eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

Been a while since i've posted here, I've got the game at last. I've been enjoying it for the most part although being as it's so long since i played the demo, It's maybe for the better that i can't remember the what made it so superior although i definitely remember the fouls being better balanced in the demo than the full game.

I still feel like i'm wrestling with the player selection when picking the defender i want when i'm trying to defend a dangerous attack but it's a bloody pleasure being able to play 20 minute matches on manual and not feel like i'm being rushed out the door for the next guests to arrive or something.

Had a quick go online, Played about 3 PSG wankers in a row who spammed pressing and depended on their PA3 crutch so i noped out of there and back to exhibition. I can think i can happily live never playing this online again and finding out what's over the other side of that myClub hill as long as i live. Yikes.

So there's a patch and datapack today but they've confirmed they haven't been able to address the super cancel bug so props for the transparency, That's an improvement from the devs. What is this super cancel issue i hear of, can anyone explain please? (Been out the loop since launch.)

I am so hoping that what you guys are saying is true - that there is less space between the defence-midfield-attack lines. It breaks my heart when I play against a team with "deep defensive" as their advanced tactic. It looks awful.

Do it every year..yes.. but this year feels very different in the way Konami is responding to its fans. Definitely more transparent. And with 2 patches out in first month..wow.. im happy about this.
Two patches, the first of which made the gameplay 10x worse (in many areas) and this one doesn't seem to have significant changes just going from the announcement.

The main changes they listed were a fix to a crash I've not seen anyone report, and kits for 4 teams. Doesn't exactly sound like a month's worth of work.

Now it's going to be ~3 weeks before the next one...

This is just one of those moments of footy realism that you get in a PES game.

Picture the scene, I’m 1 nil up against Juve in the final of a weekly competition and they’re playing attacking tactics and a pushed forward back line in order to get back in the game. This naturally puts me into counter attack state.

When I break the play I look for my target man Ieancho who holds the ball up waiting for the counter (This is where we join in the vid).

He’s spots the run of Stoch so lofts a ball into the box for him to run into.

The defender struggling to track back has a decision, try to head the dropping ball back into play or track the run of Stoch and make it difficult for him. A moment of indecision forces him to try to header the ball clear but he’s left it that late that he can only head back not forward and struggles and stumbles in the process leaving Stoch to continue his run and smash the half volley with his right foot into the net from a great angle.

Now it’s not the holdup play or the truly magnificent strike which puts a smile on the face, it’s the struggled header and the stumble of the defender which opens up the play. This is the sort of thing which happens in games of PES that makes it great.

Wow, that was awesome! And I agree. These are absolutely the kind of moments that makes PES so special and so damn addictive!

I´m happy with the fouls right now. Not super happy, but satisfied. I do get fouls, I get yellow cards and red cards ocasionally from the CPU. Freekicks are a bit overpowered, yes. All the rest, I can live with. Game is probably very balanced this way, and I hope they won´t mess this any more. Reverting to 1.0 doesn´t make sense in my opinion, because they will screw up for sure. Maybe some slight adjustments for 1.3 but that´s it. This is miles better than any other titles from the current and past generation.

Totally agree. I know it’s an unpopular opinion around here, but I’m perfectly happy with the fouls in this game. I’ve always found them to be fair and sufficiently random in a few cases in order to make it interesting. Just last night I was awarded two freekicks on the edge of the box, both resulting in a yellow card for the CPU player. And this was in ML albeit on professional.

But being the rubbish free kick taker that I am, I missed both shots...

Probably less relevant now that they have patched again.
But here's a couple more videos of moments I enjoyed on the 'stealth patch' from last week.

This is just the post match replay of the above (as I liked the angles it cut to)

Player responsiveness is my biggest bugbear with this game. If that has improved with this patch I will certainly be happy, especially with a looser ball.

Player responsiveness is my biggest bugbear with this game. If that has improved with this patch I will certainly be happy, especially with a looser ball.
I'm really struggling to get past the responsiveness. So frustrating when two players are moving towards the same ball, collide, stagger in opposite directions and then just stand up straight for half a second before moving back towards the ball - just one example.

Trying to dribble yesterday, it's really frustrating to get a knock on the way and stop dead while the ball is still free if you'd just KEEP RUNNING. Get there and you could score. Fall over and it's a foul. But to just get "stunned" and give up possession... No, I just can't deal with that.

It's the one thing really holding me back from loving the game.

I'm really struggling to get past the responsiveness. So frustrating when two players are moving towards the same ball, collide, stagger in opposite directions and then just stand up straight for half a second before moving back towards the ball - just one example.

Definitely that and also when a player is closest to the ball but pretends not to see it

what game mode? Chelsea in league mode on SS were anything but passive I was 1 nil down after 6 mins. Also agree on the responsiveness
It was only exhibition & to be honest I was passing the ball around more than usual, trying to get get a feel of what changed. It definitely leans back to what I would consider a better version of the game. Looking forward to trying out some more later tonight.

Trying to dribble yesterday, it's really frustrating to get a knock on the way and stop dead while the ball is still free if you'd just KEEP RUNNING. Get there and you could score. Fall over and it's a foul. But to just get "stunned" and give up possession... No, I just can't deal with that.

It's the one thing really holding me back from loving the game.

Change your approach to the game.
Defy the urge to have L1 constantly pressed. I tap L1 just to throw the ball in open space and make adjustments with right stick. This reproduces extremely life-like soccer-ish moments.
I press L1 constantly only when sprinting and attacking from wings or when counter attacking.
Generally i use a lot Right stick and handle the ball like i was in a real soccer match.
I try to consider every touch of the ball in the game.
Of course this applies only in offline modes, because online matches is a totally different story, forcing you to play the worst way possible (ping pong run and gun)

Trying to dribble yesterday, it's really frustrating
Yeah, dribbling is quite unresponsive online and very "predictable" offline. AI rarely fall for feints.

Here's a clip to illustrate current dribbling.
So here's me running towards defender, auto feint ON, Im trying to do double touch. Stick one way, direction the other and thats the usual result:
giphy (14).gif

Ps. Free kick for AI.
:LOL:

I played 5-6 matches with new patch on superstar
Little more responsive
No fouls still..
More compact gameplay even they have deep defensive line .. more offsides
Better than 1.02 still not good as vanilla
let's not go to the no fouls, I got 2 this morning and didn't finish a 6 min half

I find exhibition mode a lot more passive in terms of attack and physicality compared to league mode. I can comfortably beat superstar on exhibition in manual but it's challenging in the other modes. I suspect thats why you can't unlock legend mode by winning superstar exhibition games
It was only exhibition & to be honest I was passing the ball around more than usual, trying to get get a feel of what changed. It definitely leans back to what I would consider a better version of the game. Looking forward to trying out some more later tonight.

Change your approach to the game.
Defy the urge to have L1 constantly pressed. I tap L1 just to throw the ball in open space and make adjustments with right stick. This reproduces extremely life-like soccer-ish moments.
I press L1 constantly only when sprinting and attacking from wings or when counter attacking.
Generally i use a lot Right stick and handle the ball like i was in a real soccer match.
I try to consider every touch of the ball in the game.
Of course this applies only in offline modes, because online matches is a totally different story, forcing you to play the worst way possible (ping pong run and gun)

You mean R1 yes? L1 is the kick modifier (chip/one-two) and change player.

It's not true that EA have no fouls in FIFA20. I love PES and have loved playing PES since but lets not start making up things. PES has the more realistic gameplay. Much more logical. They messed up with removing fouls yes but ive played over 20 game on FIFA20 (before returning the game after 3 days). In my very first match against the AI, i was hacked down when clean through on goal. Straight red for the AI although i missed the penalty.

In all the matches i played on FIFA20 there were at least 60 fouls with 7 red cards (for AI and me) and about 22 yellows. Many free kicks and Pens which are crazy hard to score and breaking down a 10 man team was crazy hard. I even lost games against 10 men.

In any case, what i'm saying is PES2020 (i hate the eFootball name), is the most satisfying game of football in decades but the fouls need to come back. It made it a far more tactical game. Its what i loved about the demo (minus the passive Ai on the demo).

I haven't played FIFA20, the wife bought it for me on release day but haven't opened it yet as balls deep in PES ML.
But from having played 14 seasons on FIFA 19 career mode, I can justifiably say that fouls were worst than PES.
Yes if a player commits a professional foul on FIFA, its a Red card, and I had my fair share of FK's and penalties, but overall, the foul count each match was ludicrously low, often 0 or 1 fouls.

Across 14 seasons, amassing over 600 matches, my fouls average per game was 0.3
The main reason was in FIFA the COM was never aggressive enough to make tackles all over the pitch, but when there was a foul, the referee logic was often correct in what it gave.
In PES, the COM is aggressive and makes fouls, but the referee logic/collision detection is so poor that fouls often aren't given no matter how blatant they are.

Yeah, dribbling is quite unresponsive online and very "predictable" offline. AI rarely fall for feints.

Here's a clip to illustrate current dribbling.
So here's me running towards defender, auto feint ON, Im trying to do double touch. Stick one way, direction the other and thats the usual result:
View attachment 21236

Ps. Free kick for AI.
:LOL:

I'm having the exact same problem online and offline and it is driving me mad. Wish they had left the finesse dribble on r2 entirely. Right now I never know whether my player is going to attempt the trick I want or just side step and then run forwards again (which happens 9 times out of 10 and I lose the ball! )

After the update (PC) it seems there are less space between the defensive and midfield lines so the game it a little bit more compact, what i like. If you are able to close the passing lanes well you force the AI to play a little less direct and with a bit more patience.

this is something they said they'd address in one of the facebook posts. hope so. I am actually going to start my ML again just for this to see if it helps stop the cheap pass it to the CF, turn and shoot goals

Shot feints just do NOT work in this game.
I've sought advice, I've tried feinting in different angles, I've tried leaving the feint press until late, trying it early, when running, when not running, tried it a yard from the defender, 3 yards away, 5 yards away, everything, it doesn't matter, every single time the COM just sticks out a leg, reads the feint and tackles me.

Why even bother having a command in the game that simply does nothing.

this is something they said they'd address in one of the facebook posts. hope so. I am actually going to start my ML again just for this to see if it helps stop the cheap pass it to the CF, turn and shoot goals

Unfortunately this is still there an it seems it is the number one attempt for the AI to score. I hope the will fix it with the main patch because it happens all the time in every match and it is really annoying.

Shot feints just do NOT work in this game.
I've sought advice, I've tried feinting in different angles, I've tried leaving the feint press until late, trying it early, when running, when not running, tried it a yard from the defender, 3 yards away, 5 yards away, everything, it doesn't matter, every single time the COM just sticks out a leg, reads the feint and tackles me.

Why even bother having a command in the game that simply does nothing.
Well I don't know for the update today. But they absolutely DO work, it's just they don't work absolutely every time (like they did last year :( ).

Obviously it depends on what difficulty level you are playing (as that changes how much your players might be handicapped and their players boosted) but you can trigger a shot feint for turning the defender or even nutmeg-ing them. It works best with players with a higher Tight Possession stat and fatigue seriously affects the success rate.

EF7HlY8XoAA9YC3

Serie B Ball, its in the file of pc versione, maybe in the next dlc we have full licensed Serie B

Use r2 while dribbling to shield more effectively and turning around like iniesta with a higher quickness.. it is still close dribbling .. u can use r1 and r2 together for a close dribbling sprint ... but due to supercancel bug.. it is not valid all the time

Played 6 games now after update and no noticable gameplay changes so far. On another note i have played 2 master league seasons and about 40 exhibition games and no red cards or penalties which is bizarre as this happened in pes 2019 on release until a patch sorted so fingers crossed a n update sorts this soon

Played 6 games now after update and no noticable gameplay changes so far. On another note i have played 2 master league seasons and about 40 exhibition games and no red cards or penalties which is bizarre as this happened in pes 2019 on release until a patch sorted so fingers crossed a n update sorts this soon

Responsiveness is absolutely noticeable so are the lines between defense and midfield they have clearly made them closer even for teams with deep defensive line.

Dribbling is easier I don't know if that is because of the responsiveness. Or they have dropped the ai down a bit I'm not sure.

Back
Top Bottom