eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

Did you save the replay?!
Yes I did. Have it on my phone. But it's too big to upload on here. When it happened I said out loud that's no way a penalty because a commentator said it's called a penalty. An absolutely ridiculous decision.. I've been playing PES since 1998 so I shouldn't be surprised, as I guess it's quirkiness is something we Kind of Love in a way lol

If I want to ‘train’ a player in Master League and change him from ‘anchor’ to ‘orchestrator’, is it possible?

I’m still not sure if training players works, I’ve never done it in previous PES games.

hey guys looking for some advice, loving game so far a lot of positives but just a few questions

1. Is there a problem with fouls, I seem to get penalised for slightest touch but AI gets away with the exact same and worse such as clear fouls and like tugging player back, really frustrating as seems double standards in most games.

2. What is it with the god like strikers who are technically rubbish but you cant either get ball of them or they just score with every shot, the amount of games in master league the opposition have 2 shots 2 goals my keeper saving nothing yet the AI keeper again not being the best pulling off worldies to deny myself?

I have played PES since ISS days and appreciate the amount of improvement made and I see that but these as starting to ruin the enjoyment off the game for myself and hoping for some advice thanks.

Its okay folks. I played Spurs Bayern exhibition mode and we only lost 2-0. Keep calm. Nothing to see here.
That’s what they said in London last night! :LOL:
Sorry. Couldn’t hold my horses... ;) gotta play that exact match when I wake up.
And no, @its999maggle , you don’t need to comment on that. ;) :LOL:

Did I mention; PES is great again (enough)?! :)

Anyway... I was thinking about a new engine and how it all could work out in the future. Good times ahead, I guess.
Gosh, that vanilla.... :ROCK:

Have a good night, folks!!

Last edited:
If I want to ‘train’ a player in Master League and change him from ‘anchor’ to ‘orchestrator’, is it possible?

I’m still not sure if training players works, I’ve never done it in previous PES games.
Yeah, you can do that. It takes about 3 months to get the new role.
What orangebard said and his playable positions must fit the role you train him. IE: someone who is CF and can play SS/WF you cannot train him as anchorman or destoyer, the options will be grey.

Last edited:
Legend difficulty definitely isn't for me - it's absolutely crazy :LOL: Every team is pressing like mad men, just isn't realistic at all. My first match on Legend was v Burnley and they resembled a Pep Guardiola team pressing like crazy and playing loads of little triangles.

I've got to find a difficulty I enjoy in Master League. I might just experiment with Top Player for a whole season rather than give up on it just because I win the first few games and wonder if it's going to stay easy.

Yeah, I sometimes have a hard time finding the right difficulty as well.

Have you considered going Top Player, Manual passing? Sorry, don't remember if you're already playing PA0... But I'm planning to make that my next move, difficulty wise - although I'm going from Professional PA1 to Professional PA0, but same difference :))

As much as I love offline. Online is completely broken. Konami have messed up the dynamic of the game with the refs and the delay for inputs. Which means spaming and pressuring is the only viable way of playing. They need to adjust the refs.

This is just one of those moments of footy realism that you get in a PES game.

Picture the scene, I’m 1 nil up against Juve in the final of a weekly competition and they’re playing attacking tactics and a pushed forward back line in order to get back in the game. This naturally puts me into counter attack state.

When I break the play I look for my target man Ieancho who holds the ball up waiting for the counter (This is where we join in the vid).

He’s spots the run of Stoch so lofts a ball into the box for him to run into.

The defender struggling to track back has a decision, try to head the dropping ball back into play or track the run of Stoch and make it difficult for him. A moment of indecision forces him to try to header the ball clear but he’s left it that late that he can only head back not forward and struggles and stumbles in the process leaving Stoch to continue his run and smash the half volley with his right foot into the net from a great angle.

Now it’s not the holdup play or the truly magnificent strike which puts a smile on the face, it’s the struggled header and the stumble of the defender which opens up the play. This is the sort of thing which happens in games of PES that makes it great.

Last edited:
Legendary full manual is some crazy shit, it's actually enjoyable is a wierd messed up way even if I lost 2 out of 3 games in my international cup and drew with San Marino. The AI doesn't cheat maybe its a bit strong but it does punish mistakes

Legendary full manual is some crazy shit, it's actually enjoyable is a wierd messed up way even if I lost 2 out of 3 games in my international cup and drew with San Marino. The AI doesn't cheat maybe its a bit strong but it does punish mistakes
Do you ever play ML? Because the CPU definitely talks a lot of BS in that mode.

hey guys looking for some advice, loving game so far a lot of positives but just a few questions

1. Is there a problem with fouls, I seem to get penalised for slightest touch but AI gets away with the exact same and worse such as clear fouls and like tugging player back, really frustrating as seems double standards in most games.

2. What is it with the god like strikers who are technically rubbish but you cant either get ball of them or they just score with every shot, the amount of games in master league the opposition have 2 shots 2 goals my keeper saving nothing yet the AI keeper again not being the best pulling off worldies to deny myself?

I have played PES since ISS days and appreciate the amount of improvement made and I see that but these as starting to ruin the enjoyment off the game for myself and hoping for some advice thanks.

Welcome to PES20 !

1. Yes, there is a problem with fouls, Konami 'tweaked' them after the demo because all the online kids moaned about not being able to pressure spam for 90 mins, so Konami being the snowflakes they are changed it so now you hardly get any fouls but if you sniff near the COM players, you get a foul given against you. It's inherently broken, the referee logic/physicality system is piss poor and Konami have openly stated its what we got, and wont be looked at.

2. What Level you play on? Anything from Top Player and above employs a handicapping of your player stats, and gives a boost to CPU players to increase the challenge.

Konami have openly stated its what we got, and wont be looked at.
Where did they say that?
I've seen few people saying this already and I havent seen them saying it anywhere.
They said that They will not be going to demo gameplay, as it had its own issues.
Which doesnt mean that they wont be looking into something in-between.
There is a lot of people close to Konami who are at the same, or similar opinion to ours. Main issues being
- referees
- overpowered defensive pressure
- dribbling being nerfed too much
Those three things are affecting both offline and online. I really cant see them ignoring this being under pressure from both sides of fans.

Last edited:
Totally agree with what you've wrote about fouls & the worst about referee calls is that i play offline since day1 & NEVER won a penalty. So far cpu got just one.Usualy , when there is a foul(penalty) ,the referee either calls nothing or gives a foul to the opposing side...They have done such a great job in so many areas with so many details & you just wonder after so many years,why they think they should made the game without calling the obvious penalties?? It happens often in a football game.

I play on SS difficulty with FUMA settings with -1 speed.I agree that there is handicap above TP but TP becomes easy if you get used the controls & become more familiar with tatctics.I play ML & more often, Int Cup mode customized with home & away games.

I am not trying to sound preachy but here goes and i dont know your play styles but im regularly getting more fouls than i am giving away now, and the ones i do concede are normally intentional. How I did it
1. Stopped chasing the ai about - i was for ever pressing which meant i was barging in to them in an uncontrolled fashion and giving away lots of freekicks. Now i stand off more and try to time the tackle, i also try to tackle and nip in when the ball is loose when dribbling - it is difficult and it does need practise. I maybe give 1 or 2 freekicks away now - last night on legendary the AI give me 6
2. Not familiar with ML as i dont have time but in all other modes i dont see god like strikers, legendary can be unforgiving at times but they still miss

This is just one of those moments of footy realism that you get in a PES game.

Picture the scene, I’m 1 nil up against Juve in the final of a weekly competition and they’re playing attacking tactics and a pushed forward back line in order to get back in the game. This naturally puts me into counter attack state.

When I break the play I look for my target man Ieancho who holds the ball up waiting for the counter (This is where we join in the vid).

He’s spots the run of Stoch so lofts a ball into the box for him to run into.

The defender struggling to track back has a decision, try to head the dropping ball back into play or track the run of Stoch and make it difficult for him. A moment of indecision forces him to try to header the ball clear but he’s left it that late that he can only head back not forward and struggles and stumbles in the process leaving Stoch to continue his run and smash the half volley with his right foot into the net from a great angle.

Now it’s not the holdup play or the truly magnificent strike which puts a smile on the face, it’s the struggled header and the stumble of the defender which opens up the play. This is the sort of thing which happens in games of PES that makes it great.

That is brilliant. I think one thing that PES 2020 has achieved is that it has brought back the unpredictability of PES.

1.0 is excellent and have not even applied @klashman69's tactics as of yet.
The CPU scoring almost every free kick is a piss take however.
I hope they find the balance in 1.3.

Where did they say that?
I've seen few people saying this already and I havent seen them saying it anywhere.
They said that They will not be going to demo gameplay, as it had its own issues.
Which doesnt mean that they wont be looking into something in-between.
There is a lot of people close to Konami who are at the same, or similar opinion to ours. Main issues being
- referees
- overpowered defensive pressure
- dribbling being nerfed too much
Those three things are affecting both offline and online. I really cant see them ignoring this being under pressure from both sides of fans.

Facebook feedback page, the devs wrote that they changed the fouls system based on user feedback from the demo, that it would be impossible to revert back to the demo because the other bug fixes would be lost, and they stopped short of saying anything further about fouls which pretty much means they do not see it as a priority, and have no further plans to re-tweak fouls.

I'd happily wager a bet with you right now that fouls will not be changed throughout the lifecycle of PES 20.
companies do not want fouls in their games fact.
They make games with the online player, who may spend money, as their prime and only focus.
Online players on the majority do not like stop-start play, they want frantic, end to end non-stop play, fouls impede that.

That's why Konami completely went against their own direction and gave in to feedback and changed them from the demo, its why EA does not put fouls in their game, its all aligned for online play.

It wont be changed, guaranteed.

Apart from foul, I don't really understand what are the bugs konami dev refer in the demo
imo, the problem of foul in vanilla is a much worse bug than the demo
people asked them to tweak foul and somehow they tweaked it worse
but thats it, people didn't ask them to change other things
in fact, many asked them to not change anything from the demo
but the vanilla just made many things worse than the demo

I´m happy with the fouls right now. Not super happy, but satisfied. I do get fouls, I get yellow cards and red cards ocasionally from the CPU. Freekicks are a bit overpowered, yes. All the rest, I can live with. Game is probably very balanced this way, and I hope they won´t mess this any more. Reverting to 1.0 doesn´t make sense in my opinion, because they will screw up for sure. Maybe some slight adjustments for 1.3 but that´s it. This is miles better than any other titles from the current and past generation.

This. Getting tired of constantly hearing that online players are a certain way.
Funny how the demo offline was 5 minutes, so most people spent whole month playing online. As far as I remember - most people were very happy with the game back then. Stupid collisions fouls were there, but not as annoying as against AI. I had one of the best games online during the demo phase, on manual (and I can provide screenshots from my games) where I had average of 3 fouls per game. So I cant really see how online players would not want them to work on fouls, which would bring back some excitement and took spamming X pressure away. Its constant defending pressure going unpunished thats killing online gameplay for a lot of people now.

As it is, offline, Im reasonably happy with fouls on user side. Its the AI side that needs work.
You can say all you want about playing certain way, but there are instances, where AI commits clear fouls, barging you off the ball or tripping in the penalty area and nothing is being given, or its a free kick foe AI. This you cant argue with. there is more than enough examples online.

You can't scout in the way you mean, to add the player to youth academy. You can scout to add him straight to your first squad.
The way youth and regens work is a little bit mystery until now for me. After an age, they expelled ftom the youth team, but i am not sure if they go free or they are re-regenerated as a 16 youth in an other ML club youth team. You can add them to your shortlist and track them down.

I think you have a limit on the numbers in your youth team, but I've not monitored to check who gets bumped. It used to be they left in the year they turn 20, but really not sure this year. It would be nice to get a similar warning to the 1 year contract stuff. Although I generally 'sign' the best youth players I have at 16 and loan out. Although you can't do too many as your squad is limited to 40 players overall I believe.

I think my youth players likely hate me. Any young player, whether in the youth-team or main squad, that has a stats deficiency (in my opinion) gets training to focus on it. But often players have multiple deficiencies. In those cases I change their role (where possible) just to get their stats reshaped a bit. Once they're the right shape, I then set their role to how I want them to play. This often results in lots of defenders being set to Orchestrator or Full-back Finisher (if they have DM/FB as an option) in order to improve their balance a bit. Also often a midfielder set to box-to-box and forward to Dummy Runner, just to focus on their stamina without too much detriment to their relevant stats. You can focus on physical for stamina, but I often don't need them any stronger, just fitter and so like the training shape better.

Last edited:
No, they absolutely do not want that.

They are just forced to play the game like it is.

This. Getting tired of constantly hearing that online players are a certain way.

You are both kidding yourselves.
Maybe there's a demographic of online players that don't want this kind of football, but you're in the minority.
Why else do you think both Konami and EA tailor their game in this way every single year??

I've seen countless posts across twitter and other social media from self confessed 'online only' players that were screaming blue murder because the demo had a fair few fouls in, they all stated that having the game keep stopping for fouls ruined the fun, they are not interested in proper football or the rules, just that players have the right boots, face and tattoos and that they can play non stop without fouls interrupting.

Konami are a business, they cater to the core audience which is online as its what makes them money after the initial sale, they wont do anything to jeapordise that, thats why patches and DP's always have the boots faces and tattoos updated first and foremost, and why they buckle at the merest suggestion that fouls ruin the game and completely revert it from what it was in the demo or 1.00.

Why else would a company leave out a core rule of the sport?

Back
Top Bottom