eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

I’m not going to lie but I’m loving this..

The ebb..The flow..Those moments..The half chances.

There’s nothing like being Locked down in a
20 minute games where chances are limited and half chances come and go..

This isn’t a game about just walking through defences..You have to think,be patient and ultimately play football to win..You create the script and the rewards are reflective of what you put in..

It’s a love letter to the hardcore and those that love there digital football to work on a much more simulated level..especially in with less assistance..

Personally I don’t think real football has ever been so replicated so well in digital form..

Last edited:
Don't know why I read this thread. It's a miserable experience :LOL:
Look literally one post up from your post, hahaha!

It amazes me that every year, every PES, month one is the same - opinion is either "sex is like watching paint dry in comparison to this PES, playing it was the defining moment of my existence" or "if I had to either eat dog puke or play PES, I'd get out a spoon". It's wild.

The reality is, if you like the demo, you'll like the patched full game, but you'll miss fouls.

I’m not going to lie but I’m loving this..

The ebb..The flow..Those moments..The half chances.

There’s nothing like being Locked down in a
20 minute games where chances are limited and half chances come and go..

This isn’t a game about just walking through defences..You have to think,be patient and ultimately play football to win..You create the script and the rewards are reflective of what you put in..

It’s a love letter to the hardcore and those that love there digital football to work on a much more simulated level..especially in with less assistance..

Personally I don’t think real football has ever been so replicated so well in digital form..

I suppose you‘re still talking about version 1.0 ? It‘s a f*** shame that we can‘t import option files into that version :(

Look literally one post up from your post, hahaha!

It amazes me that every year, every PES, month one is the same - opinion is either "sex is like watching paint dry in comparison to this PES, playing it was the defining moment of my existence" or "if I had to either eat dog puke or play PES, I'd get out a spoon". It's wild.

The reality is, if you like the demo, you'll like the patched full game, but you'll miss fouls.

What is your opinion this year Chris? If i remember it correct, the demo wasnt for you - So do you think it's completely ''b*******''?

I am sorry if this has been asked before but on the PS4 are you able to download the digital version and then prevent it from installing the patch?
Previous patches to the date you install it, no. Subsequent patches, yes. So you can't get it back to 1.0. It will arrive as 1.1. But you can stop it getting to 1.2.

What is your opinion this year Chris? If i remember it correct, the demo wasnt for you - So do you think it's completely ''b*******''?
My thoughts are on the previous page, mate. In a nutshell:

I'm enjoying the game but man it's turgid. It's pass, pass, pass trying to create opportunities. I keep turning up the match length to allow more time but half my games have been 0-0. [The demo] made you stop holding X [to avoid fouls], sometimes allowing the AI space - which allows them to score - and the AI would concede free kicks when they got too close, which you would score. That resulted in a match where stuff happened.

Right now... Not much happens.

A big tip guys: if you usually play Superstar in Master League drop it down to Top Player this year. It loosens up the game and makes it far more enjoyable.

Superstar is way, way too difficult this year and simply not enjoyable.

I don´t have the game yet and been reading all your impressions.

I don´t believe in placebo, I noticed myself, that one the PC demo after one of the updates, fouls have been reworked.

And reading your impressions prepatch and postpatch, I really do believe that because this community is full of experienced PES players who know what they are talking about and because we had that so often in the past.
So actually we shouldn´t be surprised.

But physicality, player errors and all that been big reasons why I loved the demo.

Reading that this has been toned down is a hard kick in my nuts.

A big tip guys: if you usually play Superstar in Master League drop it down to Top Player this year. It loosens up the game and makes it far more enjoyable.

Superstar is way, way too difficult this year and simply not enjoyable.
I found Top Player way too easy - the AI misses really basic interceptions and basic shooting seems much easier. Maybe because I've just got used to Superstar, which is a good balance except for the fact that defences are always packed. Legend starts to turn Barnsley into Barcelona.

I found Top Player way too easy - the AI misses really basic interceptions and basic shooting seems much easier. Maybe because I've just got used to Superstar, which is a good balance except for the fact that defences are always packed. Legend starts to turn Barnsley into Barcelona.
In Master League? You must be good at this as I suck in Superstar!

I haven’t tried Legend yet.

I don´t have the game yet and been reading all your impressions.

I don´t believe in placebo, I noticed myself, that one the PC demo after one of the updates, fouls have been reworked.

And reading your impressions prepatch and postpatch, I really do believe that because this community is full of experienced PES players who know what they are talking about and because we had that so often in the past.
So actually we shouldn´t be surprised.

But physicality, player errors and all that been big reasons why I loved the demo.

Reading that this has been toned down is a hard kick in my nuts.

I called it back on Friday when all we had was some Twitch streams:

https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/e...n-thread-ps4-xbox.80426/page-322#post-3424501

The idea that ppl who have been playing PES for 15 years can't tell such basic differences is ridiculous

Bloody hell, you must be good at the game.

I started a ML with Man City and have managed just one 1 - 0 win in 5 games.

I was winning games by 3/4 goals in exhibition though.

I don’t think goals are difficult to score or are the defences to rigid..

Egos aside I think this game is designed to be this way..Being hard to break down defences and get in behind a team.

Bare in mind 3 months from now when people have had extensive play time and are really good at the game..

Personally I think there’s a massive learning curve..Things and ways of scoring that I haven’t tapped into yet..There’s a lot of learning to be done.

Reminds me so much of early pes on the ps2 and how hard it was for the first few weeks to score and break teams down.

I say this without hesitation but for me football games had become to easy and simplistic..Goals have been to easy to come by and defences to easy to bypass..

I now know after a weekend with this years game why I had become more and more bored of football games..

I feel rejuvenated again..There’s a challenge and something to get my teeth into..That asks more questions then it gives simple answers!

I also think we’ve been conditioned by ten years of football games that are very simplistic to play...and very easy to score..

Last edited:
I have the game and I've found that Top Player is a bit too easy and Superstar is a bit too hard. Best thing to do in my opinion is to play on Superstar but put the pass assist to level 2. I find you have a much more balanced, enjoyable game this way.

I don’t think goals are difficult to score or are the defences to rigid..

Egos aside I think this game is designed to be this way..Being hard to break down defences and get in behind a team.

Bare in mind 3 months from now when people have had extensive play time and are really good at the game..

Personally I think there’s a massive learning curve..Things and ways of scoring that I haven’t tapped into yet..There’s a lot of learning to be done.

Reminds me so much of early pes on the ps2 and how hard it was for the first few weeks to score and break teams down.

I say this without hesitation but for me football games had become to easy and simplistic..Goals have been to easy to come by and defences to easy to bypass..

I now know after a weekend with this years game why I had become more and more bored of football games..

I feel rejuvenated again..There’s a challenge and something to get my teeth into..That asks more questions then it gives simple answers!
There’s definitely a huge learning curve this year and it’s what keeps me going back to it.

Some of the attacking plays I’m putting together are a joy to watch at times.

This game is going to take time to adjust to.

Hey guys, Hope you all had a good weekend and those that received the game have been enjoying it.
Got my copy Saturday morning, busy weekend but have managed about 15 matches, just friendlies, playing 6 minute halves, on Top Player with custom Stadium cam, Zoom: 7, Height : 0, Angle: 8

My early initial impressions are very good. As someone who hated PES 19, and the abysmal AI, its much improved.
First off to address the two main points, I don't feel pace has been upped, but responsiveness has which can seem like the game is quicker.
I also found the pace/responsiveness varies between teams, playing a Brazilian league match, or even English Div 2 match seems slower paced than a Premier league or La Liga match.
Also fouls, they have been toned down from the demo for sure, you dont get a lot of the little nudge and bump fouls from the demo, which did get infuriating at times, but I've had no trouble drawing fouls from the COM by dribbling, R2 close control dribbling, using the shield and dash mechanic etc, by nature, the less time you spend with the ball, the less opportunity you have of being fouled, ie playing a quick pass and move game will yield less fouls than if you dribble a lot.

Overall think the game looks and feels fantastic, some of the realistic moves you can piece together look and feel sublime, just hope it all holds together within ML mode.

A few goals from my first session on the game.

Last edited:
Love that Tavernier goal in there. Thats PES in a nutshell for me, love those scrappy goals where everything to happens at random like it can in football.

Also when Callejon got that ball for Napoli, I was screaming 'bang it' and you didnt disappoint :D

Can I nip to New Zealand when I get in from work and start playing then?

Rumour is you have to learn this first, so good luck with that :WOOT:

giphy.gif

Domestic Cup matches are still at a neutral stadium. So annoying!
This is frustrating, and also - I've started setting grass length to "short" to make the ball a bit more lively, and I really like it, but you can only do this in your home matches.

What the fuck is it, seriously, with Konami locking things? (Let me rant for a minute.)

You can't assign certain stadiums to teams because they're region-locked. You can't change grass length when you play away, it's locked. You can't use Legend mode until you win on Superstar five times. Why lock it away?

You can't change what stadium cup games are held in on-the-fly, or edit this into the "competition rules" so that it's never a neutral venue again during the initital stages. You can't edit the African club team (Pleasure Horn), they're hidden. Edit mode hasn't changed, other than being able to edit the sponsors that appear on boards behind you in the dreadful cut-scenes and any news item images.

What is this obsession with locking stuff away?

Love that Tavernier goal in there. Thats PES in a nutshell for me, love those scrappy goals where everything to happens at random like it can in football.

Also when Callejon got that ball for Napoli, I was screaming 'bang it' and you didnt disappoint :D

That's why I left the Tavernier goal in there along with the bangers, because it was the realism of the move, picking the ball up, driving at the defense cutting inside using pace and momentum, hitting the shot, which was deflected, saved but just crept over the line, we need these types of goals as well as the 30 yarders.

The Callejon goal was my very first goal in my very first match on PES 20 so was nice to get off to a flying start ;-)
Thanks for your comments mate

Hi mates, I've made a video compilating some brilliant moments playing what I consider the best football game I've played ever: PES 2020 demo.:WORSHIP:

Its a collection of goals, skills and details that demo has gifted me and make me amazed with his posibilities of this incredible virtual representation of football.

I hope this feeling was only a pice of the cake for what it coming in final game.
Then.. enjoy it!!:WASTED:

This is frustrating, and also - I've started setting grass length to "short" to make the ball a bit more lively, and I really like it, but you can only do this in your home matches.

What the fuck is it, seriously, with Konami locking things? (Let me rant for a minute.)

Haha feel your angst mate, I've been this way with PES for years, but I totally understand the grass thing....
its to simulate you being able to manipulate the turf length in HOME matches to suit how you play, if Man City are visiting, you might let the grass grow and keep it longer so their quick passing and moving game isn't so sharp.

You can't change it for AWAY games, as you cant really turn up with your Flymo at the Emirates and start cutting another teams grass can you. lol.

Irrelevant anyway as I highly doubt the grass length has any impact whatsoever, its purely cosmetic.

You can't assign certain stadiums to teams because they're region-locked. You can't change grass length when you play away, it's locked. You can't use Legend mode until you win on Superstar five times. Why lock it away?

You can't change what stadium cup games are held in on-the-fly, or edit this into the "competition rules" so that it's never a neutral venue again during the initital stages. You can't edit the African club team (Pleasure Horn), they're hidden. Edit mode hasn't changed, other than being able to edit the sponsors that appear on boards behind you in the dreadful cut-scenes and any news item images.

What is this obsession with locking stuff away?
I agree with you it’s infuriating. My theory to why they do stuff like that? It’s just Japanese quirky-ness, if there was such a word.

Back
Top Bottom