eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

You are lucky then.

Catch up bug: Salah has a 10 yard gap on some one (I have seen defenders with low 60's speed catch salah) I knock the ball ahead of me and the defender still catches up as if Salah had 45 speed.
I would be interested to know on what mode you are playing, what difficulty level and who the defender was. As with Nkunku, if I'm out wide and double-dash, no defender has caught me yet. I'm fairly certain he's a fair deal slower (in the early to mid 80s) than Salah (ML - PA0 - TP), I can also do it with slower, less dribble-talented players against most defenders.

Salah has a 10 yard gap on some one (I have seen defenders with low 60's speed catch salah) I knock the ball ahead of me and the defender still catches up as if Salah had 45 speed.
Its better than it was before but it is still there post patch. On Vanilla pace is much more visible and different between players.
Its difficult to win the race to the ball into space post patch. Defenders will usually hold you down, whereas on 1.0 your player will fight back and win the ball in a lot of cases.

Yesterday I played Metz Vs Lecce. I got a bit of a flu, I sneezed and fucked up all my controls. I basically ran into penalty box in-between 3 AI defenders. But my player held onto the ball. He tripped, he was pushed, ball was sort of bouncing around his legs, but he held on to it, came out on the other side and I was 1on1.
It looked so natural and immediately I thought to myself - that would never happen post patch - defenders would destroy me there. This game has some really beautiful moments!

Its better than it was before but it is still there post patch. On Vanilla pace is much more visible and different between players.
Its difficult to win the race to the ball into space post patch. Defenders will usually hold you down, whereas on 1.0 your player will fight back and win the ball in a lot of cases.

Yesterday I played Metz Vs Lecce. I got a bit of a flu, I sneezed and fucked up all my controls. I basically ran into penalty box in-between 3 AI defenders. But my player held onto the ball. He tripped, he was pushed, ball was sort of bouncing around his legs, but he held on to it, came out on the other side and I was 1on1.
It looked so natural and immediately I thought to myself - that would never happen post patch - defenders would destroy me there. This game has some really beautiful moments!

This still happens post patch (stumbling through the defence and coming out with the ball).

Catch up bug: Salah has a 10 yard gap on some one (I have seen defenders with low 60's speed catch salah) I knock the ball ahead of me and the defender still catches up as if Salah had 45 speed.
Could be the over exaggerated stamina/energy levels. Start of the match no one is catching up to Salah with a 10 yard start, 35-40 mins in or then second half 75-80 mins gone every defender will catch him. 1 of my dislikes regarding this year.

Last edited:
I'm finding I can get away from defenders much easier by double-dashing in this version. That said, I am playing Thai League on a Master League campaign, stats really do show in that! As much as I agree that the out-of-the-box version has been the best version, I'm enjoying this year's still post-patch. There's definitely more variety in AI build-up and I'm finding myself having a "just one more game" feeling, which I can categorically say I did not have in PES 2019.

This still happens post patch (stumbling through the defence and coming out with the ball).
But its much much more difficult than it should be, due to overpowered X pressure. Its difficult to a point that I stopped trying it, when I played current version.
Bare in mind - im sure its more doable to do with good players, but I usually use average teams with average players and defenders are usually destroying me.

But its much much more difficult than it should be, due to overpowered X pressure. Its difficult to a point that I stopped trying it, when I played current version.
Bare in mind - im sure its more doable to do with good players, but I usually use average teams with average players and defenders are usually destroying me.

But who says it SHOULD be easy? If it was easy, everyone would just buy a Drogba type and just barge through the box to score every time. Over-pressing in and around the box was a good source of goals for me in my first season in the PL (from Pens and free-kicks).

PS. You can do it with Giois (SPL?) reasonably easily still (ML default players).

But who says it SHOULD be easy? If it was easy, everyone would just buy a Drogba type and just barge through the box to score every time
We have to agree to disagree here, no point making another few pages long discussion from it.
On disc version its not easy, but its also not discouraging.
Its risk - reward.
On full version its huge risk - luck.
Feels much more natural and enjoyable to me on vanilla. If you enjoy it equally post patch - great. Happy days.

Whereas an AI using a poor team SHOULD play differently, having to use the strengths of their team to advance - making A) each game different, and B) mimic real life (and allowing you to do so with your team). Whereas online, it's miles from realism.

Until gameplay advances football games to a whole new place, where you can't just play one way and succeed with any team, this is how it is. And would people even want it to change? Would people want to have to learn different ways of playing depending on their team's ability?

(I mean, I would - it's my dream - but current gaming culture suggests everyone wants to just pick up a controller and have fun / score great goals without having to think too much about it.)

Sorry, I know I bring it up every 2x3, but after years of League of Legends in the past, where you have to learn your champion, the other champions, the game and the stats to the literal fucking death to even be average, it just goes over my head how the majority of online football guys, a game which should ALL be about nuances between players, teams and playstyles, could set for this awful level of simplicity. I can't accept it, and this alone should be a good answer to the "why you guys don't play it".

Should an online football game which force you to play plausibly came out I'd be the first to play it out. But in this state? I'd seriously reinstall LOL if I'd ever need that kind of beat-an-human feeling instead.

People keep saying other people are assholes online but I find that to be quite the opposite among PA0- users anyway. Rarely anyone goes bananas in PA0- Divisions.

I've had many moments like this post patch you just need to use R2 to fight to keep the ball.

The only difference is the AI fights more so they will pull you back. But as long as they can't touch you they wont get anywhere near. Last night I ran literally round the AI's defence with Ricarlison against AC Milan on Europa semi final on superstar (doesn't get anymore cheaty than that) I was literally just able to out sprint them from the counter attack. I ran from the edge of my own box.

Could be the over exaggerated stamina/energy levels. Start of the match no one is catching up to Salah with a 10 yard start, 35-40 mins in or then second half 75-80 mins gone every defender will catch him. 1 of my dislikes regarding this year.

Not if said defenders are also tired.

People are too quick to shout catch up when expecting players to take a perfect first touch into their stride and lose absolutely no momentum.

When it's purely a foot race, there's no catch up. There's realistic catch up if your touch isn't perfect or the pass isn't great and you have to change direction. The balance is good, unlike old fifa games when people played evra in a front 3 because of his ridiculous pace.

If I wanted to try out this “vanilla” 1.0 version, how would I do that exactly? And is it possible to try it and keep your kits and tactics etc? Like maybe a separate save or something? Thanks.

People are too quick to shout catch up when expecting players to take a perfect first touch into their stride and lose absolutely no momentum.

When it's purely a foot race, there's no catch up. There's realistic catch up if your touch isn't perfect or the pass isn't great and you have to change direction. The balance is good, unlike old fifa games when people played evra in a front 3 because of his ridiculous pace.

I really like holding down R2 while stationary for keeping stride on runs (it even sometimes works for balls into the box, it really catches out the AI defence). But it of course requires the pass to be going in roughly the direction you want to go since your first touch will 'intercept' the ball later!

PS. Djibril Cisse ruled PES 4 for his rocket pace. High lines were suicide to a through-ball over the center circle. He could also hit some pretty sweet volleys!

I've had many moments like this post patch you just need to use R2 to fight to keep the ball.

The only difference is the AI fights more so they will pull you back. But as long as they can't touch you they wont get anywhere near. Last night I ran literally round the AI's defence with Ricarlison against AC Milan on Europa semi final on superstar (doesn't get anymore cheaty than that) I was literally just able to out sprint them from the counter attack. I ran from the edge of my own box.
And then he was absolutely knackered for the rest of the half..

catch up bug has plagued pes since 2016 lets be honest. its in there to stop van der mirchs or whatever that fast dudes name was

its unfair, if they dont want pace to rule they should not over power it, not make defenders super fast too no matter their attributes.

on pes 16-19 doesnt matter if you are abuymang you go clean through on goal the defender likely catches up before you get time to shoot most of the time

Haha to be honest it was his second goal so I took him off shortly after since it was like the 80th minute.
Ahhh, smart. Players like Richarlison and Adama Traore have pretty shocking stamina, so any great runs you make with them, the highs are pretty short lived because they instantly run on empty and said run can’t be repeated haha.

catch up bug has plagued pes since 2016 lets be honest. its in there to stop van der mirchs or whatever that fast dudes name was

its unfair, if they dont want pace to rule they should not over power it, not make defenders super fast too no matter their attributes.

on pes 16-19 doesnt matter if you are abuymang you go clean through on goal the defender likely catches up before you get time to shoot most of the time

I just don't think this is true for PES2020, I've been clean through and not been caught.

I feel the opposite. Unless I am playing with friends or people I know, online feels very meaningless and boring... especially since most people, unlike you, just use the same 5-star teams all the time. And the gameplay online is usually much worse. Those of us who like Master League treat the game as more of an RPG I guess.

I managed to get to Div 2 last year, which means having to plays Real, PSG, Man City, Bayern, Barca on repeat with 500-600 rated teams. Talk about a frustrating experience.

You do get the odd player who is learnt good but still chooses to use a high rated team, however in general it’s those types who use crazy formations with Bale and Ronaldo types hugging the corner flags. These guys are easy enough to nullify, however weaker teams are still susceptible to a howitzer from a 90+ player which more often than not occurs eat least once per match.

I do love to force a rage quit though using a small team.

Ahhh, smart. Players like Richarlison and Adama Traore have pretty shocking stamina, so any great runs you make with them, the highs are pretty short lived because they instantly run on empty and said run can’t be repeated haha.

Yeah absolutely its also great fun bringing them on in the last 15 minutes against tired defenders. The new tired animation is very funny especially when you have a fast sub who just burns through whilst the defender is running through treacle.

If I wanted to try out this “vanilla” 1.0 version, how would I do that exactly? And is it possible to try it and keep your kits and tactics etc? Like maybe a separate save or something? Thanks.

You would have to own a physical version of the game, uninstall the updates and then disconnect from the internet to prevent them from installing again. And no you would not keep your kits.

Yeah absolutely its also great fun bringing them on in the last 15 minutes against tired defenders. The new tired animation is very funny especially when you have a fast sub who just burns through whilst the defender is running through treacle.
Agreed. I ruined Shelvey in one game with Adama and his reaction was like “kill me now”. Reminded me of the time when Newcastle played Bournemouth (I think) and when the latter were attacking, he bizarrely decided to take a moment to lean over and hold his knees taking a deep breath and a few seconds later Bournemouth scored.. hilarious.

A lot of the issue with the teams sitting deep after you've had some success comes from most of the PL teams (if not all, I haven't looked) has DEEP DEFENSIVE LINE as one of their advanced tactics and as soon as you appear a threat, lots of teams use their most defensive tactics (sometimes combined with a def mentality) against you from the off. A bit more tactical variety among the teams would decrease this boredom.

I've only just got into the Europa League (starting 4th season soon with Reading ML defaults) so it will be interesting to see if I find any super powered teams there. But in my FA Cup matches last season (I got to the semis) the weak teams I played certainly weren't boosted at all. Only in one game had it felt a little handicapped for me and that was in the second match in the cup. In this match I needed to rest a lot of players and so my team mentality went from it's usual high 80s/early 90s to about 65-70, so I was expecting my players to have a few issues anyway.

Fingers crossed I don't suffer the same issues as him as I'm now also starting my 4th season playing on TP...:PRAY:

Just thought it was interesting observations from a guy who had official access to the devs for years and knows the game and how its put together inside out.
and mirrors a lot of what i was saying I see in the game, of course im not surprised that you dont see it in yours ;-)

Back
Top Bottom