am really liking this.

Last edited:
Shooting (which this year is generally far from great, must be said) feels exactly the same as before to me, by the way.

I am liking the patch very much myself and I corroborate your observations. Also as others have said, the cpu will carry more the ball at their foot like a human would do, resulting in less pass pass play by the cpu and realistic passes numbers (at least on par with the user). I would be curious to see others poeple passing numbers stats and their cpu dribbling distance stats. It is also easier to press the cpu and it now results in contextual errors of the where before they would simply escape your trap with few one touches passes. It is easier but not OP since the cpu can escape traps with smart moves so there is a risk/reward element to that. Sometime the shielding animation for the cpu seems OP and unrealistic (can see why some they it is wwe) but if you come with a second player you have higher chance to get the ball back.
Closing the cpu down before a shot also results in contextual errors, I have seen a cpu player urging is shot because I was coming to close him down and he slided while taking his shot, resulting in a very powerless shot and an easy cach for my keaper.
On the cons I would say that fouls number can be inconsistent (referee specific?) and GK sometime feels more glued to their lines on through balls (including over the top).

It can't be placebo really, just the cpu passing stats speaks for it.

So far I am really liking this.

Yeah, I played (and won on penalties) the quarter finals of my Euro tournament against Spain and I agree with most of what you said, AI seems a bit more human, I scored the draw goal in the last minute by pressing the cpu and making it lose ball. Luckily I've not seen keepers errors until now. I'm really enjoying it as well but I was liking a lot the game even before so..

One nice random thing I saw (which I think I've never saw in a Pes recently, anybody feel free to correct me) was Courtois going for a block on a long shot only to change his mind last second and go for an open hands save. Will maybe up it with other stuff later.

To all who felt I was right or who saw it the same but chose to withhold it for whatever cowardish group dynamic reason. I don't care to get anything of course, I care to get what I should deserve, what is naturally there and I know that some people felt the same but withheld it. It seems like no big deal but this is not the first time cause I got good intuition and I say it as it is and then people are not giving me credit. That's just not right. (And if a moderator cencors it, then the karma goes to him. I'm just saying bc there is no reason for that and I don't say that anyone wanted to do so)

Last edited:
I think there is a method to revert to 1.0 on pc
just try to delete dpfilelist.bin and then try to play the game
it should remove all dlc and somehow the gameplay would also be affected which I believe is the 1.0 gameplay
Nah, I think that's not right. After a update/patch from Konami there are not just those cpk update files in the dpfilelist.bin which are new. Alot of other files usaly get updated/modificated - even the exe file has a new modification date after an update.

There IS a method on PC and it works!
I have been playing with it, and it felt a lot better than the patched version.
It was the 1.0 one.

Played the update and it´s okay...there are misplaced passes....shots are sharper...Ai is challenging but leaves spaces....it´s fun to play.

BUT:
I had my LB totally exhausted....literally an empty stamina bar.
With 1.0 I had him tumble a bit when I tried to make him sprint...he wasn´t as fast anymore as he used to be with a full stamina bar.
This is gone now.
It´s just the bar that goes low, but it doesn´t have an effect on the player´s behaviour...

Is there anybody who think it's worse than 1.02?

So far, I enjoyed 1.02 better than this patch. I welcome the loose ball physics, however the speedy gonzales pace and weightlessness of players took away the realism for me. In 1.02 the players had more weight according to their physique.

In this version, the pace and player movement has been altered a bit too much in my humble opinion. I believe konami are using this "minor gameplay adjustments" as a beta test for us to try and provide feedback on at the moment.

This worries me.

BUT:
With 1.0 I had him tumble a bit when I tried to make him sprint...he wasn´t as fast anymore as he used to be with a full stamina bar.
This is gone now.
It´s just the bar that goes low, but it doesn´t have an effect on the player´s behaviour...

I'm quite sure I still see players heavily affected by low stamina. Will record something next session if that's the case.

By the way I've just played with Belgium and I assure you that Mertens at the beginning of the game and Mertens at the end of the extra time were quite different players in this terms.

To all who felt I was right or who saw it the same but chose to withhold it for whatever cowardish group dynamic reason. I don't care to get anything of course, I care to get what I should deserve, what is naturally there and I know that some people felt the same but withheld it. It seems like no big deal but this is not the first time cause I got good intuition and I say it as it is and then people are not giving me credit. That's just not right. (And if a moderator cencors it, then the karma goes to him. I'm just saying bc there is no reason for that and I don't say that anyone wanted to do so)
??:CONF::BLINK::SHOCK: I didn't understand anything.

@Negatrev pardon me for the intervention, but in your videos 1 & 3 it is not how fake shot is supposed to work. It is just the CPU that fouls you, or not even take a foul from the referee. That happens to us too. Your second video only shows how the CPU is tricked by the fake.

Last edited:
So far, I enjoyed 1.02 better than this patch. I welcome the loose ball physics, however the speedy gonzales pace and weightlessness of players took away the realism for me. In 1.02 the players had more weight according to their physique.

In this version, the pace and player movement has been altered a bit too much in my humble opinion. I believe konami are using this "minor gameplay adjustments" as a beta test for us to try and provide feedback on at the moment.

This worries me.

Thank you for writing! I will hold off until more people are giving their opinions then...

Really hates this part of the games. Always waiting.. Always worrying!

Ok so I'm new to this forum but felt after reading a lot of the comments and playing the game on patch 1.0, 1.2 and now 1.3 thought I should share my experience after the new patch.

The game has definitely changed from the last patch (which I finally got used to and really only needed tweaking), it is quicker, player responsiveness is better when using the R3 stick and doing a quick body feint. The ball does also feel looser when playing the game more like the demo version. The player responsiveness to loose balls is a bit hit and miss and the players now seem to bump into each other and get in each others way a bit. Physicality has been improved when jostling with other players however your player still struggles to get past the opposition because the CPU always guesses which way you are going to move. Plus the CPU hunts you down and doez bot give up on trying to get the ball from you (to the point where I've had a player chase me the length of the pitch). Shooting has also changed with shots being straighter which I personally think is a bad move (I play on manual shooting).

Personally I quite liked version 1.0, 1.2 and the demo and thought the game just needed tweaking with the ball being made looser, being able to beat a player and the physicality improved. I just think whatever changes they make to the game with the next patch end of October is not going to please everyone so in my view at some point they need to either stop changing things or just make minor tweaks.

I've played PES since the ISS days and think this is probably the most enjoyable PES to date it just needs tweaking here and there and then to be left alone. I only play offline matches which is what this review is based on.

The problem with these patches is that you grow accustomed to how the game behaves and all of it's intricacies, then it completely changes for better or worse when there's an update. Things you liked may be removed & things you don't like may be added.

It's very hard to get settled playing something that has its own mechanics altered on a regular basis. Things you trained your mind & muscle memory for suddenly go out of the window when the game feel & movement is altered.

I'm strongly considering just sticking to Vanilla the entire year & editing everything myself. At least I know where I stand with that version and know it can't ever be altered.

Yes. Which is why the digital guys are not out of the woods yet - it could change - and why disc still has more value (IMO) UNLESS konami "improve" things further digitally.

??:CONF::BLINK::SHOCK: I didn't understand anything.

@Negatrev pardon me for the intervention, but in you videos 1 & 3 it is not how fake shot is supposed to work. It is just the CPU that fouls you, or not even take a foul ftom the referee. That happens to us too. Your second video only shows how the CPU is tricked by the fake.

What on earth do you mean by that? Only the last was me using shot-fake out of context to my advantage (as I know my player will put his foot between the tackler and the ball and gain the foul). The first is me making a shot fake which fools the defender as he is attempting to tackle as I shoot and I move the ball away. This isn't every instance of me successfully using the shot fake, but just 3 different ways it 'works'. In answer to someone saying it wasn't working for them. What would be the point of me showing 3 different videos of the same thing?

For me shot-fake does work and in various different situations. I haven't had an instance where shot-fake makes more sense than a curved shot or a chip whilst one-on-one with the keeper, but I might perhaps get a shot-fake work on the keeper eventually (not going to 'force it' though).

Do I think this update is better than the previous patches, well apart from the ball feeling looser and the improved physicality I would say no.

If you play on version 1.0 or 1.2 I would recommend not updating to the new patch. Wait till the end of the month and hope they get the next patch right.

What on earth do you mean by that?
He probably means that only second clip is somewhat viable example. In all others AI does not fall for your fake shot, they dont react, they dont attempt to block your shot, they simply continuing to tackle you as if you did nothing. Thats not how fake shot should work. Fake shot should trick the opponent, make him react. That doesnt happen in clip 1 or 3. Even in your second clip AI did not react. He simply froze, which can be down to the overall lack of awareness issue.

Edit:
as for the patch I did have my fair amount of matches last night.
I do not see the faster pace and problem with the goalkeepers. Im not saying they are not there, but I did not see any of that last night. And I did focus on them after reading your comments.
I play on manual and conservative defending. I dont put a lot of pressure on AI and I choose carefully when to do that. On manual I also tend not to ping pong much. So overall responsiveness (if tweaked) would not be as visible to me as it is to others. Lazio was the only team that played fast football. But not laser ping pong passing. They just played really good and I lost 0:2 - fair and square.
Also did not notice shots being much different. Again - im on manual, so cant really comment on other settings

Last edited:
What on earth do you mean by that? Only the last was me using shot-fake out of context to my advantage (as I know my player will put his foot between the tackler and the ball and gain the foul). The first is me making a shot fake which fools the defender as he is attempting to tackle as I shoot and I move the ball away. This isn't every instance of me successfully using the shot fake, but just 3 different ways it 'works'. In answer to someone saying it wasn't working for them. What would be the point of me showing 3 different videos of the same thing?

For me shot-fake does work and in various different situations. I haven't had an instance where shot-fake makes more sense than a curved shot or a chip whilst one-on-one with the keeper, but I might perhaps get a shot-fake work on the keeper eventually (not going to 'force it' though).
In your 2nd video the fake shot works properly, you make the fake, the cpu tries to block your shoot, it buys the fake and then you change direction and shot. If you notice the 2 cpu defenders when you shot, slide tackle to the trajectory of the ball.

In your 1st and 3rd video the CPU did not buy your fake. Thats why they fouled you.They didnt try to block your shooting trajectory, they tried to smacked you down. If you are not at least lucky to receive a free kick, which happens often cause of the broken referee, you can easily conclude that they don't work.

EDIT: My translator :P :P @Emroth got my thought! I mean 100% what he said!

Last edited:
There IS a method on PC and it works!
I have been playing with it, and it felt a lot better than the patched version.
It was the 1.0 one.

Played the update and it´s okay...there are misplaced passes....shots are sharper...Ai is challenging but leaves spaces....it´s fun to play.

BUT:
This is gone now.

Thats literally not true. Players struggle to run, pull up with injuries and run slowly if stamina is low on the latest patch.

In your 2nd video the fake shot works properly, you make the fake, the cpu tries to block your shoot, it buys the fake amd them you change direction and shot. If you notice the 2 cpu defenders when you shot, slide tackle to the trajectory of rhe ball.

In your 1st and 3rd video the CPU did not buy your fake. Thats why they fouled you.They didnt try to block your shooting trajectory, they tried to smacked you down. If you are not at least lucky to receive a free kick, which happens often cause of the broken referee, you can easily conclude that they don't work.

To be honest shot fake is working perfectly fine. I don't want defenders falling over themselves when I shot fake every time. But if I time it right i send defenders to the fall. It works perfectly fine.

I like the new update the problem is dribbling is just too easy. Those people who wanted to easily blast past defenders just using speed and walk past the defenders you have got your wish its demo levels of easy. Thank god they didn't drop the ai aggressiveness as it would have killed the game for me.

Back to 1.3 after going back to 1.0
1.3 has somewhat address Joed AI physicality in terms of bouncing off them, its more equal now.
Also seeing more scuff shots and scuff passes.
AI feels tougher in attack so gone to advanced shooting
I like it now, probably tied

In your 2nd video the fake shot works properly, you make the fake, the cpu tries to block your shoot, it buys the fake amd them you change direction and shot. If you notice the 2 cpu defenders when you shot, slide tackle to the trajectory of rhe ball.

Okay, your measure of 'work' is very different from mine. They all 'worked' they all achieved what I wanted from the situation. I either go the shot away or gained a free-kick (scored from both by the way). That's a decent measure of success for me.

By your definition, you'd say this one worked. For me it did not as after the second I ran into trouble and lost the ball.

"Shots are more direct & more powerful."... Jesus Christ they didn't NEED to be! More straightlined laser guided goals to be scored then. Meh.
I don't think it's any different - shooting has always been poor even in the demo and what I've seen of 1.0. Never seen any laces shots with significant swerve or realistic looking scuffs. Occasionally volleys will go way over the bar from certain animations but even that can be avoided with a quick enough tap of the shoot button.

The PS2 versions had more variation almost 15 years ago.

I'm quite sure I still see players heavily affected by low stamina. Will record something next session if that's the case.

By the way I've just played with Belgium and I assure you that Mertens at the beginning of the game and Mertens at the end of the extra time were quite different players in this terms.

Definitely, I had Zaniolo burned at the end of my ML game against Milan. He couldn't run to follow the attack.

Thats literally not true. Players struggle to run, pull up with injuries and run slowly if stamina is low on the latest patch.

They also miss-control the ball far more, miss-kick more often (the thing that happens if you pass/shoot off-balance) and your accuracy and power of passes and shots is more erratic (usually weaker than normal). They also struggle more in a strength contest.

I don't think it's any different - shooting has always been poor even in the demo and what I've seen of 1.0. Never seen any laces shots with significant swerve or realistic looking scuffs. Occasionally volleys will go way over the bar from certain animations but even that can be avoided with a quick enough tap of the shoot button.

The PS2 versions had more variation almost 15 years ago.
That's hyperbolic nonsense/severely rose-tinted nostalgia. It certainly did not. Versions on the PS2, I'd know where the shot was going and if I'd score before I'd even released the shot button it was so on rails in comparison to this version.

Okay, your measure of 'work' is very different from mine. They all 'worked' they all achieved what I wanted from the situation. I either go the shot away or gained a free-kick (scored from both by the way). That's a decent measure of success for me.

By your definition, you'd say this one worked. For me it did not as after the second I ran into trouble and lost the ball.
It worked 100%. The monent you did it the opponent wss imobolised 100%. By making the opponent foul you, i wouldn't call it fake shoot , i would call it , manually trigger the malicia player skill.

Except for this , think about it with football philosophy and human reason in a real life situation. When you play football, you make tricks and feints to distract the opponent, not to make him kick your legs. It is against the human nature.

Back to 1.3 after going back to 1.0
1.3 has somewhat address Joed AI physicality in terms of bouncing off them, its more equal now.
Also seeing more scuff shots and scuff passes.
AI feels tougher in attack so gone to advanced shooting
I like it now, probably tied
How to go back to 1.0 on PS4? Just reinstall and cut off internet connection?
Are you still able to install a option file??

Back
Top Bottom