eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

As another already said, these official rivalries are hardcoded and are really well. In my latest ML in 19 in Rangers-Celtic derby, the CPU made fir first time more than 5 fouls in 10 minutes game and took a straight red card (and it was not for tackling the last attacking player!)

Furthermore the hardcoded rivalries work better than those created by edit mode, cause they used to produce some cut scene pre-game etc. Not sure about this in 20, cause even a fly swinging its wings results in a cutscene! :P

Currently playing a ML with Fiorentina and had a cut scene before the derby against Juve, when the chairman (or whoever) told my manager that we have to win for all costs. He said, that we are in front of them in the league table but we should increase the gap.
A quick look at the table showed that I was 24 points behind. Oh Konami....

For post patch. For enjoyment, dribbling etc.. What difficulty are most people playing?

Normally superstar would be the way to go for me, but i miss the need and urgency of defending in PES2019 a little bit. I am used to a lot of player switching to capture the opponent strikers, while PES2020 is a lot more forgiving. So i see myself switching to legend level soon, although scoring is really hard and rare for me then.

Whoaaaa there Chris! Are you saying you finally had that old Pes feeling of elation after scoring? Must be a first after how many years of saying scoring was emotionless. Lol
I said in a different thread last night, there's more joy than before, but not all the time. Scoring A) a long range goal in PES (which is rare), B) with a player I know is capable of it and C) knowing it was manual, was a real fist-pump moment.

But... I *had* to use the manual modifier, otherwise it would never, ever go in from range. Which isn't good.

And most goals I score (on basic shooting) are still too weird to love. So for example, I'll have four one-on-ones with a keeper in a row, and for no good reason blast them all straight into his body (despite aiming either side), and on the fifth one, you can almost smell the game going "hmm, I better let you have one now" - and, more to the point, your input doesn't really match up to the goal that's scored sometimes. I've had goals go in on opposite sides to what I've aimed for, button taps go relatively high etc... so it's not *your* goal, and I feel nothing for those goals.

But the feeling of building up the play and making the right choices to create an opportunity is a source of joy that ties this stuff together and makes me come back.

Currently playing a ML with Fiorentina and had a cut scene before the derby against Juve, when the chairman (or whoever) told my manager that we have to win for all costs. He said, that we are in front of them in the league table but we should increase the gap.

Hey, look, it's not konami's fault okay? The Fiorentina chairman is always pulling shit like this.

Does anyone know if the pes universe option file has altered the tactics for epl eams? As their doesnt seem to be much variety especially the advanced tactics settings, usually just one attacking setting and one defensive (mainly deep defensive line) are their any good tactic only files out there for ps4? I have heard of clashman tactics but i think rhey maybe pc only?

Does anyone know if the pes universe option file has altered the tactics for epl eams? As their doesnt seem to be much variety especially the advanced tactics settings, usually just one attacking setting and one defensive (mainly deep defensive line) are their any good tactic only files out there for ps4? I have heard of clashman tactics but i think rhey maybe pc only?
look in the tactics post someone has exported his tactics to work with pes universe option file, I think 3 leagues are done for ps4

And most goals I score (on basic shooting) are still too weird to love. So for example, I'll have four one-on-ones with a keeper in a row, and for no good reason blast them all straight into his body (despite aiming either side), and on the fifth one, you can almost smell the game going "hmm, I better let you have one now" - and, more to the point, your input doesn't really match up to the goal that's scored sometimes. I've had goals go in on opposite sides to what I've aimed for, button taps go relatively high etc... so it's not *your* goal, and I feel nothing for those goals.

But the feeling of building up the play and making the right choices to create an opportunity is a source of joy that ties this stuff together and makes me come back.

This is exactly how i feel too.
Some goals are really amazing, but very random as well.

Sometimes i power up, and my player scores with a beatifull inside the foot shot. Other times he just blasts and hits a keeper or crossbar.
It's hard to keep my shots low, but even harder to make the striker do what i want.
I mean in the sense that the shot goes according to the power and direction i (thought) i gave it.

Just feels very random and that does serious damage to my immersion.
It's a great game in many points, but fix the shooting already!

Do you not find winning against the CPU completely lacking of any emotion?

I just don’t care if I beat the CPU, it doesn’t mean anything.

Last time i played MyClub i was playing a guy who had a team full of Superstars (Saurez, Ronaldo, Kroos,etc) . I had 1 player you have heard off. Wheres the fun in that! Its so rubbish. I played online divisions last year. Its just pin pong football, no dribbling or tackling . Try to play any football in that mode you will be Destroyed Humiliated Embarssed. Its garbage.

Last time i played MyClub i was playing a guy who had a team full of Superstars (Saurez, Ronaldo, Kroos,etc) . I had 1 player you have heard off. Wheres the fun in that! Its so rubbish. I played online divisions last year. Its just pin pong football, no dribbling or tackling . Try to play any football in that mode you will be Destroyed Humiliated Embarssed. Its garbage.
I just play online single games some are ok others arnt .bought FIFA yesterday all online division games ended 5-3 etc was crazy end to end .nearly 100 quid spent and no stand out game

I did a database rebuild. And it's back to silky smooth. My heart leapt for joy (I'd had that sinking dread feeling the last few days when you know your favourite toy is broken...)
Might b worth trying it...

A while ago someone mentioned stuttering and frame rate drops. I've noticed turning of all automotion and judder settings removes this problem.
I’m guessing you’re talking about PC, because I sadly play PS haha.

I’m guessing you’re talking about PC, because I sadly play PS haha.

No this is on ps4. Just Google the steps, its quite easy.

Although, its been a bit erratic still since. Last night was great for two games, then absolutely dreadful, unplayable because even the damn camera was glitching to the extent of inducing nausea.

This morning, a quick 5 mins suggested it was better again.
For most people, database rebuild seems to work so do try it out

No this is on ps4. Just Google the steps, its quite easy.

Although, its been a bit erratic still since. Last night was great for two games, then absolutely dreadful, unplayable because even the damn camera was glitching to the extent of inducing nausea.

This morning, a quick 5 mins suggested it was better again.
For most people, database rebuild seems to work so do try it out
You’re not really selling it to me here, haha ;))

Heres my feelings on the game so far.
Have started a master league with Zaragoza in Liga2 , Top Player, Basic Shooting PA1.
Now the first 7/8 games or so were Very good, some hard fought games won a couple 1-0 and 2-1, a draw 1-1 with loss 1-2. The AI forwards seemed Human a great variety of shots being missed some saved the odd goal. Build up play was good apart from the stupid fouls given against you where you dont get the same decision from the ref.
At this stage i was thinking ''Best PES since PES6'' ''fantastic game'' ''vastly improved AI''.
Roll on to the next 8 games and my feelings have totaly changed to ''meh same rubbish game as pes19'' . Starting to see the cheating script kick in now where every shot from the AI is a screamer buried in the corner. Lost 5-2 , 3-0, robbed 3-2 etc . You just know you will concede goals at certain points.
So has the Team Spirit thing kicked in where the AI teams are now up to 80 -90 TS while im stuck at 63 TS.
The post on this forum were mostly very positive until about the last week where were seeing a lot of Rage coming out. Is it TS kicking in and destroying the experience of Master League?

The post on this forum were mostly very positive until about the last week where were seeing a lot of Rage coming out. Is it TS kicking in and destroying the experience of Master League?
Part of the anger in here is probably 1.0 Vs 1.2 discussion. I dont think that we ever had two versions on the console and it is frustrating when someone plays other and points the differences and flaws of each.
I know Im getting tired by all this, hence Im trying to post less now.

Another reason, IMO, is that people are getting tired by constant grind and uphill walk caused by AI in this game.
My first couple of games on current version were brilliant. In time it started to get a bit tiresome. Constant pressure from AI, our players unable to dribble pass anyone most of the time.. constant chess play on the pitch. As charming and as challenging and fun it might be at the start - eventually this constant grind is becoming a bit hard to swallow.
We need a bit of breathing space on the ball. And Im not talking about gaps between defense and midfield - im talking about fun. Having a ball at our feet should be fun. We should enjoy it. The dribbling, the speed, the turns and passes. If AI X defending pressure will not be nerfed to bring back risk/reward defending and if our dribbling wont become more effective and fun to use - I can see people slowly getting suffocated and tired by all this.

:BRMM::CW::APPLAUD: :LOL: Maybe he implied that you must loose to increase the gap!!!:P
It is like the bad awareness of the commentator , at least on Greek Commentary. When a team scores an own-goal, the Greek commentator comments that "it will be difficult for them after the own goal they achieved" but he usually mentions the other team, that is leading to score by that own goal!

Another reason, IMO, is that people are getting tired by constant grind and uphill walk caused by AI in this game.
My first couple of games on current version were brilliant. In time it started to get a bit tiresome. Constant pressure from AI, our players unable to dribble pass anyone most of the time.. constant chess play on the pitch. As charming and as challenging and fun it might be at the start - eventually this constant grind is becoming a bit hard to swallow.
We need a bit of breathing space on the ball. And Im not talking about gaps between defense and midfield - im talking about fun. Having a ball at our feet should be fun. We should enjoy it. The dribbling, the speed, the turns and passes. If AI X defending pressure will not be nerfed to bring back risk/reward defending and if our dribbling wont become more effective and fun to use - I can see people slowly getting suffocated and tired by all this.

I felt the same after trying the 1.0 version and going back up. I felt that was too easy and the current version to difficult, I'd try to dribble, felt like the animation took ages, get tackled, countered rinse and repeat. I'm an old skool gamer and when tricks started getting introduced never had the dexterity to learn more than the most simple tricks

Recently after putting auto feint on I started by just trying to perfect one skill, starting with the Right stick up, left stick forward dribble. Kept getting tackled, kept getting tackled etc. Then I randomly played with Milan and used Suso. This changed everything, His response to the inputs was so much better than the other players I'd been trying to dribble with and from that I've gone back an reassessed where I was dribbling on the pitch, who with etc.
I still get tackled more than I succeed but I know now that if I can get the other side of the defender with Son, use the shoulder button to hold him off, then tap sprint I'll leave him. I'm still then running into the next defender because I'm holding spirit too long, but only 5 times out of 10 rather than 9.

The biggest takeaways for me have been that;

To hold off defenders you have to use the shoulder buttons, without it they'll knock you off the ball, with it, you'll either ride the tackle or get fouled, but you have to keep it help down till you're wrong side of them and then you can move off.

Stats matter, coming from playing the other game most recent and consistently, it's taken a while to recognize who I should dribble with and what they can do. Even the most simple feint with the wrong player in the wrong place can be deadly.

Good way to practice in game is from the wings, isolate the full back and try to beat him, if you lose it, it's likely to be less dangerous then in the middle of the pitch

Perfect one move, then another. I've got two basic skills I use, plus the shoulder buttons to close control, that's it but I can take on defenders now.

Once you do beat the first man, the space opens up.

Like I said I'm no skill expert and typing that out is a much for me as anyone else, but honestly, it's not impossible to beat players in this game, and I'm playing on Superstar.

Part of the anger in here is probably 1.0 Vs 1.2 discussion. I dont think that we ever had two versions on the console and it is frustrating when someone plays other and points the differences and flaws of each.
I know Im getting tired by all this, hence Im trying to post less now.

I know right, just so anoying to have practically two different games and all these different flavours. Before venting your opinion you first have to state which console you are on, which version, wich options file(s), hdd or ssd, which cam and so on and so on. Babylonesk.

To safe me some trouble i updated my sig with the my settings from https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/post-your-settings-for-2020.80846/

Last edited:
I felt the same after trying the 1.0 version and going back up. I felt that was too easy and the current version to difficult, I'd try to dribble, felt like the animation took ages, get tackled, countered rinse and repeat. I'm an old skool gamer and when tricks started getting introduced never had the dexterity to learn more than the most simple tricks

Recently after putting auto feint on I started by just trying to perfect one skill, starting with the Right stick up, left stick forward dribble. Kept getting tackled, kept getting tackled etc. Then I randomly played with Milan and used Suso. This changed everything, His response to the inputs was so much better than the other players I'd been trying to dribble with and from that I've gone back an reassessed where I was dribbling on the pitch, who with etc.
I still get tackled more than I succeed but I know now that if I can get the other side of the defender with Son, use the shoulder button to hold him off, then tap sprint I'll leave him. I'm still then running into the next defender because I'm holding spirit too long, but only 5 times out of 10 rather than 9.

The biggest takeaways for me have been that;

To hold off defenders you have to use the shoulder buttons, without it they'll knock you off the ball, with it, you'll either ride the tackle or get fouled, but you have to keep it help down till you're wrong side of them and then you can move off.

Stats matter, coming from playing the other game most recent and consistently, it's taken a while to recognize who I should dribble with and what they can do. Even the most simple feint with the wrong player in the wrong place can be deadly.

Good way to practice in game is from the wings, isolate the full back and try to beat him, if you lose it, it's likely to be less dangerous then in the middle of the pitch

Perfect one move, then another. I've got two basic skills I use, plus the shoulder buttons to close control, that's it but I can take on defenders now.

Once you do beat the first man, the space opens up.

Like I said I'm no skill expert and typing that out is a much for me as anyone else, but honestly, it's not impossible to beat players in this game, and I'm playing on Superstar.
I went on a great run with Sanchez yesterday, must have beaten 4 players... They seem to have ignored his last 2 seasons when they rated him in this game. :D

I don't think the triggers do anything in terms of shielding or holding players off - that's a thing in FIFA but there's nothing to suggest it's a control in PES.

As an example Harry Kane, just using close control.

Nice one. Getting to grips with 1.2 dribbling myself and i am slowly starting to feel more and more in control over the ball now. I actually think responsiveness is mostly fine if you adapt to the timings and especially let go of all input in between your actions. Suddenly i dont feel that pressured anymore, not in a bad way at least.

I do think the speed is just a tiny bit too fast. Gameplay wise i can accept the faster pace but visually it just looks less natural. Cant exactly put my finger on it but i think its mostly in the way the legs move, just a bit too roadrunner alike. To a small extend it kills my suspension of disbelief that i am controlling physically restricted humans instead of those typical, slightly cartoonesk, PES game characters we've come to know so well.

Last edited:
1st half in 1st game of the day

Dribble by Son, holding off the defender and got it pulled back for a free kick even though I got the shot off. Without shielding I would of (and have) just got barged off the ball with nothing given.

Some randomness to follow

Pass by Aurier, miss control by Kane, Body shape from Lamela and then the nutmeg and finish by Son with either foot.

1st half in 1st game of the day

Dribble by Son, holding off the defender and got it pulled back for a free kick even though I got the shot off. Without shielding I would of (and have) just got barged off the ball with nothing given.

Some randomness to follow

Pass by Aurier, miss control by Kane, Body shape from Lamela and then the nutmeg and finish by Son with either foot.

That nutmeg is sweet :LOVE:

Seems a bit silly that there's no seeding/filter for the teams that get placed in the Euro/WC groups in Cup mode...

You select your own team, then it randomly makes groups from all the teams... So you probably have one or more of San Marino, Gibraltar, Malta, Liechtenstein etc. in your Euros until you manually go through and replace all of them... Which means highlighting them, pressing Y, scrolling to a more suitable team... Then you have to rearrange them all manually into realistic groups.

Yeah it's only a few mins but it puts me off whenever I feel like starting a random cup competition. They could just have a button to include all the best teams, or at least let you choose the seedings then perform a draw... Nope, just chuck any random teams in there in any group, great design!

Especially since this feature was in PES some years back. You could arrange your groups once and then load them back up whenever you started a new World Cup.

I have no idea why they wouldn't keep supporting that feature, so easy to do...

What would you guys say is the best button to use for control? Like stopping the ball dead and also to initiate a sharp instant turn?

Especially since this feature was in PES some years back. You could arrange your groups once and then load them back up whenever you started a new World Cup.

I have no idea why they wouldn't keep supporting that feature, so easy to do...
I don't remember that feature you mention, but back in PES6 (13 years ago) they had a full World Cup mode called "International Challenge" where you played the whole tournament from the qualifiers while picking your squads etc.

Now we just get a simple cup mode for only the finals with no squad selection, where you have to manually pick and arrange all of the teams. I hate having to pick my own group, always feels like I'm cheating or choosing the narrative when it should be random.

I'm guessing they'll implement a Euro 2020 mode at some point but I'm not expecting anything special.

Everything off the pitch has gone backwards since PES6, even online.

Back
Top Bottom