eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

Need to be careful with these requests to tone down mechanics like shielding from the demo or we'll end up back at PES 2019 again... and nobody surely wants that!:LOL: I'm mean they've already watered down physicality, defending/tackling, the general sense of freedom in dribbling and rendered finesse dribbling fairly pointless in the process... that's not a good direction of travel for the game, we know they take this feedback and go way to far half the time as well.

I notice some members here tend to complaint petty things that went against their way.

Overpowered shielding? Well maybe because the opponents are STRONGER than your CB. Man marked him, play a higher defense line, use tight marking, pair a big and strong CB, or maybe just simply turned down the difficulty.

I mean all the tools are already in the game. You have to take every game individually, be more proactive. And you are playing on higher difficulty, what do you expect?

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

As I said, this happens regardless of the size of the player or the stats of the players. A 75 rated, 5'6 striker can comfortably shield a massive, hulking CB.

Shielding is overpowered. Fact. Praise the game where it deserves it, but don't be a blind apologist in regards to its faults.

In previous game i always thought how could the developer make the game more physical by adding shielding, pushing or barging in the game, perhaps with a separate button or special command. It's always going to be tricky.

But PES 2020 surpassed my expectation, they actually incorporate it contextually without having user to input any special command. I think this is indeed a big leap considering the game engine's age. So yeah, say what you want, overpowered or not this is a welcome addition for me on personal level. Football is always going to be a contact sports.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

As I said, this happens regardless of the size of the player or the stats of the players. A 75 rated, 5'6 striker can comfortably shield a massive, hulking CB.

Shielding is overpowered. Fact. Praise the game where it deserves it, but don't be a blind apologist in regards to its faults.
You don't need to be big and strong to shield the ball in real life either. It just requires more effort.

Differences between the disc copy and the update;

For me not many but the one that sticks out is the dribbling.

I'm not a trick dribbler, but on the disc version suddenly players like Eriksen are useful. You can turn in and out to beat them and then burst to leave them behind.

In turn the CPU dribbles as well, dangerous players are dangerous.

Both of these things make the game play differently as it's now possible to break the lines. You can pass, pass dribble then pass which changes things quite a bit.

When I have enough time I Will post the tive Golden rules for football game to be a good representation of the sport.

Differences between the disc copy and the update;

I'm not a trick dribbler, but on the disc version suddenly players like Eriksen are useful. You can turn in and out to beat them and then burst to leave them behind.

In turn the CPU dribbles as well, dangerous players are dangerous.

Both of these things make the game play differently as it's now possible to break the lines. You can pass, pass dribble then pass which changes things quite a bit.
Thank you for that feedback!!
And there is even more under the hood with vanilla, imo!
Have a look at physicality and how it is average for you and AI! It’s fair, imo!
Have a look at how passes (and the speed while releasing!!!) are different.
Have a look at ball randomness and how it’s more equal between you and AI to grab that loose ball!

Did I mention already that I’m in love with 1.0?! :D

For people having issues with the ai I would really recommend going through each team especially in the league your playing in and turn off deep defensive line. It changes completely how the ai play. Makes them move dangerous attacking wise and stops from the sitting in a block. I don't know who at Konami thought it was a good idea but just spend an hour doing it and you will enjoy the game infinity more.

You don't even need to change the tactics just remove deep defensive line.

Last edited:
Thats the most annoying thing.
Its not many, but all the little things add up and create this balanced, fluid and smooth gameplay, which is really hard to deny that its been somewhat lost.

To the things you and Pro_Too said id have to add First Touch, which is much more complex on vanilla. Animations are more complex, players have to take time when receiving a ball, but its all in a nice and smooth fashion, that doesnt feel rough, rushed or unresponsive. This, together with longer time needed to power up your pass results in slower and more natural pace, which doesnt give you these fast-slow moments from the current version.

Is it worth going without gameplay updates for a year to play the disc version, I'd say defiantly.

Is it worth going without kits, transfers etc to play it is a tougher question. Think it depends a lot on what league you plan to play in. If I went back to a ML with Milan it'd be fine. If I was playing with Tottenham though....

Is it worth going without gameplay updates for a year to play the disc version, I'd say defiantly.

Is it worth going without kits, transfers etc to play it is a tougher question. Think it depends a lot on what league you plan to play in. If I went back to a ML with Milan it'd be fine. If I was playing with Tottenham though....
And that is a tough cookie to swallow...

On one hand - you will feel relief, as there will be no fear, that they will break it along the way. You can just sit back and enjoy.

On the other hand, if you play EPL or Bundesliga - its a lot to give up, especially that Pes presentation, as it stands, is poor AF... :LOL:

Righty.
Im good with the licensed leagues that come with the disc.
Sure, I want to import an OF! Sure want the latest updates. But 1.0 gameplay is so nice, I’ll sacrifice all that!!

It's difficult this, I like v 1.2 but going to try 1.0 for a bit as Ive only done a few kits so far. My issue is if 1.3 ruins it there will be no going back to 1.2 and you could have a fully up to date version with kits for most of the year if you stick at 1.2 with all kits done

It's difficult this, I like v 1.2 but going to try 1.0 for a bit as Ive only done a few kits so far. My issue is if 1.3 ruins it there will be no going back to 1.2 and you could have a fully up to date version with kits for most of the year if you stick at 1.2 with all kits done
My issue is slightly different but equally fucked up...
I decided I will edit everything myself, starting tomorrow. Will take me a while but I will get there. Wont look as smashing as all the OF's, but it will be decent.
Now lets say they bring 1.3 and people say its savage. Fouls are back, dribbling more responsive, pace natural...
I'll go to 1.3 and decide I dont like it...
Go back to 1.0 and have to start from scratch... :LOL: :LOL:

The only thing is, @hitmanuk , you still have the window to experiment. They said end of October, so you can easily test 1.0 for the whole week and then quickly go back to 1.2, update the whole lot and disconnect the net. :LOL:

In previous game i always thought how could the developer make the game more physical by adding shielding, pushing or barging in the game, perhaps with a separate button or special command. It's always going to be tricky.

But PES 2020 surpassed my expectation, they actually incorporate it contextually without having user to input any special command. I think this is indeed a big leap considering the game engine's age. So yeah, say what you want, overpowered or not this is a welcome addition for me on personal level. Football is always going to be a contact sports.

Yeah I also appreciate this addition.

And KONAMI is Going on the right route on this aspect.

Protecting the ball is something players do by intinct, not a mere choice. When suddenly they feel the threat, they by instinct use their back and strengh to protect, so It makes perfect sense that this is contextual and not a Button tô activate whenever You want.

Good dribblers with small size on the other game rely more on their close Control skills and their ability to take Quick and tight turns to leave defenders behind.

What I think KONAMI should do is to make players overall less resistent to pressure from their back and lose balance way more often, and get fouls as a result of too much pressure.

One thing that made the old good pés games stand out is the sensitive of the X Button, both for passing and pressure. Holding X too much as an attempt to steal the ball made the agressiveness and strengh put on players back significantly increase the risk of fouls. And when It comes to passing, making First time passing also increased the sensitivity of the passing bar, wich would mess things up, making It more prone to error, harder for the passing reciever to controle the ball and that was when ALL the deflections, rebounds, unpredictability and an exciting fight for ball possession started, also thanks to an individual AI that was alert enough to anticipate and move towards whenever there was a chance of getting possession back.

I miss these things.

Fuck sake

Gonna have to buy the disc version now. The difference dribbling makes is too profound, both for and against.

Facing up defenders with Suso and leaving them with just footwork. Up the other end Coutinho done 3 of my defenders.

Player switching seema better as well, as does the speed differences between players. Much more demo like.

Last edited:
What I think KONAMI should do is to make players overall less resistent to pressure from their back and lose balance way more often, and get fouls as a result of too much pressure.

That sounds like how it was in the demo to me! But Konami didn't have the bravery to stick to their guns.

I'm wondering if nerfing the dribbling was an artificial way of increasing the difficulty.

Just beat Barcelona 2-0 on Superstar, mainly because I was able to create attacks that wouldn't be possible on the full PC release.

I need to go back and play that version now to make sure this isn't all in my head.

what i dont understand that i go to pes instagram and twitter and i read comments of people syaing this is worst trash game ever.demo is better blah blah.i dont understand how so many people think this game is trash.sure it has its flaws but i dont get people syaing its worst game ever because its not like the demo.can someone please explain these type of comments.

Back
Top Bottom