eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

@Negatrev

May I ask, what don’t you like about PES 2020?

Lots.
  • Players fall over too easily in general
  • The cpu uses slide tackle too much
  • Basic shooting hits the posts too much
  • Players sometimes just ignore the ball (a bug dev team have recognised)
  • Balls in the air only seem to be able to be contested by 2 players
  • Your youth team is too good after a single season in the ML making it too easy to build a great team cheaply (and with less of an impact on Team Spirit)
  • Board has unrealistic default expectations in ML (you can usually negotiated a more reasonable one though)
  • The new, non-skip-able ML manager cut-scenes in game are annoying (so are the other cut-scenes, but at least you can skip them)
  • ML you can't (easily) create your own manager any more
  • ML should at least change the names of retired players being regenerated, rather than just having the same player appear again
  • Player ratings in matches are too harsh/low overall
  • Super cancel doesn't always work (a bug dev team have recognised)
  • Fullbacks don't stop a cross very well if you cross early of go on your wrong foot
  • Penalties are harder than free-kicks to score (free-kicks are too accurate)
  • AI rarely jumps with the wall or shifts the GK early meaning I score way more free-kicks than they do
  • GK doesn't claim wide FK/corners enough
Probably more, these are just off the top of my head.

Just because I try to help others enjoy the game by working through/around issues doesn't mean I don't think the game could be vastly improved.

Post patch pa0 is the same as pa1 from the demo and pa1 from the vanilla game..

They just made pa0 even more assisted and pa1 when they patched.
I do feel a bit more "assistance" than in the demo, but not to the extent that it's anything like demo PA1... You can still aim into space and it will go there, it's just that sometimes it feels like a pass near a player locks on to them a bit.

That "lock on" doesn't seem to happen when holding L2.

Demo PA1 was still far too easy, you hardly had to concentrate at all to ping the ball around. I could only tolerate PA0 games online.

What, one or two examples?

Show me your Master League saves with all of these fouls you apparently get? And I’m talking about match after match after match, not just two screenshots. I had 4 fouls in a game once, like a week or so ago. Haven’t had a game like it since though.

I’ll apologise for jumping the gun and admit I’m “playing wrong” if/when you provide this evidence. I’m still not getting 5 fouls every game like you guys are.

Haha I showed you the 2 games I played yesterday and @hitmanuk showed you 3 from his play.

So what your saying is we'd have to show you every match of the season for you to believe us? lol lets see if I remember to do that. But we have shown you proof but you chose to ignore it.

Lots.

The cpu uses slide tackle too much
    Basic shooting hits the posts too much
    Players sometimes just ignore the ball (a bug dev team have recognised)
    Balls in the air only seem to be able to be contested by 2 players
    Your youth team is too good after a single season in the ML making it too easy to build a great team cheaply (and with less of an impact on Team Spirit)
    Board has unrealistic default expectations in ML (you can usually negotiated a more reasonable one though)
    The new, non-skip-able ML manager cut-scenes in game are annoying (so are the other cut-scenes, but at least you can skip them)
    ML you can't (easily) create your own manager any more
    ML should at least change the names of retired players being regenerated, rather than just having the same player appear again
    Player ratings in matches are too harsh/low overall
    Super cancel doesn't always work (a bug dev team have recognised)
    Fullbacks don't stop a cross very well if you cross early of go on your wrong foot
    Penalties are harder than free-kicks to score (free-kicks are too accurate)
    AI rarely jumps with the wall or shifts the GK early meaning I score way more free-kicks than they do
    GK doesn't claim wide FK/corners enough

Just because I try to help others enjoy the game by working through/around issues doesn't mean I don't think the game could be vastly improved.
I’m sure you mean well but I think what’s getting some people a little agitated (myself included) is the condescending and patronising tone in your posts. Many of us, and I need to reiterate this: LOADS of people (look at Twitter and Reddit) are saying that the game is hugely flawed and there is a serious lack of fouls.

Telling someone they’ve probably never played the game themselves before is completely unnecessary and has nothing to do with PES 2020 as a video game.

:APPLAUD::APPLAUD::APPLAUD::APPLAUD::APPLAUD:

Try 2 years with Aston Villa at U21 level, 1 year at Luton Town, played at more premier league grounds that you've probably ever even visited, hold several FA coaching badges, have played with legends such as Bobby Charlton, how about you??

After that little embarrassment above I simply can't take anything you say seriously.

I Suppose stuff like this doesn't happen in your game because you know how to 'play to the system' ?

https://t.co/PIXHis1bLw

...yet you don't understand how to play to the ref's game...nice name-dropping, but I've nothing to be embarrassed about in the slightest.

Haha I showed you the 2 games I played yesterday and @hitmanuk showed you 3 from his play.

So what your saying is we'd have to show you every match of the season for you to believe us? lol lets see if I remember to do that. But we have shown you proof but you chose to ignore it.
Neither of you posted continuous evidence of the LOTS of fouls you three people claim you get every game in a ML save. You just posted a few screenshots from a versus game or whatever. And don’t you find it a little weird that the entire internet is saying there’s a serious lack of fouls awarded yet just three of you claim you get loads every game? Sorry but I’m entitled to be extremely sceptical here.

We’re all complaining (again not just me but MANY people on Twitter, Reddit and here) that there’s a serious lack of fouls and obvious fouls that get unpunished in Master League and it’s ruining the experience for us.

So please, show me your ML save over the course of the season where you get 3-5 fouls EVERY single match?

I’m waiting.

I’m sure you mean well but I think what’s getting some people a little agitated (myself included) is the condescending and patronising tone in your posts. Many of us, and I need to reiterate this: LOADS of people (look at Twitter and Reddit) are saying that the game is hugely flawed and there is a serious lack of fouls.

Telling someone they’ve probably never played the game themselves before is completely unnecessary and has nothing to do with PES 2020 as a video game.

I've also said there IS a problem with fouls. However, I chose to try and solve the problem in a way I can and am enjoying that. If you find the fact I am enjoying the game is condescending, then I'm afraid that's your problem, not mine. I'm not even that good at PES any more and yet I experience a consistent foul system (besides the non-tackle issue) and can draw fouls rather than lose the ball more often than not and a previous version of PES caused this same experiential change in how fouls worked.

I don't ever tell anyone what they've experience should be dismissed, or is wrong. Each time I've shared my experience and suggested how users might have more fun with the game. However, me enjoying the game seems to offend people who aren't...

Right. We've already warned about this in the thread, but clearly it needs stating again.

Stop DEMANDING proof off each other, stop belittling each other, and let's get back to decent discussion. It's getting incredibly tiresome in here. Take heed, or there will be bans. This thread has completely imploded.

Have to say - im enjoying this conversation about fouls in the background.
One thing id like to add, if I may.

When it comes to fouls in football - no one should ever say that it depends on how you play and that you can draw fouls.

I could draw fouls on Pes18, which was the softest and ugliest Pes in the last few years. Fouls were basically non existent. Yet I could draw them. I even got few penalties.

But that doesnt change the fact that the game, when it comes to fouls and physicality - was broken.
Fouls should happen naturally. You shouldnt have to draw them. Yes, you might get more this way, but it doesnt change the fact that each game should have few.

Pes20 has some, its not nearly as broken as Pes18 was in this regard.
Nonetheless - when you look at physicality that we have and the way AI barges into us on a full whack - there should be much more.

Edit:
@Chris Davies - id like a proof that its getting tiresome here!
:LOL:

Right. We've already warned about this in the thread, but clearly it needs stating again.

Stop DEMANDING proof off each other, stop belittling each other, and let's get back to decent discussion. It's getting incredibly tiresome in here. Take heed, or there will be bans. This thread has completely imploded.
Sorry Chris, won’t say another word on the fouls issue or reply to anyone bringing it up. You’re right it’s tedious.

Neither of you posted continuous evidence of the LOTS of fouls you three people claim you get every game in a ML save. You just posted a few screenshots from a versus game or whatever. And don’t you find it a little weird that the entire internet is saying there’s a serious lack of fouls awarded yet just three of you claim you get loads every game? Sorry but I’m entitled to be extremely sceptical here.

We’re all complaining (again not just me but MANY people on Twitter, Reddit and here) that there’s a serious lack of fouls and obvious fouls that get unpunished in Master League and it’s ruining the experience for us.

So please, show me your ML save over the course of the season where you get 3-5 fouls EVERY single match?

I’m waiting.

I will capture a full game on my PS4 of version 1.00.00..

I’ve had teams down to 9 men and I’ve already had 10 penalties awarded in my favour and countless free kicks..

I can’t speak for the game post patch.But from what I’ve read some are experiencing more fouls then others.

I’ve found if I’m more aggressive the cpu will be..But it does vary from game to game..The conditions and teams..

Different refs also have different levels of leniency..Is it a perfect system?..But it’s still pretty good pre patch..

Are you using any super cancel or any tactics? How do you normally play them?

Crowd the 6 yard box tactic. Tried whipped and hanging deliveries. Haven't won a single header apart from once when I evaded the defender completely. Otherwise they win every duel. Not tried cancel yet.

Never had this issue prior to PES 19

The big difference this year is in the box you really have to place it in the right spot or to the man..Especially on crosses or corners..It’s also more about the timing or connection of the receiving player.

Just pressing buttons and hoping players will connect just doesn’t work..

It’s just about being patient waiting for those moments..The probing,ball retention and timing is so key..Those split second opportunities that come and go..

The one or two touches on the ball that make the difference between a killer pass or strike..

Everything’s so contextual..You really have to look at the players feet and focus on all those tiny touches on the ball and timing of when you pass or shoot..The angle of your player and how a little bit of pass and move can open up space and possibilities.

Damn! Here i am sitting at home, greatful that i finally got a pes game to play ml for the first time since pes13. Yeah it's still got problems, issues. Fouls have been decrease to a certain extent, presentation, sound are bad (for 2020 football game), online servers etc. But if you enjoy the game, you can forgive these issues.

I mean come on guys we're not getting any younger now. Enjoy the game while we stil can.

That won't help outjump defenders though. They win every single one, even when I aim for my centre backs

Practice?

Seriously though. Corners are a combination of things required.

1. Players that are decent in the air. This is not just that they are tall. You want players who are strong enough to hold their ground/edge out the defender. They need to be able to jump without just being shoved off balance.
  2. The cross needs to be into a good area. If the header is met too far out, or to high up, it's hard for a player to get over the ball. I like in-swingers and prefer a kicker with higher curl than higher long pass (within reason). Often missing corners is because you are heading from an unlikely position. If the ball is landing in these areas I'll prefer a headed pass to a shot.
  3. Are you positioning your player for the header. If you just hit shoot after crossing. More often than not your player will just jump up with a defender who is in the path of the goal and so your player either tries to head over them (arches over the bar) or the defender get to the ball first and clears. Don't get me wrong, sometimes your player will have auto-lost the defender and you'll score anyway. But if you super cancel you can back-off and get a run on the ball, perhaps even get around your defender entirely. With certain corner set-ups, you can even time your cross so that your players have a good run on the ball.
A good 'practice' for winning headers is on goal kicks. As soon as the ball is in the air, you can super-cancel and move your player to different positions in relation to the opponent. Then from each position, try to head it (pass preferably) and you can see how the position effected your chance of winning the header along with how much control and power you had over the ball. The same rules apply on corners, it's just you get fewer opportunities and of course less time after kicking the corner!

Crowd the 6 yard box tactic. Tried whipped and hanging deliveries. Haven't won a single header apart from once when I evaded the defender completely. Otherwise they win every duel. Not tried cancel yet.

Never had this issue prior to PES 19
I did use Super Cancel on every corner till recently. I noticed that player positioning is slightly better and with Super Cancel I was actually "overshooting" my position. So I tried without and scored 2 last night. Hence I asked about Super Cancel.
I always use "dash" tactics, hit it more or less in the middle of penalty area and curve the ball like on free kicks. Its harder for AI to mark your players when they are charging in.
Everyone has their own way.
I never even tried Crowd 6 yard box.. ;)

The big difference this year is in the box you really have to place it in the right spot or to the man..Especially on crosses or corners..It’s also more about the timing or connection of the receiving player.

Just pressing buttons and hoping players will connect just doesn’t work..

It’s just about being patient waiting for those moments..The probing,ball retention and timing is so key..Those split second opportunities that come and go..

The one or two touches on the ball that make the difference between a killer pass or strike..

Everything’s so contextual..You really have to look at the players feet and focus on all those tiny touches on the ball and timing of when you pass or shoot..The angle of your player and how a little bit of pass and move can open up space and possibilities.

I love free-kicks from the corner of the penalty box (too wide for a shot). You can often see a one-on-one situation and pick the right cross to benefit your player. I like a high, slow looping ball onto the pair, gives you loads of time to jostle with the defender :)

I did use Super Cancel on every corner till recently. I noticed that player positioning is slightly better and with Super Cancel I was actually "overshooting" my position. So I tried without and scored 2 last night. Hence I asked about Super Cancel.
I always use "dash" tactics, hit it more or less in the middle of penalty area and curve the ball like on free kicks. Its harder for AI to mark your players when they are charging in.
Everyone has their own way.
I never even tried Crowd 6 yard box.. ;)

My most common super-cancel in the box is an slight out-and-in run. Step off the defender, then hit shoot and step in as the ball passes the 6 yards box edge. You often get a nice running jump, but as you say, time it too early and you end up leaping under the ball and can only lift it over :(

Also - I should have mentioned that im on manual. Last year manual headers were sort of broken, this year they are smashing. Not sure how much does this had to do with my goals and would I also scored them on basic...

I love free-kicks from the corner of the penalty box (too wide for a shot). You can often see a one-on-one situation and pick the right cross to benefit your player. I like a high, slow looping ball onto the pair, gives you loads of time to jostle with the defender :)

I use manual shooting for a low driving cross along the floor or with a little height..

I also use l1 and the shoot button to place lower crosses from all angle’s outside the box..It doesn’t ark as much and is harder for defenders to head and easily clear..The ball is lower and more waist height..Great for volleys or getting the ball on the foot of a lunging forward.

There’s so many things in this game that the end user has to discover..

Lots.

The cpu uses slide tackle too much: Not for me, i just find they use them and dont get punished when they foul.
    Basic shooting hits the posts too much: it does, but i find most shots go centre of the goal(or towards the keeper)
    Players sometimes just ignore the ball (a bug dev team have recognised)
    Balls in the air only seem to be able to be contested by 2 players
    Your youth team is too good after a single season in the ML making it too easy to build a great team cheaply (and with less of an impact on Team Spirit): Not at all seen this, ive done two seperate games and after first season i only have 3 or 4 players 70 to 73 maximum.
    Board has unrealistic default expectations in ML (you can usually negotiated a more reasonable one though)
    The new, non-skip-able ML manager cut-scenes in game are annoying (so are the other cut-scenes, but at least you can skip them)
    ML you can't (easily) create your own manager any more: Can you create your own? ive not seen the option.
    ML should at least change the names of retired players being regenerated, rather than just having the same player appear again: OR do what the older pes games did and either have a shed ton of default players like Kaiser ect OR like PES 2010 iirc had a feature where a youth player would "look a lot like Xavi" but be from a different country, have a different look ect and Xavi wouldnt of retired. It just uses their attribute spread.
    Player ratings in matches are too harsh/low overall: agreed, which in turn affects team roles that use a match rating system.
    Super cancel doesn't always work (a bug dev team have recognised)
    Fullbacks don't stop a cross very well if you cross early of go on your wrong foot
    Penalties are harder than free-kicks to score (free-kicks are too accurate)
    AI rarely jumps with the wall or shifts the GK early meaning I score way more free-kicks than they do
    GK doesn't claim wide FK/corners enough

I put my ideas in bold.

This game is so ugly this year. Awful pitch colours and textures, kits look way too bright (Bayern Munich player on loading screen makes my eyes bleed his kit is so red) there’s a weird sharpness effect applied to everything.

The lighting at times is absolutely woeful too.

I’ve had to drop colour slider on my tv so low it’s nearly black and white now.

Same. The colour palette is illuminous. I've had to turn brightness and contrast right down so it doesn't blind me
See, I’ve done this, but I’ve also tried to make the pitch greener (I need a green pitch), but it’s impossible to find a nice balance between a realistic green pitch and red and blue kits that really punish my eyes haha.

And the less said about night matches the better, they’re somehow too dark and too illuminous at the same time.

I put my ideas in bold.

Your quoting is really confusing as you bolded a lot of my text as well!

Slide tackles are too many for the length of match. I see more slide tackles in a 10 minutes game of PES than I see in an entire 45 minute half of PL football. They (the AI) rely on it/default to it too much. I slide rarely in a match and it shows in the foul stats.

I start the ML with ML defaults. So the players range from 60-70. My youth team in the following summer had 12 players over 70 in it. Mostly all better than my current squad. I want my 16 year olds to be mostly worse than this. Starting around 60 at most (some start here) and so you actually need to leave them in your youth team for a few years and loan them out before they're ready. Your youth team does also have quite a few players starting around 60 and below, however, after 3 years, none of these, through quite stringently selected youth training have developed to be anywhere near a match squad and from their predicted graphs, none would ever develop above 70. The youth system at the moment seems to be balanced for your starting line-up already being in the 80s for each player. I want to have a reason to develop youth, rather than just swap out my entire team after the first window and end up starting mostly 16 year olds. However, this is specific to people playing with the ML default team. I know many want to play with realistic squads and so won't see this as an issue for them :)

You can create your own manager if you're on PC and happy to do a bit of modding (hence the 'easily' condition being in brackets).

Back
Top Bottom