eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

Sorry for the long post, but needed to get this off my chest to a sympathetic bunch of friendly and like minded people :BYE:

Ok, so I've yet to catch up with this thread, you guys are so active... I'm still on page 85! :BLINK::SHOCK::LOL:

Anyway: I still haven't received my pre-order copy from ShopTo (international delivery, I'm in Denmark) and I've pretty much accepted that it's lost in the mail. Can't start a claim until the 26th, as they won't reply to international delivery until at least 20 days from dispatch date, which was the 6th.

But I'm longing so much to play this game that'll I'll probably just buy it again now. I know, it seems crazy, but I wanna play NOW. Besides, I have a Saturday evening planned, the 5th of October, with one of my mates specifically to play PES 2020 - and I need time to install an option file and all that before. Although we only plan to play World Cup so I could probably get by playing the base game. But we both have kids and busy lives so if we have to reschedule our 'play date' it will realistically be another 3 months or so before we can book a another session, so I pretty much need the game now... :...:EMB:

Currently I'm debating getting a physical copy from a more local vendor or getting a digital copy. I like the idea of not having to change disc and all that when switching to another game. Especially because I plan to be going back and forth between PES sessions and perhaps Racedriver GRID 2019 and/or Modern Warfare - judging by that beautiful BETA that I spent a couple of hours playing this weekend. I'm also pretty sure that I will just stick to the most current PES 2020 update and not bother too much with trying to stay on v1.0. It just seems like a lot of hassle to stay vanilla on this game - especially because it will affect how I keep the rest of my PS4 game library updated, if I understand it correctly? And since I have really crappy internet speed (not because I can't afford it but because the coverage in the rural area in which I live is a joke - I'll be lucky to have 20 Mbit download on a good day. Mostly it's around 5 Mbit... So I like to keep my PS4 on sleep mode so it can automatically download updates when I sleep or am at work) On the other hand, I wouldn't mind having the physical copy so that I could potentially revert to version 1.0 if I so choose...

Who am I kidding? I’ll just get the digital download so I can play it NOW!!! :LOL:

On another note, since I spotted on PES Universe that they’ve brought back the Default Master League players of old, I’m really thinking that I’ll just use their Option File and import that team to use for my own Fantasy ML that I’m planning with my own Kit Designs. More on this later if it ever comes to fruition… But first kit is already designed thanks to pesmaster.com so I think I’ll actually do it for the first time ever. Can’t wait! :BOUNCE::DANCE:

Edit: P.S. I'll be editing the Default ML player names to those of PES 2, since those are the ones I've spent the most time with during my misspent youth :BLUSH: That means Valeny = Valery, Minanda = Miranda and Espimas = Espinas. Anything else is just blasphemy in my eyes ;)

Last edited:
After playing an international game in a Brazilian stadium, all the south American stadiums are now available for playing with European clubs...

You could add custom adboards to your created stadiums as well if I remember rightly, it’s crazy that we had all this customisation 7 years ago on ps3 but nothing like it since.

When I saw that you could add the partner sponsor logo images in pes 2020 my first thought was that they would be used as adboards in your home games. Surely this would be possible. Come on Konami sort it out :II
Technically, these textures weren't being used for adboards, but for stadiumboards instead. This wouldn't be possible with the current generic stadiums.

After playing an international game in a Brazilian stadium, all the south American stadiums are now available for playing with European clubs...
The choice of stadiums is only limited when you play a match with two teams from the same league.

PES20 almnost derailed for me over the weekend.
My conclusion is that Top Player difficulty is broken.

Every single match was an infuriating, unenjoyable slog following an identical pattern …

I spend three quarters of the match trying to get the ball off the COM, when I do get close enough to make a tackle, its instantly called as a foul, the COM has much higher pass completion as if it is playing on PA3, and their shots are clinical, almost every shot is a goal.
As soon as I get the ball, I’m instantly hounded by insane constant pressure from 2 or more COM players who just shove me off the ball, regardless of player or stats, I’m also constantly fouled all over the pitch but never ever given a FK. I have to first time pass 90% of the time due to the insane unfair pressure and physicality and my players are seemingly unable to pass 10 yards accurately.

My foul average over 35 games on Top Player was 0.02 !!!!

I switched back down to professional after 4 games into season 2 and what an unbelievable difference.

Pre-season I signed several new players, an 80 OVR rated DMF called Fernando, 2 x Mid 70’s rated CB’s, a 76 rated GK, and a 76 rated Wide Midfielder. I signed these players not based on OVR but after careful research and scouting into key skills and traits for each position, speed and acceleration, close control and dribbling for the LMF, ball winning, aggressiveness, strength for the CB’s, tackling, strength, passing for the DMF etc.

None of these skills and stats were visible on Top player, because the second I took possession with any player, I was instantly harassed pressured and shoved off the ball so none of their skills were able to show through.
On Professional its a different game.

I am given more time on the ball, but the COM pressures more intelligently, there’s more shot and pass error for the COM, due to more time to actually play football my players stats shine, and nippy wingers show their skills, my DMF holds the ball up well, there’s much more randomness and freedom in play, and I’m back to getting 3 or 4 fouls per match.

I definitely think they have ballsed up Top Player, it strangles the game down to a complete unplayable mess.

Also, the 3 games I played back on Pro, I won 1 and lost 2, so more than happy to stick to this ‘lower level’ where the game is actually playable.

Was so close to ditching the game due to Top player being a mess.

Technically, these textures weren't being used for adboards, but for stadiumboards instead. This wouldn't be possible with the current generic stadiums.

The choice of stadiums is only limited when you play a match with two teams from the same league.

Really? What is it with konami and these eccentric choices...
Cheers, I never noticed

is it true manual passing and shooting takes away individual player stats affecting shots and passe?.if this is true is it a dealbreaker for you when you use manual?

I don't know about manual shooting this year, but manual passing still relies on better passers of the ball. Manual just means you pick where you want the ball to go. The quality of the player passing it decides how close to your destination it might get.

Sorry for the long post, but needed to get this off my chest to a sympathetic bunch of friendly and like minded people :BYE:

Ok, so I've yet to catch up with this thread, you guys are so active... I'm still on page 85! :BLINK::SHOCK::LOL:

Anyway: I still haven't received my pre-order copy from ShopTo (international delivery, I'm in Denmark) and I've pretty much accepted that it's lost in the mail. Can't start a claim until the 26th, as they won't reply to international delivery until at least 20 days from dispatch date, which was the 6th.

But I'm longing so much to play this game that'll I'll probably just buy it again now. I know, it seems crazy, but I wanna play NOW. Besides, I have a Saturday evening planned, the 5th of October, with one of my mates specifically to play PES 2020 - and I need time to install an option file and all that before. Although we only plan to play World Cup so I could probably get by playing the base game. But we both have kids and busy lives so if we have to reschedule our 'play date' it will realistically be another 3 months or so before we can book a another session, so I pretty much need the game now... :...:EMB:

Currently I'm debating getting a physical copy from a more local vendor or getting a digital copy. I like the idea of not having to change disc and all that when switching to another game. Especially because I plan to be going back and forth between PES sessions and perhaps Racedriver GRID 2019 and/or Modern Warfare - judging by that beautiful BETA that I spent a couple of hours playing this weekend. I'm also pretty sure that I will just stick to the most current PES 2020 update and not bother too much with trying to stay on v1.0. It just seems like a lot of hassle to stay vanilla on this game - especially because it will affect how I keep the rest of my PS4 game library updated, if I understand it correctly? And since I have really crappy internet speed (not because I can't afford it but because the coverage in the rural area in which I live is a joke - I'll be lucky to have 20 Mbit download on a good day. Mostly it's around 5 Mbit... So I like to keep my PS4 on sleep mode so it can automatically download updates when I sleep or am at work) On the other hand, I wouldn't mind having the physical copy so that I could potentially revert to version 1.0 if I so choose...

Who am I kidding? I’ll just get the digital download so I can play it NOW!!! :LOL:

On another note, since I spotted on PES Universe that they’ve brought back the Default Master League players of old, I’m really thinking that I’ll just use their Option File and import that team to use for my own Fantasy ML that I’m planning with my own Kit Designs. More on this later if it ever comes to fruition… But first kit is already designed thanks to pesmaster.com so I think I’ll actually do it for the first time ever. Can’t wait! :BOUNCE::DANCE:

Edit: P.S. I'll be editing the Default ML player names to those of PES 2, since those are the ones I've spent the most time with during my misspent youth :BLUSH: That means Valeny = Valery, Minanda = Miranda and Espimas = Espinas. Anything else is just blasphemy in my eyes ;)
I hope you plan to edit some fake players, cause the ML defaults like Giorza, Casteldine ,Goios are hard-coded.

I don't know about manual shooting this year, but manual passing still relies on better passers of the ball. Manual just means you pick where you want the ball to go. The quality of the player passing it decides how close to your destination it might get.

You are right and it is the same for shooting:))

You never know with Konami but I was under the impression manual passing is manual but it varies among players anyway due to the players special passing abilities, weighted pass, Low lofted pass etc.

It's weird though since it says L2 is manual when you get those tips when waiting on a match to start.

This game is so ugly this year. Awful pitch colours and textures, kits look way too bright (Bayern Munich player on loading screen makes my eyes bleed his kit is so red) there’s a weird sharpness effect applied to everything.

The lighting at times is absolutely woeful too.

I’ve had to drop colour slider on my tv so low it’s nearly black and white now.

The presentation and atmosphere this year is as bad as ever - unacceptable actually. It just doesn’t feel or look like a £40 game.

My friends have already sold their copies and have told me to never recommend PES to them again because of how bad it is in multiplayer.

Thanks Konami! I only had two friends as it is, now I’ve got none.

They really need to sort out the physicality system. It's awful. The cpu can just pull at you and grab and wrestle you off the ball without punishment. As soon as they touch you, your player gets stunned and cannot do anything for 2 seconds. Shielding with the right stick feels a bit meh.

Other things I've noticed.....through balls don't tend to be very good, particularly when entering the attacking third. Messed up loads of very simple through passes due to the AI selecting the wrong receiver or the pass being terrible. The AI also seem to be one step ahead in terms of reacting to button presses....it makes the AI look psychic. Same can be said when you are dribbling.

Other than that, there is a really decent game in there but it feels borderline unplayable due to the above.

This game is so, so ugly this year. Awful pitch colours and textures, kits look way too bright (Bayern Munich player on loading screen makes my eyes bleed his kit is so red) there’s a weird sharpness effect applied to everything.

The lighting at times is absolutely woeful too.

I’ve had to drop colour slider on my tv so low it’s nearly black and white now.
Same. The colour palette is illuminous. I've had to turn brightness and contrast right down so it doesn't blind me

You never know with Konami but I was under the impression manual passing is manual but it varies among players anyway due to the players special passing abilities, weighted pass, Low lofted pass etc.

It's weird though since it says L2 is manual when you get those tips when waiting on a match to start.
PA0 certainly still has a tiny amount of assistance (you can feel it when passing just off the x/y axis and a defender is between you and the recipient). I don't bother with L2 to see if it's any MORE manual.

Same. The colour palette is illuminous. I've had to turn brightness and contrast right down so it doesn't blind me
Have you then quit out of PES and loaded another game? I went from PES to Days Gone last night and the game looked grey because my colour slider was so low!

Konami really are amateurs at times.

When the next patch comes out I'd like them to tweak wage budgets a little and bump them up a bit. You might have 80 million in your transfer budget but you can't actually buy an 80 million player as they want a wage you can't afford as you've only been given say 100K wage budget. An alternative would be the FIFA system where you can allocate transfer funds into extra wages.

I thought you could adjust budgets in PES like FM, excess transfer funds into wages etc and vice versa.

You can also give yourself a bigger starting budget in the ML options if you wish

The best you have is to go into Budget Options and change every income possible to go into salary and have contract options paid from transfer budget. You still end up with too much transfer and too little wage, for the first year or so it's quite a challenge with ML default players. I found each months budget report would bring a little bit extra budget which meant one more free signing was possible for the next window.

I also desperately talked down the wages of new (and existing players) and bump up all their bonuses. You can get down the likes of Arcas and Vlrany's salaries quite a lot. Also, renew players contract AFTER signing any new players. As contract renewals will let your wage budget go into the negative, signings do not.

One comment from fouls (since there seems to have been a long discussion over the last day or so).

Yes, there are fewer fouls called than there should be. It mainly seems to come from collisions where the AI (or me) haven't pressed a tackle button yet, but just used super cancel for jostling or I've done a change of pace to knock the ball past a defender. It just need a tweak to have collisions less reliant on the actual tackle buttons.

However, the AI certainly fouls more than I do in most games. You don't earn many fouls without effort though.

The most common foul (and often card) the AI give away is when running down the wing and you use a double tap sprint just as they get inside tackle range. They then slide and catch your player (sometime getting the ball after but catching you with their body first, sometimes just catching your ankles with their foot.

Fouls from standing tackles however require smart use of R2 and changes of pace. I was playing against a more aggressive PL team last night (I think Fulham, but might have been Burnley) and won 3-0. It was a hat-trick for my set-piece taker. He first scored a penalty (striker took the ball between two defenders and sandwiched by them), then a free-kick when the ball came out from the corner and I super-cancelled my player to bring the ball down at an angle from the rushing defender and he barged me down.

The third was a long range curler from outside the box and even on this I think I would've got another free-kick if it didn't go in as a defender came in late after the shot.

Apart from the 'fouls' where tackle isn't pressed (I mean slide of pressing/standing tackle buttons), I don't see an issue with the fouls in the game. I've played both Professional and Top Player in the Master League on PA0 from release.

Was playing last night, deep into my Milan save in ML (Super Star) and I was assaulted not once but TWICE in the opposition's (Napoli) penalty area. NOTHING given.

But when I'm defending, when I simply just stand there and let all controls go (I don't spam 'X' etc), the CPU attacker runs into my defender and whistle blows: FREE KICK. And you know what happens then?

I lost 3-1 to Napoli in the end, TWO of their goals were from free kicks. I've conceded goals from about 7-8 free kicks already in my first season. It completely DESTROYS the immersion. That just wouldn't happen in football.

This game is all over the place at times - it's a lovely, broken mess of a game. I love a lot about it but also know that I won't be playing it in a month's time. There's still far too much wrong with it.

They should be selling PES for £20 max these days. It's not worth a penny more.

@Negatrev Completely Disagree.

I can post numerous videos showing my players being fouled all over the pitch and nothing is given, yet if i even make shoulder to shoulder contact with a COM player, they are given the foul, its completely unbalanced.

35 matches on Top Player and the in-game stats show my fouls average over those matches as 0.02

I can post numerous videos showing my players being fouled all over the pitch and nothing is given, yet if i even make shoulder to shoulder contact with a COM player, they are given the foul, its completely unbalanced.

35 matches on Top Player and the in-game stats show my fouls average over those matches as 0.02
Exactly what I'm finding as well. It's infuriating. It's actually spoiling the game for me now, I've had to turn it off several times because of this.

Started editing everything myself last night on version 1.0, where I intend to stay, since Im enjoying it much more.
I dont have as much time as id like to, only about 2-3 hrs per evening, if im off.
Anyway - only managed to do 7 teams in EPL. And Im only doing kits and stadiums.. This will take me much longer than I thought. :LOL:
Nonetheless - having a great time doing it. Forgot how important and fun part of Pes the editing was!

Was playing last night, deep into my Milan save in ML (Super Star) and I was assaulted not once but TWICE in the opposition's (Napoli) penalty area. NOTHING given.

But when I'm defending, when I simply just stand there and let all controls go (I don't spam 'X' etc), the CPU attacker runs into my defender and whistle blows: FREE KICK. And you know what happens then?

I lost 3-1 to Napoli in the end, TWO of their goals were from free kicks. I've conceded goals from about 7-8 free kicks already in my first season. It completely DESTROYS the immersion. That just wouldn't happen in football.

This game is all over the place at times - it's a lovely, broken mess of a game. I love a lot about it but also know that I won't be playing it in a month's time. There's still far too much wrong with it.

They should be selling PES for £20 max these days. It's not worth a penny more.

Didn't see you comment regarding our proof of fouls.

Did you actually read my entire post, or just one sentence where I said the AI gives more fouls than me...

...your experience of the game is clearly very different from mine but you can't 'disagree' with my personal experience. It is 'true', it is happening and I'm quite happy with it. Perhaps try some of the advice I've given (or don't). But don't dismiss my experience.

Exactly what I'm finding as well. It's infuriating. It's actually spoiling the game for me now, I've had to turn it off several times because of this.

Me too - before I switched to professional where the game is so much more balanced.

Did you actually read my entire post, or just one sentence where I said the AI gives more fouls than me...

...your experience of the game is clearly very different from mine but you can't 'disagree' with my personal experience. It is 'true', it is happening and I'm quite happy with it. Perhaps try some of the advice I've given (or don't). But don't dismiss my experience.

But you didnt give any 'advice' you just constantly state how amazing your game is and dismiss anyone that highlights any negatives.

Its great that your personal experience seems different from many others, but as I stated, and as many hundreds if not thousands of players all over social media are stating, there is a distinct and obvious issue with the balancing of fouls in the game, simple fact.

Me too - before I switched to professional where the game is so much more balanced.

But you didnt give any 'advice' you just constantly state how amazing your game is and dismiss anyone that highlights any negatives.

Its great that your personal experience seems different from many others, but as I stated, and as many hundreds if not thousands of players all over social media are stating, there is a distinct and obvious issue with the balancing of fouls in the game, simple fact.

...so you didn't read my post then.

Hi guys, can somebody help me with this problem?

I have bought efootball pes 2020 on Steam.

When I start the game the live update doesn't work. If I go to edit and click on live update I get this code Code:SGJC_0001 please restart the game.

I have restart the game but still doesn't work!!!

I have deleted de save folder but still not working..

New finding. For those you edited Beerschot and Palermo fake placeholders. The team rosters are bonded to the live updates , which means, every time you apply a Live Update the roster will revert to the default one, this with Fiji Island and Papua New Guinea players.
The only solution is to stop applying Live Updates, which is inevitable after the next DAtapack, or create players over the current ones,overwrite them creating a fantasy team or anything.
They work exactly like Bastia of 2018 and the two relegated Chinese clubs last Spring .

They should have just removed those two teams completely with the first datapack, they're just going to be a pain for everyone going forward.

@Negatrev You mean this bit?

One comment from fouls (since there seems to have been a long discussion over the last day or so).

The most common foul (and often card) the AI give away is when running down the wing and you use a double tap sprint just as they get inside tackle range. They then slide and catch your player (sometime getting the ball after but catching you with their body first, sometimes just catching your ankles with their foot.

This isn't advice, you are just stating whats happened in your game.
FYI when the COM slide tackles me, 99% of the time its a laser guided slide tackle from any angle that clean takes the ball and they regain possession, no mistimed tackles, no random deflections of the ball out of touch or into open space, just laser guided accurate possession winning slide tackles, the very very few that do not take the ball and take my man go unpunished.

Fouls from standing tackles however require smart use of R2 and changes of pace. I was playing against a more aggressive PL team last night (I think Fulham, but might have been Burnley) and won 3-0. It was a hat-trick for my set-piece taker. He first scored a penalty (striker took the ball between two defenders and sandwiched by them), then a free-kick when the ball came out from the corner and I super-cancelled my player to bring the ball down at an angle from the rushing defender and he barged me down.

It's rare I get to use R2 and changes of pace as the second I receive possession there are 2 or 3 COM players instantly and insanely pressuring me and just shoved my player off the ball.

The third was a long range curler from outside the box and even on this I think I would've got another free-kick if it didn't go in as a defender came in late after the shot.

Here you are just assuming you will get a free kick.

Apart from the 'fouls' where tackle isn't pressed (I mean slide of pressing/standing tackle buttons), I don't see an issue with the fouls in the game. I've played both Professional and Top Player in the Master League on PA0 from release.

Again,this comment is just based on your own apparent experience with your game, and its great that you personally dont see an issue, but thousands of people all over social media complaining about fouls, lack of fouls, unbalanced nature of fouls, poor referring logic, all suggest that there IS an issue with fouls.

Back
Top Bottom