eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

Guys ............. Fake Shots/Crosses ........ Don't work?!!?
Every single time I've been on the wing and faked a shot or cross to cut inside, the COM defender never reacts to the fake and just tackles me, or if I have the ball just outside the box in the AMF 'hole' position and want to fake a shot and dink the other way to make a yard to fire a shot off, nothing, defender doesnt react just tackles me.

This is using the :circle: then :x: or :square: then :x: method

Any advice?
Timing. I’ve found it works best when you’re running at speed, but then let go of sprint and execute the combination you mentioned and it leaves the defender flat footed. Awkward though because you have to be fast with your fingers.

Every single time I've been on the wing and faked a shot or cross to cut inside, the COM defender never reacts to the fake and just tackles me, or if I have the ball just outside the box in the AMF 'hole' position and want to fake a shot and dink the other way to make a yard to fire a shot off, nothing, defender doesnt react just tackles me.

Any advice?

Fake shot/cross is certainly harder to time right compared to last year (where they were arguably over-powered). It never works if the defender is too close, as they will just tackle you. But if they are further away (you've made space through RS or R2) and you go to cross around them, they do lunge to block the cross and you can go the other way. I mostly only use it if my attackers in the box aren't ready yet though and in this version, they've usually set up a tent in the box they've been waiting for my cross for so long :EMB:

I think u guys should play some online games to see the extent of the "lack of fouls" problem (fouls that are fouls, but not getting called)

It's more than just body checks. I'm not sure if the AI in v COM games have enough aggression to show the problem of... these really ill-intent tackles. But if u ever encounter them,a lot of it is allowed:

That, along with a whole plethora of body checks without intention of going for the ball

I think u guys should play some online games to see the extent of the "lack of fouls" problem (fouls that are fouls, but not getting called)

It's more than just body checks. I'm not sure if the AI in v COM games have enough aggression to show the problem of... these really ill-intent tackles. But if u ever encounter them,a lot of it is allowed:

That, along with a whole plethora of body checks without intention of going for the ball

There's all sorts of problems going on with that whole animation sequence. It's almost like he stopped the tackle before touching you so it was a jostle collision rather than a tackle one. His player also got up far too quickly. I wonder if that player has found the perfect timing to super-cancel during a slide tackle to exploit this issue? Has anyone else tried to super-cancel while currently sliding?

Hello Aussie, I kinda disagree with you. I'm pretty disappointed by PES 2020 and I think, almost any other PES is better than 2020. I agree that animations are good but there are things I don't like at all, they are a few that, overall, bring a lot of unpleasant game experiences, at least for me:
The physical part is fake, pre-scripted and contextual, its made by annoying " pushing and humping " animation that locked mostly defenders when they touch someone's back... it's so frustrating.
In PES 2020 the players without the ball, move and feel like "Tanks on Ice".
Players awareness are one of the worst in the series. Defenders most of the time do not react properly on the rowling ball.
The " AI mistakes " are pre-scripted too, they are not random, AI makes the same mistakes all the time, with the " wrong passes " it's the same.
How I write on another topic, the dribbling in this game is useful like hemorrhoids. Yes, I hate new close control on right-stick and what they do with R2, which is the WORST future ever, but the problem is not in dribbling itself, its that AI defenders and assist (X holding) defenders ALWAYS know what are you doing, what the direction you holding and they take the same position even before your player.
You need to play in most basic 1-2 passes if you want to win. Somebody will say " but in real football works like that, fast passing and moving " but in PES you need to play like this for all wrong reasons. Looks like Konami saw this horrible PES LEAGUE players and make the game to be played exactly that way... eFOOTBALL way... and I hate it. That removes all deep and fun from the game.
wow coudlnt disagree more with eveyrhting youve said.to eahc his own.we cant all like the same thing.IM having so much fun with this game.

Don’t you guys find that PA1 is too assisted? I’ve always played both PES and Fifa on manual passing and shooting, so granted I’m probably used to it now, but I don’t like the game deciding on how accurate my play is. I mean I’m actually too accurate with my shots on manual with the stadium cam and they can feel a little too powerful for the keeper, so I’m trying out advanced shooting. It’s a challenge and I have no idea what I’m doing or what I’m supposed to be doing, but it’s a challenge.

Any advice?
The AI barely reacts to any of the feints, they simply home in on the ball with perfect tackles all the time. Same as when online players just hold X (and probably R1) to pressure - from just holding one button they get a perfectly timed tackle with what seems like a 1m radius around them with no timing or judgment required, and very little risk of a foul.

The only moves that are useful are ones that actually make you move/turn faster than the LS alone. Holding R2, tapping RS one way and then moving LS the other does a stepover/turn that can be quick with the right players, and the "double touch" can work and draw a foul if absolutely perfectly timed (i.e. after the tackle animation has already started), diagonal with RS then LS where you are running (but with precise timing, I needed to practice in training mode). Pretty much useless online though due to the timing required combined with the input lag.

Left stick alone with occasional R1 double taps for speed bursts is the only way I can reliably keep the ball. Trying any fakes/feints to go past players is always a kind of suicidal choice.

Don’t you guys find that PA1 is too assisted? I’ve always played both PES and Fifa on manual passing and shooting, so granted I’m probably used to it now, but I don’t like the game deciding on how accurate my play is. I mean I’m actually too accurate with my shots on manual with the stadium cam and they can feel a little too powerful for the keeper, so I’m trying out advanced shooting. It’s a challenge and I have no idea what I’m doing or what I’m supposed to be doing, but it’s a challenge.

I think the ideal would be a looser and less accurate pa1. Would like to see mild directional assist but manual power to be honest, that would be just about perfect for me.

I like manual at times but I don't want to have to be perfect while playing PES. I want to have fun not have to be ultra precise. I think a toning down of pa1 accuracy and the removal of 2 and 3 would be just about perfect.

Online is a complete disaster this year. I'm usually an online-only player, but I have forced myself to try to get some enjoyment out of the game offline for now because of how bad it is.

I'm waiting until the patch before I even think about trying online again, but I'm not optimistic, especially after their Facebook post seeming to suggest they won't be fixing the referees.

Any advice?

As in everything in this game: timing and body angle. The other day I did a double fake shot thing that even I was fooled by my player. The CPU simply fell - literally - for it. It was a thing of beauty. Gotta check if I recorded it. Maybe not because I lost the ball immediately and I think I was losing haha.

But the CPU does fall for it a lot. I use it too much and I too have those times I do it and they tackle me. Which is ok, I think. You have to time it right, with the right body angle and the right ball to defender distance (Too far and it won't do anything, too close and they'll tackle you)... who said playing football was so easy? :P

Also, in my experience, it's much more easier and effective against bad defenders. The good ones... is hard they buy it.

Last edited:
I think the ideal would be a looser and less accurate pa1. Would like to see mild directional assist but manual power to be honest, that would be just about perfect for me.

I like manual at times but I don't want to have to be perfect while playing PES. I want to have fun not have to be ultra precise. I think a toning down of pa1 accuracy and the removal of 2 and 3 would be just about perfect.

The thing is, every year, a new game comes out,m and us manual players complain about manual feeling less manual compared to the previous year.

And every year, from 15-19, assisted players complaining the PA1 feeling more assisted than the previous year. And wanting an option in between. I thought you'd already have what u wanted somewhere amongst those years already

Any advice?

I've had some problems too but i've also made defenders properly fall over with fakes. I haven't figured out the timing but I think they're just much less effective. It also seems as though the later you initiate the fake, the likelier the cpu is to bite. If you quickly do []X it's worthless.

Any advice?

Yeah, that's terrible.
It's the same movement-prediction that's been around. I think it was introduced last year.
This is something worth reporting to the Dev's in their Facebook Page. It'd be nice if the AI fell for these from time to time.

I was getting a bit fed up of feeling like dribbling was useless, that the AI's defenders could just suck the ball off your foot at will whenever you got too close, and that every "loose ball" wasn't actually loose, but would always (and I do mean always) end up heading towards a player, like a pin to a magnet.

So I dropped down to Professional difficulty and... Oh my God. I mean, it's like the curtain to the game's inner workings is pulled back for you to see what goes on in Top Player and Superstar.

Your player's response times improve, the AI's defending isn't overpowered, when they tackle the ball it goes truly loose and ends up in space, deflections go anywhere (not just wide of goal, or to a defender)...

So, now I'm really angry. Because the way that the game manipulates difficulty - as @xPJRx posted earlier - is to impede your control. That's nothing new for PES (and it's why I've never been able to truly love the game in 10+ years, it's always been like this - I'd call it AI cheating, some call it scripting I think).

But to feel what the game is like when those restrictions aren't there, it is crazy. It's like playing PES 2021 or something, because your players respond to your input, and the results of certain actions (shots, deflections) are so clearly no longer being influenced by an invisible God putting them in the perfect place for the AI.

On Top Player/Superstar, I've never seen a goal like this:
(Also, check out the ridiculous expressions)

And I've never seen the AI mess up a shot like this, this would be a clinical shot or a ridiculous save on the higher levels:

So tonight I'm going to keep trying and hope it doesn't get too easy.

EDIT: ...it got too easy.

Last edited:

I’ve definitely played a few people who are trying to exploit the foul issue. Constant sliding tackles, even on players who don’t have the ball. Sometimes it’s called by the ref but the majority of the time it isn’t so it’s worth doing to upset play. However the slightest jostle from me and seemingly winning the ball fairly, gives a free kick.

As always with online gaming, once there is an exploit some people will spam it until the game is dead.

I really have mixed emotions about 2020. In some ways it’s one of the best versions but it’s being severely let down in others. This is just standard for Konami though.

Unfortunately at the moment the issues online are almost getting to the point it’s not worth playing. Passing to a player only for them to ignore the ball is possibly the most frustrating thing in the game and I’m seeing it every match now.

I’m not quite there yet though and still enjoying it to a degree, but I’m praying for a fix sooner rather than later.

A good way to overcome this might be to play in Professional Difficulty, Manual Passing, Advanced Shooting, Advanced Through Balls. So it doesn't get too easy?.

Also, we have to report these issues. We have a way to communicate with the Devs no, let's use it massively!

Yeah, that's terrible.
It's the same movement-prediction that's been around. I think it was introduced last year.
This is something worth reporting to the Dev's in their Facebook Page. It'd be nice if the AI fell for these from time to time.
The AI seems to react to your button inputs, or at least doesn't have any kind of simulation of human reaction times. The very instant you touch the ball to shift it one way, they've reacted to it. All of your dribbling has to be outside of their tackling reach and/or shielding with them on the complete opposite side to the ball (in the demo you could shield from opponents approaching at an angle too).

That is on Superstar, but anything lower and I find their attacking play too easy to stop. I guess this is something that sliders could solve... Right now you have to take the cheating/overpowered defenders to get a somewhat potent attacking AI. Would be better if you could at least choose a difficulty for AI seperately for in/out of possession.

Maybe Legend could be worth a try - in some of the old PES games it seemed like 4 or 5* was harder and more cheaty than the supposedly most difficult 6*.

I was getting a bit fed up of feeling like dribbling was useless, that the AI's defenders could just suck the ball off your foot at will whenever you got too close, and that every "loose ball" wasn't actually loose, but would always (and I do mean always) end up heading towards a player, like a pin to a magnet.

So I dropped down to Professional difficulty and... Oh my God. I mean, it's like the curtain to the game's inner workings is pulled back for you to see what goes on in Top Player and Superstar.

Your player's response times improve, the AI's defending isn't overpowered, when they tackle the ball it goes truly loose and ends up in space, deflections go anywhere (not just wide of goal, or to a defender)...

So, now I'm really angry. Because the way that the game manipulates difficulty - as @xPJRx posted earlier - is to impede your control. That's nothing new for PES (and it's why I've never been able to truly love the game in 10+ years, it's always been like this - I'd call it AI cheating, some call it scripting I think).

But to feel what the game is like when those restrictions aren't there, it is crazy. It's like playing PES 2021 or something, because your players respond to your input, and the results of certain actions (shots, deflections) are so clearly no longer being influenced by an invisible God putting them in the perfect place for the AI.

And I've never seen the AI mess up a shot like this, this would be a clinical shot or a ridiculous save on the higher levels:

If it was possible to like this post x 1000000000000000000000000000 i would!!!
Absolutey 100% agree Chris. Its what i've been saying all along only to be told by others that its how I play the game or how it doesn't happen in their game or how i clearly know nothing about football.

Professional is the game at its purest, loose balls, randomness, shot and passing error, ball moves into open space to be contested, players are true to their stats, once you move beyond Professional a cloak of bullshit scripting/handicapping is layered over the game, just like the guy mentioned that i posted earlier, who worked closely with the devs for years to write those strategy guides, the game is totally reactive, it doesn't know how to learn what you do and exploit your weaknesses and change its game plan to beat you, its not clever enough, instead it dumbs down and handicaps YOUR players and mechanics to give itself a better chance.

Professional is giving me some amazing games, if it gets too easy, I will start using PA0 and Manual Shooting to add another layer of difficulty.

Think this is the first "rising shot" I've scored this year, what a rocket! :D

ezgif-5-c3bc360bf881.gif

And this might just be why I don't have all the issues everyone else seems to here. I say it every year but I don't play PES for a challenge, I play to try and recreate football and play in a certain way, score the goal that i'm creating in my mind as the game plays out. Because of this, I don't need the level to be high and always play on professional. I'm not looking for any way to score a goal but instead, looking to create something as i've imagined it. That in itself creates difficulty.

Don't get me wrong, there are issues and the game is far from perfect but a lot of what i see on here i just don't experience on professional

To be fair, me and my girlfriend play our ML on professional and it is a lot of fun. You get the odd moment of unbridled hatred when you watch the ai score a goal they really shouldn't be able to. But those moments are a lot less than at higher levels and a million times rarer than last year.

Dribbling does feel better at that level. It's a shame they have to artificially nerf the player to add to the difficulty.

If it was possible to like this post x 1000000000000000000000000000 i would!!!
Absolutey 100% agree Chris. Its what i've been saying all along only to be told by others that its how I play the game or how it doesn't happen in their game or how i clearly know nothing about football.

Professional is the game at its purest, loose balls, randomness, shot and passing error, ball moves into open space to be contested, players are true to their stats, once you move beyond Professional a cloak of bullshit scripting/handicapping is layered over the game, just like the guy mentioned that i posted earlier, who worked closely with the devs for years to write those strategy guides, the game is totally reactive, it doesn't know how to learn what you do and exploit your weaknesses and change its game plan to beat you, its not clever enough, instead it dumbs down and handicaps YOUR players and mechanics to give itself a better chance.

Professional is giving me some amazing games, if it gets too easy, I will start using PA0 and Manual Shooting to add another layer of difficulty.

My first 2 years of ML was on PA0 - Pro and stated quite a lot I don't have these 'problems'. I switched to TP from the first season in the PL and I've not noticed any excessive problems in that entire season. Although the strategy guy said he didn't notice anything until 4 seasons in so perhaps the games before doing this stuff also varies if you switch difficulty?

Fingers cross I continue to not see these things!

And this might just be why I don't have all the issues everyone else seems to here. I say it every year but I don't play PES for a challenge, I play to try and recreate football and play in a certain way, score the goal that i'm creating in my mind as the game plays out. Because of this, I don't need the level to be high and always play on professional. I'm not looking for any way to score a goal but instead, looking to create something as i've imagined it. That in itself creates difficulty.

Don't get me wrong, there are issues and the game is far from perfect but a lot of what i see on here i just don't experience on professional
I play on SS full manual and don't see these issues. No freekick issues probably conceded 3 in total all the others either saved or mostly blocked, same AI goals I don't see I think it's very varied, fouls could be more but I'm getting more than 18 and 19 and probably comparable to 17.

I've seen that happen quite a few times on Superstar difficulty though. I've seen them completely miss the ball when taking a shot complete air shot. I've also scored many deflected goals exactly like the one you scored above. Do you think maybe it's just you weren't putting the ai under enough pressure to make these mistakes?

I'm having mega difficulty with the dribbling as well so I will be a little gutted if I have to drop down to professional just to be able to take it around defenders with skill dribblers like Messi and sterling.

I'm having mega difficulty with the dribbling as well so I will be a little gutted if I have to drop down to professional just to be able to take it around defenders with skill dribblers like Messi and sterling.
You can still go past them on TP (well for one season at least!).

Back
Top Bottom